Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Incredible Performance from Streep

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Incredible Performance from Streep Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Incredible Performance from Streep - 11/1/2012 8:55:27 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Excellent write-ups there Dr L & LH.

Will be looking to add my own review in the next few days. Sadly though it won't be an alternative viewpoint....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 31
RE: Incredible Performance from Streep - 12/1/2012 10:08:44 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Well Acted by the 2 leads & Anthony Head but the Directing was shocking it really should've been a made for TV mini-series or if a film it had to be at least 45 minutes longer as the way things like The Miners strike was just glossed over in roughly a minute was "PATHETIC!" you neede someone with a bit more bite a British Oliver Stone somebody like Paul Greengrass for example.
A dissapointing 2*

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 32
The Never Ending Tory indeed......... - 12/1/2012 6:18:26 PM   
n13roy

Just come back from seeing it today, and its actually a MUCH better Film than I thought it was going to be, although I can see just WHY its got such mixed reviews. Meryl Streep is amazing as " The Iron Lady " here, and must surely get an Oscar for this performance, at times its difficult to say its NOT the real Margaret Thatcher on screen, as she plays her part with perfection, even the voice is convincing, not bad for an American actress, methinks. I think this Film will appeal to a certain age group though, mainly those who lived through her reign as Prime Minister, so perhaps its not going to be as popular as it should be.........

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
- 14/1/2012 1:21:46 AM   
david hayes

haters gonna hate

Post #: 34
The Iron Lady Review - 14/1/2012 3:38:57 PM   
the film man

Meryl Streep's performance as The Iron Lady is reliably perfect, but it's mired in bland, self-important storytelling.

Post #: 35
RE: The Never Ending Tory indeed......... - 19/1/2012 3:50:41 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: n13roy

Just come back from seeing it today, and its actually a MUCH better Film than I thought it was going to be, although I can see just WHY its got such mixed reviews. Meryl Streep is amazing as " The Iron Lady " here, and must surely get an Oscar for this performance, at times its difficult to say its NOT the real Margaret Thatcher on screen, as she plays her part with perfection, even the voice is convincing, not bad for an American actress, methinks. I think this Film will appeal to a certain age group though, mainly those who lived through her reign as Prime Minister, so perhaps its not going to be as popular as it should be.........

I actaully think the opposit.
People who did live through Her ruling wouldnt go near this film with a bargpole,while others who didnt will go into this film with less assumption/criticization.
Personally I felt the film lacked edge and was only telling one side of the story where I think it should have been more rounded.
The acting is solid enough and Streeps performance certainly deserves its praise.

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 19/1/2012 3:52:07 PM >

(in reply to n13roy)
Post #: 36
RE: Incredible Performance from Streep - 20/1/2012 6:08:40 PM   
MissElizabeth43

Meryl Streep was indeed amazing in this film, as she is in every film of course! Obviously, the part had Oscar-Winner written all over it, as did Colin Firth's part in last year's big hit The King's Speech.
Without including any political alliance in my review (not having been born when Mrs Thatcher was in power), I thought this film was fascinating. It portrays Maggie as an old woman, gone slightly mad, reflecting on her life, love and regret. I feel like I have learned a little something today.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 37
RE: Incredible Performance from Streep - 20/1/2012 7:32:20 PM   
kargon

Havent seen it don't intend to, forking Bitch

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to MissElizabeth43)
Post #: 38
Oscar-bait, faux-now - 20/2/2012 5:25:30 PM   
Jas_SJ2

"Iron Lady Streep terrorises/humanises equally, but narratively the film sacrifices edgy political history for an Oscar-bait, faux-now. 7/10" (www.twitter.com/jasinlondon - It's all about life, the arts & politics.)

Post #: 39
Oscar-bait, faux-now - 20/2/2012 5:25:32 PM   
Jas_SJ2

"Iron Lady Streep terrorises/humanises equally, but narratively the film sacrifices edgy political history for an Oscar-bait, faux-now. 7/10" (www.twitter.com/jasinlondon - It's all about life, the arts & politics.)

Post #: 40
The Iron Lady Review - 11/3/2012 2:25:45 PM   
DaleLawson

The film does drag on a little too long, and the audience’s interest of Thatcher as a character is questionable from the word go. But the main problem I have with The Iron Lady is how it is clearly attempting to leach off of the success of The King’s Speech (Dir. David Seidler, 2010). Throughout the film I was continuously finding comparisons between the two films, mainly elocution lessons. Copying aspects of The King’s Speech was not a correct choice for the producers to make, as The Iron Lady does not compare to that of The King’s Speech.

Post #: 41
A Shallow Portrait - 15/2/2013 10:46:15 AM   
blaud

To make a film about Margaret Thatcher's political career is one thing, but to make one about her personal life as well is quite another. People seem to forget that Thatcher was an intensely controversial figure; for everyone that loved her, an equal amount loathed her, and one thing this film is NOT concerned with, is objectivity. This is lovingly crafted figure-fellatio on a grand scale; it's portrait is one of change and inspiration, and whilst it is interesting to see Margaret overcoming initial obstacles to become prime minister, there is really nothing interesting to be gained from this film. Throw in a subplot relating to Thatcher's alzheimer's leading to her daily interactions with her dead husband, and in the end, all you're left with is a Sixth Sense-style soap opera where the characters just happens to become a PM. Filmic waffle

Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Incredible Performance from Streep Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI