Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

It's good but it's bad

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> It's good but it's bad Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
It's good but it's bad - 1/1/2012 9:34:44 PM   
filipe

A movie that you really love but know that it's really bad
Post #: 1
RE: It's good but it's bad - 3/1/2012 3:24:26 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: filipe

A movie that you really love but know that it's really bad

Aha, Guilty Pleasures.

Loads of overblown 80s and 90s stuff but Commando always appears around the top of the list. It's ridiculous, unintentionally hilarious cheese but by God it's fun. The Nostalgia Critic made a great review vid ages ago with the sign off summing it up perfectly IMO: "God bless you Commando you stupid, stupid movie."

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to filipe)
Post #: 2
RE: It's good but it's bad - 3/1/2012 3:29:56 PM   
JIm R

Whether it can be regraded as 'really, really bad' I'm not sure but I have a nostaglic and found love of

Biggles : Adventures in Time

For no reason whatsoever other than I love it,  there is no reason why I should I love it, but I do. It's got bad central performances, not entirely the best story, limited budget, it's a wee bit 'camp' but it has Peter Cushing's final screen performance so all is forgiven

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 3
RE: It's good but it's bad - 3/1/2012 5:56:03 PM   
filipe

I think that the series that most fix in this post is the twilight saga, the movies are shit, the performances are shit there re really few things that we can get out of these series. But the truth is that many many people watchs this series and loves it, why that happens I don't know, if you can explain....

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 4
RE: It's good but it's bad - 3/1/2012 6:22:35 PM   
filmfanatic123

For some reason I love Green Street.

It's awfully acted, atrociously directed and shockingly scripted.

Still entertains me whenever it's on.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to filipe)
Post #: 5
RE: It's good but it's bad - 3/1/2012 6:37:03 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

um, pretty much every film i like

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to filmfanatic123)
Post #: 6
RE: It's good but it's bad - 3/1/2012 9:56:57 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I shall put forward the following: Batman and Robin, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Showgirls, Burlesque, Van Helsing, anything by Jess Franco and The Devils Sword (starring the awesome Barry Prima).

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 7
RE: It's good but it's bad - 4/1/2012 12:04:22 AM   
Bloke from Oz

There's quite a number of existing threads which already cover this very topic; I won't be surprised if this one gets locked (pretty soon)...

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to filipe)
Post #: 8
RE: It's good but it's bad - 4/1/2012 10:09:09 AM   
messiahtime

Mean Girls :D Also easy on the eye :D

Zurple is the new black and has always been!!!

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 9
RE: It's good but it's bad - 5/1/2012 9:31:21 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

We didn't want to say anything...

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 10
RE: It's good but it's bad - 5/1/2012 10:50:51 AM   
m_er

What Women Want ??!!

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 11
RE: It's good but it's bad - 5/1/2012 11:19:39 AM   
Cool Breeze

Cobra.

GI Joe.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 12
RE: It's good but it's bad - 8/1/2012 12:29:49 PM   
Santoka

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Whether it can be regraded as 'really, really bad' I'm not sure but I have a nostaglic and found love of

Biggles : Adventures in Time

For no reason whatsoever other than I love it,  there is no reason why I should I love it, but I do. It's got bad central performances, not entirely the best story, limited budget, it's a wee bit 'camp' but it has Peter Cushing's final screen performance so all is forgiven

+1 on Commando... The 80's produced some of the greatest 'gulity pleasures' ever "stick around Bennett"

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 13
RE: It's good but it's bad - 8/1/2012 1:27:53 PM   
filipe

the scorpion king...

(in reply to Santoka)
Post #: 14
RE: It's good but it's bad - 8/1/2012 10:03:34 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: filipe

I think that the series that most fix in this post is the twilight saga, the movies are shit, the performances are shit there re really few things that we can get out of these series. But the truth is that many many people watchs this series and loves it, why that happens I don't know, if you can explain....

Personally, I wouldn't count the Twilight films, simply because the majority of the people who love them don't actually believe they're bad films. So, as such, they don't count as a guilty pleasure.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to filipe)
Post #: 15
RE: It's good but it's bad - 8/1/2012 10:18:13 PM   
rich

Commando is a classic, what are you on about

Meanwhile...

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 16
RE: It's good but it's bad - 9/1/2012 10:06:28 AM   
filipe

fair enough

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 17
RE: It's good but it's bad - 23/4/2012 11:52:53 PM   
Whistler

I wouldn't say it was "bad" (obviously), but I LOVE the '91 version of Father Of The Bride

(in reply to filipe)
Post #: 18
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 12:00:23 AM   
Hood_Man

Dante's Peak apparently.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 19
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 12:09:30 AM   
MonsterCat

Mamma Mia.

Yeah, I said it.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 20
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 12:24:09 AM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Mamma Mia.

Yeah, I said it.

Isn't this considered incitement to hatred?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 21
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 1:12:42 AM   
Toast

The Core

For some reason UK TV broadcasters like to show it a lot, or at least they did and whenever it was on I would watch it. Which means I have seen it well over 15 times now. I know it's crap, I'm sure the people who made and star in it think it's crap. But I love it.

Troll 2, is also fantastic.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 22
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 10:32:43 AM   
st3veebee

I never understand the concept of Guilty Pleasures. Why should you feel guilty about enjoying a film? Also, if you enjoy them, are they really bad?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Toast)
Post #: 23
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 11:38:51 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I never understand the concept of Guilty Pleasures. Why should you feel guilty about enjoying a film? Also, if you enjoy them, are they really bad?

It's an excellent point. Really it doesn't matter what others think of your viewing preferences. If it works for you, then great.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 24
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 11:54:22 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Mamma Mia.

Yeah, I said it.

Isn't this considered incitement to hatred?

It's incitement to violence certainly because since reading it I've had the urge to punch MC into a heaving bloody pulp...

All jokes aside though I don't subscribe to the guilty pleasure thing. I likes what I like and don't really give a flying one what anyone else thinks.

I would be embarassed if I liked Mamma Mia though, just sayin' .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 24/4/2012 11:55:44 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 25
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 12:05:15 PM   
jcthefirst

The Resident Evil films.

All of 'em.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 26
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 12:09:29 PM   
Russ Whitfield

I rate Paul WS Anderson as a writer and director - I don't even feel guilty about it.

The Resident Evil movies are brilliant entertainment, love 'em.

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 27
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 12:15:46 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

It's incitement to violence certainly because since reading it I've had the urge to punch MC into a heaving bloody pulp...

It's a car crash of a film, but I like it. The textbook example of so bad it's entertaining.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/4/2012 12:16:33 PM >

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 28
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 1:23:37 PM   
MattTheBadger

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

The Resident Evil films.

All of 'em.

Yes I'm going Resident Evil here as well - even though I know they're basically rubbish (crap acting, appalling dialogue, plot holes you could drive a Mazda through), there's something weirdly compelling about them. I may even go to watch the 5th instalment at the cinema (having found all the others in the bargain bin at Asda at one time or another). I was contemplating buying an 'Umbrella Corporation' t-shirt off Nerdoh the other day but felt that was too flamboyant in my coming out of the closet of Resident Evil-love.

In fact Paul WS Anderson clearly is a master of this genre as Event Horizon also springs to mind under this sub-heading.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 29
RE: It's good but it's bad - 24/4/2012 1:28:54 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: MattTheBadger

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

The Resident Evil films.

All of 'em.

Yes I'm going Resident Evil here as well - even though I know they're basically rubbish (crap acting, appalling dialogue, plot holes you could drive a Mazda through), there's something weirdly compelling about them. I may even go to watch the 5th instalment at the cinema (having found all the others in the bargain bin at Asda at one time or another). I was contemplating buying an 'Umbrella Corporation' t-shirt off Nerdoh the other day but felt that was too flamboyant in my coming out of the closet of Resident Evil-love.

In fact Paul WS Anderson clearly is a master of this genre as Event Horizon also springs to mind under this sub-heading.

I too have never seen any of them in the cinema and don't intend to see the fifth there either.

I wrote this not so long ago:

My guilty pleasure film, or rather franchise, is Resident Evil and all its sequels. I’ve seen and enjoyed them all, even though deep down…actually not even that deep down, I know that they’re terrible. In fact, the second one (Apocalypse) is probably one of the worst films I’ve ever seen, and perhaps one of the worst films of all time, and films 3 and 4 (Afterlife and Extinction) are just about passable. Yet I love the series.

Here are some of the problems with the series:

- It’s not very scary, which you’d think would be a pre-requisite of a horror film.
- Most of the acting is…not great.
- Despite being an ongoing franchise there is no coherency between films, besides “ARGH! ZOMBIES!”
- There is nothing original in them at all.
- Every scare is telegraphed a mile away taking away any shock value.

I should point out at this juncture that I’m not a rabid fanboy of the Resident Evil game series; I’ve played them and liked them but, as you may have guessed, I don’t really care that the movies don’t follow the games at all, which is why it isn’t on my list of problems. In fact, I quite like that they’ve taken the basic premise of the series (the T-virus) and ran with it in a completely different way to the games. In the films, there are nods to the games, most notably by adding in the game series’ most memorable monsters, such as the lickers, the Nemesis and the Executioner, as well as having characters who have been in the games (Leon and Clare Kennedy, Jill Valentine) but these are just recognisable elements of the franchise as a whole and not really anything else, like George Lucas sticking Chewbacca in Sith even though it’s beyond pointless.

However, I can’t help but love them. Milla Jovovich is a fantastic action movie babe, and eminently watchable in each film, even though all she has to do is look good and shoot guns which to be fair she does with aplomb. The villains ham it up a lot, and are a lot of fun because of it, especially Afterlife’s Albert Wesker. The series always has awesome final shots (the standout being the end of the first film, which pulls back through an entire decimated cityscape). The action, for the most part, is really quite good, notably the shootout in the ruins of Las Vegas in Afterlife. There are some really cool little touches, the laser grid moment for instance in the first film. And in possibly the franchises greatest moment there’s a point in the first movie where the heroine, Alice, kicks a zombie dog in the face. It’s enjoyably batshit bonkers, and is the epitome of brainless cinema.

And I bloody love it for that.

But I feel so bloody bad for doing so.

In fact, I'm fairly certain that I have a copy of the first film in my collection. I've never seen any opf these films in the cinema, but you can bet that the second the forthcoming fifth film in the series comes out, I'll damn well wait for the DVD. I should feel ashamed.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to MattTheBadger)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> It's good but it's bad Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI