Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 10 Films of 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 28/6/2012 7:01:47 PM   
Dr Lenera

Also did longer reviews of the third and fouth films

ABRAHAM LINCOLN VAMPIRE HUNTER
A surprisingly successful mixture of historical biopic and action/horror a la Blade and far better than its reception may lead you to believe. The action ranges from mediocre to genuinely original [a fight in a horse stampede] and there is sadly some very poor CGI which lets the side down somewhat, but overall this is big, dumb fun handled with tremendous style and certainly kept me entertained throughout.
7.5/10

ROCK OF AGES
An initially enjoyable musical which seriously degenerates around half way through, with endless montages to soft rock tunes and a story that is just dragged out interminably. A few scenes of genuine sweetness and some well staged numbers just about keep it watchable. Very limited in its music; in a film called Rock of Ages, surely one has the right to expect more than a bunch of cheesy ballads?
5.5/10

RED LIGHTS
A clever and fascinating horror/thriller combination that may very well be the most underrated film of the year so far. Extremely atmospheric, superbly acted and daring to play with audience's expectations, it's like M.Night Shayamalan....when he was good, replete with one of the best twists in ages. Stunningly directed by the guy who made a man shut in a coffin cinematic.
8/10

CHERNOBYL DIARIES
A fairly formulaic horror piece, as cliched as you would expect, but very well handled for the most part. Edgy and gripping enough to atone for some seriously weak dialogue, it's a solid debut for its director who certainly knows how to scare. Increasingly intense and with a grim finish, it should satisfy most horror fans.
7/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 91
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 30/6/2012 5:55:25 PM   
Timbzy

Wide release in the US or Australia in 2012...

Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin)

* * * * 1/2
2 Days in New York (Julie Delpy)
The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard)
Take This Waltz (Sarah Polley)

Liberal Arts (Josh Radnor)
Jeff Who Lives At Home (Mark Duplass, Jay Duplass)
Damsels in Distress (Whit Stillman)
En Kongelig Affære AKA A Royal Affair (Nikolaj Arcel)
Cosmopolis ()
L' amour dure trois ans AKA Love Lasts Three Years (Frédéric Beigbeder)
Not Suitable For Children (Peter Templeman)
Woody Allen: A Documentary (Robert B. Weide)

* * * 1/2
Compliance ()
Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson)
Rampart (Oren Moverman)
Detachment (Tony Kaye)
Blue Like Jazz (Steve Taylor)
Amour AKA Love (Michael Haneke)
Sound of my Voice ()
17 Filles 17 Girls (Delphine Coulin, Muriel Coulin)
Eva (Kike Maíllo)
On The Road (Walter Salles)
The Woman in the Fifth (Pawel Pawlikowski)
21 Jump Street (Phil Lord, Chris Miller)
Arbitrage ()
The Avengers (Joss Whedon)
V/H/S (Ti West, Joe Swanberg, David Bruckner, Glenn McQuaid, Adam Wingard, Radio Silence)
American Translation (Jean-Marc Barr, Pascal Arnold)
I, Anna (Barnaby Southcombe)
Lola Versus ()
Take Me Home (Sam Jaeger)
Being Flynn (Paul Weitz)
Kari-gurashi no Arietti AKA Arrietty (Hiromasa Yonebayashi)
Pingu's The Thing [Short] (Lee Hardcastle, 2012)

Alps (Giorgos Lanthimos)
Red Lights ()
The Do-Deca-Pentathalon ()
Detention ()
Resident Evil: Damnation ()
The Woman In Black (James Watkins)
Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You (Roberto Faenza)
Edwin Boyd AKA Citizen Gangster (Nathan Morlando)
Un Monstre à Paris AKA A Monster in Paris (Bibo Bergeron)
Frankie Go Boom ()
Jess + Moss (Clay Jeter)
The Dictator (Larry Charles)
Prometheus (Ridley Scott)
Bachelorette (Leslye Headland)
Goon (Michael Dowse)
Haywire ()
High School ()
Harold's Going Stiff ()
43,000 Feet [Short] (Campbell Hooper)
About Cherry ()
Justice League: Doom (Lauren Montgomery)
The Hunger Games ()
Lockout (James Mather, Stephen St. Leger)
Peace, Love & Misunderstanding ()

* * 1/2
Wanderlust (David Wain)
Silent House (Chris Kentis, Laura Lau)
Intruders (Juan Carlos Fresnadillo)
Generation Um ()
The Five-Year Engagement (Nicholas Stoller)
Gone (Heitor Dhalia)
John Carter (Andrew Stanton)
Friends With Kids (Jennifer Westfeldt)
Columbus Circle (George Gallo)
Demoted ()
Bait ()
Superman Vs. The Elite (Michael Chang)
Men in Black III ()
388 Arletta Avenue (Randall Cole)
Snow White and the Huntsman (Rupert Sanders)
OK Breathe Auralee [Short] (Brooke Swaney)
A Thousand Words ()

People Like Us ()
The Cold Light of Day (Mabrouk el Mechri)
The Raven (James McTeigue)
American Reunion (Jon Hurwitz, Hay Schlossberg)
Marvel One-Shot: Item 47 [Short] (Louis D'Esposito)
Project X (Nima Nourizadeh)
Dark Shadows ()
This Means War (McG)
LOL ()
High Road (Matt Walsh)
Get The Gringo AKA How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Adrian Grunberg)
L!fe Happens ()

* 1/2
Casa de mi Padre AKA House of My Father (Matt Piedmont)
Hick (Derick Martini)
Chronicle (Josh Trank)
Battleship (Peter Berg)
What To Expect When You're Expecting ()
ATM (David Brooks)
Man on a Ledge (Asger Leth)
Safe House (Daniel Espinosa)

Piranha 3DD (John Gulager)
Underworld: Awakening (Måns Mårlind, Björn Stein)
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (Brad Peyton)
Tabu (Miguel Gomes)
The Devil Inside (William Brent Bell)
Imaginary Friend ()
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor)

1/2
Wrath of the Titans (Jonathan Liebesman)

103 films

< Message edited by Timbzy -- 23/9/2012 1:54:19 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 92
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 30/6/2012 6:40:22 PM   
ElephantBoy

Even The Rain (Tambien la lluvia) (Iciar Bollain, 103 Mins) 8/10
Complex political drama which twists the expections you have of its characters throughout, its a deeply unsettling but also touching thriller which sucesfully looks at themes such as artistic ambition, celebrity and poverty in a thought provoking and balenced way. The performances are well judged, the atmosphere and visually style very engaging and the script and characters have great depth.

Damsels in Distress (Walt Stillman, 100 Mins) 7.5/10
This one will divide people, but for me it was a delightful and stylish oddball of a indie gem. It gives you a more surreal and twisted take on the Mean Girls forumla with characters sketched in a far less black and white manor. Greta Gerwig (excellent in Greenberg) enhances her reputation further with another witty and finely judged turn. The colour scheme and tone takes it nod from Twin Peaks, and there are some spikey deadpan humour which I found very entertaining.

Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 94 Mins) 7.5/10
A return to the innocent charm of films such Rushmore and The Royal Tenebaums, this is far more interested in its central characters and their problems and is less knowing and smug than some of Anderson's recent out put. The young leads are very natually and likeable, you are beautifull eased into their magically and funny world. The likes of Bruce Willis and Edward Norton provide nicely understated and funny support. There is a lightless of touch, and the gentle pacing make the darker scenes all the more shocking and believeable. At times the plot does seem a little thin epscially near the end, but enjoyable setpieces and colourful joke kept me having a good time.

Coming up for me should be Snow White and The Hurtsman, Fast Girls, 2 Days in New York and Prometheus.

Post #: 93
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 4/7/2012 11:13:10 PM   
ElephantBoy

Snow White and the Huntsman (Rupert Sanders, 127 Mins) 5.5/10
Over long and malodramatic retelling of the famous fairy tale. It is visually exciting, but the script and characters are very flat. The best thing about the film is Charlize Theron who was born to play the part of the evil queen and steals every scene she appears, sadly she is on screen nearly enough. Kristian Stewart and Chris Heinsworth had poor chelmstry.

2 Days in New York (Julie Delpy, 96 Mins) 7/10
Another sharp and painfully funny satire from Delpy. Chris Rock was a wise casting choice as he is able to tone down his fast wise cracking act and actually gets laughs through his dry reactions to the chaos going on around and gives a very believeable turn. The comedy does peak mid way through and the script tends to resort too often to sight gangs and gross out human just for the sake of it. This follow up also lacks the narrative structure of 2 Days in Paris, some of the attempts at more profound humour such as the encounter with Vicent Gallo falls flat. But for the most part it is entertaining and charming enough to sustain.

Fast Girls (Regan Hall, 91 Mins) 6.5/10
I found this latest London 2012 cash in to be an up lifting and nicely told story, with a engaging central performance. The films plays out in a mostly unfussy way, the power of sport and the passion to better yourself through it is reliased with a slick, exciting shooting style. Certain elements of the story are a little rushed such as the lead characters cracking under the pressure, also the racial and working class vs middle class subplots are a bit poorly judged. Overall one of the better sporting movies of its kind.

Coming up for me should be Prometheus, Men in Black 3, Angel's Share and Woody Allen's Documentary.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 94
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 6/7/2012 4:43:00 PM   
ElephantBoy

My list for the year so far.

1. Shame (Steve McQueen, 100 Mins) 9/10
2. The Kid with a Bike (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, 87 Mins) 8/10
3. The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard, 92 Mins) 8/10
4. Even The Rain (Tambien la lluvia) (lciar Bollain, 103 Mins) 8/10
5. The Descendants (Alexander Payne, 115 Mins) 8/10
6. Into the Abyss (Werner Herzog, 107 Mins) 8/10
7. Your Sister's Sister (Lynn Shelton, 90 Mins) 8/10
8. The Muppets (James Bobin, 103 Mins) 8/10
9. Le Havre (Aki Kaurismaki, 93 Mins) 8/10
10. Avengers Assemble (Joss Whedon, 143 Mins) 7.5/10

11. Carnage (Roman Polanski, 80 Mins) 7.5/10
12. Damsels in Distress (Walt Stillman, 100 Mins) 7.5/10
13. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, 94 Mins) 7.5/10
14. The Hunger Games (Gary Ross, 143 Mins) 7/10
15. Killer Joe (William Friedkin, 103 Mins) 7/10
16. Headhunters (Morten Tyldum, 98 Mins) 7/10
17. 2 Days in New York (Julie Delpy, 96 Mins) 7/10
18. Like Crazy (Drake Doremus, 90 Mins) 7/10
19. Coriolanus (Ralph Fiennes, 122 Mins) 6.5/10
20. The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (Peter Lord, Jeff Newitt, 88 Mins) 6.5/10

21. The Grey (Joe Carnahan, 117 Mins) 6.5/10
22. Fast Girls (Regan Hall, 91 Mins) 6.5/10
23. This Must Be the Place (Paolo Sorrentino, 112 Mins) 5.5/10
24. A Dangerous Method (David Cronenberg, 100 Mins) 5.5/10
25. Snow White and the Huntsman (Rupert Sanders, 127 Mins) 5.5/10
26. Gone (Heitor Dhalia, 94 Mins) 5/10
27. J. Edgar (Clint Eastwood, 136 Mins) 5/10
28. Chronicle (Josh Tank, 83 Mins) 5/10
29. Woman in the Fifth (Pawel Pawlikowski, 83 Mins) 4.5/10
30. The Iron Lady (Phyllida Lloyd, 104 Mins) 4/10
31. Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg, 108 Mins) 3/10

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 7/8/2012 2:27:09 PM >

Post #: 95
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 27/7/2012 11:49:34 AM   
ElephantBoy

Update! Bump!

The Angel's Share (Ken Loach, 106 Mins) 7/10
Loach carrys on with his more light hearted, feel good phase althrough there are still darker more gritty moments which are nicely judged in a well crafted script Paul Hagety. The basic idea of a ex-criminal and his despration to escape his old life and make a new start for him and his family through a new found passion is nicely devolped a followed through in a straight forward structure but one with plenty of comic setpieces and intense moments along the way. I was engaged with the central character and wanted him to succeed, but at times the story did feel a bit dense and we could have done without some of the crude homour, but very little complaints besides as I left the cinema with a skip in the step and the proclaimers ringing in my ears

The Five Year Engagement (Nicholas Stoller, 124 Mins) 7.5/10
For the most part this romcom manages that rare trick of balancing of being sweet and funny almost at the same time. Emily Blunt and Jason Segel make for charming and believeable leads, and more important it was nice to see a film where the couple were dealing with real issues and for the most part discussing them in a normal but interesting way. The support cast are also very good with the likes of Rhys Ifans, Alison Brie and Mindy Karling all entertaining. On the downside it is about twenty minutes too long and I feel like in the second half of the film they tried to change the characters just for the sake of moving the plot along and it felt a bit contrived at times. But for the most part a sweet, funny and unique romcom which does bear repeat viewings.

Polisse (Maiwenn, 127 Mins) 9/10
Up there with Shame for my film of 2012 so far. This was a totally obserbing and stressful watch yet I was compelled and interested throughout. Each character is muti-layered and each case is given proper time to grow and works as a self-contained episode of the story which plays out almost like a docuementary. At the times it may have felt a bit malodramatic, but then the performances were so gripping it didn't really matter. The trick of the film is that it gives the shocking facts of the cases but at the same time it really gets under the skin of the real people working on them and traces their lives without it ever becoming like a soap opera. The script is also balanced in a way which leaves the viewer to make up their own mind on the characters. The use of atmosphere and odd musical number are carefully woven in, and the editing is superb with the final scene one of the most beautiful yet heart breaking I have seen all year.

Where Do We Go Now? (Et maintenant on va ou?) (Nadine Labaki, 110 Mins) 7/10
This is a bit more light hearted and ultimately not as engaging as Labaki's previous film Caramel (one of 2007's best films). The characters are likeable enough, the more shocking polictical moments are nicely judged. I also enjoyed the musical moments which added a nice surreall feel to the comedy, but at times I just felt the homour was a bit too steriotypical and that the characters weren't as finely drawn up as in her Caramel. A decent watch once it gets going, but I think there is better work to come from this director.

Coming up for me is Friedkin's Killer Joe, more Emily Blunt (because shes so lovely!) in My Sister's Sister, plus The Dark Knight Raises and maybe a catch up on something like Prometheus.

Post #: 96
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 28/7/2012 8:49:38 PM   
ElephantBoy

Hey QN have you seen Killer Joe yet? Would be interested to hear your review of it. Have just seen it and my review is coming up.

Post #: 97
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 5/8/2012 4:15:56 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Hey QN have you seen Killer Joe yet? Would be interested to hear your review of it. Have just seen it and my review is coming up.

I have mate. Sorry I've been pretty lazy on the updating malarkey lately.

58. RED LIGHTS (Rodrigo Cortes)

A decent if fairly unremarkable paranormal thriller. The cast are expectedly reliable, but even they can't quite cover up the problem with the film being two different pieces that don't fit together particularly well. The second half in particular is very ramsackle, and only really comes together after the big relevation at the end. Hoped for a little more from the guy who made a film about Ryan Reynolds trapped in a box utterly compelling.
5.5/10

59. BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO (Peter Strickland)

Strickland's follow-up to his rather marvellous revenge drama Katalin Varga builds on his impressive usage of sound design by depicting the process of creating the audio in Italian cinema (specifically the exploitation horror in the mould of Argento) & the effect it has over its creators confined to a stuffy foley room. More avant-garde than Varga & the Lynchian influence is even more present, yet it's stylishly put together, surprisingly funny & anchored superbly by a haunted-looking Toby Jones. Looking very much forward to a second viewing whenever it gets an official release.
7.5/10

60. BRAVE (Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman & Steve Purcell)

Went into this with trepidation as I'm extremely hostile to film or television indulging in any form of Scottish stereotypes, yet ultimately I was won over by the usual pixar charm. Doesn't quite hit the high watermark of say a Toy Story, WALL-E or Up (probably lacked a killer set-piece or the same emotional punch to make it so), yet for them it's a pleasingly old-fashioned fairytale with a quietly affecting mother & daughter story at its heart.
6.5/10

61. DAY OF THE FLOWERS (John Roberts)

One of the selections from the Edinburgh Film Festival's 'best of the fest' which you hope was based on initial ticket sales & not critical response - otherwise you would worry about the quality of this years output. Whilst it's nice to see a Cuban backdrop in a narrative drama, it doesn't really compensate for some shockingly bad writing & uninspired direction - which is particularly evident in having all the characters constantly think out loud (the first 10 minutes in this regard are absolutely appalling). The performances too are largely unconvincing, with Eva Birthistle (very good in Loach's 'Ae Fond Kiss') struggling immensely with a hugely unsympathetic idiot of a protagonist, whose every solution to a problem seems to solely involve walking out of a scene that lapses more than 2 minutes. Still, her turn is award-worthy compared to the amateurish showings by her supposed sister & her constant kilt-wearing cypher of a friend. Well intended it might be, but it can thank the Cuban cast & the work done by the unit directors to lift it above the tragic threshold.
3/10

62. THE IMPOSTER (Bart Layton)

A gripping & fascinating documentary detailing an unbelievable tale regarding the disappearance of a Texan child & the 23 year old Frenchman that tried (and succeeded) in fooling everyone to take his place (from the US government to the Barclay family themselves). Some of it doesn't convince (the segments involving the private investigator feel out of place as the gap between a talking head interview & reconstruction begin to blur), whilst you can't help feeling that the trauma felt by the Barclay family is being exploited a little. Still, it certainly lives up to its title, as you'll find Frédéric Bourdin largely sympathetic at the start, before concluding at the end that absolutely nothing that comes out of his mouth can be trusted.
7.5/10

63.THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (Marc Webb)

Predictably not very amazing & you can find my review here. Essentially though my gripes with it are that it's a decent character drama, yet is a distinctly mediocre spider-man film. Garfield & Stone are great, but there's only so much papering over the cracks they can manage. There's a number of irritable plot holes, the spectacle isn't really there, but worst of all the correlation between spidey & New York is non-existent, whilst the most interesting contrast between Peter Parker & his alter-ego has been completely removed. It's fine having Peter Parker being motivated by regret rather than a sense of duty to his community (only once does the film achieve this with the rescuing of the boy on the bridge), yet this results in the stakes never feeling high & the climax being totally underwhelming. Finally, it's never able to shake off the fact that much of what is on display here, was already done 10 years ago - and in some cases, a lot better.
4.5/10

64.KILLER JOE (William Friedkin)

Much more conventional than Friedkin's other Tracey Letts adaptation (Bug), but still a lot of nasty fun. The cast are all on good form, whilst McConaughey's never been better (perhaps playing Texan lawmen is his forte, as the last time I remember thinking he was really good in anything was his turn in Lone Star). As for the tonal discussion regarding the fried-chicken scene. It's tough, but I'm not sure you can say it's playing it for laughs, as the performance & body language by Gina Gershon in that scene brings absolute no comic relief or sense of pleasure whatsoever.
6.5/10

65. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Christopher Nolan)

Long-winded review here. But in summary, I really digged it, the ending is perfect & it still holds ones attention after 4 viewings - the 5th being in real IMAX next Saturday.
8.5/10

66. A ROYAL AFFAIR (Nickolaj Arcel)

Not being a particular enthusiast of costumed period dramas, they have to work really hard for me to embrace them - and this one did. Brilliant performances from the leading trio who collaborate beautifully in portraying a fascinating story that goes straight to the heart of both Danish & European history. Not my favourite of 2012, but highly recommended.
8/10

Not seen a great deal of new stuff over the summer (meh releases & euro 2012/olympics have played a large part in that), but I'll be checking out Searching For Sugarman, Ted & Nostalgia For The Light over the next week.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 98
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 6/8/2012 9:09:39 PM   
Dr Lenera

THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN
For much of its length, little more than a rehash of the first film, meaning that what would on its own be a reasonable superhero film just comes off as a pale copy except for the swinging scenes, which admitttedly are an improvement, though it's entertaining enough
5.5/10

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
Somewhat better than the other two Nolan Batmans; at least there's a decent amount of action this time, but I remain immune to the charm of these films. As with the other two, the script is full of holes,and this film doesn't even have a decent villain, while the score might be the worst so far this year.
6/10

ICE AGE 4: CONTINENTAL DRIFT
A distinct improvement on the second and third films, though still lacking much of the first film's heart, this is a rollicking action-packed animated adventure crammed with laughs and stunning thrill scenes.
7/10

THE LORAX
Though it overdoes the 'Capitalism is Evil' thing, this is otherwise a terrific cartoon feature which is gorgeous to look at, contains just the right amount of laughs without overdoing it, and tells its enviromentalist-themed fable with the conviction of Hayao Mayazaki.
7.5/10

TED
Thankfully not the one-joke film I expected, with a surprising amount of depth at times, though of course it's the perfectly paced laughs which dominate, including some genius funny lines. Almost beats The Dictator as funniest films of the year so far.
8/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 6/8/2012 9:11:27 PM >

Post #: 99
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 7/8/2012 3:28:23 PM   
ElephantBoy

Your Sister's Sister (Lynn Shelton, 90 Mins) 8/10
One of the indie highlights of the year so far. An odd chain of events are set in motion by a gathering of friends to mark the one year anniversary of the passing of Jack's brother, what starts off as an upbeat celebration of his life turns into something a lot more akward and dark due to Jack's reaction (this sets the tone perfectly for what to expect in the film), as a result of him struggling to deal his best friend advises him to take a break at her parents cabin, however when Jack arrives he stumbles upon his friends sister who is coming off a bad break up, a drunken encounter between the two changes the complexion of their realtionship with sister and best friend. This is a very richly funny film, which plays out in a natualtionlistic and believable manor. Intimate setting, atmosphere and sparky chelmstry between the three leads make for a very engrossing, entertaining but sad movie. It also takes some unexpected turns as things progress, with every character nicely rounded with equal flaws but also charms, at times it looks like it might fall into clitche but the acting and script is so good than it gets away with it.

Killer Joe (William Friedkin, 103 Mins) 7/10
I would say three quaters of a good Friedkin film. The director captures the dusty smells and flashy neon lights of a small Texas town in a much more haunting surreally fashion than most filmmakers therefore creating an haunting and strange experience kind of in the mould of Wild at Heart (even if that wasn't set in Texas). The story blends several themes and genres such as gender power struggles and sexual roles, pretty sucessfully. McConaughey lights the screen up as the truly unpredictable and nasty Joe of the title and Juno Temple matches him with a finely balanced performance, Gina Gerson provides excellent support, althrough I wasn't so keen on Thomas Hadern Church's ham fest. My issues come in the final third of the film which are misjudged firstly as I found the final scene too heavy going and overall exploitive. Also I thought they romaticised the realtionship between Joe and Dotty too much and the suggestion that she would actually be safer with him than her deadbeat family was a bit much to take. An uneasy ending to on the whole an impressive thriller.

Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg, 108 Mins) 3/10
An empity shell of a movie which drags along at a snail like pace at times. What seemed like a good idea on paper proves far too wordy and self-important on film. Unlike the great Cronenberg movies this never emused me in its world. The experment of casting Robert Patterison because of his real life expereince of living in a cerebrity bubble does not pay off due to his limtied facial expressions which comes off as bemused a-lister unsure how to pull a more tricky role off while being too self aware of his status. The communtary on the fincial colapse also proves unconvincing. There are the odd moments of spark for example when Samantha Morton appears and the gripping climax involving Paul Giamatti, on the other hand Juliette Binoche is totally wasted. Easily Cronenberg's worse film to date and the worse I have seen this year.

Coming up for me will be The Hunter, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider Man and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 100
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 23/8/2012 6:52:09 PM   
Dr Lenera

THE BOURNE LEGACY
Overlong and even rather slow compared to the other, 'proper' Bourne films, this just about passes muster as a thriller, though is once again proof that only Paul Greengrass can do the 'shakycam/hyperfast editing' well and Jereny Renner is seriously poor in some scenes. 6/10

BRAVE
Though looking [and sounding] great and still enjoyable, this is hampered immensely by messy plotting and constant borrowing from other, mostly Disney films, especially the far superior Brother Bear. Not too bad on its own, but a serious low for Pixar. 6.5/10

THE EXPENDABLES 2
Though somewhat closer in feel to the low budget end of 80's action movie making, this is overall a terrific guilty pleasure and a gift for 80's action fans, exciting and very very funny, with most concerned sending themselves up. Worth the price for the sight of Willis, Schwarzeneger and Stallone together blazing away alone. 8/10

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD
Though opening well, this somewhat misses the mark, feeling far too upbeat and with a most unconvincing love story. Has its affecting moments though and I think this movie may grow me, but did the main story really need the end of the world scenario at all? 6/10

Post #: 101
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 24/8/2012 7:14:21 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

THE BOURNE LEGACY
Overlong and even rather slow compared to the other, 'proper' Bourne films, this just about passes muster as a thriller, though is once again proof that only Paul Greengrass can do the 'shakycam/hyperfast editing' well and Jereny Renner is seriously poor in some scenes. 6/10

BRAVE
Though looking [and sounding] great and still enjoyable, this is hampered immensely by messy plotting and constant borrowing from other, mostly Disney films, especially the far superior Brother Bear. Not too bad on its own, but a serious low for Pixar. 6.5/10

THE EXPENDABLES 2
Though somewhat closer in feel to the low budget end of 80's action movie making, this is overall a terrific guilty pleasure and a gift for 80's action fans, exciting and very very funny, with most concerned sending themselves up. Worth the price for the sight of Willis, Schwarzeneger and Stallone together blazing away alone. 8/10

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD
Though opening well, this somewhat misses the mark, feeling far too upbeat and with a most unconvincing love story. Has its affecting moments though and I think this movie may grow me, but did the main story really need the end of the world scenario at all? 6/10

I guess that is what made it different from all those standard romcoms through.

The Hunter (Daniel Netthiem, 102 Mins) 7.5/10
Interesting mix of man looking into the abyss and finding himself tale along with moments of gentle comedy, moving drama and intense thriller. Willem Dafoe is comanding as ever really carrying the film with a subtle turn, it is nice to see a largely unsympatic yet complex character at the heart of the film. The Australia rainforests are just stunning and become a character in its outright. It takes a bit of time getting going but is very rewarding when it does.

The Dark Knight Rises (Christopher Nolan, 165 Mins) 7.5/10
My least favourite of the series but a fitting end to the best comic book trilogy ever. The films main weakness is Bane who is just a bland, unengaging villian with a silly voice. The best performances for me are Anna Hathaway who brings a more modern and sly feel to the Cat Woman character and Joseph Gorden Levitt is very credible too. It was nice to see Michael Caine get a bigger part this time and he was very touching. The most sucessful aspect of the story was how linked together all three movies and brought the whole thing round again, there are some fantastic twist towards the end and I was truly engrossed by the last 40 minutes or so. Its a great film just not quite up to the standard which Nolan set with BB and TDK.

Albert Nobbs (Rodrigo Garcia, 113 Mins) 6.5/10
Decent enough period drama with a superb performance from Glenn Close who deserved her Oscar nod, the support cast are also strong and add much depth althrough some of them were not given as much screen time as I would have liked. The main flaw is that it too often felt too televisional and safe, its an entertaining watch on the whole and sometimes grips but never goes far enough. The scenes between Close and Mia Wasikowska are heart breaking.

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World (Lorene Scafaria, 101 Mins) 7.5/10
A film which really should not have worked and yet just swept me along, and while I have seen better films this year I have to say this is one of most fun times I have had. In places it is sambolic and maybe a little too cheesy, but the oddball combination of Steve Carell's deadpan yet charming every man and Knightly's punky girl next door (she actually does comedy really well I think) just won me over as the film moved along. There is a excellent use of music and old fashioned charm to the whole thing and the humour really does go to lengths to explore just what would happen if you knew the world was ending was ending in a few weeks, naturely there are some dark moments but mostly this is a feel good film which is very funny and all the better for it. Its been a pretty good year for romantic comedies so far.

Electrick Children (Rebecca Thomas, 96 Mins) 4/10
What promised to be a inventive and charming coming of age tale turned out to be a empity lifeless film. The lead character is totally bland and lacks the imagiany or angst which you would expect her to have, to make matters worse Julia Garner gives a terribly weak and blank performance in the lead role. The film is very mumbly and has a dull visional scheme with poorly written characters. Rory Culkin does his best with a tough part and his is maybe the only character with anything going on beneath the selfece. It has moments of sweetness and some fairly amusing scenes but overall boy does it drag.

Coming up for me should be Nostalgia For the Light, Searching for Sugar Man, The Amazing Spiderman and Anna Karenina.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 102
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 1/9/2012 10:11:52 PM   
Dr Lenera

THE WATCH
Tiresome sci-fi/comedy, hard to tell if it is supposed to be serious or funny at times, but the laughs, mostly involving mentions of things like penises, usually fall flat and the cast are mostly dislikeable.
3/10

TOTAL RECALL
Feeling like the original movie with most of the fun ripped out of it, this is certainly action-packed and pacy but we've all seen this kind of drab future too many times before and it all seems a little pointless. Could have been worse though.
5/10

Post #: 103
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 2/9/2012 12:38:53 PM   
chambanzi

I have seen few 2012 films so far, poor effort from me but here it is.

5 stars
- Shame (UK release date)

4 stars
- The Dark Knight Rises
- The Bourne Legacy
- The Avengers
- The Descendants (UK release date)
- A Monster in Paris
- We Need to Talk About Kevin

3 stars
- The Amazing Spiderman
- 21 Jump Street

2 stars
- The Expendables 2
- The Hunger Games
- The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
- American Pie: The Reunion
- Cabin in the Woods (UK release date)

1 star
- Mirror Mirror
- Project X

< Message edited by chambanzi -- 2/9/2012 12:39:49 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 104
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 2/9/2012 3:06:22 PM   
Craigy266

Thought I'd jump in on this - haven't seen that much this year so far, but my Love Film rental list is nicely filling up with 2012 titles.

01. The Dark Knight Rises

02. Avengers Assemble
03. Ted
04. The Muppets
05. 21 Jump Street
06. The Descendants
07. The Woman In Black
08. Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey

09. The Amazing Spider-Man
10. Like Crazy
11. Young Adult
12. The Hunger Games
13. Chronicle
14. Shame
15. The Dictator
16. Jeff Who Lives At Home
17. The Grey

18. The Lorax

Should be watching Battleship, War Horse, John Carter, Martha Macy May Marlene in the next few days or so!

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 105
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 11/9/2012 12:49:35 PM   
ElephantBoy

Nostalgia For the Light (Patricio Guzman, 94 Mins) 10/10
Every year you tend to get at least one full blown masterpiece, one film which stands out from the crowd and just feels special. For me this fascinating Chilian documentary about astronomy, life, death and love is that film. First of all it is beautifully shot and aceives that difficult task of making such a odd subject engagaing for the masses, it is cinematic experience with beatuiful colour and engery and yet threre is so much more depth to the really life tragic story of the women searching for the body parts of their loved ones killed during Pinochet's regime. It turns out to be a film more about human spirit more than anything. A deeply profound expereince, the reserch is excellent.

North Sea Texas (Bayo Defurne, 93 Mins) 7/10
Solid little Dutch film about teenage boy discovering his sexisuaity who when neglacted by his mother starts spending a lot of time round his neighbours house, the family take him in almost like one of their own and Pim starts a relationship with the oldest child, but then it turns out that maybe he is not gay like Pim was only expermenting and later moves away, things are further complicated as the daughter of the family has romantic feelings for Pim. The film perfectly captures the very really emotional pain of youth as well as the feeling of being stuck in a lifeless town and wanting to break free. The colour scheme is very 80s, and the soundtrack charming, at times the characters and story felt a bit too limited and ending not totally convincing.

Searching For Sugar Man (Malik Bendjellou, 86 Mins) 8/10
An odd documentary about musical engima Rodriguez who was bigger than Elvis in South Africa yet unheard of anywhere else. The first half is kind of like a love letter to his talents and questions just why he didn't have major sucess in America, but as the search for truth heats up there is a major revolution (which I will not spoil for you here) and what started out as mystery ends up as one of the most thrilling feel good movies of 2012.

Coming up for me I hope to catch up with Ted, and The Brave as well as seeing Anna Karenina and The Berberian Sound System.

Post #: 106
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 11/9/2012 3:39:03 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Every year you tend to get at least one full blown masterpiece, one film which stands out from the crowd and just feels special. For me this fascinating Chilian documentary about astronomy, life, death and love is that film. First of all it is beautifully shot and aceives that difficult task of making such a odd subject engagaing for the masses, it is cinematic experience with beatuiful colour and engery and yet threre is so much more depth to the really life tragic story of the women searching for the body parts of their loved ones killed during Pinochet's regime. It turns out to be a film more about human spirit more than anything. A deeply profound expereince, the reserch is excellent.

I really liked this as well, although clearly not as much as you.

Elab has seen it too, but her review was somewhat savage.

Been a while since I updated so I have a few to do (including two that you've just reported)

67. SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN (Malik Bendjelloul)

One of those documentaries when the less you know about the subject matter, the better. It does a good job of portraying the side of the story from the South African's point of view, although one could argue that it compromises matters a little by getting the folks from the states involved. Still, I'd never heard of Rodriquez & his music before this, so considering that I now want to give 'cold fact' & 'coming from reality' a try suggests the main objective of Bendjelloul's film has been achieved. Don't really want to say any more in order to avoid the risk of divulging too much information, but I really liked it.
7.5/10

68. TED (Seth Macfarlene)

Watching Ted by in large provoked 3 things within me....

1. How much I've fallen out of love with Family Guy over the last decade.
2. How out of step I feel compared with a mainstream comedy audience.
3. That I would have quite happily sat through the Dark Knight Rises for a 6th time rather than this.

Mattyb was spot on when he pointed out Macfarlene missed a trick by having a teddy bear character as the main hook, yet he's little more than a two foot fusion of Peter Griffin/Brian that never takes full advantage of the idea (it kinda reminded me of the main problem with Paul as well). And like Family Guy over the past few years, the jokes are repetitive & lazy from start to finish. I know it's a comedy & plot/characterisation aren't necessarily important, but it didn't help either to find yourself 5 minutes ahead of the film all the time, whilst I never for a second believed in the relationship between Wahlberg & Kunis (although that's not really their fault it has to be said). If this really is the best comedy of 2012 so far, the genre really is in trouble. I liked the stuff involving Flash Gordon though.
4.5/10

69. NOSTALGIA FOR THE LIGHT (Patricio Guzmán)

Immensely beautiful & at times extremely moving documentary about how a stretch of baron landscape in Chile has provided the focal point for those seeking very different answers from amongst the stars or underneath the soil. There is a case to be made that the correlation between the astronomy & the darkness of the Pinochet regime could be considered a little forceful from Guzman,yet that doesn't stop NFTL being any less poetic & affecting (for me, anyway). Has been compared to the likes of Herzog, although personally I wouldn't say that as there's very little here in way of absurdity.
8/10

70. THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West)

Utter rubbish, yet enjoyable nostalgic fun if you have a soft spot for the many faces on screen & a forgiveness for various examples in creative & technical incompetence. In many ways, the best comedy of the year.
5/10

71. THE BOURNE LEGACY (Tony Gilroy)

A workmanlike chase thriller which uses the Bourne universe to boost its commercial viability rather than tell a story that really needed to be told. Decent enough & I did like how they turned a seven hour flight into a fairly nail-biting set-piece. Very unremarkable though & things dip severely as soon as our heroes awake in Manilla.
5/10

72. THE THREE STOOGES (Bobby & Peter Farrelly)

To be honest, this made me laugh a lot more than the supposed"best comedy of the year". Perfectly reasonable slapstick violence for the kids which the Farrelly's seem quite at home doing. Also contains one truly inspired gag regarding free range fish. Top performance too by Larry David.
5.5/10

73. SHADOW DANCER (James Marsh)

Best thing I've seen at the world of cine in what feels like bloody ages (certainly since Rises anyway). I can see why there have been comparisons with TTSS, but aside from the mundane nature of spying, that's where the similarities end. Riseborough is brilliant - conveying so much in barely any lines. More work for her please.
7.5/10

I've seen Total Recall, The Watch & Tabu as well; but I'll wait until I add Lawless & Anna Karenina to the "seen" list tomorrow before doing wee write-ups about them.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 107
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 11/9/2012 3:42:02 PM   
ElephantBoy

Updated list for the year.

1. Nostalgia For the Light (Guzman, 94 Mins) 10/10
2. Shame (McQueen, 100 Mins) 9/10
3. Polisse (Maiwenn, 127 Mins) 9/10
4. The Kid With a Bike (Dardenne, Dardenne, 87 Mins) 8/10
5. The Cabin in the Woods (Goddard, 92 Mins) 8/10
6. Even the Rain (Tambien la lluvia) (Boliain, 103 Mins) 8/10
7. The Descendants (Payne, 115 Mins) 8/10
8. Into the Abyss (Herzog, 107 Mins) 8/10
9. You Sister's Sister (Shelton, 90 Mins) 8/10
10. The Muppets (Bobin, 103 Mins) 8/10

11. Le Havre (Kaurismaki, 93 Mins) 8/10
12. Searching For Sugar Man (Bendjellou, 86 Mins) 8/10
13. The Avengers Assemble (Whedon, 143 Mins) 7.5/10
14. Carnage (Polanski, 80 Mins) 7.5/10
15. The Hunter (Nettheim, 102 Mins) 7.5/10
16. The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 165 Mins) 7.5/10
17. Damsels in Distress (Stillman, 100 Mins) 7.5/10
18. Moonrise Kingdom (Anderson, 94 Mins) 7.5/10
19. The Five Year Engagement (Stoller, 124 Mins) 7.5/10
20. Seeking A Friend For The End of The World (Scafaria, 101 Mins) 7.5/10

21. The Hunger Games (Ross, 143 Mins) 7/10
22. Killer Joe (Friedkin, 103 Mins) 7/10
23. Headhunters (Tyldum, 98 Mins) 7/10
24. 2 Days in New York (Delpy, 96 Mins) 7/10
25. The Angel's Share (Loach, 106 Mins) 7/10
26. North Sea Texas (Defurne, 93 Mins) 7/10
27. Where Do We Go Now? (Et Maintenant on Vaou?) (Labaki, 110 Mins) 7/10
28. Like Crazy (Doremus, 90 Mins) 7/10
29. Albert Nobbs (Garcia, 113 Mins) 6.5/10
30. Coriolanus (Fiennes, 122 Mins) 6.5/10

31. The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (Lord, Newitt, 88 Mins) 6.5/10
32. The Grey (Carnhan, 117 Mins) 6.5/10
33. Fast Girls (Hall, 91 Mins) 6.5/10
34. This Must Be the Place (Sorrentino, 112 Mins) 5.5/10
35. A Dangerous Method (Cronenberg, 100 Mins) 5.5/10
36. Snow White and the Huntsman (Sanders, 127 Mins) 5.5/10
37. Gone (Dhalia, 94 Mins) 5/10
38. J. Edgar (Eastwood, 136 Mins) 5/10
39. Chronicle (Tank, 83 Mins) 5/10
40. Woman in the Fifth (Pawlikowski, 83 Mins) 4.5/10

41. Electrick Children (Thomas, 96 Mins) 4/10
42. The Iron Lady (Lloyd, 104 Mins) 4/10
43. Cosmoplis (Cronenberg, 108 Mins) 3/10

Post #: 108
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 11/9/2012 3:52:12 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

I really liked this as well, although clearly not as much as you.

Elab has seen it too, but her review was somewhat savage.

Been a while since I updated so I have a few to do (including two that you've just reported)

67. SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN (Malik Bendjelloul)

One of those documentaries when the less you know about the subject matter, the better. It does a good job of portraying the side of the story from the South African's point of view, although one could argue that it compromises matters a little by getting the folks from the states involved. Still, I'd never heard of Rodriquez & his music before this, so considering that I now want to give 'cold fact' & 'coming from reality' a try suggests the main objective of Bendjelloul's film has been achieved. Don't really want to say any more in order to avoid the risk of divulging too much information, but I really liked it.
7.5/10

68. TED (Seth Macfarlene)

Watching Ted by in large provoked 3 things within me....

1. How much I've fallen out of love with Family Guy over the last decade.
2. How out of step I feel compared with a mainstream comedy audience.
3. That I would have quite happily sat through the Dark Knight Rises for a 6th time rather than this. Mattyb was spot on when he pointed out Macfarlene missed a trick by having a teddy bear character as the main hook, yet he's little more than a two foot fusion of Peter Griffin/Brian that never takes full advantage of the idea (it kinda reminded me of the main problem with Paul as well). And like Family Guy over the past few years, the jokes are repetitive & lazy from start to finish. I know it's a comedy & plot/characterisation aren't necessarily important, but it didn't help either to find yourself 5 minutes ahead of the film all the time, whilst I never for a second believed in the relationship between Wahlberg & Kunis (although that's not really their fault it has to be said). If this really is the best comedy of 2012 so far, the genre really is in trouble. I liked the stuff involving Flash Gordon though. 4.5/10

69. NOSTALGIA FOR THE LIGHT (Patricio Guzmán)

Immensely beautiful & at times extremely moving documentary about how a stretch of baron landscape in Chile has provided the focal point for those seeking very different answers from amongst the stars or underneath the soil. There is a case to be made that the correlation between the astronomy & the darkness of the Pinochet regime could be considered a little forceful from Guzman,yet that doesn't stop NFTL being any less poetic & affecting (for me, anyway). Has been compared to the likes of Herzog, although personally I wouldn't say that as there's very little here in way of absurdity.
8/10

70. THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West)

Utter rubbish, yet enjoyable nostalgic fun if you have a soft spot for the many faces on screen & a forgiveness for various examples in creative & technical incompetence. In many ways, the best comedy of the year.
5/10

71. THE BOURNE LEGACY (Tony Gilroy)

A workmanlike chase thriller which uses the Bourne universe to boost its commercial viability rather than tell a story that really needed to be told. Decent enough & I did like how they turned a seven hour flight into a fairly nail-biting set-piece. Very unremarkable though & things dip severely as soon as our heroes awake in Manilla.
5/10

72. THE THREE STOOGES (Bobby & Peter Farrelly)

To be honest, this made me laugh a lot more than the supposed"best comedy of the year". Perfectly reasonable slapstick violence for the kids which the Farrelly's seem quite at home doing. Also contains one truly inspired gag regarding free range fish. Top performance too by Larry David.
5.5/10

73. SHADOW DANCER (James Marsh)

Best thing I've seen at the world of cine in what feels like bloody ages (certainly since Rises anyway). I can see why there have been comparisons with TTSS, but aside from the mundane nature of spying, that's where the similarities end. Riseborough is brilliant - conveying so much in barely any lines. More work for her please.
7.5/10

I've seen Total Recall, The Watch & Tabu as well; but I'll wait until I add Lawless & Anna Karenina to the "seen" list tomorrow before doing wee write-ups about them.

1. Thats how I felt also with Sugarman which is why I don't think you can review and say too much beyond the set up.

2. Is TDKR really worth six viewings in a row at the cinema? I liked it but is it really the best film of the year? I have serious doubts.

3. No the comedy of the year has to be the Muppets followed by The Five Year Engagement!

Think I will wait for the DVD of Total Recall can't see them matching the 80s version.

Post #: 109
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 20/9/2012 12:24:31 PM   
Dr Lenera

ANNA KARENINA
Great looking version, technically audacious and sometimes clever, but rather unmoving and held back by the typically mediocre Kiera Knightley. I'm not sure this kind of tale benefits from such a stylised treatment. 6.5/10

DREDD
The 3D is pointless apart from about three scenes and they could have thought up a better plot considering what you often found in the comics, but at least this is faithful to the character and remains a solid action thriller with some nifty visuals. 7/10

PARANORMAN
Easily besting the disappointing Pixar and Aardman offerings this year, this is not only a visually stunning and exciting chiller for kids but is also a clever subversion of horror plots. A nice lack of sugar coating too. 8.5/10

PREMIUM RUSH
Though it seems to celebrate people who are arrogant and dangerous imbeciles, something which really held the film back for me, the tight pace, cool directorial touches and exciting chases go some way to make up for it. 6.5/10

THE POSESSION
Okay possession stuff,nothing new except for the Jewish aspect but well done, with some decent tension and good performances too. 6.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 20/9/2012 12:31:36 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 20/9/2012 11:57:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ANNA KARENINA
Great looking version, technically audacious and sometimes clever, but rather unmoving and held back by the typically mediocre Kiera Knightley. I'm not sure this kind of tale benefits from such a stylised treatment. 6.5/10

DREDD
The 3D is pointless apart from about three scenes and they could have thought up a better plot considering what you often found in the comics, but at least this is faithful to the character and remains a solid action thriller with some nifty visuals. 7/10

PARANORMAN
Easily besting the disappointing Pixar and Aardman offerings this year, this is not only a visually stunning and exciting chiller for kids but is also a clever subversion of horror plots. A nice lack of sugar coating too. 8.5/10

PREMIUM RUSH
Though it seems to celebrate people who are arrogant and dangerous imbeciles, something which really held the film back for me, the tight pace, cool directorial touches and exciting chases go some way to make up for it. 6.5/10

THE POSESSION
Okay possession stuff,nothing new except for the Jewish aspect but well done, with some decent tension and good performances too. 6.5/10

I won't give away what I think, but think you are being harsh on Knightly she is improving all the time for me and gives another good performance here, was impressed with her restraint and that she convinced you that she was a woman of some years.

Think I might see Paranorman this week really have a good feeling about it.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 111
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 21/9/2012 3:37:53 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

2. Is TDKR really worth six viewings in a row at the cinema? I liked it but is it really the best film of the year? I have serious doubts.

I think it depends really. Perhaps not to the average joe, but I'm a Batman geek & a Nolan fanboy, so it was always inevitable.

It got 5 viewings from me (the most I've ever seen 1 film in its initial cinematic release), 4 in the traditional format & once in IMAX (in my defence, I had lots of different people to go with each time who hadn't seen it). It's certainly my favourite film of 2012 so far, but I'd be reluctant to suggest that it's the best film of the year. To be honest, I don't think I've seen my film of the year yet. I suspect it'll either come out of nowhere or it could be the new effort by Haneke, Audiard or PT Anderson. Only time will tell!

quote:

3. No the comedy of the year has to be the Muppets followed by The Five Year Engagement!

Not the Watch then?

quote:

Think I will wait for the DVD of Total Recall can't see them matching the 80s version.

I wouldn't even bother....

Speaking of which........

74. TOTAL RECALL (Len Wiseman)

There's a minute long scene around the half way mark involving Colin Farrell's Quade playing the piano & in that sixty seconds or so, we get more character development than the rest of the film put together. A experience whose idea of dramatic engagement is to pump it endlessly full of banal running, jumping & shooting sequences in a CGI backdrop - with none of the humour or satirical bite of Verhoeven's original. Another loose Dick adaptation that really doesn't do the source material any justice, whilst it might be the first 12 I've seen since Titanicto show off a set (obviously not a pair in this regard) of naked breasts.
4/10

75. THE WATCH (Akiva Schaffer)

Rsther than watching the Watch, I would have had more fun watching a giant watch, counting down for an hour & fourty two minutes - with the silence only disrupted by the ticking & tocking. Would have laughed a lot more for starters. Crashes into my bottom three of 2012, so good news for Peter Berg & Battleship then.
2/10

76. TABU (Miguel Gomes)

For the first 40 to 50 minutes or so, I was admiring this beautifully photographed effort, but really struggled to understand why it became the new love amongst many film critics. Then, shortly after the introduction of an elderly Italian man, the film changes gear, the praise begins to make sense & by the end I almost completely forgot about my frustration regarding the first half -so much so that I really wanted to see it again almost immediately. A film that on second viewing, could well find itself climbing the heights of my 2012 list. One of the most unique films of the year. Highly recommended.
8/10

77. LAWLESS (John Hillcoat)

From the pair who wrote & directed The Proposition, you would have hoped for something a little more than just a fairly well trodden, solid enough crime drama. Despite my serious misgivings regarding Shia Leboeuf, he's comfortably the strongest thing in it, primarily because he's the only one playing a fleshed out character; with the others reduced to cameo (Gary Oldman), cliché or caricature (Pearce's ludicrous law inforcer looks to have been imported from a completely different film, possibly a Tarrantino-esque exploitation effort). Hardy again is impressive, with his character (if you could call it that) deliberately enigmatic, practically believing in his own urban myth. Soundtrack is great too, loved the covers of Grandaddy & the Velvet Underground.
6/10

78. ANNA KARENINA (Joe Wright)

Stylish & inventive for sure, yet strangely disengaging as a drama. Knightley is fine, Law is rather good; yet like every other Joe Wright film, it just feels like it's missing something for it to be fully successful. Very much fits into the "I admired it rather than liked it" category & you know something has gone a little wrong when you're willing Anna on to take a tumble off the platform. I really liked the letter blocks scene though.
6.5/10

79. TO ROME WITH LOVE (Woody Allen)

Credit to Woody for being able to largely subdue my hostility towards his continuing fascination of doing multi-stranded character assembles in a European postcard setting. Aside from the rather irritating & clumsy Eisenberg/Gerwig/Page segment (the film wouldn't have suffered at all had it been dropped, even if I did like some of exchanges between Eisenberg & Baldwin), the other three stories are pleasingly amusing - with Woody's own one being my pick of the bunch. Penelope Cruz may well also be the most desirable prostitute I've ever seen on the screen. Javier Bardem truly is a lucky bastard.
5.5/10

Over the next week or two; I should be checking out Killing Them Softly, Tower Block, The Sweeney, Paranorman, Barbara, Holy Motors & (after numerous positive musings amongst friends) Dredd.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 112
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 23/9/2012 2:06:31 PM   
Timbzy

Hit my 100 today with Sound of my Voice. Really enjoyed it.

Post #: 113
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 9/10/2012 8:45:36 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Creeping ever closer to a century - but still a few to go.

80. TOWER BLOCK (2012, James Nunn & Ronnie Thompson)

A very decent low-budget British thriller despite occasionally suffering from the 'Eastenders school of acting' & a nonsensical reveal in regards to the sniper. Jack O'Connell is an absolute hoot as the charismatic chav scumbag forced to unite alongside the residents he's made a habit of terrifying & the smart script raises some intriguing social issues even if they're barely explored. The set-up of the central predicament is also alarmingly tense.
6.5/10

81. KILLING THEM SOFTLY (2012, Andrew Dominik)

An anti-gangster film filled with some brilliantly orchestrated set-pieces (naturally the robbery scene being the stand out) & very fine performances from all involved. Kind of feels like what a Tarrantino film might look & sound like had he decided to mature as a film-maker. I heard a random girl proclaiming it "slow" as I left the screening - presumably due to its "wordy" nature. I couldn't disagree more.
7.5/10

82. DREDD (2012, Pete Travis)

In spite of the 3D misgivings (particularly awful in the kitchen scene near the beginning) & some unfortunate/comical similarities to The Raid/cake sketch in Brass Eye, this is a no-nonsense, faithfully constructed & uncompromising vision of the iconic 2000AD character, going a long way in banishing the cannon fodder of the irreverent mid nineties Stallone vehicle. A real shame the Americans didn't give it a chance, as this felt like the foundation to go on and make better Dredd films - something which unfortunately we'll probably never see.
6/10

83. THE CAMPAIGN (2012, Jay Roach)

With Will Ferrell & Zach thingymabob in the starring roles, this was always going to be a comedy more interested in dick jokes & punching the face of a baby or dog, rather than offer anything that's satirically sharp. As a result, it achieves some laughs - largely thanks to the comedic talents of the leading men as opposed to any inspired comedy writing. Overall though, it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity - and the ending (like the empire review states) is particularly rubbish.
4.5/10

84. PARANORMAN (2012, Chris Butler & Sam Fell)

Really nice to see a children’s animation not stifled by mainstream requirements. I also preferred it to the Aardman effort of this year, even though Pirates is probably superior on a technical level. Anyone with a bit of love for classic horror & holding a slightly cynical worldview should find this rather endearing.
7/10

85. BARBARA (2012, Christian Petzold)

A subtly portrayed, slow-burner of a film which begins as a paranoid thriller & ends as a humanist drama – all set in an East German backdrop. Nina Hoss is absolutely brilliant as the title character, playing a woman fronting a cold exterior who over time reveals a warm, compassionate centre. Her relationship with Christian Ulmen is consistently fascinating, and as like Barbara experiences, you’re never quite sure whether his intentions are sincere or something altogether more sinister. One the most intelligently observed works of the year.
7.5/10

86. HOLY MOTORS (2012, Leos Carax)

Is it Carax’s own personal tribute to cinema in all its glory & grotesqueness? Is it (like he claims) a critique on the nature of performance? Or is it a portrayal of angelic figures embodying the roles of the disenfranchised throughout the streets (and sewers) of Paris? God only knows, but this batshit insane, multi-genre experience is unlike anything you’ll see in a cinema this year, with Denis Levant delivering an incredible physical performance which ranks among the very best of 2012.
8/10

87. LOOPER (2012, Rian Johnson)

One of those really pleasant surprises which I went into expecting one type of science fiction film, before being left with an almost completely different one by its conclusion (even if you could make the case that the bridging between the two aspects is a little disjointed). As Matty pointed out, it’s also refreshing to see a fairly mainstream-intended work playing to its ideas rather than using them as a means to clot proceedings up with special effects driven action sequences – some of which pleasingly, don’t shy away from their very dark themes. That in itself is an achievement in this consistently entertaining romp that gets away with the problems of portraying sound logic in time travel-capers. Really enjoyable!
8/10

Those last four films also probably constitute the best cinematic run I've had this year.

Over the next week or two; will probably check out The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, Taken 2, Untouchable, Frankenweenie, On The Road, Ruby Sparks, About Elly & then of course, Skyfall.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Timbzy)
Post #: 114
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 9/10/2012 9:21:19 PM   
Dr Lenera

LOOPER
An enjoyable and surprisingly dark time travel flick that certainly has intelligence but is nowhere near as original as it thinks it is and suffers from some odd pointless elements such as telekinesis. Excellent performances though and a pleasant surprise to have a fairly good film from Johnson.
7/10

SAVAGES
Stone’s direction is again a joy, showing his love of cinema every frame, and, while weakened by its three poor main leads, Savages is a fairly gripping drama with some strong and surprising scenes...until a dreadful cop-out ending.
7/10

HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET
Passes the time and a few scenes work, but overall a disappointingly unsuspenseful thriller which is more of a dreary teen romance at times, suffers from its US ‘PG13’ rating and has very old and hackneyed twists in the tail. Reasonably exciting towards the end.
4.5/10

TAKEN 2
Not as fantastically fun as the first film, and severely hampered by director Megaton’s atrocious action directing and what seem to be bad censor cuts, but Neeson is great as always, the story rings a few changes on the original, and it’s enjoyable....just
5.5/10

SINISTER
Though none too original at first, this slow-building chiller becomes rather scary and is supported by some strong performances, though it stops being frightening around two thirds in. A nicely dark ending, though maybe not much of an actual climax.
7/10

Post #: 115
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 22/10/2012 9:36:31 PM   
ElephantBoy

Anna Karenina (Joe Wright, 130 Mins) 6.5/10
I admired the ambtion of this version of the famous story to be so dramatic and in your face visually, with an unervey dreamy quailty which seprates it from many safer period dramas, however it is only partly sucessful. After awhile the style becomes overbearing, too stagey and makes the characters and story seem very empity. The film did feel over long, even through it is from a 900 page novel. The performances are very good, not least Jude Law who gives his most powerful turn in over a decade. It is a very well crafted and interesting film, but the characters are just too cold as is the world of the film.

The Imposter (Bart Layton, 99 Mins) 8.5/10
The film noir style of this is so fitting, as there is such darkness and mystery surrounding this story and its character. The documentary is chilling from start to finish, with excellent research and in depth interviews. It is balancing well the story of the imposter's background and that of the family's struggle. As things devolop other themes come out such as the advancements crime resources and the believe of an old fashioned investergator to get to the truth. A unbelieveble story in more than one way.

Liberal Arts (Josh Radnor, 97 Mins) 7/10
For the first half an hour I thought this was going to be another cliched, sunny, quirky for the sake of quirky indie flick, but the as the central characters devolp the film becames more heart felt, is truly sweet and takes an interesting look at some key modern issues. The stand out scenes are where the lead characters swap letters discussing classical music and its place in the modern world, as well as the scene where he reads Twilight just so that he can have a debate with her over it, her defence of the novel says everything about her character's directness and how much more postive she is than him, also is an interesting comment on modern criticuism. Elizabeth is once again wonderful, she carries the tense scenes with the limtied Radnor, and sells the conflict of the character, her appeal and why in the end the age difference may just be too much to overcome. Richard Jenkins and Allison Janney give relieblely edgy turns. Its not perfect, but still a little suprising.

Looper (Rian Johnson, 118 Mins) 8/10
Unlike most modern Sci-Fi fare this actually has character depth, dramatic weight and human issues at the heart of the story. I actually cared about what was at stake and was conflicted with the lead characters and their motivations. The visual look and ideas behind the plot borrows from a bunch of films, but Looper still has its own identity. The three leads are very good and Jeff Daniels gives a nicely understated steely performance. The director also keeps a good handle on the effects and produces some exciting setpieces throughtout.

Paranorman (Chris Butler, Sam Fell, 92 Mins) 7.5/10
This latest stop mortion animation has the feel of classic disney, with well rounded characters and a strong moral for the younger audience. The animation is very striking, the jokes broad appearing to both age groups and there are enough good scares to make it dark enough for a more advanced child too.

Ginger & Rosa (Sally Potter, 90 Mins) 6.5/10
First thing Ella Fanning gives a very mature and belivable performance in a very difficult lead part in which she has to carry the film emotionally, appently there is Oscar talk and it would be justfied if she got a nod. The early scenes in London give a very tough and compelling rites of passage story with striking colour schemes and a beautiful chilling air. The period detail is top draw, but the story starts coming apart in the middle with some crude posh british steriotypes and contrived plot advancements. The writing of Ginger's mother and her break up with the father is very weak, as is Christina Hendricks forced London acient and desprate performance. The ending was very unsettling, yet powerful, but the final scene maybe should have been lost. Solid, but it could have been much better.

About Elly (Asghar Farhadi, 119 Mins) 8/10
Thought provoking drama, which plays out in a very naturalistic way, with compelling performances and a raw feel. Each scene takes its time and is full of powerful lanague and a air of truth. Like Farhadi's masterpiece A Separation each character is perfectly balanced. What felt true was how one incident like this can bring nasty tensions out and how people tend maximise every little detail to try and get to the truth and hold out hope the worse has not happened. The idea of the Elly character as the outcast who fades into the background and then disappears reminds a little of that Buffy episode with Clea Duval as the unpopluar girl who becomes invisible. Emotioning draining right till the end.

After Lucia (Despues de Lucia) (Michel Franco, 93 Mins) 7/10 LFF Screening
This very modern story about buliling is one of the most uneasy experiences I have had inthe cinema. At times I wanted to be sick and just felt so upset with the world we live in today. It concerns a teenage girl and her father who move to a new city following the death of her mother, both struggle to settle in, he at his new job and her at school. The turning point of the film comes when she gets drunk at a party and sleeps with a boy who films it on his phone, the video gets around the school and this one event sets off some very grim viewing. There is almost no redemption throughout. At times the extreme scenes felt a little too prolonged and over egging the point, also the ending was strange. Trust me it is a good and worthwhile film, just not one I could recommend or maybe even sit through again.

Coming up I hope to see, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Tabu, Skyfall, Hope Springs and Rust and Bone.

Post #: 116
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 28/10/2012 12:51:34 AM   
Ultimo Lee

Not a great year, personally. Still plenty to watch though.

Watched UK Cinema Release's 2012
The Intouchables
A Cat In Paris
21 Jump Street
The Descendants
The Kid with a Bike
The Giants
God Bless America
Young Adult
Take This Waltz
War Horse
Carnage
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
The Five Year Engagement
Into the Abyss
The Cabin In The Woods
Les Lyonnais
Babycall
Moonrise Kingdom
She Monkeys
The Sitter
Wanderlust
Cafe de Flore
Jeff Who Lives At Home
Carancho
Prometheus
The Grey
Mirror Mirror
Dark Shadows
Haywire
The Dictator
X: Night of Vengeance 90min

New in Bold

Total: 32

Post #: 117
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 30/10/2012 1:09:59 PM   
Dr Lenera

Reviews as usual elsewhere except last one.....

HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA
Has a great premise and is pretty funny to begin with, but gets a little tiresome, is visually uninteresting and should this kind of film really have crude jokes about piss, sex etc?
5/10

FRANKENWEENIE
Perhaps Burton’s most personal film that is a gift for any fans of old horror movies. Could have done with a bit more warmth, and the original Frankenweenie was more touching, but generally this is the old Burton back. Hurray!
8/10

SKYFALL
Certainly not the best Bond film, in fact not even in the top ten. Craig is fantastic but the film is extremely uneven, alternates great stuff with tedium and ends up feeling more like a Mendes film than a Bond film. Still good, and miles better than the last one
7/10

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4
A lazy contintuation which doesn't add anything to the first three, just seems to mark time, and, worst of all, just isn't scary. 4/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 30/10/2012 1:18:33 PM >

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 118
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 1/11/2012 2:05:52 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Reviews as usual elsewhere except last one.....

HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA
Has a great premise and is pretty funny to begin with, but gets a little tiresome, is visually uninteresting and should this kind of film really have crude jokes about piss, sex etc?
5/10

FRANKENWEENIE
Perhaps Burton’s most personal film that is a gift for any fans of old horror movies. Could have done with a bit more warmth, and the original Frankenweenie was more touching, but generally this is the old Burton back. Hurray!
8/10

SKYFALL
Certainly not the best Bond film, in fact not even in the top ten. Craig is fantastic but the film is extremely uneven, alternates great stuff with tedium and ends up feeling more like a Mendes film than a Bond film. Still good, and miles better than the last one
7/10

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4
A lazy contintuation which doesn't add anything to the first three, just seems to mark time, and, worst of all, just isn't scary. 4/10

Would be interested to know which ten Bond films you think are better. I have not seen Skyfall yet but I have high hopes and while I do enjoy Bond films there have been a number of bad ones I would expect this to be at least mid-range under some of the Connery classics, and Living Daylights.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 119
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 2/11/2012 3:38:05 PM   
Dr Lenera

Dr No [maybe]
From Russia With Love
Goldfinger
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Diamonds Are Forever [maybe]
Live And Let Die
The Spy Who Loved Me [maybe]
Moonraker [don't care, I think it's awesome!]
For Your Eyes Only [maybe]
Octopussy
The Living Daylights
Casino Royale

I like all Bond films except for Quantum Of Crappage.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 2/11/2012 3:42:15 PM >

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI