Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 10 Films of 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 24/1/2012 8:28:44 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

THE DARKEST HOUR
Yet another bad alien invasion movie [why is it so hard to get those right these days?], which, for the most part, isn't fun enough to be a 'good bad' movie; it's mostly just bad. A reasonably good first fifteen minutes and a hilarious dumb final fifteen minutes don't really compensate for the tedium of the rest.
3.5/10

Dr Lenera, it must be said you've been FAR too kind!

THE DARKEST HOUR (...and a half....boom boom!!)

Where to start with this colossal turd? In the opening moments, as soon as the hapless Emile Hirsch opens his mouth with an attempt at wise-cracking over the "no mobile phones switched on when on a plane" situation, I hated him instantly. As he & his arsehole of a friend then arrive at Moscow airport & start musing over their fantastic enterprising internet idea that will surely make them millions & millions - I hated the pair of them equally. And as soon as we're introduced to that lassie from Juno & that Aussie one from Transformers prancing around Red Square displaying their obnoxious touristy behaviour, I hated EVERYONE I was supposed to empathise with for the films duration - bugger.

Yet even a set of loathsome characters may end up being a good thing if the film opts to put them through utter misery (casing point the Final Destination series), unfortunately though the only ones likely to suffer immensely through the Darkest Hour is the audience themselves. After 15 minutes of vile, imperialistic exposition; the aliens thankfully arrive & start killing everybody in sight - forcing our "heroes" to forget about any character arcs they've attempted to build up in the opening stages, switch into bland / personality-free "survivalist mode" and lock themselves in a kitchen cupboard alongside the routine cowardly, jerk-like figure who is obviously neither American or Russian & will inevitability perish in the later stages.

And then the boredom, OH THE BOREDOM! The following hour attempts to evoke the apocalyptic empty atmosphere defined by the likes of 28 Days Later, The Omega Man & Day Of The Triffids, yet instead creates the feeling you've been locked in a darkened room against your will for 4 weeks. We lurch from one tedious "lets go here" storyline to, "actually no wait, let's go here instead" plot thread - meeting a collection of scarcely-drawn Russian's along the way who occasionally need a little dose of westernised wisdom in order to combat their cowardly, sexist Eastern bloc tendencies and behave appropriately in a crisis-ridden situation.

We'll even face the scenario of plot logic breathtakingly leaping out of the window over & over again. With electricity being the catalyst for the ridiculous outer space creations to impose their aggressive will against humanity; a character will freak out over a pocket radio switched on yet she'll be quite content with around a dozen lights illuminating the room they find themselves in at the time. A singular bus amongst many will manage to take on a life of its own in a sort of Maximum Overdrive kind of way, despite the absence of a foot on the accelerator. We'll have a bunch of mobile phones that'll ring as warning signs despite nobody actually attempting to call them in the first place. Our heroes will invent a special gun that can kill the badly-rendered baddies yet will still resort to classic "Russian bullets" that previously failed. The characters will face a capsizing boat, propelling one of them to make it to shore & run a good 2 miles in the opposite direction of where they actually need to go (about the length of the average swimming pool), hide within a bus & launch a flare they previously had no knowledge of acquiring...And then the jewel on the crown of shite; despite the cataclysmic devastation wiping out much of the earth's power supply, a character will still manage to receive a text message on board a nuclear submarine - presumably their network provider wasn't O2?

All of this nonsense would be somewhat forgivable if it were hilariously fun, it isn't. It's a hateful exercise in boredom & Western consumerism disguised by the premise of an alien invasion flick. It's insistence on going "look there's a McDonalds, a Starbucks, a shopping centre full of your favourite shops you'll find back in the good ol' US of freaking A – so you see, us Russian's are just like you...but in Russian like, ya know?” is reminiscent of the worst possible tourist – the kind that goes to a foreign country yet only invests money in everything they already have access to back home. The Darkest Hour? If only it felt that short....

1/10

Ha Ha! Great review and a very entertaining read indeed!  I did a review but most of mine are now too long to put on this thread. Some excellent points; I still found bits of it entertaining, though I doubt I'll ever see it again.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 31
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 24/1/2012 7:47:26 PM   
ElephantBoy

Think I will try and fit in Heywire, J. Edger and The Iron Lady soon.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 32
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 26/1/2012 5:40:58 PM   
Dr Lenera

HAYWIRE
I never really know what I'm going to get with a Steven Soderburgh film, but this one is a bit of a failure.  His supposed 'take' on the action movie is burdened by a muddled script that pretends its simple story is actually complicated, a total lack of tension, a dreadful performance by its lead star, cardboard characters and self-consciously stylised direction that is at odds with the trashy material.  At least the meagre fight scenes are good, and shot so you can see what's going on.  Otherwise, if you want to see an arty action film, see Hanna.
3.5/10

J EDGAR
Review in the Review thread, but in short; reasonably absorbing if a bit awkward and unnecessarily vague, and not as enjoyable as The Private Files Of Edgar Hoover!
6/10

THE ARTIST
As my cinema only got this last week, I am including it here, though I know of course that it really came out the end of last year so can remove it from my list if required.  Basically A Star Is Born meets Singing In The Rain, but turned into a wonderful tribute to silent movies, full of wonderful moments that are designed for maximum emotional impact, including some that nearly brought me to tears, so that after a while you don't miss the absence of dialogue.  Like Hugo, it's love of pure cinema is over every frame, though it falls a little short of that masterpiece, and there is though one dreadful sequence that almost ruins it, where Ludovic Bource's fantastic score is replaced by the 'scene d'amour' music from Vertigo, the music just not fitting at all.  Overall though, a delight!
8.5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 26/1/2012 5:47:37 PM >

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 33
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 29/1/2012 9:19:14 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Again Doc, you're being a bit kind there...

CORIOLANUS

I'm not particularly familiar with the Shakespeare play so the reservations I have with the film I suspect are more to do with that (I wasn't too convinced by the quick transition to call for banishment or that the mother's influence could achieve what it managed in the closing stages). In terms of a piece of cinema however; it's brilliantly performed (Fiennes & Redgrave completely relish the Shakespeare dialect, Cox offers fine support, Butler has never been better), its setting to a modern warfare context works really well (Barry Ackroyd's cinematography certainly helps in this regard) & Fiennes' first venture on the directors chair suggests that he has a lot to offer in the role (the very ending is handled extremely well for a first timer). A very impressive directorial début from one of the UK's finest actors.
7.5/10

J EDGAR

Oh Clint; you're really not on a great run of form right now are you? J.Edgar is one of those immaculate-looking biopics that can't decide on what kind of biopic it wants to be & as a result, all the key aspects of J. Edgar Hoover's life (his prominent role in the development of the FBI, his relationship with Tolston, his battle with his own social awkwardness / sexuality, his relationship with his mother etc) are briefly touched upon rather than satisfyingly developed - resulting in a relatively tedious & predominantly disengaging experience. The cast aren't helped either by some dreadful make-up prosthetics - leading to a number of scenes (especially ones involving the older Tolston) becoming unintentionally hilarious. Disappointingly average.
4.5/10

Will definitely be checking out The Descendents & Margin Call before the month is out. Might squeeze in Liam Neeson tearing down some wolves in The Grey as well.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 29/1/2012 9:37:00 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 34
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 3/2/2012 5:59:28 PM   
chambanzi

1. The Descendants- 9
2. A Monster in Paris- 7.5

Post #: 35
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 6/2/2012 8:57:07 PM   
Qwerty Norris

THE DESCENDANTS

Never hits the dizzy heights of Sideways, but in fairness, I suspect Alexander Payne will struggle to ever top that effort of eights ago. Still, good to see him back with another drama seeped in melancholy yet not immune from the odd giggle. Clooney is great as the father figure struggling to keep it together whilst everything around him falls apart, whilst the two daughters provide excellent back-up & really sell the notion of a fragmanted family unit attempting to bring themselves back together in the midst of tragedy. It's tough to think of George being any better in a previous film, but for me Gary Oldman, Jean Dujardin & Damien Bichir all still rank ahead of him in the "who I feel deserves the best actor nod" debate. Overall though; an honest, believable drama about grief which is sentimental yet never sickly and having dealt with it myself, feels absolutely true to the scenario of a dysfunctional family dealing with the loss of a key member.
7.5/10

CHRONICLE

Suffers a little from the trappings of the well-worn found footage genre (the inclusion of Matt's blogging missus & her camera felt awfully weak), whilst the inclusion of a leading character singing along to Jessie J is never a good way to get me onside. That said, it's a nice take on the superhero story, does a decent enough job of building the appropriate character arcs (even if they are extremely familiar) and the pay-off towards the end is worth the cinema trip alone. Nothing hugely groundbreaking, but thoroughly enjoyable all the same.
6.5/10

MARGIN CALL

A bit like Inside Job in the sense of condensing a very complicated issue into a manner that makes sense yet doesn't come across as over-simplification. The cast are universally great (Bettany & Irons are terrific, whilst it feels like it's been ages since I've seen Kevin Spacey in anything good) & given it’s a film made up entirely of people speaking in rooms about the financial markets over the course of a 24 hour period it's remarkably gripping. There is however a dog subplot which initially seemed to suggest that those within the financial industry care about an elderly pet more than the livelihoods of their staff (which I liked), yet it's purpose ultimately materialises into a jarring ending that doesn't really work & brings proceedings to a sudden halt. Still, like the empire review suggested - it does the job Wall Street 2 really should have really attempted. Very impressive.
7.5/10

Before Friday; I should be checking out Carnage, The Grey, Young Adult & for no reason other than perverse intrigue...Jack & Jill.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 36
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 7/2/2012 8:33:36 PM   
ElephantBoy

Nice reviews there. I will final be adding my first movies of 2012 during the coming week. Today I saw Chronicle and will be seeing Shame and The Muppets Movie (the highlight of the year surely!) before the end of the week

Post #: 37
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 8/2/2012 7:10:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

Really want to see Carnage but its not playing near me. Anyway

CHRONICLE
With the odd exception such as Cloverfield, I'm not the biggest fan of 'found footage' movies and think the subgenre has worn itself, but Chronicle is a really pleasant surprise, a clever and original spin on superhero and teen themes. A really impressive achievement on a tiny budget, with effects that are better than many a big budget movie.
7.5/10

A MONSTER IN PARIS
This animated romp is extremely awkward at first, with too many characters and lseemingly little sense of direction, but started to win me over with its charm asnd its sheer oddness in places, while it is certainly stunning to look at. Review on review thread!
6/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 8/2/2012 7:13:04 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 10/2/2012 11:21:57 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Pretty much summed up my views as well over Chronicle doc, although you probably liked it a bit more than I did.

JACK & JILL

After watching a rough cut of his dunkin' donuts-appearing commercial; a caricature of Al Pacino (played by...err...Al Pacino) turns round to its producer played by one Adam Sandler to offer his opinion. "Burn this....this must never be seen.... by anyone....all copies....destroy them." The deep irony of course being that this point of view is comfortably appropriate for the review ofJack & Jill itself.

The nicest possible thing that can possibly be said about Sandler's new vehicle is that it never reaches the levels of technical incompetence set by such monumental disasters like Tommy Wiseau's The Room... but that is absolutely it. In recent memory; It's hard to think of a film as headache-inducing, head in the hands, fingers over the eyes, jaw-dropping, seat-sinking, brain-battering, "OH FOR HEAVENS SAKE" declaring, world-shatteringly awful as Jack & Jill. There are no redemptive qualities. There are no "so bad it's good" characteristics. There is literally nothing within it to consider it as anything other than cinematic torture. If you're a fan of Al Pacino, Johnny Depp, John Mcenroe or even Justin Bieber - it's more dreadful than you can possibly imagine.

Too often; there are people out there who will come out of a perfectly decent and well-intended (if perhaps flawed) piece and come out going "that was rubbish" or type furiously onto their keyboards and post "worst film ever" on the IMDB forums. At worst, these types of people are complete morons. At best, they're extremely naive. To understand just how bad a mainstream film can aspire to; one has to experience a film like Jack & Jill. A film that metaphorically speaking; is the equivalent of Adam Sandler gathering all his films, all his awards, all his earnings, all his credibility (of what's left of it anyway) - absolutely everything relatable to his career, soaking it in petrol & setting it ablaze with not a match, but a flame-thrower...or maybe even the firery depths of eternal hell.

Astonishingly shite.
0.5/10

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE

An atmospheric & impressively ambiguous drama about a lost girl (both literally & metaphorically) who escapes a dangerous cult, yet struggles to re-adapt to the form of normality she abandoned in the first place. It does a very good job of intertwining the two separate timelines, contains a brilliant breakthrough performance from Elizabeth Olsen and is one of those films that gets under the skin and stays with you long after the credits. Certainly worthy of the same praise as the previous Sundance hit that gathered a lot of awards buzz (Winters Bone) & a very fine debut feature from Sean Durkin.
8/10

YOUNG ADULT

After the utter rubbish that was Jennifer's Body, it's good to see Diablo Cody (with the help of Jason Reitman once again) returning to form with this enjoyably nihilistic comedy drama showcasing a great performance from Charlize Theron. Not only is it her best role since Monster , she does a fantastic job of playing an immensely unlikeable character through her choice of words, yet frequently displays both a huge sense of vulnerability & a fractured individual constantly acting in denial through her pitch-perfect body language - a performance that certainly wouldn't have been undeserving of awards recognition.
7/10

CARNAGE

You do at times wonder how much of the successes of Carnage is down to the source material of the play, whilst it does lack a heart in order to make any of the quartet sympathetic (or even to an extent, believable) and the confines of its obvious stage roots does result in a piece that's not particularly cinematic. That said; it's a very funny, very lean satire on the absurdities of middle class etiquette and one of the better Polanski efforts of recent times.
6.5/10

Over the next week; will be checking out The Grey after hearing some positive reviews that differ from what the "Liam Neeson Vs Wolves" trailer suggested. Daniel Radcliffe breaking away from Harry Potter typecasting in James Watkins' follow-up to Eden Lake, The Woman In Black. And of course, there's the small matter of The Muppets.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 39
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 11/2/2012 12:55:51 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Pretty much summed up my views as well over Chronicle doc, although you probably liked it a bit more than I did.

JACK & JILL

After watching a rough cut of his dunkin' donuts-appearing commercial; a caricature of Al Pacino (played by...err...Al Pacino) turns round to its producer played by one Adam Sandler to offer his opinion. "Burn this....this must never be seen.... by anyone....all copies....destroy them." The deep irony of course being that this point of view is comfortably appropriate for the review ofJack & Jill itself.

The nicest possible thing that can possibly be said about Sandler's new vehicle is that it never reaches the levels of technical incompetence set by such monumental disasters like Tommy Wiseau's The Room... but that is absolutely it. In recent memory; It's hard to think of a film as headache-inducing, head in the hands, fingers over the eyes, jaw-dropping, seat-sinking, brain-battering, "OH FOR HEAVENS SAKE" declaring, world-shatteringly awful as Jack & Jill. There are no redemptive qualities. There are no "so bad it's good" characteristics. There is literally nothing within it to consider it as anything other than cinematic torture. If you're a fan of Al Pacino, Johnny Depp, John Mcenroe or even Justin Bieber - it's more dreadful than you can possibly imagine.

Too often; there are people out there who will come out of a perfectly decent and well-intended (if perhaps flawed) piece and come out going "that was rubbish" or type furiously onto their keyboards and post "worst film ever" on the IMDB forums. At worst, these types of people are complete morons. At best, they're extremely naive. To understand just how bad a mainstream film can aspire to; one has to experience a film like Jack & Jill. A film that metaphorically speaking; is the equivalent of Adam Sandler gathering all his films, all his awards, all his earnings, all his credibility (of what's left of it anyway) - absolutely everything relatable to his career, soaking it in petrol & setting it ablaze with not a match, but a flame-thrower...or maybe even the firery depths of eternal hell.

Astonishingly shite.
0.5/10
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE

An atmospheric & impressively ambiguous drama about a lost girl (both literally & metaphorically) who escapes a dangerous cult, yet struggles to re-adapt to the form of normality she abandoned in the first place. It does a very good job of intertwining the two separate timelines, contains a brilliant breakthrough performance from Elizabeth Olsen and is one of those films that gets under the skin and stays with you long after the credits. Certainly worthy of the same praise as the previous Sundance hit that gathered a lot of awards buzz (Winters Bone) & a very fine debut feature from Sean Durkin.
8/10

YOUNG ADULT

After the utter rubbish that was Jennifer's Body, it's good to see Diablo Cody (with the help of Jason Reitman once again) returning to form with this enjoyably nihilistic comedy drama showcasing a great performance from Charlize Theron. Not only is it her best role since Monster , she does a fantastic job of playing an immensely unlikeable character through her choice of words, yet frequently displays both a huge sense of vulnerability & a fractured individual constantly acting in denial through her pitch-perfect body language - a performance that certainly wouldn't have been undeserving of awards recognition.
7/10

CARNAGE

You do at times wonder how much of the successes of Carnage is down to the source material of the play, whilst it does lack a heart in order to make any of the quartet sympathetic (or even to an extent, believable) and the confines of its obvious stage roots does result in a piece that's not particularly cinematic. That said; it's a very funny, very lean satire on the absurdities of middle class etiquette and one of the better Polanski efforts of recent times.
6.5/10

Over the next week; will be checking out The Grey after hearing some positive reviews that differ from what the "Liam Neeson Vs Wolves" trailer suggested. Daniel Radcliffe breaking away from Harry Potter typecasting in James Watkins' follow-up to Eden Lake, The Woman In Black. And of course, there's the small matter of The Muppets.

You never learn your lession do you? I mean even if you do still have that cineworld card surely you must still draw a line at wasting hours of your list on this stuff

Post #: 40
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 11/2/2012 1:03:40 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Not at all!There is something almost therapeutic about watching an incredibly rubbish film. I'll take it over a very bland Sam Worthington-starred one (i.e. Man On A Ledge) any day of the week!

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 41
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 11/2/2012 1:15:38 AM   
ElephantBoy

Please say you are joking? Sam Worthington is a rubbish actor, but I am sure MOL is an ok straight to video type thriller. Sadler on the other hand is just plain annoying and that sort of comedy represent everything which is bad and evil in commical filmmaking today. I do take a chance on films I am almost certain are going to bad, but against this gabage I take a stand

Post #: 42
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 12/2/2012 3:12:39 PM   
Qwerty Norris

It already bombed stateside, I haven't seen a Sandler film in years & I heard so many bad things about it I was curious...those are my legitimate excuses.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 43
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 17/2/2012 9:03:33 PM   
ElephantBoy

Chronicle (Josh Trank, 83 Mins) 5/10
This started off as quite a nice little film based on today nacissist youth as well as the modern obsession with grabing your fifteen minutes of fame, however the further the movie got along the more over blown and empity it became, always falling too in love its own idea. It soon becomes very gimmicky and ends like a teen version of Iron man, with totally plasitic and annoying characters. The effects are good, but the film quickly runs out of ideas and loses its depth.

The Muppets (James Bobin, 103 Mins) 8/10
The magic is well and truly back. I define anyone not to leave the cinema after this with a smile spread across their face. The film is a little slow at the begining when they are explaining the obsence of the Muppets and the period of getting them back together. But once it gets going, it is a real blast. The post modern and 80's releated jokes are a clever way to update the Muppets, and there are some inventive and colourful set pieces to entertain all. The musical numbers are delightful, and there are fine support from the likes Chris Cooper and Amy Adams. It isn't quite the Muppets Christmas Carol or Take Manhatten, but it is so much better than about 90% of todays family films. And if that song doesn't win the Oscar I am going to riot!

The Grey (Joe Carnahan, 117 Mins) 6.5/10
Solid, action thriller, with an effective use of sound and good visuals. Neeson is on fine hammy form. It passes the time quite nicely and there are some good jumps in there, however it does ramble at times, runs out of the stearm later on, and some of the more human moments are a bit heavy handed and not very well thought out. But it is a solid couple of hours.

Shame (Steve McQueen, 100 Mins) 8.5/10
An early contender for film of the year. Michael Fassbender gives his most impressive to date, as a very cold, sly, but shadowery figure who builds in rage over the course of the film. The lead character is a morally complex character who at times draws you, only to leave you dissappointed. The city of New York is captured in all its gloomy darkness, there is a chill in the air all the way through and the twists of the plot late on really took me off garde. Carey Mulligan gives another excellent turn this time transforming herself into a trashy, yet vulenable and rangeful figure. One of the most challenging, scary and engrossing films I have seen in a long time.

Coming up I hope to see Coriolanus, J . Edgar and The Iron Lady.

Post #: 44
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 18/2/2012 11:02:23 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

JACK & JILL

Astonishingly shite.
0.5/10

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE

8/10

YOUNG ADULT

7/10

CARNAGE

6.5/10

0.5/10 for Jack And Jill!

Post #: 45
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 18/2/2012 11:12:38 AM   
Dr Lenera

THE WOMAN IN BLACK
Now I was surprised [but pleased] when I heard this has very traditional, slow-paced ghost story has become a huge hit and indeed I could barely get a seat at my cinema, but then of course it does have a certain Harry Potter in the lead role! Actually Daniel Radcliffe is okay, considering at least a third of the film consists of him on his own, in a haunted house. These lengthy sequences are superb examples of creepy atmosphere building and contains some solid jolts, though I could have done without the obvious CGI. Overall, the film drags its heels a little too much and a few bits fall flat but it's great to look at and solidly plotted, though the ending, which I hear has been changed from the book, seemed a bit of place for me. As someone who has yet to see the ITV version, I thoroughly enjoyed this often scary, but also rather quaint, old fashioned spook tale, though I disagree with it being cut to get a '12' certificate,which I still don't think it deserves; there may be little blood and violence, but God it screws with your mind!

7.5/10

THE MUPPETS
Longer review elsewhere in Reviews, but for the most part this is a thorougly enjoyable piece of fun, the kind to put a goofy smile on your face and keep it there as you leave the cinema. I laughed alot and was pleasently surprised how wierd certain bits were too ['Man Or Muppet'?]. It's slightly let down by its plot, which has been done to death, and a poorly written romantic subplot with a seriously uncharismatic Jason Segel [Amy Adams is divine though!], but these don't really ruin the joy of the movie, which manages cleverly to mock and celebrate at the same time. I didn't have much interest in the TV show as a kid, and have never even seen a Muppet movie up to now, so I'm not too familiar with the Muppets, but think I might go check some more out....

8/10

THE GREY
Again, longer review elswhere, but overall a solid survival yarn, suspenseful and so convincing that you pretty much forget the silliness [these wolves are hardly anything like real wolves!] until after you've left the cinema. Sadly the wolf attack scenes are ruined by the usual mess of closeups and shakycam that seems to be par for the course these days, and the creatures are most effective when either unseen or far away, such as a scary night time of shot of loads of eyes staring at the humans out of the dark. A strong performance from Liam Neeson and an underlying subtext about dealing with death gives the action some weight.

7/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 18/2/2012 11:36:10 AM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 46
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 18/2/2012 5:02:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

THE WOMAN IN BLACK
Now I was surprised [but pleased] when I heard this has very traditional, slow-paced ghost story has become a huge hit and indeed I could barely get a seat at my cinema, but then of course it does have a certain Harry Potter in the lead role! Actually Daniel Radcliffe is okay, considering at least a third of the film consists of him on his own, in a haunted house. These lengthy sequences are superb examples of creepy atmosphere building and contains some solid jolts, though I could have done without the obvious CGI. Overall, the film drags its heels a little too much and a few bits fall flat but it's great to look at and solidly plotted, though the ending, which I hear has been changed from the book, seemed a bit of place for me. As someone who has yet to see the ITV version, I thoroughly enjoyed this often scary, but also rather quaint, old fashioned spook tale, though I disagree with it being cut to get a '12' certificate,which I still don't think it deserves; there may be little blood and violence, but God it screws with your mind!

7.5/10

THE MUPPETS
Longer review elsewhere in Reviews, but for the most part this is a thorougly enjoyable piece of fun, the kind to put a goofy smile on your face and keep it there as you leave the cinema. I laughed alot and was pleasently surprised how wierd certain bits were too ['Man Or Muppet'?]. It's slightly let down by its plot, which has been done to death, and a poorly written romantic subplot with a seriously uncharismatic Jason Segel [Amy Adams is divine though!], but these don't really ruin the joy of the movie, which manages cleverly to mock and celebrate at the same time. I didn't have much interest in the TV show as a kid, and have never even seen a Muppet movie up to now, so I'm not too familiar with the Muppets, but think I might go check some more out....

8/10

THE GREY
Again, longer review elswhere, but overall a solid survival yarn, suspenseful and so convincing that you pretty much forget the silliness [these wolves are hardly anything like real wolves!] until after you've left the cinema. Sadly the wolf attack scenes are ruined by the usual mess of closeups and shakycam that seems to be par for the course these days, and the creatures are most effective when either unseen or far away, such as a scary night time of shot of loads of eyes staring at the humans out of the dark. A strong performance from Liam Neeson and an underlying subtext about dealing with death gives the action some weight.

7/10

To start with I think Segel is fine, he plays dopey, touque in cheek very well and that is kind of the point of the character. Also I don't get your point on the romance, it is supposed to be cheesy and ironic, the point is you are not supposed to emotionally involving, it is just a supporting part to the greater storyline involving the Muppets.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 47
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 19/2/2012 10:23:44 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Even though I'm very pleased you really liked Shame Elephantboy, I can't help but feel you're one of the many other voices doing The Grey a disservice - looks like the doc is more in alignment with my thoughts...

THE MUPPETS

There's no doubt whatsoever that Jason Segal's involvement has led to a Muppets film that is lovingly created and fully understands why they're endearing to so many people over many years. That said; that alone cannot constitute a flawless piece. The film may be called The Muppets; but in reality it should be called Walter. Now don't get me wrong; Walter is perfectly fine. His brother Gary, played by the aforementioned Segal is also perfectly fine. Gary's other half Mary played by Amy Adams is rather wonderful (but then again, Amy Adams always is - even in utter garbage like Leap Year). However; when I went to see a film called The Muppets, I was anticipating to watch a story or a film that is both about and is centred around....you guessed it...THE MUPPETS!

In reality, we don't get this. For sure; we get a good doze of Kermit, Fozzy, Ms Piggy & most of well-known henson creations that bring back happy moments of ones childhood. But in spite of what the title suggests, they are side characters within their own film - a situation that no Muppet feature from The Muppet Movie to Muppets In Space has really done before, certainly not to the extent this one does. Whilst I understand it's like this in order to tell its desired story, one however cannot feel they've been a little short-changed as a result.

Furthermore (and to back up a previous comment from another forum member), it's not quite as chaotic as you'd hope - one of the vital ingredients that made the Muppets such a joy in the first place. It has that kind of Disney shine to it which seems at times more pre-occupied promoting its own separate vehicles (Cars 2, Selena Gomez) than actually giving the Muppets the full reign they ought to deserve. They feel restrained far too often. There is nothing in this for example that ever matches in the complete mayhem entailed at the happiness hotel in the Great Muppet Caper (along with Christmas Carol - my absolute favourite feature of theirs) and that is pretty disappointing.

That said; it's still great to see the old gang back together, whilst Bret McKenzie's songs are magnificent - effortlessly channelling both the spirit of Flight Of The Conchords & the Muppets themselves . As previously mentioned, it's nowhere near as focused on the main draw as you'd like and it isn't as mad as you want it to be. But even the most cold-hearted & cynical-minded of us will struggle to maintain a stoney exterior throughout.
6.5/10

THE GREY

Even though the trailer suggested Liam Neeson might get on his "I don't know what kind of wolves you are...." drawl, the idea of 'Taken...with Wolves' couldn't be further from the reality - and that is absolutely a good thing from my point of view. Admittedly the wolves aren't always brilliantly rendered, whilst the action sequences do go into quick-cut overload a lot of the time. Yet that shouldn't cause one to forget some of The Grey's finer moments (the entire plane sequence and a unexpectedly moving scene involving a surviving member sitting down to some picturesque scenery). A surprising, frequently well directed and performed study of broken, isolated men coming to terms with the imposing nature of death in the guise of a survivalist thriller.
7/10

THE WOMAN IN BLACK

Apparently cuts were made in order to secure the 12A certificate, which for a director like James Watkins (who directed such uncompromising fare like Eden Lake and wrote terror-fuelled pieces like The Descent) is a little bit disappointing - although given the involvement of Radcliffe, is hardly a surprise. As a result, it leads to a ghost story that will absolutely work for young teenagers in terms of chills, yet those better versed in haunted house fare will admire it rather than being genuinely spooked - a wee bit of a let-down after the brilliantly unnerving teaser trailer. As for Harry Potter himself; whilst initially giving off indications that he's far too young to play his character, he grows into the role well as things develop and convincingly portrays a grieve-stricken man motivated to chasing shadows - playing the Woman In Black's 20 minute silent centrepiece very well in particular. In general, an admirable effort with a little too much reveal of the title character, whilst the final minute is disappointingly mainstream.
6/10

A slightly slower week awaits; will check out Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method as well as Stephen Daldry's never ending exercise in receiving awards recognition for supposedly unjust fare (this time in the form of Extremely Loud & Extremely Close). Might check out The Woman In The Filth as well....

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 19/2/2012 10:24:20 PM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 48
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 20/2/2012 8:07:48 PM   
ElephantBoy

I did give the Grey 6.5/10 and had mostly postitive things to say about, just that it was a solid two hours of entertainment, and nothing much more for me.

Post #: 49
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 1/3/2012 5:48:14 PM   
Qwerty Norris

A slow week...as predicted.

A DANGEROUS METHOD

I'm curious to know what those with an in-depth knowledge of both Freud & psychoanalysis thought of this, as for the average viewer like yours truly, it came across as a film with an interesting subject matter at its heart yet was deeply disengaging as a piece of drama. With its themes of psychology & sex, it's easy to see what attracted Cronenberg to it the first place. Yet for a film-maker with his relatively high standards, this for me was disappointingly flat & was reminiscent of a bland BBC period drama (with occasional acts of the perverse) rather than a work by a man who until now had never made a dull film. Disappointing.
4.5/10

Will be checking out Michael tomorrow and if I can be bothered, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, This Means War & Rampart over the week.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 50
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 1/3/2012 8:38:01 PM   
Dr Lenera

Want to see Dangerous Method, but, as usual, it is not on locally to me.

RED DOG
I’m going to admit that I’m a bit of a sucker for movies about dogs [I pride myself on liking many different kinds of movies] so Red Dog, based on the true story of a Kelpie/Cattle Dog cross who in 1979 ventured all over Western Australia searching for his owner and had a statue erected in his honour, seemed like just the ticket for me. Actually it is a little different from what one might expect; the scenes where the dog takes centre stage are few in number and if you’re looking for Beethoven- style antics you’ll be disappointed, while the reason the dog is so famous in Australia is only given about ten minutes of screen time, possibly a good thing if like me you’re still recovering from the heartbreaking Hachi: A Dog’s Tale! Red Dog concentrates more on the dog’s effect on the community in the film, and does it not just with great warmth but lots of that Australian quirkiness which most of the best movies from Down Under possess. Though there’s little pandering to kids, there are lots of laughs [some of the best coming from the Italian miner in the town who cannot stop going on about his home town], a bit of sadness plus some romance, but a general avoidance of sappiness. Red Dog may not sound like anything spectacular, but, possibly because unlike The Artist and War Horse it has had little hype, at least outside Australia, it probably gave me more pleasure than any film so far this year. I fell in love not just with the title pooch but the community which he graces, the often eccentric folk he gives some direction to, and you may too. Give it a go; it mixes happiness and sadness, humour and seriousness, in a way just like life itself.
8.5/10

THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL
If you’re under 50, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel sounds like one of those films your take your mother or grandmother too and just put up with without really enjoying. Well, it most certainly is a film for the elderly generation [the screen I watched it in was absolutely packed with old people], but there’s nothing wrong with that, and if you’re patient the film does have its pleasures even if you are not the target audience. Beginning as a straight-up comedy, with some of the funniest lines I’ve heard in ages [though admittedly you will have heard many of them in the trailer!], it doesn’t really proceed like one, and for some of its length moves at a pace more arthritic than any of its characters, but like them does attain some considerable dignity and ends up becoming rather involving. One particular subplot involving a character’s hidden past is especially well handled and ends in a very moving way, while all the major cast members act their socks off and are all given their moments to shine. The Indian city of Jaipur is a character in itself with all its vibrancy and colour, though a subplot involving Slumdog Millionaire’s Dev Patel [whose character will totally win you over with his cheerful optimism] seems like it belongs more in that film, and overall the movie doesn’t really hang together. However, its portrayal of people in their later years living their life to the full is very pleasing and one to be admired, and, though good in fits and spurts rather than continuously, when it is good, it’s relaxed charm and disdain for the typical Western view of old age as something pitiful may very well win you over. Whatever your age.
7/10

This Means War looks horrid but the wife wants to see it, and have already seen John Carter, will post thoughts soon.

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 2/3/2012 7:27:53 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 1/3/2012 9:00:24 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

This Means War looks horrid but the wife wants to see it, and have already seen John Carter, will post thoughts soon.

...always assumed was female forumite...unless is lesbian...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 52
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 1/3/2012 10:20:44 PM   
ElephantBoy

Interesting reviews there Dr. Red Dog isn't one I would expect much from, but I think it is showing near me right now and based on your review I might give it a bash.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 53
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 2/3/2012 6:00:06 PM   
ElephantBoy

The Iron Lady [Phyllida Lloyd, 104 Mins] 4/10
First of all lets get the performance out of the way. Because what you see in this film is not a classic Meryl Streep performance with emotional depth or chrasma, what you see in this film is a brilliant makeup, hair and teeth performance which makes said actress look almost identical to the former Prime Minister. This kind of defeats the point of an actress playing a part of a real life character. From there Streep either doesn't show up or is strait jacketed so much by the cosmatics. Besides that it is a very watered down biopic, which only briefly touches on the key polictical events during Thatcher's career and quite often they are presented in sloppy music motages. The device of having Dennis speaking to Thatcher from beyond the grave as she reflicts on the past was clunky too. Both Jim Broadbent and Olivia Coleman are very fine, but neither are given enough to do to really make that much of a difference.

J. Edgar [Clint Eastwood, 136 Mins] 5.5/10
Kind of a companion piece to TIL as once again the make up department does go into over drive in the way it ages the central characters, Naomi Watts espically suffers. However it is not as much of a problem here as DiCaprio makes a good bash at playing the controversial law enforcement figure [althrough at times I found his performance a little too restrained and certainly not up there with his wonderful recent turns in the likes of Inception and Shutter Island], and Judi Dench was fantastic as his dying mother. The problem is just how unengaging and uncineamatic the whole thing felt. Yes it had some degree of visual style, but it always felt a bit bland to me and the direction was flat. Also the story got lost in too much period detail and mionor observations. The film was too long, self important and rambling [the voice over did nothing for me] and Eastwood has managed to turn a very interesting subject matter into a truly unremarkable film

Coming up I should be seeing The Descendants, Like Crazy and Carnage.

Post #: 54
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 2/3/2012 9:51:03 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Kind of a companion piece to TIL as once again the make up department does go into over drive in the way it ages the central characters,

One key difference between the pair though. Unlike the Thatcher dementia tale, the prosthetics used in J Edgar are laughably shit!

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 55
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 3/3/2012 8:36:42 AM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

...always assumed was female forumite...unless is lesbian...

Nah I'm male.....last night I looked anyway!!

Post #: 56
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 4/3/2012 10:37:33 PM   
homersimpson_esq

You have an effeminate username. It's the "a" at the end. My classical education says that girls names end in "a".

Shush, I know that a) it's a surname, and b) it's NOT A REAL NAME. But yes.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 57
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 8/3/2012 12:44:39 PM   
Dr Lenera

LOL!!!!

Anyway, moving on......got to review all three of these so detailed reviews in review thread....but briefly

John Carter
Enjoyable, fast paced sci fi adventure but disappointingly low on action, and bits from Burrough's books have been used so many times since they were written that the film just doesn't feel fresh.
7/10

This Means War
Pretty horrid, even offensive shit where we are asked to think cool the moronic and unpleasent characters. Hardy and Pine do have some chemistry, but need a better vehicle, and how the hell did it get a '12A'?
2/10.

Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance
At least the first movie was reasonably entertaining; this one isn't even that, an irritating, abysmally directed vehicle for Care do do his tiresome schtick that we're probably all sick of.
3/10

Post #: 58
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 12/3/2012 6:59:39 PM   
Groovy Mule

The Raven 2/10

Worst film of the year so far ... Alice Eve is atrocious as Poe's love interest not helped by the script. Cusack is weighed by playing a thoroughly unlikeable character and there is a generally clunky feel resulting, I think, from the fact that Cusack's supporting cast are all Brits playing Americans. Some of the set pieces are suitably gruesome but fail to sufficiently enliven a leaden film.

Bel Ami 6/10

Plays out like Pattinson's previous attempt to break out from Twilight, Water for Elephants, crossed with Dangerous Liaisons. As a general rule the women are great, especially Kristen Scott Thomas but Pattinson struggles to show any discernable character progression throughout the film other than through the clothes he wears. A better actor could have done a lot with this.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
7/10

It's a little bit Holiday On The Buses and once you get the rather obvious message of challenging oneself and living your own life rather than the life others want you to lead, there is little in the film to challenge you - all of the story arcs are familiar well-trodden staples and the certain members of the cast are playing versions of themselves or other characters they have played before (step forward Bill Nighy in particular). That being said, it is quite comforting to see an ensemble of familiar faces doing all of the things one expects of them. Tom Wilkinson is the heart and soul of the film and the film is at its best when he is on screen.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 59
RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 - 13/3/2012 11:32:30 AM   
ElephantBoy

Sad to see that review of The Raven GM as I had it down as one of mine to see, anything with Cusack in normally draws me in.

It is looking more and more like I should give TBEMH a go.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 10 Films of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI