Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 1/1/2012 4:57:57 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Summer Olympics in London. Euro Championships. Ryder Cup. This could be a great year for sport. So shamelessly stealing from other threads, what are the top 100 events you've watched over the year, either live or on TV.

1. Man City vs Man Utd (FA Cup, TV) 5/5
    Cracking cup game that had it all.
  2. UFC 141 (TV) 4/5
    Its from the end of '11, but I only got round to watching it. Had a bit for everyone. Some good take down action. A couple of stone cold knock outs. And Lesnar being put out to retirement. Sad way to go for the big fella really, I always thought he had a spot in the sport.
  3. SF 49ers vs New Orleans Saints (TV) 4/5
    Quality game that had everything, including an unexpected win for the 49ers
  4. Man City vs Spurs (Premiership TV) 4/5
  5. UFC 144
  6. Swansea vs Arsenal (Premiership TV) 4/5
    Great game from two teams trying to play football. Not perfect, with a number of mistakes on each side, but 3-2 well earned by Swansea and no shame in that result for Arsenal who pushed hard.
  7. UFC 142 (TV) 4/5
    Amazing spinning wheel kick ends the first bout and the action doesn't lighten up after that. A great night for the Brazillians in Rio and a top event from UFC.
  8. Arsenal vs Man Utd (Premiership, TV) 3/5
    Utd wanted it more and a couple of shocking performances from the Arsenal players
  9. Ireland vs Wales (6 Nations, TV) 3/5
    Plenty of mistakes from both sides, Wales should have won this by a distance, but needed a late silly foul by Ireland, who never look the same team without BOD.
  10. Tottenham vs Newcastle (Premiership, TV) 3/5
    Devastating display of passing from Spurs. Two goals in the first 5 minutes and four in the first half meant it was never going to be a game.
  11. Wigan vs Man City (Premiership, TV) 3/5
    Top versus bottom, but it hardly showed. A lot of spirit from Wigan and City win with a goal from a set piece.
  12. Fulham vs Arsenal (Premiership, TV) 3/5
    Arsenal had numerous chances to put this away, but lacked the final punch. Fulham became stronger in the second half and snatched a last-gasp winner. Ruiz could be interesting if he continues to adopt to the Premiership.
  13. UFC 143 (TV)
    No explosive knock-outs, but a solid card of good action.
  14. Arsenal vs Blackburn (Premiership, TV) 3/5
    7-1 thrashing for 10 man Blackburn with a RvP hat-trick and first EPL goal for Oxdale. Routine stuff otherwise for Arsenal.
  15. Arsenal vs AC Milan (Champions League, TV) 3/5
  16. Zambia vs Ivory Coast (African Cup of Nations Final, TV) 3/5
    Not the best of games, but a tense penalty shoot-out resulted in a pleasing win for Zambia
  17. Real Madrid vs Granada (la Liga, TV) 3/5
    The gulf in class in Spain is silly and 7-1 showed that, still Real are a class act and I can see them taking both domestic and European titles this season
  18. France vs Ireland (6 Nations, TV) 3/5
  19. Man Utd vs Tottenham (Premiership, TV) 3/5
  20. Man Utd vs Liverpool (Premiership, TV) 2/5
    Average game overshadowed by handshakes and off-the-ball incidents
  21. Liverpool vs Man Utd (FA Cup, TV) 2/5
  22. Chelsea vs Sunderland (Premiership, TV) 2/5
    Overall a poor game that Chelsea shaved with a nice bit of gymnastics from Torres
  23. AC Milan vs Inter Milan (Serie A) 2/5
    Poor stuff given the potential quality on show, AC in particular didn't turn up for this one.
  24. Ireland vs Scotland (6 Nations, TV) 2/5
    Comfortable win for Ireland against an unimpressive Scotland
  25. Arsenal vs Leeds (FA Cup, TV) 2/5
    Poor game, but worth watching for Henry's return and goal.
  26. Sunderland vs Man City (Premiership, TV) 2/5
    Standard fayre, with a cheeky last minute win for MONs boys, keeps the Premiership open. City making lots of chances, but failing to score.
  27. Boxing Klitschko vs Mormeck 1/5
    Mismatch. Mormeck didn't want to be there, but clinical enough from Klitschko. Nothing in it for the viewer though.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 10/3/2012 7:33:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 1/1/2012 5:12:06 PM   
ChickMagnet

I'm so reserving this spot.

Plus same as the Prof. I give you my first entry:

1. Seeing Emilio Izaguerre returning from injury in the away game to Dunfermline on 02/01/12
2. Citeh 2 United 3 - Seeing the United fans do the 'Poznan' (Note to Man City fans - its called the Huddle and Celtic have done it for years) at the Emptyhad was a picture of beauty
3. Citeh losing 1-0 with the last kick of the game against Sunderland - after yesterdays loss to Blackburn I feared the worst, then when Chelsea lost and Spurs drew, I feared even more as I could see City opening up a gap at the top. However Ji Gong Won's goal tied with Martin Tylers commentary = perfect start to 2012.

< Message edited by ChickMagnet -- 14/1/2012 3:38:00 PM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 2
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 1/1/2012 6:04:30 PM   
Piles

I'll give it a go . Not sure how I'd rank football matches against cricket test matches, though.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 3
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 1/1/2012 11:50:00 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I'm a list whore and I'm sure I'll rack up a lot of watches so I'll reserve this place.

Australian Open Tennis Final: Novak Djokovic def. Rafael Nadal 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
Australian Open Tennis SF: Novak Djokovic def. Andy Murray
Australian Open Tennis SF: Rafael Nadal def. Roger Federer 6-7, 6-2, 7-6, 6-4
Manchester United def. Manchester City 3-2, FA Cup
Gael Monfils def. Rafael Nadal 6-3, 6-4 ATP Doha
Jo Wilfried Tsonga def. Gael Monfils 6-4, 6-4 ATP Doha
Rafael Nadal def. Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 6-7, 6-3, ATP Doha
Kim Clijsters def. Ana Ivanovic 6-1, 2-6, 6-3, ATP Brisbane
Andy Murray def. Mikhail Kukushkin, 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 ATP Brisbane
Roger Federer def. Nikolay Davydenko 6-2, 6-2, ATP Doha
Alex Bogomolov Jr. def Felipo Volandri 5-7, 64, 6-2, ATP Doha
Victor Troicki def. Lukas Rosol 6-4, 7-6, ATP Doha
Marcos Bagdhatis def. Ryan Harrison 7-6, 6-4, ATP Brisbane

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 13/2/2012 8:19:12 PM >

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 4
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 14/1/2012 2:46:31 PM   
FilthWizard

I'll have a go...

NFL Wildcard -- Pittsburgh 23 - 29 Denver (8th January)
First non-sudden death OT game. Steelers came back from being 6-20 down at half-time to tie at full-time, only to lose on the first play.

NFL Divisional -- New Orleans 32 - 36 San Francisco (14th January)
A game that started weighed on one side and then began to swing wildly. A fantastic finish; I never tire of watching the Saints lose.

FA Cup -- Manchester City 2 - 3 Manchester United (8th January)
One of the best games I've seen for a while, City showed that they have balls and brains to avoid a similar beating they gave United.

NFL Divisional -- New York Giants 37 - 20 Green Bay (15th January)
The enemy of my enemy is my friend? As much as I hated the Giants knocking Atlanta out in the previous week, it was nothing but joy to watch Green Bay drop the ball again, and again, and... Bye bye Packers.

NFL Week 17 -- Tampa Bay 24 - 45 Atlanta (1st January)
Atlanta all ready had a playoff place, but went all out anyway. Scored 42 points in one half, could've easily given the record for most game points for a team (72) a run for its money.

FA Cup -- Arsenal 1 - 0 Leeds United (9th January)
A nothing game, until Henry returned and scored with his fifth touch of the ball. Might have lost some speed, but hopefully a little magic will be around for the next six weeks.

< Message edited by FilthWizard -- 16/1/2012 3:20:01 PM >

It's April. What do you expect?

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 5
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 13/2/2012 10:36:43 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I couldn't work out where else to put this. I watched my first full game of the African Cup of Nations, the final, last night.

A better game than the 0-0 after full time and extra time would indicate. Quite cagey, but then it was the final and both teams had progressed more on keeping goals out than scoring them openly.

Shocking, shocking miss from Drogba from the spot, and another Cup of Nations escapes the Ivory Coast that on paper they should have tied up easily. However, I'd guess a lot of neutrals were backing the Zambians, both for the tragic history of the team from '93 and their preparation for this tournament, and they had chances in normal and extra time . Arsenal fans would have been less surprised that Gervinho missed a penalty in a very tense shoot-out.

Post #: 6
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 13/2/2012 11:11:46 AM   
impqueen

I will try this but I feel I won't succeed.

January
- Australian Open – I thought it was a fantastic Tournament both for the Men and Women and I really enjoyed the Semi Finals and the Finals. (TV- Eurosport / BBC)

February
- Saturday 4th France vs. Italy RBS Six Nations 30 -12 (BBC) Decent enough game Italy are enjoyable to watch France can be and were today.
- Scotland vs. England RBS Six Nations 6-13 (BBC) Scotland unlucky not to get something from the game. England poached well but are boring to watch at the moment.
- Sunday 5th Ireland vs. Wales RBS Six Nations 21-23 (BBC) A good game to watch thanks to mistakes and some wonderful play.
- Saturday 11th Italy vs. England RBS Six Nations 15-19 (BBC) Italy like Scotland deserved more from the game and it wasn't a pretty sight.
- Sunday 12th Wales vs. Scotland RBS Six Nations 27-13 (S4C) I thought it was a brilliant game and Scotland were much improved; Wales have a sloppy lineout.
- Wednesday 15th England vs. Pakistan ODI England Win by 20 Runs (SkySports/TMS) A good advocate for ODI yet strangely familiar - Cook, Bopara and Finn.
- AC Milan vs. Arsenal Champions League 4-0 (ITV) I'll no doubt be laughing on the other side of my face next week but hey ho.
- Thursday 16th FC Porto vs. Manchester City Europa League 1-2 (ITV) Meh.
- Saturday 18th Chelsea vs. Birmingham FA Cup 1-1 (ESPN with TMS) Meh.
- Tuesday 21st England vs. Pakistan ODI England Win by 4 Wickets (SkySports/TMS) Good game, KP is annoying.
- Napoli vs. Chelsea 3-1 (Sky Sports) Awful tactics, awful defence awful, awful and all that. See Above. Still better than 4-0.
- Saturday 25th Ireland vs. Italy RBS Six Nations 42-10 (BBC) Hmm Italy are passionate but lack discipline and fall short in the 2nd half. Again.
- England vs. Wales RBS Six Nations 12-19 (BBC) A great game with moments of brilliance, madness and mistakes. England better than they have been Wales poorer.

March
- Saturday 10th Wales vs. Italy RBS Six Nations 24-03 (BBC) Result.
- Wednesday 14th Chelsea vs. Napoli 4-1 (ITV) Yay!
- Saturday 17th Wales vs. France RBS Six Nations 16-09 (BBC) GRAND SLAM BABY!
- England vs. Ireland RBS Six Nations 30-09 (BBC) Ireland were awful, well done England.
- Sunday 18th Australian Grand Prix F1 2012 - Button, Vettel, Hamiliton - Okay race, great result.
- Chelsea vs. Leicester City FA Cup 5-2 (ESPN) Torres for the Golden Boot!
- Wednesday 21st Manchester City vs. Chelsea 2-1 (Sky) – The beginning of the end for the League but I don't think we deserved to lose.
- Tuesday 27th March Benfica vs. Chelsea 0-1 (SKY/ITV?) – Difficult game good result.

April
- Wednesday 4th Chelsea vs. Benfica 2-1 (3-1 agg) (SKY/ITV?) – Bring on Barca!
- Sunday 15th Tottenham vs. Chelsea FA Cup 1-5 –
- Wednesday 18th Chelsea vs. Barcelona Champion's League SF (ITV) 1-0 – Holy shit, wet night in London.
- Tuesday 25th Barcelona vs. Chelsea Champion's League SF (SKY) 2-2 – ORGASM
- Sunday 29th Chelsea vs. QPR 6-1 – Nice game, good result.

May
- Wednesday 2nd Chelsea vs. Newcastle (Sky) 0-2 – Eh.
- Saturday 5th Chelsea vs. Liverpool FA Cup Final (ITV) 2-1 – Shiny
- Sunday 13th Spanish Grand Prix F1 2012 (SkyF1) – Maldonado, Alonso, Raikkonen – Enjoyable race.
- Thursday 17th – Monday 21st England vs. West Indies Lords Test England Win by 5 Wickets (SkySports/TMS) – Good game a lot better than it might have been.
- Saturday 19th Bayern Munich vs. Chelsea Champion's League Final (ITV) 1-1 (3-4) – Get the fuck in, don't care how but we won. CHAMPION'S LEAGUE BABY!
- Friday 25th - Monday 28th England vs. West Indies Trent Bridge Test England Win by 9 Wickets (SkySports/C5/TMS) - Looks comfortable sort of was but the Windies got themselves out and in trouble numerous times.
- Saturday 26th Norway vs. England 0-1 International Friendly (ITV) - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
- Sunday 27th Roland Garros (RND 01) Baltacha vs. Stosur 4-6 0-6 - Lovely first set, abysmal second and this game sums up what I think about Women's Tennis.
- (RND 01) del Potro vs. Montanes 6-2 6-7 6-1 6-1 - I really like del Potro and I'm glad he's gone through but I do worry about his health.
- Monaco Grand Prix F1 2012 Webber, Rosberg, Alonso – Always a pretty entertaining race and we have another winner. Six different winners for the first six races! (Recorded BBC)
- (RND 01) Tsonga vs. Kuznetsov 1-6 6-3 6-2 6-4 - I could watch Tsonga all day and I really hope he goes a long way in this tournament. Not too sure what happened in that first set mind.
- Mexico vs. Wales International Friendly 2-0 (S4C) – I honestly don't know how to feel about an unimportant game like this. There's still a sense of loss which I think will be difficult to get over, especially given how much improved we were before.
- Monday 28th
- (RND 01) Robson vs. Garrigues 1-6 2-6 - Robson has talent but she's yet to really develop at a level higher than her Juniors brilliance. 
- (RND 01) Azarenka vs. Brianti 6-7 6-4 6-2 - So many errors so much fun.
- Tuesday 29th
- (RND 01) Vesnina vs. Watson 2-6 4-6 – Get in Heather! A thoroughly deserved victory for the young Brit.
- (RND 01) SWilliams vs. Razzano 4-6 7-6 6-3 - BOOM! There goes Williams first time in her life she's fallen at the first round.
- (RND 01) Murray vs. Ito 6-1 7-5 6-0 - Easy.
- Thursday 31st (RND 02) Watson vs. Goerges 3-6 4-6 - It was nice for a while.
- (RND 02) Goffin vs. Clement 6-1 3-6 7-6 0-6 6-2 - Goffin looks like a prospedct despite that 4th Set.

June
- Friday 1st (RND 03) Goffin vs. Kubot 7-6 7-5 6-1 - He look's awfully good.
- Saturday 2nd England vs. Belgium International Friendly 1-0 (ITV) Meh.
- Sunday 3rd (RND 04) Djokovic vs. Seppi 6-3 4-6 6-7 6-3 7-5 - Who knew Seppi had those kind of shots!? Novak comes through but only just.
- (RND 04) Federer vs. Giffin 5-7 7-5 6-2 6-4 - Playing your idol as a qualifier? I really hope to see more of Goffin in the future.
- Sunday/Monday 4th (RND 04) Wawrinka vs. Tsonga 4-6 6-7 3-6 3-6 6-4 - I can't warm to Wawrinka as good as he can be but really chuffed to see Tsonga into the QF.
- (RND 04) Murray vs. Gasquet 1-6 6-4 6-1 6-2 - Don't boo Murray he loves it, though you should be more vocal when your guy is getting his ass handed to him, silly French people.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 5/6/2012 4:46:42 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 13/2/2012 8:21:04 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I will try this but I feel I won’t succeed.

January
- Australian Open – I thought it was a fantastic Tournament both for the Men and Women and I really enjoyed the Semi Finals and the Finals. (TV- Eurosport / BBC)

Truly it was impqueen. One of the best Grand Slams in recent history without a shadow of a doubt, and the final was an astounding display.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 8
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 13/2/2012 9:06:24 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I will try this but I feel I won’t succeed.

January

Truly it was impqueen. One of the best Grand Slams in recent history without a shadow of a doubt, and the final was an astounding display.

Yeah the Oz Open has had the best sporting moments so far this year for me.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 9
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 13/2/2012 9:48:42 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

2. Citeh 2 United 3 - Seeing the United fans do the 'Poznan' (Note to Man City fans - its called the Huddle and Celtic have done it for years) at the Emptyhad was a picture of beauty

Actually City stole it from Lech Poznań who were doing it before Celtic did...

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 10
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 1/3/2012 11:27:30 AM   
impqueen

February

Six Nations is always a Tournament I enjoy and personally it’s lovely seeing Wales win though I still think France will beat us.

The Cricket was decent.

The football was a bit shit.

Yes, always.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 11
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 1/3/2012 12:01:19 PM   
horribleives

Newcastle 3-0 Man Utd.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 12
RE: Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 - 27/5/2012 11:21:48 AM   
impqueen

bump

March
Woot Wales!
Chelsea and the Champion’s League Odyssey.
F1 is back and the BBC are idiots.

April
All a bit quiet and dominated by fuseball, luckily my team were doing well in Europe.

May
The sun is out and it’s a bitch.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 27/5/2012 11:26:21 AM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Top 100 Sporting Events You've Watched This Year: 2012 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI