Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Blade Runner 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blade Runner 2 - 28/12/2011 4:32:02 PM   
dreddhead123

Producer Andrew Kosove

quote:

On When We Can Expect An Official Announcement For The Film...

Sometime in the first two months of the new year we'll announce who the screenwriter will be and whether or not it's a prequel or sequel. And then we'll be off to the races.

On Ridley Scott's Interest In The Project And Where It's At In Development...

Here's the thing about Ridley. Ridley is a special guy. He's a force of nature. He's got a lot of stuff that he's working on. I believe it's an extremely high priority for Ridley, that's what he's said to me. This project is moving forward aggressively in development.

No word if Harrison Ford will return. If Blade Runner 2 is a prequel it's impossible for Ford to return due to his age. A sequel with an older Deckard could be interesting but on the other hand perhaps it's best to leave that character in the past and come up with a new Blade Runner operative.

I wonder if Ridley Scott is keenly aware of his mortality (he is 74) hence his desire to revisit his past work? Hmm... perhaps.

Post #: 1
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 29/12/2011 11:55:25 AM   
Marwood

I think there's another thread for this somewhere but what the hell, I'll comment here too.

IMO the Deckard storyline shouldn't be revisited and instead I'd hope the new film is a loose sequel that concentrates on new characters and ideas in that same universe but does have some connective tissue; essentially the same approach that apparently Prometheus has with the Alien series. I'd even like this to have a different title altogether rather than capitalise on the Blade Runner name.

I think there is room for reference to the first film though; one idea that I think was used in the sequel novels was that following Tyrell's death his niece takes over the company and seeing as she was the model for Rachel then a nice nod in the new film would be a Sean Young cameo as Sarah (?) Tyrell.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to dreddhead123)
Post #: 2
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 29/12/2011 1:41:52 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

I think there's another thread for this somewhere but what the hell, I'll comment here too.

IMO the Deckard storyline shouldn't be revisited and instead I'd hope the new film is a loose sequel that concentrates on new characters and ideas in that same universe but does have some connective tissue; essentially the same approach that apparently Prometheus has with the Alien series. I'd even like this to have a different title altogether rather than capitalise on the Blade Runner name.

I think there is room for reference to the first film though; one idea that I think was used in the sequel novels was that following Tyrell's death his niece takes over the company and seeing as she was the model for Rachel then a nice nod in the new film would be a Sean Young cameo as Sarah (?) Tyrell.

Yeah, Blade Runner 2 sounds a bit naff...

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 3
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 29/12/2011 5:24:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Blade Runner is my favourite film of all time, and so the news that there will be another BR film was met with a sense of foreboding by me. Why? Because the thought of seeing my favourite film being tainted by a poor prequel or sequel does not make me happy at all. I'm just geetting over the fact that Lucas fucked my whole world up by releasing those godawful prequels, well Phantom and Clones at least.

I suppose you can say we're in safe hands, because Ridley Scott is going to direct. As much as i hold him in high esteem, the Ridley of today is a whole different person from the Ridley of yesteryear. When he made Alien and Blade Runner, he was still fresh, he had this hunger inside him. He was a perfectionist, he had balls and didnt give a damn what those higher up thought. Now because he is so widely respected, i doubt he'll have that same sense of urgency directing the new BR as he did, the old.

Then again, i could be proved wrong. I think Promethus, and the success or non-success of it would be a big indicator as to where the new BR would be heading.

But deep down i hold this hope that Ridley gives us a film to blow our minds away! And eyes!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 4
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 30/12/2011 12:58:49 AM   
funkyfenbah

Just seen the promo for Prometheus; looking tasty.... and just read that Scott Z. Burns (Bourne series) will be doing the screenplay... jesus, it's gotta be awesome...

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 5
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 30/12/2011 5:29:21 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Not sure if I'm 100% "hyped" about the idea of a Blade Runner 2. The original said it all IMO.

Art

(in reply to funkyfenbah)
Post #: 6
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 30/12/2011 5:31:11 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Blade Runner is my favourite film of all time, and so the news that there will be another BR film was met with a sense of foreboding by me. Why? Because the thought of seeing my favourite film being tainted by a poor prequel or sequel does not make me happy at all. I'm just geetting over the fact that Lucas fucked my whole world up by releasing those godawful prequels, well Phantom and Clones at least.

I suppose you can say we're in safe hands, because Ridley Scott is going to direct. As much as i hold him in high esteem, the Ridley of today is a whole different person from the Ridley of yesteryear. When he made Alien and Blade Runner, he was still fresh, he had this hunger inside him. He was a perfectionist, he had balls and didnt give a damn what those higher up thought. Now because he is so widely respected, i doubt he'll have that same sense of urgency directing the new BR as he did, the old.

Then again, i could be proved wrong. I think Promethus, and the success or non-success of it would be a big indicator as to where the new BR would be heading.

But deep down i hold this hope that Ridley gives us a film to blow our minds away! And eyes!

*Nodding and concurring*

Art

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 7
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 30/12/2011 10:30:38 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

*Nodding and concurring*

Likewise; I'm not exagerrating (sp?) when I say it's my favourite film so the idea of a sequel or prequel always kind of filled me with dread until Ridley Scott signed up.

He shaped that world so the idea of revisiting it with him as a guide but seeing it expanded (perhaps) is exciting; I don't think I'd really be much interested in Prometheus if it wasn't Scott at the helm (well, unless it was another visionary director but that's by the by) and it's the same case with a Blade Runner sequel/prequel/sidequel/loosely associated new film.

Yes his tastes as a director have changed over the last 30 years but that doesn't have to be a bad thing at all; his hallmarks ("the best eye in cinema") are all still present and correct and you could argue that his films have become more philosophical. Considering Blade Runner has a heavy philosophical streak (the nature of being human, societal shifts with technological advancements) I think he'd have no problem at all getting back into a similar mindset to when he made the first film.

He's still got the rep for perfectionism and being a bulldog but now he's a lot more respected as a filmmaker you'd hope he won't have the same battles with the studio or production crews and the final product will be more in line with his vision. True those conflicts probably helped shape Blade Runner in ways we can only speculate on but if a new film is less compromised then it could really be special....providing Sir Rid doesn't lose his mind by letting complete creative freedom go to his head. I don't think that would happen though, regardless of how much they support him a Hollywood studio will never just give him a blank cheque and say "do what you want".

Either way I've been a lot more optimistic about the project since he came on board and hope he can deliver something special.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 8
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 30/12/2011 3:48:45 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Heres hoping!

BTW, i agree with your post a 101% !

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 9
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 30/12/2011 4:24:42 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

Yeah, Blade Runner 2 sounds a bit naff...

Years ago I read about Ridley Scott developing called Metropolis (nothing to do with Fritz Lang or Superman btw) set in a "similar" universe to Blade Runner. Certainly sounded quite interesting and I wouldn't be too surprised if a sequel title to Blade Runner was something simple but evocative like that or Prometheus - something that sets an overtone, summary or expectation of the film in general.

On the other hand Blade Runner II: Chu's Revenge has a nice ring to it as well

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 10
Blade Runner 2 - 4/2/2012 10:29:49 PM   
Snake-Eyes

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/02/breaking-harrison-ford-in-early-talks-for-ridley-scotts-new-blade-runner.php

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 11
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 5/2/2012 2:16:39 AM   
dreddhead123

I think this new film is dooomed to fail. Ridley Scott still maintains Deckard was a replicant when everyone else knows he was actually Harrison Ford.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 12
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 5/2/2012 2:52:36 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: dreddhead123

I think this new film is dooomed to fail. Ridley Scott still maintains Deckard was a replicant when everyone else knows he was actually Harrison Ford.

Still a bit early for any speculation. The film hasn't even entered any real stages of pre-production yet. BTW, dreddhead123 - I'm just curious - do uou ONLY like to discuss 'Future Films'...?

Post #: 13
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 5/2/2012 3:00:30 PM   
dreddhead123

quote:

My last post was a joke.

"I think this new film is doomed to fail. Ridley Scott still maintains Deckard was a replicant when everyone else knows he was actually Harrison Ford."

It was a joke because I was suggesting RIdley Scott really thought Deckard was a replicant when we all know Deckard was actually an actor, Harrison Ford.

Not sure the joke worked. Never mind!

I have posted on other sections of the forum.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 14
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 5/2/2012 3:06:20 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

quote:

My last post was a joke.

"I think this new film is doomed to fail. Ridley Scott still maintains Deckard was a replicant when everyone else knows he was actually Harrison Ford."

It was a joke because I was suggesting RIdley Scott really thought Deckard was a replicant when we all know Deckard was actually an actor, Harrison Ford.

Not sure the joke worked. Never mind!

I have posted on other sections of the forum.

Yeah, I got the joke

Post #: 15
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 5/2/2012 3:39:40 PM   
dreddhead123

The great mystery about Blade Runner is whether or not Deckard is a replicant. Ridley Scott claims he is, other people claim he isn't. According to Blade Runner co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher:

quote:

Is Deckard a replicant?

No.

http://www.ctv.es/USERS/canetor/hampton.htm

I think that is absolute proof Deckard is human and not a replicant. I would take the opinion of the screenwriter over the opinion of the director. From what I understand, Scott added bits here and there to suggest Deckard was a replicant - the unicorn dream, Deckard's eyes change colour when he gets close to Rachel - but the screenwriter is the definitive authority on what the story is about. If the writer says "no, he's human" then we have to accept he's human. Hopefully Blade Runner 2 won't mess with that.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 16
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 5/2/2012 3:46:07 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Not sure if Im looking forward to this or not.

Post #: 17
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 5/2/2012 10:58:19 PM   
Marwood

quote:

The great mystery about Blade Runner is whether or not Deckard is a replicant. Ridley Scott claims he is, other people claim he isn't. According to Blade Runner co-screenwriter Hampton Fancher:

quote:

Is Deckard a replicant?

No.

http://www.ctv.es/USERS/canetor/hampton.htm

I think that is absolute proof Deckard is human and not a replicant. I would take the opinion of the screenwriter over the opinion of the director. From what I understand, Scott added bits here and there to suggest Deckard was a replicant - the unicorn dream, Deckard's eyes change colour when he gets close to Rachel - but the screenwriter is the definitive authority on what the story is about. If the writer says "no, he's human" then we have to accept he's human. Hopefully Blade Runner 2 won't mess with that.

Um no, the screenwriter is the authority on his/her last authored draft of the script only. Whatever changes are made following that and during production is really down to the director, producers and execs to various degrees as they control the film itself so whatever they end up releasing is the final word - Scott has tinkered with Bladerunner since the theatrical release admittedly but partially that's down to the political struggle he had with the studio and not being satisfied with the changes he was basically forced to make.

If the writer says "no he's human" based on how he wrote it that doesn't mean it's what you actually have on screen. Despite Scott's assertations that Deckard is a replicant I think the various released versions still maintain an ambiguity about it and that's one of the enduringly great aspects of the film really - that you can decide for yourself. However if one was to trust one person's opinion on it then Fancher is actually less of an authority than Scott in this case because his work was done well before the cameras started rolling and from there the film was shaped by Scott and the studio. Besides Fancher was not the last writer on this film, the final shooting draft is attributed to him and David Webb Peoples who came in for rewrites under Scott and the producers after Fancher had submitted his last draft. There's a great book called Future Noir which chronicles the making of the film in a lot of detail and documents the ways the film's story and characters changed constantly through the writing process and into production itself. I haven't read the book for a while but I believe there may also have been further uncredited writers involved post Fancher.

Fancher's last draft and story intentions may go with "Deckard is human" but the final film isn't his so he's expressing an opinion based on his actual direct work only. I mean no disrepect to him of course, just throwing my two cents in on how the system of production actually works.

Post #: 18
RE: Blade Runner 2 - 6/2/2012 7:50:54 PM   
elab49

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3171449&mpage=2&key=blade%2Crunner

As noted above, there is an existing thread.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> Blade Runner 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI