Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Touch - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Touch - US Speed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Touch - US Speed - 23/12/2011 10:35:53 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Touch, a new FOX drama series starring Kiefer Sutherland ("24"), Danny Glover, and Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Coming Spring 2012 from the creator of Heroes.

Trailer

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 24/3/2012 8:34:42 PM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Touch - 23/12/2011 11:30:11 AM   
discodave101

Hmmmm......looks s'alright. The cast and creators interest me more than the USP. They'll all be expensive, so the studio must have faith in it.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: Touch - 23/12/2011 12:13:59 PM   
Captain Black

I can almost guarantee this will be terrible. And I'll still watch every episode in anticipation of The Kief running around with a gun (even though his character's a writer in this) shouting about running out of time.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 3
RE: Touch - 25/1/2012 7:27:13 PM   
Captain Black

Previews tonight Stateside; reviews are reasonably strong, though the main complaint is that it's pretty heavy-handed. Reading between the lines a bit, I think a few of reviewers may have liked it more if it was from an unknown writer, but Tim Kring and memories of Heroes mean they're resisting recommending it too much. Full series starts up in March.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 4
RE: Touch - 25/1/2012 7:38:00 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Funnily enough as I was a watching the trailer I was think...."A bit of Early Edition, a bit of Heroes" and then it confirmed it !

I predict the Pilot will be good, with some decent performances and a bit of potential. Only for it to run out of steam totally by episode 6

Still might give it a go...

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

Post #: 5
RE: Touch - 26/1/2012 9:41:39 PM   
Captain Black

I liked it quite a bit. I wouldn't necessarily say it's good, mind, but it's got some very good elements. First of all, it's fairly refreshing to see a network show where the structure isn't too predictable, although it's likely that it'll be a bit more episodic rather than the serialised format I was execting. Probably a good thing given Kring's involvement.

And the bits at the end where (I'll spoiler this) Martin (I just want to call him Kiefer) listens to the answer phone message whilst watching the news report and the British guy watches the photos of his daughter on the big screen were both really emotionally effective; manipulative, yes, but I thought they really worked and that overpowered the slightly dodgy plotting. It probably helped that they had a fairly good supporting cast, particular Titus Welliver, and Danny Glover (I suspect he may be recurring) and Sutherland still has a few Jack Bauer tics (his nervy head bob and at least one "Dammit!") but he also gets to do some proper emoting and does that well.

Shot with a fair amount of flair too, without being too showy.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 6
RE: Touch - US Speed - 24/3/2012 8:44:11 PM   
Captain Black

If you're going to enjoy this show long term, there is an awful lot of numbers-related mumbo jumbo to wade through, in addition to your tolerance for co-incidental plotting (which is half the point). But on the upside, this second episode does demonstrate that this is a show which has fairly wide variety of storylines to offer and, with good (i.e. much improved over this episode) plotting could become fairly decent. Kiefer's working really hard (particularly in the emotional scenes) and is quite affecting, but is still carrying a fair bit of Jack Bauer baggage (this second episode has a scene with a guy holding a gun, and it's impossibly to not expect him to go into full on Bauer-mode at that time). Ultimately if it is simply a procedural with co-incidental events and generally good hearted storyline resolutions, I'd rather watch that than many of the other crime-based procedurals on TV.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Touch - US Speed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI