Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Empire's Top 20 Films Of 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Top 20 Films Of 2011 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Empire's Top 20 Films Of 2011 - 21/12/2011 10:23:33 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Warrior?! - 21/12/2011 10:50:21 AM   
tommypocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: kojaksmoneybox

Odd also that The Tree of Life is so low after your reviewer said that there was literally no other movie like it. Whilst not to everyone's taste, surely it should be higher for being so daringly brilliant?

I'm surprised it's so low too (lower than The Inbetweeners Movie? Come on) but it is very polarising - for every reviewer that marvels at its ambition, scope and themes, there's another who finds it pretentious, over-long drivel (I'm in the former category).

Horses for courses innit.

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket
Post #: 2
RE: Warrior?! - 21/12/2011 1:33:38 PM   
elab49

quote:

Curious list here Empire....

Even though I agree with the top 2, how could there be no mention of Warrior in the top 20 movies of the year? It received a 5 star glowing review. Odd that Harry Potter is so high after a 4 star review. I have the feeling you will use the excuse that more people in your office saw it?! Maybe you should change the title to "The Top 20 Movies Watched by Most of the Staff At Empire"?

Odd also that The Tree of Life is so low after your reviewer said that there was literally no other movie like it. Whilst not to everyone's taste, surely it should be higher for being so daringly brilliant?

This reads like it was compiled by The Sun hacks.

I'd guess because reviews are individual opinions and, as this says on the first page, this is a combined effort based on bringing everyone's lists together. So some people might have liked Tree of Life - other's didn't. There was no concerted opinion - which is what this is.

So I can be pretty objective about that as only one of them has a chance of being in my own top 20 (although I've not seen The Artist or Senna yet).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 3
RE: Warrior?! - 21/12/2011 1:42:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Even though I agree with the top 2, how could there be no mention of Warrior in the top 20 movies of the year? It received a 5 star glowing review. Odd that Harry Potter is so high after a 4 star review. I have the feeling you will use the excuse that more people in your office saw it?! Maybe you should change the title to "The Top 20 Movies Watched by Most of the Staff At Empire"?

I'd guess because reviews are individual opinions and, as this says on the first page, this is a combined effort based on bringing everyone's lists together. So some people might have liked Tree of Life - other's didn't. There was no concerted opinion - which is what this is.

So I can be pretty objective about that as only one of them has a chance of being in my own top 20 (although I've not seen The Artist or Senna yet).

Did you like Drive, elab?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Warrior?! - 21/12/2011 4:17:22 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Did you like Drive, elab?

It was OK and I liked it. I find top spot for the year just a bit baffling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: JESUS F-ING CHRIST... - 21/12/2011 4:55:54 PM   
LeonardShelby

These Best Of lists sometimes feel a little out of date due to silly UK release dates. True Grit and Black Swan are great but c'mon, those movies are so last year. I wish Empire could have waiting a little longer in putting this out and made room for films like Hugo and perhaps The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Where will those films go now? They won't be eligible for next year's list.

< Message edited by LeonardShelby -- 21/12/2011 4:56:51 PM >

"In a perfect world, all movies would be made by the Coen brothers"
Post #: 6
RE: JESUS F-ING CHRIST... - 21/12/2011 5:22:50 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeonardShelby

These Best Of lists sometimes feel a little out of date due to silly UK release dates. True Grit and Black Swan are great but c'mon, those movies are so last year. I wish Empire could have waiting a little longer in putting this out and made room for films like Hugo and perhaps The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Where will those films go now? They won't be eligible for next year's list.

But this is a British magazine and those are British release dates. It might be quite difficult unless you set a sensible parameter - it seems a bit odd though, arguing for Dec/Nov while simultaneously claiming Jan/Feb don't count.

Haven't they said something before about the gap with the year-end releases though? It must be quite difficult for a collaborative list, where they all submit selections, for the year-end films anyway. Won't it just really be the actual reviewer that sees them before the release date? So most might not have seen, eg, the new Fincher yet.

quote:

(in reply to LeonardShelby)
Post #: 7
RE: Missed out on movies such as ..... - 21/12/2011 5:24:14 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: umer_ejaz

Four movies which EMPIRE for your facts were released in 2011 unlike Black Swan, Fighter, True Grit which were 2010 movies and have been given Oscars and nominated for every award

Again - British magazine, British release dates?

quote:

Post #: 8
RE: Re: One glaring omission - 22/12/2011 1:07:33 PM   
Wild about Wilder

You make me laugh with The Inbetweeners not that it's not good I bloody loved it BUT! the fact you slated it when you first reviewed it online!
Post #: 9
Senna was the best. - 23/12/2011 9:06:33 AM   
simjamlmx

drive, yeah right. Senna was the best film of this year by a mile. i had no interest in formula one and was proud of it before i saw this movie. i knew nothing about ayrton senna but that he was a racing car driver who crashed and was killed at a track called imola sometime in the early nineties, i had no idea he was this maverick genius, humanitarian who would risk his life for something he believed in, drive was garbage by the way. there's a film i wanna see to called "the first movie" by mark cousins looks brilliant. it's on dvd now i'm surprised empire left it out.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 10
RE: Missed out on movies such as ..... - 23/12/2011 4:42:58 PM   
umer_ejaz

quote:

quote:

Four movies which EMPIRE for your facts were released in 2011 unlike Black Swan, Fighter, True Grit which were 2010 movies and have been given Oscars and nominated for every award

I agree with that totally and of course it is a valid point, but the point which I was trying to make was Black Swan, Fighter and True Grit were movies which were released in 2010 and been awarded and nominated with Oscars, surely they could have been avoided in being picked.....considering they were other very well done movies such as Warrior

#9 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Senna was the best. - 23/12/2011 4:44:41 PM   
umer_ejaz

quote:

ORIGINAL: simjamlmx

drive, yeah right. Senna was the best film of this year by a mile. i had no interest in formula one and was proud of it before i saw this movie. i knew nothing about ayrton senna but that he was a racing car driver who crashed and was killed at a track called imola sometime in the early nineties, i had no idea he was this maverick genius, humanitarian who would risk his life for something he believed in, drive was garbage by the way. there's a film i wanna see to called "the first movie" by mark cousins looks brilliant. it's on dvd now i'm surprised empire left it out.

How would a movie such as Drive be classified as garbage?

#9 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to simjamlmx)
Post #: 12
RE: Missed out on movies such as ..... - 23/12/2011 5:19:05 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with that totally and of course it is a valid point, but the point which I was trying to make was Black Swan, Fighter and True Grit were movies which were released in 2010 and been awarded and nominated with Oscars, surely they could have been avoided in being picked.....considering they were other very well done movies such as Warrior

The Oscars were in February, and the releases in the UK were in 2011 - for a British based list for 2011, why wouldn't 'better' films from later in the year (which personally I wouldn't include Warrior in ) be assessed against those released at the start? Isn't that making a judgement call on which releases from Jan/Feb you include and which you don't purely based on what the often very dodgy Academy choices are? What about Bafta? The Japanese Academy? etc etc. Keeping it very simple with UK release dates seems to create a simple consistency, which they roll forward every year. I've got a pretty good example to as to why not doing that would be a problem - there's a film called Camino, released 2008, which one of our overseas posters thinks it quite wonderful - it won a ton of Goyas on release and awards all over the place. But it's never had a UK release. If it was released next year and everyone loved it - shouldn't it be eligible for the Empire 2012 list, even if the rest of the world have seen it and awarded it?

This is the year most of us would have seen those films - so for eg the annual poll  in Lists and Top 10s, the likes of Black Swan etc are turning up in every other list there as well.

quote:

(in reply to umer_ejaz)
Post #: 13
W A R R I O R - 25/12/2011 1:22:41 PM   
rtleeson

The film that pitched two protagonists heading off against each other in a penultimate moment. Re-inventing the round for round bouts once more like in many ways 8 Mile with Eminem did. The story of brotherhood in all its forms that reduced grown men to tears.

Empire staff I considered you all my brothers until now, so let's take this to the ring and have some fisty cuffs.

Post #: 14
Incendies - 26/12/2011 3:23:06 PM   
mattchorlton

Good to see it made the Top 20, but should've been way higher, at least on par with TTSS, better in my opinion. The whole film draws you in and won't let go before delivering a devastating punch in the stomach, I left the cinema completely drained, few films have had such an effect on me. This and Senna over Drive at the top for me.

Post #: 15
Kill List?? - 26/12/2011 7:46:29 PM   
Dirtyfunkymonkey

Wait have you guys not even seen Kill List or something?? Where is that? Easily the best British movie of the year... Also Warrior should be on that list. Awesome performances in that

Post #: 16
alternate universe - 27/12/2011 5:29:23 AM   
Antz83

Have I some how been whisked away in 'Slider' style to a distorted universe? how can Tree of Life be at 18 and Melancholia, Thor, Source Code and Hugo not even be on the list???

Post #: 17
A Tough One - 29/12/2011 5:51:54 PM   
TheMovieAddict101

Posting and writing articles like this, e.g "Best Movies..." is always going to attract attention. It's an opinion piece, people! Obviously it's going to be subjective, just because someone liked one film, doesn't mean everyone will. For example, all my friends think Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows is a good film, but personally I though Downey jr makes an awful Sherlock...

Post #: 18
Looking at the box office - 29/12/2011 8:44:03 PM   
GohandoMax

Looking at the box office results it seems very unfair that movies like "Bridesmaids" (In my eyes cheapos, in this context being a movie without an asthetic structure and/or a simple ploy) can make more than masterpieces such as "The Tree of Life". Definately going to get "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy", "Drive", "The King's Speech", "The Tree of Life", and even "Bridesmaids on BD though. Looking forward to seeing "Tintin" as well, yes it has been released here in Norway but it was dubbed to Norwegian (As they do not yet understand the difference between animation and performance capture) so I did not watch it. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Post #: 19
Warrior - 30/12/2011 1:36:06 AM   
JoKeRJaMeZ

One of the best sports films of recent years. Stunning performances, exciting... you gave it 5 stars... come on... easily top 10.

Post #: 20
WARRIOR - 30/12/2011 1:21:24 PM   
stevencarroll

Granted, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I feel Warrior was robbed of a spot in your Top 3. Albeit a slightly predictable story, the film gripped it's audience with powerhouse performances from all three actors. Tom Hardy and Joel Edgarton were faultless and Nick Nolte should simply be handed the oscar for his supporting role. My personal top 3 would be
1). Drive
2). Warrior
3). Senna

Post #: 21
The Tree of life - 31/12/2011 10:14:40 AM   
luke.R

The Tree of life at 18.....I thought empire was a magazine that knew about films.....it is easily the best movie of this year....anyone who loves cinema knows that the tree of life is the film of the year.

Post #: 22
RE: The Tree of life - 3/1/2012 10:06:25 AM   
anfiew

I love movies, like the love of my life.

We don't like your advert though 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 3/1/2012 10:07:05 AM >

(in reply to luke.R)
Post #: 23
Umm...exsqueeze me? - 3/1/2012 11:43:32 AM   
BethN21286

One question: Where the hell in WARRIOR?

Better than The Fighter by a country mile.

Post #: 24
Interesting comments - 3/1/2012 12:14:01 PM   
juangaz

Agree about Warrior should be in. Tree of life, hmmm I think your crack dealer has given you a bad batch....

Post #: 25
RE: Empire's Top 20 Films Of 2011 - 4/1/2012 9:40:16 AM   
presidentcletus

I wouldn't have included Black Swan or Bridesmaids. In my opinion they were ridiculously overhyped. Bridesmaids was droll, but very forgettable and I have a massive crush on Kristen Wiig. Black Swan was just plain and only go the attention it did because of the lesbian make-out, which was quite good to be fair.

No Source Code is a shame, I really liked it. I also loved Attack The Block because I like arsehole protagonists. Best film of the year, for me personally was Hanna, closely followed by The Tree Of Life (lower than The Inbetweeners? Really?), but these kind of lists are extremely subjective. Totally agree with Senna BTW, absolutely brilliant.

“The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened.”

Post #: 26
No credibility - 5/1/2012 2:57:59 AM   
jazzyjules63

As soon as I saw Fast Five at no 20 I stopped looking. You guys have no credibility.

Post #: 27
Warrior? - 5/1/2012 6:31:45 PM   
Heisenberg

i gotta ask, has someone from the Warrior movie pissed off you guys as well as Total Film? BEST OF lists you both have going are both minus this movie on multiple occasions, its fucking insane how you could both overlook it like this.

Post #: 28
Drive? - 5/1/2012 6:53:03 PM   
J_BUltimatum

OK. Drive was good but ridiculously over rated. It would be on my list but would barely scrape in the top 10. Where are films like Warrior and Thor? Plus the Artist has only just gone on general release so how the fudge has that got in... pretty sure it's 2012 now...

Post #: 29
X-Men?? - 6/1/2012 12:43:53 PM   
hammerofthor23

why isn't X-men or the Guard on this list? they were fantastic movies. X-men: First Class was completely under-rated especially as it revamped the series by actually making us think a bit and having a proper good cast . The Guard was also a brilliant low budget, original movie with a fantastic cast and something i'm surprised Empire didn't select in the list, especially after giving it such a good review some months ago.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Empire's Top 20 Films Of 2011 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI