Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Really?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Really? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 7:09:14 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

If this was a cash in, it would have been rushed out a year or two after ROTK with or without Jackson at the helm.

From my understanding the only reason it didn't happen was legal complications.

Look, I know billions of LOTR fans want to see these films, I'm just saying these films probably wont offer anything that changes ones interpretation of the three mega blockbusters that already exist.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 21/12/2011 7:13:41 PM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 31
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 7:11:02 PM   
matty_b

You know an awful lot about a series of films you profess to hate, don't you? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 32
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 7:17:26 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

You know an awful lot about a series of films you profess to hate, don't you? 

Yup, I'm fascinated by LOTR because I saw all three, wasn't impressed, yet they made billions.

Twilight and Harry Potter I can understand, this I don't.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 33
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 7:27:45 PM   
matty_b

I had this friend once who dated a hot girl, and then split up.

He kept insisting that he didn't care what she got up to afterwards, but was secretly consumed with jealousy and keep obsessively snooping on her Facebook and breaking into her emails

You remind me of him.

quote:

Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 34
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 7:30:32 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

Oh, the irony of a Star Wars fan accusing another director of cash ins...

That's exactly what I was thinking.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 35
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 7:38:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

To be fair I've not posted about LOTR in years, only posted now because I saw the trailer for the new film.

I'll stop posting from now on.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 36
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 8:16:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Come on, it's a cash in.

I know, that JRR Tolkien is such a sell-out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 37
RE: The Hobbit Trailer Is Here! - 21/12/2011 8:26:04 PM   
wesh

trailer looks pretty good. bilbo's safety is emphasized a couple of times which i found unnecessary because he's okay in the other movies.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 38
RE: Really? - 21/12/2011 10:17:53 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Come on, it's a cash in.

I know, that JRR Tolkien is such a sell-out.

He is, his books have sold-out across the world.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 39
RE: Really? - 22/12/2011 2:18:07 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

Come on, it's a cash in.

An after thought since LOTR was a big hit.

Yes it is an after though, adapting a classic book that was written 20 years before LOTR and one that Jackson planned to make before he filmed LOTR but couldn't get the rights. Yes, pure cash in.

quote:

Oh, the irony of a Star Wars fan accusing another director of cash ins...

If this was a cash in, it would have been rushed out a year or two after ROTK with or without Jackson at the h
elm.

This, so much this ^

Truth be told most LOTR haters are just angry Star Wars fanboys pissed off that we have a better, more powerful trilogy and that Jackson hasn't sold out and turned it into a toy franchise.

This is going to be fucking brilliant!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 40
RE: The Hobbit Trailer Is Here! - 22/12/2011 10:48:13 AM   
warren7355

quote:

ORIGINAL: wesh

trailer looks pretty good. bilbo's safety is emphasized a couple of times which i found unnecessary because he's okay in the other movies.

People keep saying that but he is far from 'ok' after the Hobbit. As seen in LOTR the ring twists Bilbo and corrupts him, obviously nowhere near as much as Gollum but he was most definitely on the same path. Just because somebody doesn't get killed does not mean that they are not 'undamaged'.

(in reply to wesh)
Post #: 41
RE: The Hobbit Trailer Is Here! - 22/12/2011 10:58:50 AM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: wesh

You know something that irks me slightly about the trilogy is that there is far too many times when you are lead to think that a main character has died or is away to die. I know Jackson is upping the ante but he does it a little too much, Gandalf in FOTR is important but Aragorn in TTT in particular just seems a little unnecessary, and Frodo seems to be constantly is he or isn't he dead or dying.

I hope he doesn't do the same with Bilbo because as you say we all know that he survives. What will be interesting is if they play the 'he's changed' card and start to show hints of Bilbo's darker side due to the ring.

(in reply to wesh)
Post #: 42
hmmmm - 22/12/2011 12:30:37 PM   
leroythemasochist

not for me.
only ever been able to stomach Freeman in Sherlock too.
And there's too many great big bushy beards.

don't hate me Tokien fans, I'm certain it will actually be very good and if I ever gave it half a chance I might enjoy it

Post #: 43
RE: Really? - 22/12/2011 4:31:01 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

If this was a cash in, it would have been rushed out a year or two after ROTK with or without Jackson at the helm.

Look, I know billions of LOTR fans want to see these films, I'm just saying these films probably wont offer anything that changes ones interpretation of the three mega blockbusters that already exist.

Well im hardly a fan of these films but its called the movie BUSINESS.Films are supposed to make money and The Hobbit is no more or less a cash in than the POTC or Transformers films.Studios know that these movies are critic proof and will make shedloads of money just by turning up.

Heck,Jackson could just have the hobbits fart for the whole films running time and it would still make a ton of money.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 44
RE: Really? - 22/12/2011 4:34:48 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well im hardly a fan of these films but its called the movie BUSINESS.Films are supposed to make money and The Hobbit is no more or less a cash in than the POTC or Transformers films.Studios know that these movies are critic proof and will make shedloads of money just by turning up.

Heck,Jackson could just have the hobbits fart for the whole films running time and it would still make a ton of money.

Its not like the Star Wars prequels were a cash in though, don't you think?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 45
RE: Really? - 22/12/2011 4:42:45 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its not like the Star Wars prequels were a cash in though, don't you think?

Yeah thats the point i was making.Its the movie business and films are more likely to get made if they are certain to make a profit.The SW prequels were a dead cert to be successful which is why Lucas(and cast and crew) could commit to the three films.So yeah,films like these,whether there Bond,Transformers,Star Trek,Pirates,LOTR are sound investments.If you want to be cynical,yeah you could call them cash ins.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 46
- 22/12/2011 8:43:15 PM   
conywolf

This looks like the Hobbit story, told using the same or similar methods to the Lord of the Rings, which isn't a bad thing... The trailers what you'd expect, but I'm just looking forward to seeing the legend that is Sir Ian Mckellan playing Gandalf again..

Post #: 47
- 22/12/2011 11:43:34 PM   
Whistler

The Hobbit's my favourite book, so the expectation levels are insanely high on this one. I love LOTR, I like this trailer, and I have all faith in Jackson. Can't wait.

Post #: 48
Eh? - 13/5/2012 8:53:41 AM   
BatmansStuntDouble

Post #: 49
What? - 13/5/2012 9:00:11 AM   
BatmansStuntDouble

Firstly this film WILL be brilliant, even with Jackson's tendency to adapt certain pieces from the novels and slot them into the story elsewhere, you can tell that he knows what he's doing and how much he cares for the works of Professor Tolkien. Which brings me onto my second point, the guy (or girl) above who said that Tolkien was a sell-out is a complete moron; 1) During the height of their fame The Beatles (who were practically gods) asked if they could make a film of TLOTR - Tolkien turned them down and 2) He's been dead for nearly 40 years - pretty hard to sell-out when you've long since departed the global Fellowship, wouldn't you say?

Post #: 50
- 8/11/2012 2:47:25 PM   
kanebillybob7

Looks Great!
I love the fact it visually resembles the scenes in LOTR,
Also, i like how it seems more light-hearted and humorous than LOTR, i expected it to be dark but no, it seems to tie in well with the book (a children's story, not an epic like LOTR) well done jackson!

Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Really? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI