Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Primer - 2/3/2006 4:25:21 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
WHAT! - 2/3/2006 4:25:38 PM   
lolita37

this movies is so stupid it gives the impression its an intelligent movie! im a genetisist and they lost me in the first 2 minutes, boring dialogue, shaky camera, horrific lighting and all of this is at the hands of one man: Shane Carruth who took the liberty to direct/star/producer/set design/production design for this atrocity! the only reason i gave it one star was cuz of the relevance of title, and thats being generous!!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
WHAT indeed!! - 4/3/2006 8:46:38 PM   
leetheymademedoit

Liked this a lot, dont get me wrong its not fantastic, however its play on time travel, and the cool cold light of the camera creates a very mellow and invigerating atmosphere, one to watch again!

Post #: 3
RE: WHAT indeed!! - 6/3/2006 8:09:46 AM   
Funkyrae

Some films are just too clever for their own good.  This is a classic example of that.

That's me that is!

(in reply to leetheymademedoit)
Post #: 4
RE: WHAT indeed!! - 6/3/2006 12:05:50 PM   
Movie Dude

ahh crap! n i was gonna rent this tonite

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 5
RE: WHAT indeed!! - 6/3/2006 6:39:21 PM   
Paxton

Do rent it! It's great!

Seriously, I loved the real-world approach to sci-fi. Loved the playing out of the premise, not letting it all go at once. If this guy can do this on $7,000, casting his mates and shooting in his Dad's kitchen, I'd love to see what he can achieve with a proper budget, facilities and crew.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to Movie Dude)
Post #: 6
- 21/10/2007 1:34:28 AM   
bobbyperu

this deserves 5 stars for effort alone. Has anybody any idea how hard it would be to make any feature for 5/6k. "brave"

Post #: 7
Leaves you baffled and confused. - 1/4/2008 6:59:09 PM   
David G

Post #: 8
Content and Confused - 6/12/2011 12:11:58 AM   
Foyble

I had to watch Primer twice before I decided weather or not i enjoyed it. In my first watch I was lost at about the 45 minute mark and the second pretty much on the hour.

Primer has been written, acted, directed and scored in a way to almost remove the dramatic effect of what is actually going on in the background, its kind of a documentary but the people involved in that world dont know about the cameras. Sure its a drama but the dramatisation has been taken out and replaced with low key performances designed to show you how people like you or me might actually react to the enormity of such a discovery as the one detailed in the film.

This film is one of the great thinkers out there, its been 24 hours since I finished watching it for the second time, and I recon that I have thought about the film for most of my waking hours since then.

I thin that the final 15 minutes is left to your own interpretation (wether the director meant it or not) and days could be spent trying to calculate an accurate timeline of events and its that part which slightly ruined the film for me. I would have prefered a little more clarity and I finished the film with loads of questions and nobody to direct them at exept for a few forum community scum bags who where quick to point out that I am just stupid if I didnt get it.

What has been achieved in this film budget and dedication wise is staggering, from what I can gather it was made on about £4000 and a ton of favours. Shane Carruth stars, writes, directs, produces and scores the film and I think that he has done an awesome job.

Next time I will watch it with a pen and paper in hand!

Post #: 9
RE: Content and Confused - 16/7/2012 2:40:19 PM   
clownfoot

Marvellous film. Bafflingly complex and ambiguous, yet the sci-fi elements are surprisingly down to earth and focus more on the human interaction providing an identifiable reality within the willful obfuscation. The consequential breakdown of Abe and Aaron's friendship is central this construct, meaning there's much more to this than paradoxes, multiple timelines and simple fucking around with causality.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Foyble)
Post #: 10
RE: Content and Confused - 13/6/2013 4:13:27 AM   
UTB

Saw this yesterday.. great little film.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Primer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI