Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Warrior

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Warrior Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warrior - 20/12/2011 5:32:25 PM   
Timon

For me one of the best and most underrated films of the year. It arguably flopped at the box office and while comparisons to The Fighter are valid, for me this is the stronger film.

Both leads are fantastic, the fights are brutal and the ending was the most emotional I've felt all year.

I was hoping this and Animal Kingdom would have propelled Edgerton to the A-List, but it looks like he's going to keep waiting for a break-out hit. Plus Nolte has never been better and Hardy has never looked harder.

"Why are we here, Brendan? Why are we here? Are we here to win this fight? You tell me, 'cause if we're not, I'll throw in the towel right now. You don't knock him out, you lose the fight. Understand me? You don't knock him out, you don't have a home."

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Warrior - 20/12/2011 7:15:23 PM   
garvielloken

Can't wait to see this. I really enjoyed The Fighter and The Wrestler so I'm expecting this to be in a similar vein. Tom Hardy is fast becoming one of my favourite actors too.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Warrior - 20/12/2011 10:05:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

For me one of the best and most underrated films of the year. It arguably flopped at the box office and while comparisons to The Fighter are valid, for me this is the stronger film.

Both leads are fantastic, the fights are brutal and the ending was the most emotional I've felt all year.

Totally agree with this. Until Hugo this was probably my film of the year. The showdown between Brendan and Tommy in the field (I think) before the competition starts was absolutely electric and my scene of the year.

Hardy is quickly becoming one of my favourite actors and I'm going to look out for more of Edgerton's stuff following his performance in this.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: Warrior - 21/12/2011 7:56:56 AM   
messiahtime

What an awesome awesome movie!!! :D

Zurple is the new black and has always been!!!

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 4
RE: Warrior - 21/12/2011 8:04:49 AM   
Hobbitonlass

What's not to love!

Have this on pre-order can't wait to watch it again. The story in this film is incredible and highly emotional, both were amazing to watch.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to messiahtime)
Post #: 5
RE: Warrior - 21/12/2011 9:08:19 AM   
Timon

While many complained the trailer gave to much away, for me the music completely sold it to me. Now, recycled from my Trailer Music Thread in Soundtracks, please enjoy AudioMachine's "Conquer the Mountain"

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 6
RE: Warrior - 21/12/2011 9:53:11 AM   
Timon

Also, if you like the song played at the end as the brothers leave the arena, it's The National's About Today. Click below.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Warrior - 23/12/2011 6:26:07 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Haven't seen this one yet. Will do someday.

But let's face it.... It ain't no ROCKY IV is it?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html
Post #: 8
RE: Warrior - 1/1/2012 11:11:27 AM   
Timon

No, it's better because it's not 50% montages.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 9
RE: Warrior - 1/1/2012 11:54:16 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Warrior - 1/1/2012 12:46:35 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

No, it's better because it's not 50% montages.

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: Warrior - 1/1/2012 1:04:24 PM   
Whistler

Although I still think The Fighter was slightly better, I absolutely loved Warrior. Gritty fighting, emotional character arcs, a stunning final scene, and fantastic performances all round (Hardy's in particular, again). I still haven't seen Bronson! Must seek it out.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 12
RE: Warrior - 1/1/2012 2:56:33 PM   
superdan

One of my favourite films of last year. Outstanding work by all the cast (Nolte is especially terrific) and really bruising fight scenes. Hardy's character in it is virtually an animal, pacing around in the cages and launching himself at his opponents.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 13
RE: Warrior - 2/1/2012 11:58:42 AM   
Timon

I love it when he refaces the guy he knocked out in the gym and you think it's going to go differently the second time around - but no.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 14
RE: Warrior - 3/1/2012 6:46:31 AM   
Spaldron

Bad-ass film, actually the first film I saw in the cinema this year (I think).

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.
Post #: 15
RE: Warrior - 3/1/2012 7:02:58 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Bad-ass film, actually the first film I saw in the cinema this year (I think).

You did see it in the cinema, you never stopped going on about it!

Also another one to go on the film list for when you have your monitor! I meant to see this when it was screening but bally missed the chance. Very soon though!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 16
RE: Warrior - 10/1/2012 5:20:57 PM   
Timon

DVD out on Feb 20th. I wish it was in a double bill with The Fighter.. I still have to get that.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 17
RE: Warrior - 12/1/2012 1:05:00 PM   
talpacino

Easily in my top 3 from last year. I was pretty much sold when The National started playing over the opening credits and it just got better and better as the film went on. A real heart pumping film with some fantastic performances. They end it all with a perfectly fitting National song as well which nearly had me in tears.

Tom Hardy's career is definitely moving up fast, I just hope the same happens for Edgerton.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: Warrior - 29/1/2012 6:46:10 PM   
HughesRoss

Just finished watching this for the first time thanks to the fact that its a Blockies Exclusive title.....

Been picked to write the review for our film site and yet at the moment I simply can't.

What a film!  Possibly the best of its kind since the original Rocky film.  Things I loved:

The fact that there was no bad guy.....I mean both brothers were decent and had their own reasons to win.
Nolte was simply brilliant......he really pulled me in with that scene outside the house because he had not seen his Grandchildren....
The two leads.....damn....it was like having 2 Rocky's for the price of 1
Loved....Loved...and I mean loved.....that 2nd fight with Mad Dog......honestly laughed out loud!

Once I get my composure I will try to write the review but the quote on the cover that states "All the Rocky's rolled into one" is wrong!!!!!!!!  This is 100 times better than 2 to 5......

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 19
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 11:56:37 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

The fact that there was no bad guy.....I mean both brothers were decent and had their own reasons to win.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 20
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 12:07:17 PM   
MonsterCat

^ That better not be a spoiler.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 12:08:22 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

^ That better not be a spoiler.

It was.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 22
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 12:08:59 PM   
Timon

It's true. They do have a cuddle. A manly cuddle.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 23
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 12:54:13 PM   
superdan

Does it not go without saying that a Favourite Films thread is going to contain spoilers?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 12:59:22 PM   
MonsterCat

Fair point.

I wasn't really complaining, though. It's just a film, and I'm still jonesing to see it anyway.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 25
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 1:18:30 PM   
Invader_Ace

Saw this for the 2nd time over the weekend.  Loved it all over again.
There are so many emotions in the final fight scene I can barely get my head around it.  When Brenden tells Tommy he loves him, *choke*  Man Tears.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 4:51:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

Saw this for the 2nd time over the weekend.  Loved it all over again.
There are so many emotions in the final fight scene I can barely get my head around it.  When Brenden tells Tommy he loves him, *choke*  Man Tears.

I love how you can see cracks starting to appear in Tommy's armour before that point as he's having more and more trouble keeping his emotions from affecting his violence.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 27
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 4:58:39 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Fair point.

I wasn't really complaining, though. It's just a film, and I'm still jonesing to see it anyway.

You got a Blockbusters nearby? It came out on exclusive from them last Friday.

Edit - As I see Hughsey already mentioned.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 30/1/2012 4:59:07 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 28
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 5:05:09 PM   
MonsterCat

I do but Lovefilm is a more convenient way of renting blu-rays and DVDs.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: Warrior - 30/1/2012 6:18:28 PM   
jon5000

Aside from Nick Nolte I found this a bit meh. Nothing I haven't seen before.

Can't believe Empire gave it 5 stars.

(Actually, I can.)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Warrior Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI