Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. - 20/12/2011 7:25:20 AM   
benskelly

I think taking Batman out of the darkness of night is kind of taking away what makes the character special. It would be like casting some fugly classless thug as James Bond. Wait a minute...
Post #: 31
Friggen Awesome - 20/12/2011 9:33:26 AM   
Englebertnightingale

This looks FRIGGEN AWESOME!

I totally get it. I understand all of the creative choices they've made now. Admittedly, I was sceptical about Bane but now I see that he was clearly a logical choice for the villain. I do believe he puts Bruce out of action hence the cane. And clearly Bruce is doing some research into Banes background in that strange M.C Escher room, this could niftily explain the eastern european location shoot that took place early on.

Gotham appears to have become a different type of dystopia, a more real and tangible one in which there is an unfair division between rich and poor, and a predominant affluent middle class with a bureaucracy. From the trailer this seems to characterize Selina Kyles motivations and her disdain for Bruce Wayne, instantly making her a far more richly complex character than the Catwoman of Burtons' Batman Returns.

Motivated by the unjustness of the class divide which is precisely her from the comics. Yet she alludes to a coming storm, which makes me wonder what she knows and how she would know about that kind of thing? Is she in some way connected to Bane? That's the hot question that I took away from the trailer.

Bane is still a mystery in many ways and seems very cold. I certainly hope that Batmans triumph over him is a mental triumph as well as the inevitable physical triumph that would have to take place. I think Bane is going to take Batman to a new level. Early in the film, Bane looks set to injure Batman, but he'll be back in a big way likely with a Batjet and a blue laser.

I love the hinted story thread about Gordon being washed up and the prey of bureaucrats, that's a very interesting thread of storytelling.
I love the emotional dialogue with Alfred, that's powerful stuff which builds on the last few films. I mean really, when was there ever such a perfectly crafted trilogy? so often directors and writers and actors come and go, but this third part of the trilogy looks set to capitalise majorly on the last two and deliver cinematic bliss.

Man, I'm gonna go and watch it again.

(in reply to Mr_Milktray)
Post #: 32
RE: Umm... - 20/12/2011 9:37:26 AM   
jobloffski

Not sure what people require from a trailer

A storm is coming, Bruce et al must batten down the hatches. Even then, they wont be ready for it. Bane is the storm (or at least one facet of it) and he is gonna knock Batman on his arse so bad he'll be in a position to apparently say to Bruce, after unmasking him, ie removing the theatricality Bruce relies on, ie the costume that provides his symbol/legend with its power,

when Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die.

Plus, broken bat mask and intimations that the story is in some way 'the end of the legend'.

Shit's going down, and Batman may not have what it takes to clean up the mess this time, isn't that enough for a trailer to say in terms of 'watch the film for the full story, you SOB's'?

Even it trailer editing games don't make the above literally what happens (for instance, the word 'Rise' as one point sounds like an altered recording of Caine's Alfred, more than it sounds like it should be coming out of the mouth of the person apparently saying it), the undercurrents are all there in the trailer.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 20/12/2011 7:07:05 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.
Post #: 33
RE: ooh... politics - 20/12/2011 10:36:01 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Really brilliant am wondering who was the man with Bruce in the underground complex could it have been the character I think his name was Harold? the Hunchback from the comics who used to come up with a lot of Bat-Mans stuff.
Post #: 34
RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. - 20/12/2011 10:47:44 AM   
DanTDavies

There are bits that look suspiciously like the prison in Batman begins :) especially the old bloke he talks to "What are they saying?" I think we can infer that Bane and Batman were in that prison together [he's wearing that same prison garb in the "when Gotham is ashes" bit :)] looks good though!!!
Post #: 35
RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. - 20/12/2011 11:39:55 AM   
burtbondy

You categorize the type of individual who makes up the majority of Nolan's fanbase.
quote:

ORIGINAL: hughjass

Underwhelming?!! Really. He makes an American football pitch cave in! How much more do you need?!!

(in reply to hughjass)
Post #: 36
RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. - 20/12/2011 11:47:33 AM   
Englebertnightingale

quote:

ORIGINAL: burtbondy

You categorize the type of individual who makes up the majority of Nolan's fanbase.
quote:

ORIGINAL: hughjass

Underwhelming?!! Really. He makes an American football pitch cave in! How much more do you need?!!

Does he categorize? or is it you that categorizes him as that type of individual?

TDKR is gonna rock!

(in reply to burtbondy)
Post #: 37
RE: Ahhhhhhh - 20/12/2011 12:52:01 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: **preet**

That one shot of Joseph Gordon-Levitt made the trailer for me. :) So exciteddddddddddddddddd, it's unreal!

Agreed. His face of fear was enough, such a good trailer.
Post #: 38
RE: The Dark Knight Rises Trailer Arrives - 20/12/2011 1:15:17 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Nolan could have shown the Batman logo for two minutes, but it wouldn't change the fact this film is gonnna huuuuge ! What would be the point in showing too much 6 months before release ? We got the prologue as well and people still aren't happy

If anything now there are more questions which just gets everyone more hyped about this film. Well played Mr Nolan Sir, well played !

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 39
RE: Why! - 20/12/2011 1:33:54 PM   
Englebertnightingale

quote:

ORIGINAL: boobysuzi

Why did they show the bit with the football pitch? - that would have been a great surprise when watching the film, me thinks, and now I feel cheated. other than that - quite excited!!

it was their sales pitch.... get it? pitch?
Post #: 40
RE: ooh... politics - 20/12/2011 2:02:32 PM   
Filmfan 2

I really like the trailer. I like that fact that it isn't showing you a brief overview of the entire film, something that so many trailers do nowadays that in some cases you don't even need to bother seeing the finished product. The trailer gives out enough information to hook and have you asking questions, which is more than fine by me; it means I'll be able to watch the movie without having already second guessed all of it and the imagery is new and fresh.

This will, however, be the last of the Batman trailers that I'll be watching. I want to see this movie in July with as little of the movie buzzing around my head as possible.

EDIT: Regarding the underwhelm that some are experiencing - I remember people criticising the The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger's Joker before that movie was released, and we all saw how excellent that turned out to be, so my own initial doubts about Bane's voice aside (I expected it to be gruffer), I'm 100% confident the final product will be what I've come to expect from Nolan and co.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 20/12/2011 2:06:06 PM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 41
RE: The robin stuff - 20/12/2011 2:55:15 PM   
A Delicious Bass

Really pushing the Robin theme there Milktray... While agree about the most liekly subtle in joke with the R used in the Rogues team name the crowd are holding. I would just like to re-iterate that Hines Ward is the football player who is used here and also his number when playing for the Pitsburgh Steelers is 86 so the tenuous links that both you and mystical fridge are making aren't very strong. Plus who wanst Robin in these movies besides the fact that Christopher Nolan has repeatedly stated his unwillingness t include Robin in the franchise.

(in reply to Mr_Milktray)
Post #: 42
RE: The Dark Knight Rises Trailer Arrives - 20/12/2011 3:26:50 PM   
kingtutiii

It looks like Bane will use massive breakouts to wear out Batman, just like in Knightfall.

Post #: 43
RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. - 20/12/2011 4:00:25 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanTDavies

There are bits that look suspiciously like the prison in Batman begins :) especially the old bloke he talks to "What are they saying?" I think we can infer that Bane and Batman were in that prison together [he's wearing that same prison garb in the "when Gotham is ashes" bit :)] looks good though!!!

Except that we can see Bruce has some gray hair. So I don't think these scenes will be of his time in the Bhutanese prison. I'm not sure how the prison scene will fit in with the rest of the film for certain, no-one does of course. But it could either be at the start of the film which makes sense. Perhaps Wayne having gone on another long sabbatical or it's to do with Bane's/LoS's plan for kidnapping the rich and powerful of Gotham.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 20/12/2011 4:03:20 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to DanTDavies)
Post #: 44
RE: The Dark Knight Rises Trailer Arrives - 20/12/2011 6:35:31 PM   
Gazdance

Most trailers give too much away - some to the point that it feels like you've seen the whole film - but this does exactly what a trailer should do; shows just enough to intrigue and make you want to see more. What more do people expect?

And bad CGI - really? It looks fine. But ignore the fact that the film is half a year away from release and effects shots in trailers often look better in the finished film if you want. Saying CGI is crap in 2011 is such a lame arguement anyway. It's so advanced that even the worst effects shots are still pretty darn good by any reasonable standards.

The battle for film of next summer starts here.

Post #: 45
RE: Story Breakdown - 20/12/2011 6:36:09 PM   
ZeeDoktor

What a fantastic trailer. Way to really put the tease on Nolan . I'm intrigued as to what Harvey Dent and his doings will play into the plot. The picture in the latest Empire magazine of Bane holding up a picture of him and then a couple of more pictures of Harvey in this trailer. I think Anne Hathaway looks to be pretty good as Selina Kyle/Catwoman also.

I really don't understand people here complaining about the plot not being revealed. Seriously? Are you the kind of people who like to go online and read a movie's plot before going to see it? Such stupidity .

< Message edited by ZeeDoktor -- 20/12/2011 6:51:23 PM >
Post #: 46
RE: Story Breakdown - 20/12/2011 6:37:23 PM   
NCC1701A

Really looking forward to this.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to ZeeDoktor)
Post #: 47
RE: The Dark Knight Rises Trailer Arrives - 20/12/2011 6:52:24 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

Most trailers give too much away - some to the point that it feels like you've seen the whole film - but this does exactly what a trailer should do; shows just enough to intrigue and make you want to see more. What more do people expect?

And bad CGI - really? It looks fine. But ignore the fact that the film is half a year away from release and effects shots in trailers often look better in the finished film if you want. Saying CGI is crap in 2011 is such a lame arguement anyway. It's so advanced that even the worst effects shots are still pretty darn good by any reasonable standards.

The battle for film of next summer starts here.

Not sure it will be much of a battle more like a walkover. This film is gonna do Titanic numbers !

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 48
RE: Why! - 20/12/2011 7:02:48 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Englebertnightingale

quote:

ORIGINAL: boobysuzi

Why did they show the bit with the football pitch? - that would have been a great surprise when watching the film, me thinks, and now I feel cheated. other than that - quite excited!!

it was their sales pitch.... get it? pitch?

Going by the trailer starting with the national anthem at the stadium pre the game, This could be just the start, Bane announcing his arrival. People gather at sports events when they feel safe to do so, Gotham is peaceful, quiet, all is right with the American way, then BAM!!!!!

Recalling BB, with Bruce saying people need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy, Bane as Bruce's shadow, right down to employing the very same psychology, only to darker ends? Nolan is pretty canny, and if this IS Bane announcing his presence to Gotham, maybe for once, we really aint seen nothin' yet?

Re how catwoman fits in, going by her dialogue she does (as someone has joked) sound like a 99%er. So my guess is she would like a fairer society, more social responsibility taken by the rich (ironic, considering who she's talking to), but maybe Nolan will imply a view that the %ers want a fairer society, they don't actually want to destroy it and when the story takes that turn in Gotham, she will help, rather than hinder the social structure.

Which would be pretty sharp social commentary for a superhero film.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 20/12/2011 7:08:47 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Englebertnightingale)
Post #: 49
RE: The robin stuff - 20/12/2011 7:55:29 PM   
Mr_Milktray

Even if I saw the film and it emerged that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was wearing green and covered in questions marks i'd still be convinced that he was secretly playing Robin.

(in reply to A Delicious Bass)
Post #: 50
RE: I Love Bane's VoiceBox - 21/12/2011 1:01:42 PM   
Jasper_29

The Batman Revolutions?

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."
Post #: 51
"There's a storm coming Mr Wayne" - 21/12/2011 6:05:51 PM   
Tech_Noir

Watched again (several times now), just gets me more and more excited.

I've been all of Nolan's films (minus Following) and never once been disappointed, he definitely now replaces Cameron as my favourite writer/filmmaker.

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 52
RE: "There's a storm coming Mr Wayne" - 21/12/2011 10:19:24 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Watched again (several times now), just gets me more and more excited.

I've been all of Nolan's films (minus Following) and never once been disappointed, he definitely now replaces Cameron as my favourite writer/filmmaker.

Does that mean you'll replace your current avatar with one of Bale suiting up as Batman? With a fetishistic tracking shot of course.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 53
RE: "There's a storm coming Mr Wayne" - 22/12/2011 2:50:47 PM   
DanTDavies

Catwoman is blatently responsible for knicking the tumbler etc for Bane :) She is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll She's not a 99%er, if she was I would pay far more attention to what they had to say :)

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 54
RE: "There's a storm coming Mr Wayne" - 22/12/2011 3:54:10 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanTDavies

Catwoman is blatently responsible for knicking the tumbler etc for Bane :) She is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll She's not a 99%er, if she was I would pay far more attention to what they had to say :)

Naaah,

Spoiler.....

It's pretty obvious now that Wayne Enterprises board member "Miranda Tate" (Marion Cottilard) will turn out to be Talia Al Ghul. and it will be her who has supplied the tumblers/tanks etc (probably by giving blue prints to the league of shadows)

(in reply to DanTDavies)
Post #: 55
- 22/12/2011 5:33:32 PM   
KingButtMonkey

** Spoiler alert** Just a theory here but this site suggests there will be a major surprise in the film http://tinyurl.com/d4an67h (it's a Cracked page but the url gives it away).

Post #: 56
Holy S**t - 22/12/2011 8:13:05 PM   
conywolf

Even more excited about this film now, which I didn't think was possible! I'm predicting this will be the best yet, I'll put a tenner on it...

Post #: 57
It can't end here - can it? - 24/12/2011 10:02:40 AM   
Borderboy

The best cast Batman ever!

The best cast villains ever!

Why leave it here?

Surely there's much more mileage in these characters and all of the others that made up the Batman legend.

There is still the appearance of Robin to cover. Why leave the story part told?

Post #: 58
RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. - 24/12/2011 10:21:54 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: benskelly

I think taking Batman out of the darkness of night is kind of taking away what makes the character special. It would be like casting some fugly classless thug as James Bond. Wait a minute...

It's something that was foreshadowed in TDK: The Joker took the piss out of the crooks for having their 'therapy sessions' in broad daylight in order to avoid Batman. Batman uses the darkness to his advantage, but what is he supposed to do if the crimes are happening in broad daylight because law and order has broken down to the point that criminals don't wait for nightfall to do criminal type stuff? He can only go to them where they are, and since he is just a man in a suit, he'd be pretty vulnerable to a mob. So he needs more 'wonderful toys' to regain his position of advantage...

It's possible that Bane would stand in broad daylight and say 'come and get me' (figuratively speaking) in order to take the advantage of the shadows away from Batman. And not having the element of surprise on his side, and how he can then take down someone dangerous, that is surely part of the development of the drama of the story?

Rambling aside, we have no idea how much of the action is daylight action, but you can be pretty sure that where it does happen it will happen because crims aren't afraid of being crims in the daylight anymore, they must be running the town (or permitted to do wht they like by whoever is).

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 24/12/2011 10:22:25 PM >

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 59
Catwoman - 30/12/2011 5:51:50 PM   
leoniatkins

I do like Anne Hathaway but I'm just not convinced in her portrayal of Catwoman here. I realise it's only a few seconds but I always thought Catwoman had a bit more edge. Anyway only June will tell - bring on The Dark Knight!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Looking forward to Empire's breakdown of this trailer. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI