Post #: 1
RE: The Equalizer - 15/12/2011 2:17:15 PM   
fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

its finally happening-

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22629/denzel-washington-is-the-equalizer

hope they keep copeland's theme tune.

Copeland's theme was great. Easily one of the best of the 80s.

When Russell Crowe was touted as the lead a while back I could've bought that - as long as it's the chubbier scruffy Crowe. But I just don't see Washington in the role. The Equalizer (although he was apparently ex-secret service or something) never appeared imposing or someone you'd think could take down a gang of criminals - and that was the great thing, he looked like an average middle-aged guy but could kick-ass. I just don't see Washington bringing that to the role. A physically imposing, cool looking, ex-military guy turn vigilante (which maybe the tack their taking with Washington) just isn't The Equalizer for me.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2
RE: The Equalizer - 16/12/2011 3:07:45 PM   
Haiku

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

its finally happening-

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22629/denzel-washington-is-the-equalizer

hope they keep copeland's theme tune.

Copeland's theme was great. Easily one of the best of the 80s.

When Russell Crowe was touted as the lead a while back I could've bought that - as long as it's the chubbier scruffy Crowe. But I just don't see Washington in the role. The Equalizer (although he was apparently ex-secret service or something) never appeared imposing or someone you'd think could take down a gang of criminals - and that was the great thing, he looked like an average middle-aged guy but could kick-ass. I just don't see Washington bringing that to the role. A physically imposing, cool looking, ex-military guy turn vigilante (which maybe the tack their taking with Washington) just isn't The Equalizer for me.

To be fair to Washington, when he wants to, he is more than capable of turning off his aura of "coolness", and just coming off as an average bloke. His performance in Tony Scott's The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3 remake was pretty much the eptiome of "average joe bloggs". He put on a bit of weight, wore some nerdy specs, and carried on the demeanour of a put upon civil servant pretty convincingly. He didn't have his usual badass vibe. John Travolta came off as the "tough guy" in that film, and in reality, Washington would kick the sh/t out of Travolta in any situation.

Now, Washington won't neccesarily go in that direction (of making his Equalizer seem more average, and less of a physical ass kicker), but he could do it, if neccesary. Like Crowe, Washington is one of those actors who can play a part cerebrally, physically or both. Some of Washington's more cerebral roles in the 90's (like the paraplegic foresensic scientist in The Bone Collector) might be where Washington could take the part. I could defintely seem Washington making his Equalizer a thinking man's vigilante, as opposed to say a one-man army. If Washington put on some specs and kept his greying Morgan Freeman hairdo from his new movie Safe House, he'd actually just look like someone's grandad.

< Message edited by Haiku -- 16/12/2011 3:16:48 PM >

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 3
RE: The Equalizer - 23/12/2011 9:13:46 PM   
JIm R

Should be Crowe directed by Ridley Scott with original theme tune, now that would be good.

(in reply to Haiku)
Post #: 4
RE: The Equalizer - 24/12/2011 9:58:11 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I'm going a bit wider of the mark here I think Colin Firth would be a good choice?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Equalizer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI