Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Objectively speaking, a great film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Objectively speaking, a great film Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Objectively speaking, a great film - 10/1/2012 1:08:24 PM   
spideed2

Not sure there was really a need for this movie, but aside from that i was impressed.

Both are comparable in quality but I actually thought it was more accomplished than the Swedish version. Mara is a more sympathetic lead (than the also great Rapace) and thanks to the script has more of an arc.

The narractive is more efficient and has less exposition (odd for a Hollywood movie) and Fincher puts more focus on atmopshere than shocks (e.g he removes the silly jumpy scene where he goes to see the reclusive brother and replaces it with a simple atmospheric meeting).

The sound track is superb also, including a genius use of Enya.

The whole cast is great but i did prefer the Swedish Blomquist.

Overall, worth a watch.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
better - 13/1/2012 11:19:51 AM   
Samurai7

A better paced and more stylishly done take. As good as Rapace was, Rooney Mara is a better fit. Still quite slow.... but fincher does a great job of keeping it tense. Looking for to parts 2 and 3.

Post #: 62
Fincher Kicked My Cynical Ass - 15/1/2012 8:35:30 PM   
Artificial Luddite

Last night, I walked into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo fostering a number of prejudices. I couldn’t understand why David Fincher would direct a remake of a bestselling novel. I scoffed at the idea that Americans are afraid of subtitles. I sighed impatiently after realising that the running time was two hours and forty minutes. I ended up enjoying the Hell out of it.

As the opening credits explode onscreen, Fincher sets the tone for what is a brutally confident and visually aggressive thriller. Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian says, “Nothing in the movie quite matches the terrific opening sequence,” which pounds its way into your head through its use of a “nightmarish, amorphous vision in liquid monochrome.”

What transpires next is a rather even-handed introduction to a trilogy based on the characters of Stieg Larsson. Sure the movie has its flaws – like why does Daniel Craig keep his English accent, or the clichés and scenes that almost drag the film down a number of dull meanders – but it is the malevolent and at times perverse intensity that etches its way into your mind long after the film is over.

Rooney Mara is Lisbeth Salander, a vulnerable private investigator and hacker who becomes involved with Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig), a discredited journalist hired to uncover a murderer in a wealthy feuding family. The pair are brought closer together by the sinister secrets that begin to unravel after Lisbeth cracks a mysterious code.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo features a number of solid performances, from the conflicted Mara and cardigan-wearing Craig, to the array of memorable characters such as Lisbeth’s vile guardian or Mikael’s distant wife.

Also, following their Oscar-winning collaboration on The Social Network, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are back with yet another menacing hard-edged score, as violent synthesizers rumble. The film opens with a soaring industrial cover of Im

Post #: 63
RE: Fincher Kicked My Cynical Ass - 8/2/2012 10:54:15 AM   
Kayotik

Personally I couldn't make it more than an hour through the film. I found it to be completely and utterly boring. Daniel Craig phones in his performance, Rooney Mara at times was so believable as a vulnerable, untrusting girl and then would deliver lines with such blandness and monotone. The pacing was incredibly slow, it really felt as if this was a short story being dragged out to an hour longer than it should have been. What little story there appeared to be anyway. More a collection of loose plot points strung together.

Overhyped and underperforming in my opinion. I may give the Swedish versions a try to see how they fare.

(in reply to Artificial Luddite)
Post #: 64
RE: Fincher Kicked My Cynical Ass - 8/2/2012 11:06:06 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I have huge like for the original swedish adaptions,so its very unlikely i'll go near this and coming remakes.

(in reply to Kayotik)
Post #: 65
- 23/2/2012 11:20:17 PM   
TheGodfather

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
When this remake was announced I, to put it mildly, didn`t really like the idea of it. The Swedish original was very good so I wasn`t waiting for an American remake. I`m gonna have to,luckily, scratch that opinion after watching it.
Fincher`s version does look a lot smoother and more Hollywood (especially in the camera work and editing departments) than the original but other than there`s really not a whole lot to dislike here. I did notice a few changes compared to the original film. I didn`t read the books but I do think you can see this more as a re-imagining of the books rather than a remake.

The only downside I thought was Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander, who could only convince in just a few scenes. It was too obvious that she was acting the bad girl part, compared to Noomi Rapace who really is Lisbeth and transformers into her.

But there it ends with bad things that we can say about this new take on the Millennium books. David Fincher really delivered more than I expected beforehand. Everyone who was "affraid",like me, to go see this remake can go very well watch it.

8,5/10

Post #: 66
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Review - 11/3/2012 2:14:29 PM   
DaleLawson

This film was definitely better than the Swedish original as it had more personality, fantastic editing and a strong cast. Many will question whether there was a need for a Hollywood remake at all; and while the answer is no, I still believe that when watching this film it provides a more Swedish vibe than the Swedish one itself. The intoxicating acting of Rooney Mara keeps one engaged throughout the whole film, and despite the accent, this film has widened my eyes to the acting ability of Daniel Craig.

Post #: 67
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Review - 12/4/2012 3:48:18 PM   
the film man

Brutal yet captivating, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is the result of David Fincher working at his lurid best with total role commitment from star Rooney Mara making it better than the Swedish version. I am intreged to see where this trilogy goes since the Swedish trilogy got less satisying as it went along.

Post #: 68
RE: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Review - 4/5/2012 7:34:37 PM   
Rich Empire

A quality remake!
Well I never... I have to say when I first heard of this I was dreading it.
Oh Mr Fincher, when will I ever learn. Still taking me to school and proving me to just trust good film makers.
I thought the performances were brilliant, Rooney Mara is a revelation. I didn't think she could top Noomi Repace, but she totally side stepped the cravas and did her own thing. Brave, bold and oh so rare from an actress of todays big screen films.
In my opinion she really should have got the Oscar this year.
Kind of a shame she didn't really, I hope she gets great opportunities after this film to shine on through and build on this great performance.
The rest of the cast keep the momentum going, I was never tired even though I knew of course what was going to happen from seeing the Swedish originals.
The soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is on par if not better that The Social Network, beautiful soundscapes and texture that bring the listen into the world of isolation the landscape, characters and plot evoke.
Finchers eye is second to none, lush, cool and stark. He should be praised heavily for jumping on the film as soon as he could and not sparing the whip on getting it out there in it's freshest form.
All in all a great Thriller for the modern era. Not quite Silence Of The Lambs mind you, but about as good as we can really expect to get by today's standards.
Go see it even if you doubted it like I first did.
Finch proved me wrong, I've always love his films, especially his aesthetic.
In the future I certainly won't even doubt a remake from him, the guy's on fire.
Speaking of "Fire" I hope he directs the next English speaking installment of the Trilogy with as much gusto.
(Should he be given the green light he so richly deserves).

The Dude abides...

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 69
MARA. IS. AMAZING. - 8/5/2012 5:51:42 AM   
YouWillBeUnprepared

This, I thought, was a 100% perfect match for Fincher, even though I'd never the seen film, but I was totally impressed, and taken back, even though I'd seen the swedish film first, and it definately gave some fierce competition, but wasn't a shot for shot remake. The film was totally independent, whilst winking to the swedish film at the same time.

Post #: 70
MARA. IS. AMAZING. - 8/5/2012 5:51:44 AM   
YouWillBeUnprepared

This, I thought, was a 100% perfect match for Fincher, even though I'd never the seen film, but I was totally impressed, and taken back, even though I'd seen the swedish film first, and it definately gave some fierce competition, but wasn't a shot for shot remake. The film was totally independent, whilst winking to the swedish film at the same time.

Post #: 71
Good, but pointless - 10/5/2012 9:56:46 PM   
NeeNahNye

Rooney Mara is brilliant in this, but the film as a whole is a pointless remake. Well worth watching if you haven't watched the original or can't deal with subtitles, but in other respects barely even a recognisable Fincher movie other than the Trent Reznor soundtrack.

On its own merits it's an excellent movie, just a disappointing Fincher one.

Post #: 72
RE: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Review - 28/5/2012 12:18:50 PM   
Barry Bethal

quote:

ORIGINAL: the film man

Brutal yet captivating, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is the result of David Fincher working at his lurid best with total role commitment from star Rooney Mara making it better than the Swedish version. I am intreged to see where this trilogy goes since the Swedish trilogy got less satisying as it went along.

I didn't really see the point in re-doing this movie, however I do see the point in re-doing the sequels as they were, quite frankly, a bit shit, so I was willing to accept this as a means to having decent versions of Played with Fire and Hornet's Nest.

On a note, re. Dragons Tattoo, I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it, however, I still prefer the Swedish version.

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 73
RE: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Review - 6/6/2012 11:47:39 PM   
Dirk Miggler

It was a really good, well made, well acted film but it was pretty much a carbon copy of the Swedish Original. I would only be interested in anymore if everyone stays onboard, including Fincher. Like the poster above I wasnt that bothered for the Swedish sequels.

(in reply to Barry Bethal)
Post #: 74
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 14/7/2012 3:22:42 AM   
norgizfox

In some aspects, David Fincher's adaption of Stieg Larsson’s novel is actually better that it's Swedish counter-part due to the visual style and a more humanized script. But it just isn't as iconic as before, so a star must be deducted. Otherwise, The (English) Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a five-star worthy thriller packed with a supurb narrative, beautiful tech work, and a mind-blowing performance by Rooney Mara.

Post #: 75
"May I kill him?" - 18/12/2012 8:53:21 AM   
movienut707

David Fincher's US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is an effectively dark and disturbing portrait of high society, as well as a compelling character study. Good, then.

Post #: 76
Great adaptation - 10/2/2013 7:43:43 PM   
Mr Gittes

I much prefer this to the Swedish adap (which I saw before this one, just so you know) and the wonderful Rooney Mara captures Lisbeth 100% perfect like no other page-to-screen portrayal I've ever seen. So, another typically brilliant thriller from David Fincher then. I really hope they let him direct the others because, while I still like the Swedish Dragon Tattoo, the other two movie adaptations were utter crap in my opinion. Can't believe what this movie's box office performance was, especially considering a movie like Avatar grosses around the billion mark. Kind of lowers my faith in the film taste of the masses, but hell, opinions are opinions.

Post #: 77
Strong Fincher version - 7/12/2014 8:32:47 AM   
RJNeb2

A very swift American remake of the Swedish film might seem a little unnecessary but it is actually a slightly different beast. The material actually plays right into Fincher’s wheelhouse, as it’s a cold, clinical investigation of some evil crimes told in a stark yet rather beautiful style. The fact that it’s set in a wintry Swedish landscape makes it all the more appropriate. Craig is the disgraced journalist who accepts an assignment to investigate the disappearance of rich man Plummer’s favourite niece, uncovering all sorts of nasty things under rocks in the process. Helping him is a maladjusted Goth hacker, a part that gives Mara as big a chance to shine as it did Noomi Rapace in the original. Perhaps a little overlong, but Fincher packs his version full of telling detail and a superb cast.

Post #: 78
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Objectively speaking, a great film Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI