Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New American Psycho Developing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New American Psycho Developing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New American Psycho Developing - 8/12/2011 10:38:06 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
What?!?! - 8/12/2011 10:38:07 PM   
waltham1979

Is it April??? Is this some sick joke??? What a fucking stupid idea!!! Going to stop reading the article as getting really angry...I've got to return some video tapes!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Just fuck off already - 8/12/2011 10:43:58 PM   
temetnosce

If this guy is linked to Social Network he's probably lining up Justin Timberflake as Bateman. That'd be bad enough but setting it now as well... what's the point? Just because there's a bit of 1% bullshit going on they think the time is now to satirize them? NOBODY whose seen what Mary Harron, Guinevere Turner, Christian Bale et al achieved wants this. Nobody with any sort of love for film wants this. Bret Easton Ellis was writing about a time and place which has been adapted and represented very well already. Invest the money in a new and original script/story idea instead please.

Post #: 3
OH JESUS CHRIST.......NO¬!!!! - 8/12/2011 11:06:06 PM   
Taz69

I think that's what Edward Woodward said in terror and fear at the abomination that awaits him. Firstly there was that moronic idea to do an American Psycho musical, and now ANOTHER POINTLESS remake. Like Oldboy and Akira it's an original that should left unmolested by idiots and jobbers. If you make I will hack you up as Phil Collins is playing on the stereo.

Post #: 4
Is that a remake? I bloody well hope not paul! - 8/12/2011 11:11:14 PM   
Star_trekking16

This is a really horrible and stupid idea. I don't see anyone capturing the character of Patrick Bateman as well as Christian Bale did. The film is brilliant and there is no need at all for a remake and a modern day version just doesn't make any sense. Also the quote from the above quote is awesome!

Post #: 5
RE: Is that a remake? I bloody well hope not paul! - 8/12/2011 11:17:36 PM   
Darth Marenghi

The Harron film is hardly a classic, but chalk this up on the pile of unnecessary remakes clogging up the schedules...

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Star_trekking16)
Post #: 6
Oh please just stop it - 8/12/2011 11:37:14 PM   
Whistler

I've been fairly passive in regards to remakes over the years, but this just crosses the line. I don't care if he's a protege of Fincher, if he's really got potential then he'd think of an original idea instead of stealing one and pretending he's got something new to give it (incidentally, from this it doesn't even sound like he does). American Psycho does NOT need to be remade for a long time - if at all. It's perfect the way it is; Bale is excellent and the direction is flawless. I mean, it's only twelve years old for god's sake! What's next, an Inception remake?

Post #: 7
In a day of remake announcements - 8/12/2011 11:41:40 PM   
Loosecrew

I'd like to announce that I myself am currently planning a remake of Citizen Kane I'm setting it in the UK and the main location will be Birmingham. It will be in colour and more importantly in 3D/smell-O-vision.

Post #: 8
RE: Just fuck off already - 8/12/2011 11:50:07 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: temetnosce

If this guy is linked to Social Network he's probably lining up Justin Timberflake as Bateman. That'd be bad enough but setting it now as well... what's the point? Just because there's a bit of 1% bullshit going on they think the time is now to satirize them? NOBODY whose seen what Mary Harron, Guinevere Turner, Christian Bale et al achieved wants this. Nobody with any sort of love for film wants this. Bret Easton Ellis was writing about a time and place which has been adapted and represented very well already. Invest the money in a new and original script/story idea instead please.

I think the level of "bullshit" that's gone on is far beyond 1%. There's no real need as such to do another adaptation, but to me it seems they're not seeking to remake the Mary Herron film but actually make a fresh adaptation of the book. I don't see anything wrong with it providing it isn't seeking to emulate the other film and simply tell a different story. Seeing as though this won't be a period piece film but actually based in our time ought to suggest it'll be different at least. It's best to reserve judgement until at least a trailer is released and there's some detail about what kind of direction the film will take. Rather than facepalm at the mention of a 'remake' (which strictly speaking it isn't).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Loosecrew

I'd like to announce that I myself am currently planning a remake of Citizen Kane I'm setting it in the UK and the main location will be Birmingham. It will be in colour and more importantly in 3D/smell-O-vision.

You sure you shouldn't change your name to Loosescrews?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 8/12/2011 11:51:02 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to temetnosce)
Post #: 9
RE: Is that a remake? I bloody well hope not paul! - 8/12/2011 11:58:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

The Harron film is hardly a classic, but chalk this up on the pile of unnecessary remakes clogging up the schedules...

Disagree - I think it is one of the great films of the 00s.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 10
Just go watch the 2000 movie. - 9/12/2011 9:53:23 AM   
Nicky C

It's f*cking brilliant! It's so funny and scathing and dark and such a rich, well-chosen mixture of ideas and emotions. Bale jumps head first into it and his commitment totally makes the picture. The production design and the overall tone is quite bright, bold and even tongue-in-cheek, making the violence (which is not overly graphic) all the more shocking through juxtaposition.

I fear a new movie would probably try to be 'gritty' and 'real', but that might feel like the easy route as everyone seems to be doing that these days. Out of respect for Harron's film and Bale's performance, I struggle to see how a new version could be any smarter than the one we already have.

Post #: 11
The original is too good - 9/12/2011 12:06:25 PM   
lil_loner93

Let's remake Fight Club, One Flew Over The Cuckoos nest, 12 Angry Men, the Shining, 2001, Psycho. I mean, why the fuck not. Clearly nothing is sacred anymore.

Post #: 12
- 9/12/2011 12:45:07 PM   
sweetladybrick

Psycho already got remade. It was terrible. I imagine this will stop when people stop paying to see this unnecessary retooling that just keeps happening without producing anything worthwhile in the process. There are good remakes, but not many. Scorcese and Morricone are in a minority. This film isn't even old! It's not even foreign language (not that that should be an acceptable reason- just plug the original. If people can't cope with subtitles they don't deserve the story). It's just fucking depressing. I'm out, man. I don't need this shit!

Post #: 13
RE: New American Psycho Developing - 9/12/2011 1:43:38 PM   
Super Hans

I won't bother repeating myself with what I said in the Starship Troopers remake thread as it mostly applies here too.   I don't really see the value in a remake of this - even less so rejigging it to a current day setting.  Wasn't the 80s an integral part of the whole point of the story?

Lazy, lazy, lazy.  They do genuinely seem to be getting worse for remaking stuff when there really is no call for it.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 14
RE: New American Psycho Developing - 10/12/2011 1:33:29 AM   
jobloffski

No mega huge problem with this. The period of the original story was selected for being an iconic time of greed at the top of the tree, with irony free rich people loving Les Miserables while despising the real poor/homeless, and having no empathy with the less well off and not enough individual identity to be particularly distinguishable from each other.

That is not something limited to the Yuppie period Ellis selected as the setting of his story, and IMO this stuff is more important than the period setting. The vacuous, product obsessed empty headed and emotionally empty lifestyle of the Yuppies has run rampant since that period, become the norm for many even not in the wealthy lifestyle zone of the Yuppies and many, many, many people express incredibly violent rage at strangers/type out ludicrously horrible things they believe should happen to celebrities/victims of crime/etc via the internet.

Judged by the internet alone, you;d think empathy for the situation/feelings of another (the absence of which is what defines psychopathic tendencies/behaviour) was on it;s way out the door, never to return.

It's a world teeming with Batemans now, maybe it always was, and modern technology maybe allows the 'psycho' in many people out to play...The bankers are still the bad guys, but their heartless lack of human empathy trickled down into society at large, and nobody is safe from the collective wrath of the net users who feel so absolutely free to put online what they would never say to people face to face, but the very fact it;s all being 'put out there' via the net has perhaps changed how humanity views itself, because much of what goes on in peoples heads that might have just been passing bullshit (or jottings in journal like in AP) gets spewed out into the ether and stays there, forever.

Okay, playing Devil's advocate to a very large degree there, but couched in such terms, I think it's perfectly fine to both update AP for the cyber age AND focus it on a proto-typical Bateman who would have far more freedom to spew his inner delusions/rages into blogs/social networking sites, and by setting it in the modern age rather than casting back into an earlier period, it could actually make for a quite terrifying satire of the world we know, right now, and more than the earlier film could do, convey the feeling in the book that ANYONE could be that crazy under their polished surface.

And a new Bateman would be more of an everyman figure in such a scenario, given that once upon a time, Yuppies were considered dicks for their obsession with latest gadgetry, etc. But such ways of thinking have long since become much more accepted as the norm.

And couched in these terms, it makes a great deal of sense that someone connected with the 'Facebook movie' should at least consider exploiting for a movie the kind of absolute fucking nutjobs that will post anything that enters their head on such sites.

Essentially, imagine AP updated, with a Fight Club level of evisceration of the world we live in now, It would be a very different film to the first AP adaptation, and approached as a genuinely adult proposition might convey the harsher elements of what Ellis wrote more effectively, and perhaps ram home a little harder the 'question yourself and how you see poor people/the homeless' than the Bale version did.

Perhaps by being so extreme in it's content, Ellis's parody of his own country's basic psychology (rich = good, poor people = human waste) may have been lost on the very people he targeted his satire at (and make no mistake, he was satirising attitudes he saw in the present when he wrote, not just taking the piss out of the past, that was just artistic licence helping him to actually get away with writing such a story at all). Bankers 'ruined the world' because the have it all, have it now mentality became a drug few people were immune to. Why not parody the world the bankers have created from a Bateman type POV? And if that sort of thing is going to happen, why not update Bateman rather than create a character thet would be him in all but name anyway?

Just got nostalgic for the days when I used to trash EVERYTHING. Looking for the upside works so much better for me

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 10/12/2011 2:43:46 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 15
RE: New American Psycho Developing - 10/12/2011 7:19:28 PM   
DazDaMan

What. The fuck?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 16
RE: New American Psycho Developing - 12/12/2011 5:52:18 PM   
buffster28

i agree why keep remaking films seriously can no one come up with an original idea.

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 17
RE: New American Psycho Developing - 12/12/2011 9:45:34 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

No mega huge problem with this. The period of the original story was selected for being an iconic time of greed at the top of the tree, with irony free rich people loving Les Miserables while despising the real poor/homeless, and having no empathy with the less well off and not enough individual identity to be particularly distinguishable from each other.

That is not something limited to the Yuppie period Ellis selected as the setting of his story, and IMO this stuff is more important than the period setting. The vacuous, product obsessed empty headed and emotionally empty lifestyle of the Yuppies has run rampant since that period, become the norm for many even not in the wealthy lifestyle zone of the Yuppies and many, many, many people express incredibly violent rage at strangers/type out ludicrously horrible things they believe should happen to celebrities/victims of crime/etc via the internet.

Judged by the internet alone, you;d think empathy for the situation/feelings of another (the absence of which is what defines psychopathic tendencies/behaviour) was on it;s way out the door, never to return.

It's a world teeming with Batemans now, maybe it always was, and modern technology maybe allows the 'psycho' in many people out to play...The bankers are still the bad guys, but their heartless lack of human empathy trickled down into society at large, and nobody is safe from the collective wrath of the net users who feel so absolutely free to put online what they would never say to people face to face, but the very fact it;s all being 'put out there' via the net has perhaps changed how humanity views itself, because much of what goes on in peoples heads that might have just been passing bullshit (or jottings in journal like in AP) gets spewed out into the ether and stays there, forever.

Okay, playing Devil's advocate to a very large degree there, but couched in such terms, I think it's perfectly fine to both update AP for the cyber age AND focus it on a proto-typical Bateman who would have far more freedom to spew his inner delusions/rages into blogs/social networking sites, and by setting it in the modern age rather than casting back into an earlier period, it could actually make for a quite terrifying satire of the world we know, right now, and more than the earlier film could do, convey the feeling in the book that ANYONE could be that crazy under their polished surface.

And a new Bateman would be more of an everyman figure in such a scenario, given that once upon a time, Yuppies were considered dicks for their obsession with latest gadgetry, etc. But such ways of thinking have long since become much more accepted as the norm.

And couched in these terms, it makes a great deal of sense that someone connected with the 'Facebook movie' should at least consider exploiting for a movie the kind of absolute fucking nutjobs that will post anything that enters their head on such sites.

Essentially, imagine AP updated, with a Fight Club level of evisceration of the world we live in now, It would be a very different film to the first AP adaptation, and approached as a genuinely adult proposition might convey the harsher elements of what Ellis wrote more effectively, and perhaps ram home a little harder the 'question yourself and how you see poor people/the homeless' than the Bale version did.

Perhaps by being so extreme in it's content, Ellis's parody of his own country's basic psychology (rich = good, poor people = human waste) may have been lost on the very people he targeted his satire at (and make no mistake, he was satirising attitudes he saw in the present when he wrote, not just taking the piss out of the past, that was just artistic licence helping him to actually get away with writing such a story at all). Bankers 'ruined the world' because the have it all, have it now mentality became a drug few people were immune to. Why not parody the world the bankers have created from a Bateman type POV? And if that sort of thing is going to happen, why not update Bateman rather than create a character thet would be him in all but name anyway?

Just got nostalgic for the days when I used to trash EVERYTHING. Looking for the upside works so much better for me

All good points, especially about the way people behave online, but I'd still rather see such ideas in something original, rather than retooling an existing piece and just blagging on it's succesful name.

I know really that all such things are just different takes on similar tales but the way they're doing this just seems like another lazy remake.  I know that many will argue that it's a remake, and other will argue that it's, not, it's just a perfectly valid new adaption of the novel, but I'm personally not entirely sure that another adaption within a decade of a barely 20 year old book is justifiable as anything other than a cash in.

Edit - just realised it's now been over 10 years since American Psycho was released (where did that go?!) but you know what I mean

< Message edited by Super Hans -- 12/12/2011 9:49:01 PM >

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 18
RE: New American Psycho Developing - 12/12/2011 11:12:26 PM   
jobloffski

How about following The Social Network with...

The Antisocial Network

Ker-ching!!

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 12/12/2011 11:13:12 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 19
LOL - 15/12/2011 3:46:20 PM   
petethejakey

Is this because of the crappy straight to video sequel?

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New American Psycho Developing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI