Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

UltraViolet Arrives In Britain

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> UltraViolet Arrives In Britain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UltraViolet Arrives In Britain - 8/12/2011 11:02:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 8/12/2011 11:02:26 AM   
SilentJimbo

This is drawing us closer to the sad day when we can no longer purchase physical copies...
Not sure how you can say this "can only be a good thing"...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 8/12/2011 12:12:39 PM   
Cool Breeze

I thought the thread title meant that a new version of that whack Milla Jovovich film was being released.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to SilentJimbo)
Post #: 3
Not good news at all... - 8/12/2011 1:24:49 PM   
D-ToX

I can’t say that I am happy about yet another studio’s attempt at ‘resolving’ the digital format issue.
I have been using Ultraviolent since it was launched in the US and I have been far from impressed and the fact the Warner are behind it is hardly surprising. They have never been behind the ITunes format due to the amount of money that they have to pay Apple and while they have been developing Ultraviolet they have been fucking off the UK market with different types of media copies depending on the individual release so without reading the fine print on the back of the box you may end up with a rather rubbish Windows Media copy which of course isn’t compatible with any Apple products.
If Ultraviolet follows the US business model then you will need two accounts to set everything up, yes you will still be able to download movies onto an apple product if you have the correct app and though you can store the file on your pc, you cannot transfer it to your phone instead you will have to download it to your phone every time which takes time.
Then there is the quality, it is a step backwards and similar to what you get with Windows Media, so isn’t going to look good when you play it on a larger device.
At the moment not all the studios are signed up to this either with Disney choosing to stay with Apple and then you have places like Tesco getting on board with the whole digital thing, they are starting up their own service for any products purchased at their stores.

It is a whole new media war emerging but the biggest problem the studio’s face is being able to get people interested in the first place, while I do use digital copies when I am on the move, many people don’t and I certainly don’t watch any of them at home as the quality is just too poor and streaming is still in its infancy too. The Studios are so desperate to make a buck that they really aren’t assessing the demand and unless they all agree

Post #: 4
Not convinced... - 8/12/2011 1:25:32 PM   
leroythemasochist

I might sound like a bit of an old fart here but what happens when the company you entrust with all your thousands of pounds worth of purchases says something like 'ooops, really sorry but we've sort of had a bit of a system crash and all your personal collections have been wiped.'?
And don't tell me that could never happen cuz things go wrong with digital stuff all the time. Even Macs - I know, I have one and it's by no means full proof (pay attention Mr Stephen Fry). We put way too much trust in the all powerful internet and one day it'll come back and bite us on the arse - and losing our movie collections won't be the half of it!
Keep buying DVDs and BluRays - don't believe the hype quite yet

Post #: 5
- 8/12/2011 1:54:37 PM   
artilleryman

Looks like another attempt to get the public behind a 'walled garden' to me where they can start ripping us off again with overpriced, poor-quality product. I'll pass thanks...

Post #: 6
Physical copies of stuff rock - 8/12/2011 4:22:10 PM   
MusicLovesYou

Digital copies of stuff suuuuuuuuuuck! I want to read a book because I like flicking through pages and the smell of the paper. I like buying CDs, DVDs, games and Blu-Rays because I like having a physical collection I can browse through and I want friends and family who visit me to be able to browse through my collections. I reserve my digital browsing for my Sky+ remote and whether to watch Towie or Desperate Scousewives...I'm kidding about that last part...it's Made in Chelsea all the way.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> UltraViolet Arrives In Britain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI