Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Band of Brothers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Band of Brothers - 5/8/2010 11:55:09 AM   
Timon

I'm currently rewatching the entire series on Blu-Ray with the in-picture commentary from the real members of Easy Company. It's amazing....especially, in the first episode, on everyone's thoughts on Herbert Sobel.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 241
RE: Band of Brothers - 5/8/2010 12:05:43 PM   
jcthefirst

I'm going to do the same once I finish the series. Only episode 10 to go.

Epsiode 9 was tough though, when they make their discovery.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 242
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/9/2010 11:42:12 AM   
Timon

Walter F. Eggert of Easy Company has passed on.

http://www.petaluma360.com/article/20100909/COMMUNITY/100909508?Title=Walter-F-Eggert

EDIT: Tragically, quite a few of Easy have died over the past three years including Ronald Spiers, James Alley and Shifty Powers.

http://www.menofeasycompany.com/nieuws/index.php

< Message edited by Timon -- 16/9/2010 11:44:55 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 243
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/9/2010 6:06:04 PM   
darth silas

So I recently watched this series for the first time on blu ray and I'm sorry to say I found the whole thing a bit..well..meh.

I struggled through it to be honest.Sure,it was well made,the acting was fine and there are some great battles,but the episodes on the whole were fairly boring as not much really happened.

When David Schwimmer turned up i was laughing at all his scenes(was expecting Chandler Bing to show up as his second in command!).

The final episode summed up the whole series for me.. Not much happened.I know they were just chronicling what really happened but still.It was dull.

Will be trading in the blu ray set tomorrow

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 244
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/9/2010 6:08:57 PM   
Timon

quote:

So I recently watched this series for the first time on blu ray and I'm sorry to say I found the whole thing a bit..well..meh.

I struggled through it to be honest.Sure,it was well made,the acting was fine and there are some great battles,but the episodes on the whole were fairly boring as not much really happened.

Except for the whole invasion of Nazi-occupied Europe from June 1944 till the end of the war....

Yes, yes, respect everyone's point of view but you sir, are a fool.

Good day!

< Message edited by Timon -- 19/9/2010 6:17:25 PM >

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 245
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/9/2010 6:12:54 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

When David Schwimmer turned up i was laughing at all his scenes(was expecting Chandler Bing to show up as his second in command!).

The final episode summed up the whole series for me.. Not much happened.I know they were just chronicling what really happened but still.It was dull.

I urge to you give it a second viewing before committing an act of such madness.....

You are probably the only person I have heard that hasn't enjoyed it.....Doesn't that tell you something? Go on, give it another go!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 246
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/9/2010 6:27:56 PM   
Felix

quote:

You're usually soooooo wrong about everything i'm glad you didnt like it...

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 247
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/9/2010 6:34:09 PM   
sanchia

I thoroughly enjoyed it myself although found it to not be really suited to Blu Ray. A lot of the filming was grainy (deliberately so I believe) and this didn't really mesh with the high definition,

Surely the David Schwimmer thing is more of a response to typecasting than the actual quality of the acting or show. He came across as a complete dick which is essentially what they were trying to present him as.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 248
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/9/2010 10:08:13 PM   
krudler

quote:

Well its not up to the standard of X-Men Origins:Wolverine but as far as critically acclaimed tv shows go a few of us think its alright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 249
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/9/2010 11:22:18 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Oh Silas...

Post #: 250
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:51:00 AM   
King_Bard

quote:

Oh dear.

Their always has to be one and better it being Silas than anyone else.

Post #: 251
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:21:36 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Except for the whole invasion of Nazi-occupied Europe from June 1944 till the end of the war....

Good day!

Well Ti,im sorry to say that everone is entitled to an opinion and my opinion is that Band Of Brothers is overated.Yes,the series chronicled the invasion of Nazi occupied europe but as the whole series played out there wasnt much actiual drama going on.One episode in particular consisted of the soldiers dug in foxholes.Every now and then there was a mortar attack,someone was injured badly and someone shouted MEDIC!! a hundred times.That was basically the whole episode.Again,i realise this is what the soldiers went through in reality but it made for tedious viewing.

In the final episode,the war is over,Easy Company show up and accept the Nazis surrender,Tom Hardy dies in a car accident and the guys play football.The End.Not exactly riveting viewing.

Maybe its because it was so highly rated by people here and in general that it raised my expectations too much.

A very unmemorable series.Sorry.I do love Saving Private Ryan though.

< Message edited by darth silas -- 20/9/2010 12:25:41 PM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 252
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:28:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

Its about the men of Easy Company first and the foremost. The war is the engine for these relationships.

In fact the episodes you mention - about the soliders in the fox holes, which I presume you mean Bastogne and The Breaking Point, focused on how the unit was held together when faced with the tedium, fear and cold of those fox holes, while also showing the situation from the command point of view, and the importance of having leaders who repsected and understood the Compnay, but could also take charge and lead them into battle.

There was way more going on in those episodes than motar attacks.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 20/9/2010 12:37:51 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 253
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:37:19 PM   
Timon

I have no words.

Except.... it's baseball! Not football.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 254
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:39:27 PM   
superdan

quote:

Yes,the series chronicled the invasion of Nazi occupied europe but as the whole series played out there wasnt much actiual drama going on.One episode in particular consisted of the soldiers dug in foxholes.Every now and then there was a mortar attack,someone was injured badly and someone shouted MEDIC!! a hundred times.That was basically the whole episode.Again,i realise this is what the soldiers went through in reality but it made for tedious viewing.

In the final episode,the war is over,Easy Company show up and accept the Nazis surrender,Tom Hardy dies in a car accident and the guys play football.The End.Not exactly riveting viewing.

Maybe its because it was so highly rated by people here and in general that it raised my expectations too much.

But that's just describing the events without reference to the emotional side and the characters, you've either missed or ignored the elements that make it one of the most highly regarded series ever made. It's like saying that Jaws is just some men hunting a big shark, or that The Shawshank Redemption is just some men in prison; one of them escapes.

Also, while I like SPR, it pales in comparison to BoB. In my opinion.

Post #: 255
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:42:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

The last episode is about the people. For most that is how the war ended. Not with a final massive battle, but in a hazy surrender by the German forces. But the episode is more about how for these men, life still goes on, stupid stuff happens, and from some, The Pacific is a real fear on the horizon.

If you are invested in the characers, this is a grace note of an episode on which to close. The last time that Easy Company is together as a force.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 256
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:46:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

What sets BoB is that it is pretty much a big budget war movie, spread over 10 hours. What this allows, and where most war movies simply don't have the time to establish, are richly developed characters. In a war movie, you will have certain types - the gruff second in command, the rookie, the hot shot sniper, the badass...etc, as examples.

SPR has this. Because of time, we need to get to know these characters quickly and move forward with the plot. Band of Brothers allows us the chance to watch a group of soliders, grow and learn and give us the depth which hadn't been seen before. Yes, there were certain types - but we got under their skin, how they were what they were and most of all, I think the show is the only war film/series that managed to protray what these units were, and how they worked.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 257
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:52:25 PM   
Scott_

No drama? How can anybody can think that. Not even with the thoughts of the real Easy Company members sharing thier memorys of each other?

Everyones entitled to thier opinion but saying theres no drama is just stupid.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 258
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:55:56 PM   
darth silas

I dont think the cast were very memorable at all.And they were nearly all indistinguishabe and not compelling in my opinion.The best character was the guy rumoured to have shot twenty Nazis afte giving them all cigarettes and he wasnt even in it all that much.

Like i said,i didnt think there was much drama in this series and didnt care particularly for the characters.Again,not taking away from the real life heroism that these guys did during the actual war but i just found the whole thing forgettable.

I am intrigued by the prospect of The Pacific though.That any good?

< Message edited by darth silas -- 20/9/2010 12:59:11 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 259
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:58:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

Would it be fair to say you were looking for more fighting?

Post #: 260
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 12:58:47 PM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good day!

Well Ti,im sorry to say that everone is entitled to an opinion and my opinion is that Band Of Brothers is overated.Yes,the series chronicled the invasion of Nazi occupied europe but as the whole series played out there wasnt much actiual drama going on.One episode in particular consisted of the soldiers dug in foxholes.Every now and then there was a mortar attack,someone was injured badly and someone shouted MEDIC!! a hundred times.That was basically the whole episode.Again,i realise this is what the soldiers went through in reality but it made for tedious viewing.

Oh, I didn't want to bite, I really didn't, but the bit in bold defies belief. 

You were aware of the title of the series, right? Band of Brothers?  The clue is kinda all in there.  That the series managed to strike a perfect balance between incredible, breath taking action and the best character drama in any t.v show out there is an impressive feat.   The series is meant to be about the men.   The brotherhood.   Intense and life long friendships are made from intense situations like war.   You have missed the point entirely if you think them sitting in fox holes for an hour with occasional action is tedious.   It's about their friendships, fears, dreams, integrity, and character.  It's about how they cope with hell on earth because of friendships borne out of situations you or I can't even begin to imagine.  War is an absolute savage beast.  If you want to see non-stop war action, I have a huge collection I could recommend films from, but this series painfully chronicles what the beast does to individual men within one company, and in turn what happens when the company ceases to be a group of soldiers but a genuine band of brothers.  I have watched this series countless times, and have still yet to remain dry-eyed at the very final utterances of Dick Winters.  All I can say is if you were left bored at the end of this amazing series then you're cold man.  Very cold.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 261
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:03:37 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good day!

You were aware of the title of the series, right? Band of Brothers?  The clue is kinda all in there.  That the series managed to strike a perfect balance between incredible, breath taking action and the best character drama in any t.v show out there is an impressive feat.   The series is meant to be about the men.   The brotherhood.   Intense and life long friendships are made from intense situations like war.   You have missed the point entirely if you think them sitting in fox holes for an hour with occasional action is tedious.   It's about their friendships, fears, dreams, integrity, and character.  It's about how they cope with hell on earth because of friendships borne out of situations you or I can't even begin to imagine.  War is an absolute savage beast.  If you want to see non-stop war action, I have a huge collection I could recommend films from, but this series painfully chronicles what the beast does to individual men within one company, and in turn what happens when the company ceases to be a group of soldiers but a genuine band of brothers.  I have watched this series countless times, and have still yet to remain dry-eyed at the very final utterances of Dick Winters.  All I can say is if you were left bored at the end of this amazing series then you're cold man.  Very cold.

Or maybe the series just wasnt very well written? Im not saying the series was absolute rubbish,the production values were top knotch and the battles that were featured were brilliantly staged,but i just myself stuggling to finish watching all the episodes.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 262
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:04:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

What do you mean by "drama" anyway?

Post #: 263
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:06:47 PM   
vad3r

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good day!

Or maybe the series just wasnt very well written? Im not saying the series was absolute rubbish,the production values were top knotch and the battles that were featured were brilliantly staged,but i just myself stuggling to finish watching all the episodes.

Phantom Menace was well written?

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

Post #: 264
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:07:07 PM   
superdan

quote:

Or maybe the series just wasnt very well written?

< Message edited by superdan -- 20/9/2010 1:10:00 PM >

Post #: 265
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:08:42 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

*Must not bite* I think Silas is having a laugh at our expense. There's no way anyone can think these things!!!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 266
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:14:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

I mean, the look on the soliders faces in Why We Fight when they find the camp and simply have no idea what it is, and why these people are in there, is heartbreaking, and the subsequent  realisation is honest to god drama with a captial D.  

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 267
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:16:32 PM   
matty_b

Surely having a laugh. You have to remember he thinks Prison Break and 24 is well-written!

Man, I really watch this again right now. I think once I've completed my West Wing marathon I'll start it again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 268
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 1:20:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

As for the Pacific...

I did not care for it.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 269
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 2:33:07 PM   
krudler

Hang on hang on hang on, "Bastogne" is without drama? its one of the best episodes of a tv show ever. I loved how it if focusses on the one person war movies never focusses on , the medic. How he has to scrounge around for stuff and wander about with no weapon, the scenes with the nurse are brilliant, and I loved how she gives him her headscarf and he has to rip it in half to use it as a tourniquette later on, the look on his face says more than anything a screenwriter could have come up with.

The end is brilliant, it doesnt end in typical war movie fashion with a massive battle ala SPR but with the eventual surrender of the enemy, which is what happened in real life, pockets of resistance being pushed back until the final surrender after Hitlers death. The Eagles Nest episode is brilliant, it shows that not all the German army were mindless Nazi's and they too were just doing what they thought was their duty to their country. I love when Liebgott is translating the German generals speech to the troops for Winters and Nixon.

Oh and this sums up any opinions that BoB is overrated and without drama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI