Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Band of Brothers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Band of Brothers - 25/7/2009 11:35:13 AM   
Timon

So I've started watching my Blu Ray set and the sound is awesome. I was expecting the picture to be better though. Some scenes look stunning, mainly the preparation for D-Day and the loading of the C-47s, but most others look like standard SD or as good as my R1 set.

Still, the In Picture Commentary with the real members of Easy Company is well worth it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 211
RE: Band of Brothers - 25/7/2009 1:45:50 PM   
the anomaly

Still have it on the shelf ... still not watched it all! I am going to start today. Promise.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 212
RE: Band of Brothers - 27/7/2009 6:59:16 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

So I've started watching my Blu Ray set and the sound is awesome. I was expecting the picture to be better though. Some scenes look stunning, mainly the preparation for D-Day and the loading of the C-47s, but most others look like standard SD or as good as my R1 set.

Still, the In Picture Commentary with the real members of Easy Company is well worth it.

I watched the first two eps as normal, but decided to switch on the In Picture Commentary for Carentan - it's amazing!  Especially how much more detail you notice and much is factually accurate - even down to passing names - who attended to which wounded etc.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 213
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/9/2009 9:56:37 PM   
El Becks

Bought this on DVD some time back and have just watched the first episode. Loved it. Really looking forward to seeing the whole series over the next few weeks.

Cannot recall why I missed this first time round but so glad I got the DVD set. If the first episode is anything to go by, I really believe this could be one of my all-time favourite drama series, up there with The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Shield and Six Feet Under.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 214
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/9/2009 10:13:04 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Becks

Bought this on DVD some time back and have just watched the first episode. Loved it. Really looking forward to seeing the whole series over the next few weeks.

Cannot recall why I missed this first time round but so glad I got the DVD set. If the first episode is anything to go by, I really believe this could be one of my all-time favourite drama series, up there with The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Shield and Six Feet Under.

It's better than any of those, except The Wire.

I love the interviews with the real guys. I was in tears every time I saw them!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 215
RE: Band of Brothers - 14/9/2009 1:33:03 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

I will happily admit I well up like a big manchild when (I think its Winters) says his grandson asked if he was a hero in the war, and he replies with "No...but I fought in the company of heroes" 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 216
RE: Band of Brothers - 14/9/2009 11:12:23 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

I watched the first two eps as normal, but decided to switch on the In Picture Commentary for Carentan - it's amazing!  Especially how much more detail you notice and much is factually accurate - even down to passing names - who attended to which wounded etc.

The In Picture Commentary is amazing isn't it. I just never grow old of watching BoB....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 217
RE: Band of Brothers - 14/9/2009 11:15:10 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

I wholeheartedly agree!

And if you like it that much Becks remember to vote for it in this year's forum TV Poll.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 218
RE: Band of Brothers - 26/9/2009 2:34:00 AM   
El Becks

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

I will happily admit I well up like a big manchild when (I think its Winters) says his grandson asked if he was a hero in the war, and he replies with "No...but I fought in the company of heroes" 

Just watched the final episode of this series and that closing line has me in tears as I type this. Band of Brothers is a wonderful series; I urge anyone who has not seen it to get hold of the DVD box set; you will not be disappointed. Absolutely fantastic!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 219
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/9/2009 3:13:27 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

8/10/2007 7:50:44 PM

I have finally got round to buying this!
£15 online at HMV it's the cheapest I have seen it.

I only finished watching it for the first time YESTERDAY! I had started to watch it a few times. So I have seen the first two episodes a few times but never carried on.

Overall it is amazing. Everybody should watch it. It should be shown in schools ... at the least recommended viewing. Stellar performances all round. I actually matched up a few of the characters with the actual people who introduce the show. It truly is an epic and brilliant show. The only thing you need to get used to is it is an ensemble cast. Many characters come and go for various reasons. But it was clear from the first episode that Winters was a focal point and there are various characters that are constantly in it.

It's a startling portrayal of the war. It does a great job of showing the epic brutal battles and the scale of the war. But also the bond and struggles that all the soldiers went through. I can't really pick one standout episode I loved them all for various reasons. "Breaking Point" and "Why we fight" are fresh in my mind.

The end with the German commander surrendering and giving his "band of brothers" speech combined with an intro by one of the soldiers stating "under different circumstances we could have been friends" and acknowledging the German's as  only human was a inspired touch. Especially after seeing the results of humanity at it's worst in "why we fight”.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 1/10/2009 12:12:36 PM >

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 220
RE: Band of Brothers - 8/10/2009 10:02:15 PM   
matthewforan

I've just gone through the series for the first time and I've got to say it's stunning, brilliant characters, fantastic stories and the music and look of it are second to none. It also is the only show bar West Wing to have me shed a few tears.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 221
RE: Band of Brothers - 3/11/2009 8:26:39 PM   
benmharper

I've just watched episode 9 of this awesome show. My wife walked in to find me with tears streaming down my face. I started whne the camp was discovered and that was it til the ep finished

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 222
RE: Band of Brothers - 6/11/2009 11:10:44 AM   
Timon

Welsh male choir band Only Men Aloud have called their new album Band of Brothers and they do a version of it on their album....first by humming it.... and then there are lyrics! To the Band of Brothers theme. Very odd.

Worth a listen if you have Spotify.

Apparantly it's also known as Requiem for a Solider.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/amiciforever/requiemforasoldier.html

< Message edited by Timon -- 6/11/2009 1:41:46 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 223
RE: Band of Brothers - 6/11/2009 1:02:19 PM   
sharkboy

I watched this last year on the run-up to Remembrance Sunday and I'm gonna do the same again this year.  While there are probably better movies to portray our own country's loss and heroism (A Bridge Too Far will probably get watched too), BoB just seems to capture and portray every aspect of war perfectly, from the loss of innocence to the outright courage in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

There's no better time to watch this show than over the next week or so.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 224
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/1/2010 1:11:44 PM   
Timon

Seems like Alton More wasn't the only one to steal Hitler's photo albums....

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 225
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 8/2/2010 4:57:13 PM   
Timon

Spielberg has hinted that there might be more WWII epic miniseries to come if me and The Hankster have their way. In an interview, The Berg said about how long The Pacific has been in production;

"I would say years. Longer than I actually remember. It was inevitable that we would do The Pacific with HBO because there was such an overwhelming response, not only from the general public that got very involved in Band of Brothers, but we got so much positive mail. At the same time, that mail said, "I was a veteran of the Solomons.” "I fought on Tarawa.” "I was at Midway.” We got so many letters of veterans from the Pacific Theater of Operations, asking us if we could acquit their stories the way we acquitted the stories of the European Theater of Operations.”

Futhermore, when asked about any future plans to develop WWII series, he hinted:

"There are many more stories to tell, and we're going to tell them.”

Speculation! N. Africa? Italy? Burma/Singapore? The Russian front? The bombing of Europe?

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 226
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 10:32:08 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

That's some of the best news I've heard in ages!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 227
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 10:38:58 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

I think I've just done a little wee with excitement.  The potential is limitless.  I'd love to see something focusing on both North Africa (my step-brothers' grandad was a Desert Rat) and Burma.  Through my job, I work with a Burma Star veterans association (wonderful, wonderful group of men) and they're often referred to as 'The Forgotten Army', so to see their stories told would be brilliant.  Sad to say though, they're a dying breed and such a programme would probably not be made until they've all gone...

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 228
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 10:56:39 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey
(my step-brothers' grandad was a Desert Rat)

Do you know if his life was saved by a mess-tin or if he saved a man's life with a tablespoon?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 229
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 11:01:00 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey
(my step-brothers' grandad was a Desert Rat)

Do you know if his life was saved by a mess-tin or if he saved a man's life with a tablespoon?

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 230
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 11:11:12 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Futhermore, when asked about any future plans to develop WWII series, he hinted:

Speculation! N. Africa? Italy? Burma/Singapore? The Russian front? The bombing of Europe?

Unfortunately, he's probably going to look for the theatres in which the US were primarily involved, so that probably rules out the N African/Russian angles.  Italy would be great - Montecassino and the attacks on the Winter Line would be one hell of a campaign to portray on the screen, the ultimate liberation of Rome would provide the spectacle.

Or what about a series based on Merrill's Marauders, the ranger group that fought deep behind enemy lines in the India/Burma campaign? Or the clandestine work of the OSS in Europe? 

EDIT - just thought of another tale that's just screaming out for the Spielberg treatment - The Flying Tigers - now that would be one hell of a show!

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 9/3/2010 11:43:03 AM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 231
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 11:47:38 AM   
Timon

I heard John Woo was tackling the Flying Tigers story...with Tom Cruise.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60374

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 232
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 12:48:23 PM   
sharkboy

So, since the Cruiser can't be the US Spitfire pilot who singlehandedly turned back the might of the Luftwaffe, he's going to be the US Warhawk pilot who defended the Chinese and British from the Japanese?

Actually (with a huge caveat that Woo has learned the lessons of Windtalkers and can make a decent war movie), I'm a bit stoked by the thought of a Flying Tigers movie - given it will focus on the story of Chennault, it has the potential for greatness.

WWLD?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 233
RE: Band of Brothers: N. Africa Campaign? - 9/3/2010 12:50:57 PM   
Timon

That's a point, whatever happened to The Few?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 234
RE: Band of Brothers - 9/4/2010 11:35:31 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I'd say it's the one DVD in my collection where the "extras" are more moving and compelling than the main feature! Who could watch Wild Bill's return to Foy without a tear as he recounts who stood where, who fell where and what was going on round him on that day?  The interviews with the surviving Easy soldiers that topped and tailed each episode also act as a massive reality check - just when you're viewing the show as entertainment, you hear the experiences of one of the people you've just watched parachute into hell, and the enormity of their sacrifice and immensity of their courage just washes over you.

In fact I've been to the outskirts of Foy when I visited Belgium last year as part of a 'Battle of the Bulge' battlefield tour. Here's some pictures I took of the Easy Company memorial and the nearby woods in which some of the action took place. Unfortunately the farmer who owns the lands doesn't permit anyone to tread through the woods, a little short-sighted if you ask me. Nonetheless it was surreal and sobering to realise real men had fought, bled, despaired, hoped and died on or near that piece of land. The last two shots which show woods in the distance were behind the memorial. I apologise for some of the out-of-focus shots. However we couldn't stay for long and of course we weren't allowed to venture far into the woods. I'm very grateful to have stood on the very ground on which 'Wild Bill' and the others of Easy Company had tread. When you look upon those trees and remember the scenes from the episode "The Breaking Point" you can only imagine a tiny fraction of the horror and dread they must have experienced whilst being mercilessly shelled. Furthermore, the tall and sheltering trees can quickly become deadly splinters once the artillery shells pummelled the area.

Some have suggested a mini-series ought to be made about the missions undertaken by British forces in the war. I think it would be great to see such a thing. The BBC produced a one-off docu-drama I believe titled "D-Day 6.6.1944"(*1) in 2004 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the D-Day landings. I can't remember if the battle for Pegasus Bridge was in it but I can't imagine it being omitted. In addition I remember the scenes filmed for the attack on the Merville Battery. A location which I have also visited and have photos from my visit there. Many of the casemates which housed the 100mm guns are still there. Now, the assault on Merville Battery is a fascinating story. Couple with the battle at Pegasus Bridge. These two key events could make for an interesting mini-series. How it would be done I'm not sure but their stories need to be told in-depth. It's interesting to note that Stephen E. Ambrose the author of the "Band of Brothers" of course also wrote an excellent book titled "Pegasus Bridge". So who knows? One famous man who sadly is no longer with us who was every bit of a man when he lived; Richard Todd took part in the battle for Pegasus Bridge. He was a Captain and part of the reinforcements that had to hold the bridge after he relieved the attacking force which had captured it.

I've had the honour of visiting Pegasus Bridge and I've been inside the famous Cafe Gondrée. A fascinating location.

*1 - there's a classic line in it: "Don't call your commanding officer a bloody fool!"

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 9/4/2010 11:40:44 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 235
RE: Band of Brothers - 10/4/2010 10:19:55 AM   
Timon

I went to the Cafe Gondree when I toured Normandy a few years ago. Lovely little place. Pegasus Bridge is a fantastic place to visit.

One a Band of Brother note, has everyone seen the new Warburton's advert with Talbot going to war... to deliver bread?

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 236
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/5/2010 3:19:44 PM   
clay_easton

I've one episode to go but i want to mention episode six of Band Of Brothers, ‘Bastogne’ The series so far has been incredible in it’s accuracy and strikingly vivid battle sequences and the character development is probably the most difficult aspect of the series to get to grips with as there are so many characters to focus upon and another viewing s essential but this episode tapped into that quite beautifully.

The episode I watched tonight was as intense and moving as anything I have seen in a while. Doc Roe point of view was devastatingly moving. his understanding of his surroundings and his almost evolving desensitization that occurs with every wound he has to sow up and with every morphine injection he makes. The episode got to me on an emotional level with the close ups of Eugene’s face, his eyes, sympathetic and naive at once and then steely and despondent as time passes but all the while never sacrificing the task in hand, never being consumed with self pity to let a fellow soldier suffer.

His relationship with a young nurse in the near by town is shot beautifully and not to give anything away but the resolution of that subplot breaks your heart. The episode just made me realise, once again, of the courage that these men and women dragged from somewhere inside them. It makes me realise that this was not a time were decisions and choices were indulged in with time and consideration, they were made at once and in the spirit of them being the right ones. It opens my eyes to the inexplicable horrors that existed in that time and  It’s courage, sacrifice and bravery on a scale I could never understand.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 237
RE: Band of Brothers - 1/7/2010 12:01:01 PM   
sharkboy

My office overlooks the Cenotaph in Belfast.  About half an hour ago, a couple of military bands appeared for a wreath-laying service.  After the 2-minute silence, the bugler played the Last Post, followed by the massed bands launching into the Band of Brothers theme - poignant and very moving stuff.

WWLD?

(in reply to clay_easton)
Post #: 238
RE: Band of Brothers - 1/7/2010 3:06:23 PM   
Base

I only got around to watching this a few weeks ago. I saw the first one a few years ago and just didn't get into it, but ploughed through them this time. Powerful, moving stuff...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to broonie)
Post #: 239
RE: Band of Brothers - 22/7/2010 12:19:34 PM   
Timon

So in the wake of Inception, is Tom Hardy (arguably) the most successful member of Easy Company?

Or Michael Fassbender?

Or James McAvoy?

Hell, or even Simon Pegg?

Unfortunately, most of the other actors are best known for TV roles or assorted guest parts in US series.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI