Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Band of Brothers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 2:52:55 PM   
Castor Troy

I wish I had a Band Of Brothers.

Does anyone remember watching the series when it was on TV? Was it well received? Big viewing figures? I kind of remember a big deal being made of it but I wasn't that interested in it at the time.

I also forgot all about that book by Webster - I really need to get it.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 91
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 2:56:53 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

I want to keep this alive thread forever.

I watched Crossroads (a great Winters episode - showing his vast knowledge of tactical deployment), Bastogne (a fantastic character study of the underrated Eugen Roe) and Breaking Point (my favourite episode) the other day. I'll be damned if I can't help but cry when Spiers runs through enemy lines to hook up with Fox (?) company. It's the look on Lipton's (who we haven't really spent much time with up til then) face that does it. And then the scene in the church is just perfection. Liptons talk with Spiers is great.

That bit with Spiers always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and makes me feel like jumping up to my feet and screaming "HELL YEAH!!" at the top of my voice. Band of Brothers is TV gold at it's very best.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 92
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 2:58:46 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

Does anyone remember watching the series when it was on TV?

Aye i taped it every week & waited in anticipation of that opening score, that was the deal clincher right there even before seeing any of the programme.

quote:

Was it well received? 

I have a bad memory so fuck knows, not that i'm bother though.

< Message edited by Peter Griffin -- 11/5/2007 2:59:50 PM >

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

Post #: 93
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:01:03 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

That bit with Spiers always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and makes me feel like jumping up to my feet and screaming "HELL YEAH!!" at the top of my voice. Band of Brothers is TV gold at it's very best.

I must now watch Band of Brothers this weekend.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 94
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:03:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

I must now watch Band of Brothers this weekend.

I watched it again recently. I'd forgotten how god damn awesome the series was. The best mini-series ever filmed IMO.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 95
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:15:47 PM   
Timon

quote:

I wish I had a Band Of Brothers.

Does anyone remember watching the series when it was on TV? Was it well received? Big viewing figures? I kind of remember a big deal being made of it but I wasn't that interested in it at the time.

I also forgot all about that book by Webster - I really need to get it.

Friday night became Band of Brothers night for me and my friends.

Solid viewing figures through its run but several episodes including Currahae and Bastogne were trimmed on BBC 2 due to long running times.

Well received though I do recall a Daily Mail article saying the Americans were showing themselves winning the war singlehandedly again. No, I don't think the writer had seen the series.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 96
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:21:05 PM   
Timon

quote:

I don't mean this in a argumentative way, but if you've only watched Band Of Brothers once, you haven't watched it. I'd seen the whole series, and then I got to uni and my house mate was talking about it and he knew everyone's names, what they did etc. You have to watch it all the way through a few times to really appreciate the characters, because they each pop up a few times and you forget you've seen them before.

Concured.

Characters like Popeye Wynn come and go so quickly on your first viewing then when he and others like Webster return to the company after getting wounded, you can't really remember them unlike those that stay all the way through - Winters, Nixon, Randleman, Malarky, Luz etc

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 97
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:21:14 PM   
Mojo

It was the first US TV show I remember watching, it blew me away, but in 2001 I was only like 13 or something stupid like that. I watched it each week and you have no idea how excited I was when I saw that blonde getting shagged. Her boobs were bouncing! BOUNCING!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 98
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:40:24 PM   
theram05

Loved it on tv, recorded it, and then my fiancé bought me the box set for Chrimbo so we could watch it together as she hadn't seen it, thus copper fastening her one'ness so to speak.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 99
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:44:23 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I want to keep this alive thread forever.

I watched Crossroads (a great Winters episode - showing his vast knowledge of tactical deployment), Bastogne (a fantastic character study of the underrated Eugen Roe) and Breaking Point (my favourite episode) the other day. I'll be damned if I can't help but cry when Spiers runs through enemy lines to hook up with Fox (?) company. It's the look on Lipton's (who we haven't really spent much time with up til then) face that does it. And then the scene in the church is just perfection. Liptons talk with Spiers is great.

Fucking right. It's such a triumphant moment. He's so brave and awesome and Lipton is so proud and astonished. Thinking about it makes me want to serve under him as leader of Easy rather than Winters.

No, what am I saying, forgive me Richard. But Ronald would have been so cool to serve under.

quote:

but several episodes including Currahae and Bastogne were trimmed on BBC 2 due to long running times

That's so crap! Two of the best episodes butchered. That's no way to keep the memory of these great men alive.

quote:

Characters like Popeye Wynn come and go so quickly on your first viewing then when he and others like Webster return to the company after getting wounded, you can't really remember them unlike those that stay all the way through - Winters, Nixon, Randleman, Malarky, Luz etc

Yeah I remember watching it for the first time, trying to think who Webster was when he came back after being wounded.

quote:

you have no idea how excited I was when I saw that blonde getting shagged. Her boobs were bouncing! BOUNCING!

Man, those sweet white titties. Who was it shagging her again? Whoever it was must have still had a hard on when they got caught and had to stand to attention.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 100
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:49:12 PM   
Timon

It was actor Tom Hardy who played Pvt Janovec who died in the jeep accident.

Post #: 101
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:50:42 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

It was actor Tom Hardy who played Pvt Janovec who died in the jeep accident.

You couldn't make it up...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 102
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:52:50 PM   
Timon

I could have....actor John Thomas....

I'm here all week.....

Post #: 103
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 3:58:47 PM   
Felix

Band of Brothers is one of those rare television series that continues to be absolutely perfect no matter how many times you watch it. Even David Schwimmer is great in it.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 104
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 4:03:02 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Band of Brothers is one of those rare television series that continues to be absolutely perfect no matter how many times you watch it. Even David Schwimmer is great in it.

Heh, I remember when it was first aired I watched Curahee and couldn't take to it at all because Capt. Sobel reminded me of "Red Ross". Plus it had Dexter from Press Gang in it as well so I couldn't take it seriously. Fast forward a few years and I couldn't get enough.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 105
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 4:11:39 PM   
Castor Troy

Everyone's underrated character?

Eugene Roe.

Post #: 106
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 4:14:30 PM   
Timon

How's Roe underrated? He had a whole episode dedicated to him.

It's all about Warren 'Skip' Muck

Post #: 107
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 4:20:41 PM   
Castor Troy

Yeah but that's the only time we really see him apart from Breaking Point. I guess you're right - he's just never mentioned much.

I might go for Welsh then - who features more in the book than the series.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 108
RE: Band of Brothers - 11/5/2007 4:25:01 PM   
Timon

Good call on Welsh.

How about 'Babe' Heffron? Talbot? Hashey? 'One Lung' McClung?

Post #: 109
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/5/2007 8:02:39 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Just about to watch The Last Patrol for the first time.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 110
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/5/2007 9:59:10 PM   
Taffy

Any more news on the Pacific series? I'm sure I read it was greenlit a few months back?

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 111
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/5/2007 10:05:30 PM   
furrybastard

It was greenlit about two weeks ago. There's a thread for it somewhere in this here forum 

Link to News Story

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 112
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/5/2007 4:40:12 PM   
Taffy

Top stuff, can't wait.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 113
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/5/2007 9:53:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Everyone's underrated character?

Eugene Roe.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 114
RE: Band of Brothers - 17/6/2007 11:23:29 PM   
Zaphod121

What a fool I have been, my borther has BOB an dvd and I just only today decided to start watching it, I've got through the first 3 parts today and what can I say but.... holy. fuck. Some of the best tv I have watched in recent years, extremly gripping, action filled and heart wrenching at the same time, must watch more.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 115
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/6/2007 3:07:35 PM   
Mr Gordo

Why We Fight was on RTE sometime last week, one of those episodes that stays ingrained in your mind as having not watched it in about 2-3 years I remembered nearly every scene.  Even the minor details like, "What a wonderful way to die".

One of the best shows ever.

Bored by the chore of saving face

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 116
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/6/2007 10:09:30 AM   
Castor Troy

I'm currently reading Webster's book 'Parachute Infantry' and I'm up to his return to Aldbourne after the inital drop on D-Day. He paints a really detailed picture of what it was like flying over the channel - stuffed in the plane just waiting to die basically. And also what it was like when he landed. Jumping from 300ft instead of 700ft, he landed in a flooded field, which luckily was only 3ft deep, but other soldiers weren't so lucky and died drowning. It's a great book so far, I'm just waiting him to mention some names I know.

(in reply to Mr Gordo)
Post #: 117
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/6/2007 1:34:14 PM   
Deviation

I have completely forgotten of this series, I saw it all, I loved but I don't remember much, except some brilliant moments/ have to rewtch again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 118
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/6/2007 1:47:58 PM   
Timon

Here's a question for the devoted. How long did it take you find Tom Hanks cameo as a British Commando in Crossroads. Took me a least four viewings.....

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 119
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/6/2007 1:50:10 PM   
Castor Troy

I didn't even know he had one!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI