Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Band of Brothers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 12:02:35 PM   
kennedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sserplla

It's a brilliant show, one of the best in the last 5/10 years

I think that a similar series should be made following the life of a british company in ww2 
starting with Dunkirk then the Middle East, France, etc.

anyone agree?

Absolutely!But since almost half of the BoB cast were british actors
how would you cast it without it looking like a british version of  BoB(if that made any sense)?

Founder of Empiria

Empiria - Empirically Perfect

"Remember boys, flies spread disease, so keep yours closed!"

"Don't do it! You're a young man!"

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 31
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 12:10:50 PM   
kennedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

If you loved this series and have an interest in the space program, can i recommend FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON - a 10 part mini series from Tom Hanks et al about the Apollo missions. It's just as good as Band Of Brothers and likewise has a HUGE host of actors in it including Cary Elwes, Steve Zahn, Ronny Cox, Sally Field, Tony Goldwyn and tons others. Can't recommend it enough.

What a coincidence - I've just finished watching this again, having been inspired to do so by Andrew White's book Moon Dust.  In many ways it was the precursor to BoB - it was after making Apollo 13 and realising that he'd only told a small part of the story that Hanks floated the idea of a TV series about the Apollo programme to HBO.  Likewise, Saving Private Ryan inspired Hanks and Spielberg to once again approach HBO for a chance to tell more of the tale of D-Day and beyond.

The DVD box set of From The Earth To The Moon was the first DVD i ever bought, even before I'd bought a DVD player to play them on (there was no VHS release, and Channel 4 had once again screwed around with the scheduling which led to it being shown on different times and days each week, with the final show being broadcast at 11.00 on a Saturday morning!) Unfortunately my DVDs didn't survive the escape from marital hell but once I found a R1 release, it was snapped up!  I'll echo Timon's recommendation - before BoB came along this was hands down the best factual drama out there IMO.
Sounds interesting might have to take a look.

Founder of Empiria

Empiria - Empirically Perfect

"Remember boys, flies spread disease, so keep yours closed!"

"Don't do it! You're a young man!"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 32
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 11:05:56 PM   
Stalla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I always get excited when i see a member of Easy Company in other tv shows these days - like Marlarky in ER, Joe Toye was an air marshall in 24, Bull has turned up in Prison Break, Lost and Sleeper Cell and Wild Bill was in Catch Me If You Can....and Bad Boys with a very comical mustache.

you should watch boomtown then...as i recall guarnier, luz, malarkey, anddonnie wahlberg (forgot his name!!!) are all in it at some point or another

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 33
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 11:17:31 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

and donnie wahlberg (forgot his name!!!)

Lipton

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 34
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 11:19:48 PM   
Stalla

carwood! Thankyou!

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 35
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/7/2006 1:59:06 AM   
RockyWilcox

Just going through this series again. Watched 'Day Of Days' last night. The jump is as terrifying as always, the execution of the German prisoners equally shocking (More to do with the American born German explaining his reasons for fighting for the enemy), the destroying of the guns is quite tame compared to the missions they do later in the series, but a fantastic episode and I can't wait to watch the remaining episodes.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 36
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/7/2006 10:25:04 AM   
theram05

I watched the final episode of this on RTE tv again the other day, I was flicking and I came across it late one night. I've always loved the final scenes of it, from the German General adressing his men, calling them Band of Brothers, to the voice over by Damien explaining where everyone went to after the war, and how varied their lives became, to the moment at the end where when answering as to wheter he was a hero, and saying no but he served with them, man if this lot didnt make you cry nothing would. A fantastic mini series, words can't describe the beauty in the horror that is BoB.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to RockyWilcox)
Post #: 37
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/7/2006 10:47:40 AM   
Zaphod121

I never seen this, but my brother has the dvds, should I watch it?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 38
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/7/2006 11:14:07 AM   
lord of the pies

Have you not read this thread?

Join The Church of JJ today!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=23&key=&NID=0#2414995

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 39
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/7/2006 11:21:02 AM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: lord of the pies

no, but Im guessing Band Of Brothers gets lots of praise...... I'll go watch it

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to lord of the pies)
Post #: 40
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/7/2006 11:32:21 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: lord of the pies

no, but Im guessing Band Of Brothers gets lots of praise...... I'll go watch it

Watch it, you won't be disappointed.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 41
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/7/2006 3:06:23 PM   
Castor Troy

Currently rewatching the series, so thought I'd resurrect the thread to talk about it.

I've just finished watching Bastogne and up to this point in the series, I think it is that and Day Of Days that are my favourite, along with Currahee maybe, because I love all the stuff with Sobel.

What's everyone else's favourite episodes? Top 3 if you like.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 42
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/7/2006 4:28:31 PM   
Stalla

yeah my fav eps are bastogne, and i think the penultimate episode

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 43
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/7/2006 8:07:35 PM   
Castor Troy

Forgot how amazing Breaking Point is. The attack on Foy has to be the highlight of the series - seeing Spiers run through enemy lines and back again never fails to bring a tear to my eye for some reason.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 44
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/7/2006 8:37:49 PM   
RockyWilcox

Yeah, love that bit. What makes it so good I think is it is told from Lipton's point of view, and it's his narrative, if they had just shoved a camera on Spiers and had him jump over the wall to communicate with the other company, you might think it is a little far fetched and doubt it happened.

The next scene is also fantastic, in the church when the choir are singing for the soldiers, and the soldiers who have either been killed or injured disappear from the seats is really touching. Also Spiers telling Lipton of his promotion humanises him, as up to that point he'd only been seen as a cold hearted killing machine.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

Post #: 45
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/7/2006 8:57:09 PM   
TUPAC AMARU

Is Bastogne the one focusing on the medic eugene? If so i agree thats my personal best episode although Carentan is superb too

Post #: 46
RE: Band of Brothers - 29/7/2006 9:10:04 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

The next scene is also fantastic, in the church when the choir are singing for the soldiers, and the soldiers who have either been killed or injured disappear from the seats is really touching. Also Spiers telling Lipton of his promotion humanises him, as up to that point he'd only been seen as a cold hearted killing machine.

I was going to mention that in my post but forgot. It is indeed a fantastic scene. A nice breather after the intensity of Bastogne and Foy. I love the scene between Spiers and Lipton - especially the part where Spiers says why he doesn't put the rumours of him to rest. There's a theme of leadership running through the whole episode which is great - Dyke's inability to lead, Winters desire to lead Easy, Lipton having no choice but to lead and Spiers doing a damn fine job of taking over.

Post #: 47
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 10:54:00 AM   
Castor Troy

The Last Patrol is a really good episode as well. It's really interesting to see how they treat Webster because he wasn't involved in Bastogne - although, some members of Easy come across a bit twattish sometimes becuase of it - much like they did with the replacements.

Post #: 48
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 10:57:33 AM   
Mozza

I really need to rewatch this-my brother has the DVDs still!

But my favourite episode is still Currahee.  Some great dialogue and a pitch perfect "calm before the storm" ending.

Post #: 49
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 3:41:57 PM   
Castor Troy

I suggest everyone should go and start watching the series again. I've never enjoyed it as much as I just have.

Let's have some pictures.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 50
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 3:52:36 PM   
RockyWilcox

Castor, you only watched it again because I recently did. You're not Spiers, you're not even Malarkey. You're Pvt. Cobb, the one who is the bastard to the replacements.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

Post #: 51
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 4:55:26 PM   
potus

Isn't he the same guy off those WKD ads?

"But what I say to you, Glasgow, is could an invisible cloud of shit-smelling gas with its own Channel 4 show be any less funny than the Friday Night Project?"

Post #: 52
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 5:44:36 PM   
Stalla

yes!

(in reply to potus)
Post #: 53
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 5:54:55 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RockyWilcox

Castor, you only watched it again because I recently did. You're not Spiers, you're not even Malarkey. You're Pvt. Cobb, the one who is the bastard to the replacements.

You're Hoobs. Except you would shoot yourself in the penis and not your leg - and not becuase it's so big.

Just found out about this book after looking at some of the guys on Wikipedia:

Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

I'll definately be getting that at some point.

Post #: 54
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 5:58:02 PM   
RockyWilcox

I'd rather shoot myself in the penis than look like a penis to the rest of the company. I still died by an enemy's gun as well. I'm a hero.

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

Post #: 55
RE: Band of Brothers - 30/7/2006 6:06:31 PM   
Castor Troy

Let's stop this fighting. How are we expected to fight the Germans, if all we're doing is fighting each other?

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Post #: 56
RE: Band of Brothers - 31/7/2006 10:17:40 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Let's stop this fighting. How are we expected to fight the Germans, if all we're doing is fighting each other?

Shall be my brother

Beautiful.......

Post #: 57
RE: Band of Brothers - 31/7/2006 4:10:45 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

Shall be my brother

Beautiful.......

Thanks, I wrote it myself.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 58
RE: Band of Brothers - 31/7/2006 9:35:18 PM   
RockyWilcox

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

Shall be my brother

Beautiful.......

Thanks, I wrote it myself.

And there's just one reason among a catalogue why I would never fight alongside Troy in war.

"Is the path clear, Private Troy?!"

"Sir, Yes sir!"

*I get up out of my foxhole, only to be fired upon by the enemy standing less than five yards away*

"Sorry sir. I lied, sir!"

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

Post #: 59
RE: Band of Brothers - 31/7/2006 9:55:25 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

For some reason there has always been one line thats stuck in my head, and I've not watched the series for a couple of years now either!
Its the last words from Winters to Sobel, as Sobel is about to walk right past him....

"Captain Sobel, we salute the uniform, not the man!"

Sobel is SO bitter about the whole thing, its a great bit of 'put-you-in-your-place' dialogue!

And Bastogne I think is one of my fave episodes, but I think its high time I rewatched the series.....

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 June 15, 2008

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI