Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Band of Brothers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Band of Brothers - 3/6/2011 2:52:13 PM   
Timon

Also most of the cast are reuniting for a charity parachute jump!

http://jumpingforheroes.blogspot.com/

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 301
RE: Band of Brothers - 5/6/2011 1:40:47 PM   
Sway

For a minute I thought it was the vets doing the jump and was like, 'woah is that healthy for those that are remaining?'....

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 302
RE: Band of Brothers - 9/9/2011 2:50:19 PM   
Timon

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-et-band-of-brothers-20110908,0,1628152.story

Band of Brothers reunion and a 'Where are they now?' piece in the LA Times.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 303
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/10/2011 10:27:43 AM   
jcthefirst

Started watching this again with the missus as she's never seen it.

3 minutes in, once the theme starts, and I'm welling up. I'll be a wreck by the last episode.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 304
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/10/2011 11:57:45 AM   
sharkboy

For those who haven't seen them (or have yet to upgrade their copies to Blu), there's a BoB/Pacific box set coming out next month, that Amazon are selling for a mere £36:

It also includes a new 60-minute documentary, "Called to Service", that includes interviews with veterans from Easy Co. and 1st Marine Division.  While the packaging isn't as nice as the tins, it's still a pretty decent price for both series, especially with the addition of the new material.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 12/10/2011 11:59:45 AM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 305
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/10/2011 12:05:51 PM   
Timon

Holy shit, that's lovely - but I already have both tinned Blu Ray sets. D'oh.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 306
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/10/2011 12:09:04 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Wow!

Think I've going to have to invest in that seeing as I don't have either in Blu

Quick question, I notice a lot of these BD box sets are region free. Will they play on a PS3?

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 12/10/2011 12:10:38 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 307
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/10/2011 12:21:15 PM   
Timon

Yes. They will for I have one.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 308
RE: Band of Brothers - 12/10/2011 12:27:17 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Excellent!

Duly ordered

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 309
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/10/2011 8:21:41 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I haven't got the Pacific on Blu yet so I'm tempted to buy this and then flog my BoB Blu on ebay to recoup some of the cost. Fantastic price.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 310
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/10/2011 11:21:30 AM   
sharkboy

I'm considering the eBay route too; the only thing stopping me is that both mine are the tinned editions and the tins are rather nice.  Hmm...dilemmas, dilemmas!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 311
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/10/2011 12:18:01 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Just finished the final two episodes and both left me all misty-eyed. The very last scene, with E company playing baseball I find to be incredibly sad and oddly uplifting. It's just a shame that a few of the men were left out of Winters' narration.

It is a show that benefits from watching a few times though. I think the first time I saw it, I was still unsure as to who certain people were halfway through the series (and it must be said, that the details and processes of ranks and military organisation still puzzles me a bit)

It's been a long time since I enjoyed watching a TV show so much, certainly in my top 3 shows. Excellent.

If you look at the wikipedia page for the town of Foy, featured in episode 7, there are some photos of the monument to Easy Company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foy,_Belgium

And what happened to Sgt Ranney, played by Stephen Graham. He was in the first twp episodes, and was involved in the fight at Brecourt, but not after that and I don't recall seeing him die.

I actually visited Foy as part of a Battle of the Bulge battlefield tour two years ago. I have some pictures here for anyone who's interested:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/597/1313036xeapdeoq.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4083/1313425namirn3f.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1435/1313619ku4ohnrj.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/603/1313730istdgs9p.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2037/1313914cspgmnol.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6879/13131140x5lud2n5.jpg

The last one is overlooking the memorial to the other side of the clearing, the woods as seen in the last but one photo are behind me in that shot.

"BoB" is a fantastic series and certainly the best one I've ever seen. I have both the DVD and Blu-ray box sets (embossed)! I watched a few episodes of "The Pacific" and I couldn't quite take to it. There was one very good episode where they're enjoying some R'n'R in Australia and you see how they try to explore relationships with women, and how one lady broke it off with a marine as she didn't want her mother to be heartbroken if he was killed. But for some reason, I wasn't compelled to keep watching. I wasn't sure whether some of the sex thrown in was just there for titillation, which is kind of the norm these days.

I do think there's potential for a two/four-part adaptation of Stephen E. Ambrose's "Pegasus Bridge":

I've been to the site of Pegasus Bridge (well technically it's a replica as they removed it and rebuilt the bridge) and of course to Café Gondrée. Amazing how they landed those Horsa gliders exactly where they wanted to and pull off that attack.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 13/10/2011 12:26:08 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 312
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/10/2011 12:44:17 PM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Just finished the final two episodes and both left me all misty-eyed. The very last scene, with E company playing baseball I find to be incredibly sad and oddly uplifting. It's just a shame that a few of the men were left out of Winters' narration.

It is a show that benefits from watching a few times though. I think the first time I saw it, I was still unsure as to who certain people were halfway through the series (and it must be said, that the details and processes of ranks and military organisation still puzzles me a bit)

It's been a long time since I enjoyed watching a TV show so much, certainly in my top 3 shows. Excellent.

If you look at the wikipedia page for the town of Foy, featured in episode 7, there are some photos of the monument to Easy Company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foy,_Belgium

And what happened to Sgt Ranney, played by Stephen Graham. He was in the first twp episodes, and was involved in the fight at Brecourt, but not after that and I don't recall seeing him die.

I actually visited Foy as part of a Battle of the Bulge battlefield tour two years ago. I have some pictures here for anyone who's interested:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/597/1313036xeapdeoq.jpg

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4083/1313425namirn3f.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1435/1313619ku4ohnrj.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/603/1313730istdgs9p.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2037/1313914cspgmnol.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6879/13131140x5lud2n5.jpg

The last one is overlooking the memorial to the other side of the clearing, the woods as seen in the last but one photo are behind me in that shot.

"BoB" is a fantastic series and certainly the best one I've ever seen. I have both the DVD and Blu-ray box sets (embossed)! I watched a few episodes of "The Pacific" and I couldn't quite take to it. There was one very good episode where they're enjoying some R'n'R in Australia and you see how they try to explore relationships with women, and how one lady broke it off with a marine as she didn't want her mother to be heartbroken if he was killed. But for some reason, I wasn't compelled to keep watching. I wasn't sure whether some of the sex thrown in was just there for titillation, which is kind of the norm these days.

I do think there's potential for a two/four-part adaptation of Stephen E. Ambrose's "Pegasus Bridge":

I've been to the site of Pegasus Bridge (well technically it's a replica as they removed it and rebuilt the bridge) and of course to Café Gondrée. Amazing how they landed those Horsa gliders exactly where they wanted to and pull off that attack.

I'd definately recommend sticking with The Pacific. Whilst it's not as good as Band Of Borthers it really picks up when the Marines land in Peleliu and is definately worth watching.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 313
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/10/2011 12:02:13 PM   
jcthefirst

Watched Carentan last night. A fantastic episode but it also contains my only gripe with the entire series. During the battle when the tanks show up, a German solider is shot, and while crawling away gets crushed by a tank.

It's a stupid, almost action movie, comedy death moment (even though it's horrible), and it really takes me out of the scene for some reason. It feels like there should be a trumpet 'wah wah' straight after it.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 314
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/10/2011 10:39:34 PM   
Emyr Thy King

theieuan, the episode where they rest and recuperate in Australia. I guess that's more of a standalone when compared to the rest of the series? Seeing as after that one, they're off fighting in the pacific again? I thought it was quite an affecting episode as it shows how they were lonely and being far away from home meant that they could find solace for a shortwhile, before being shipped off to one of the islands again.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 315
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/10/2011 12:42:37 PM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

theieuan, the episode where they rest and recuperate in Australia. I guess that's more of a standalone when compared to the rest of the series? Seeing as after that one, they're off fighting in the pacific again? I thought it was quite an affecting episode as it shows how they were lonely and being far away from home meant that they could find solace for a shortwhile, before being shipped off to one of the islands again.

The next episode after the Melbourne episode, Pavuvu, is pretty similar in terms of the emotional strain of combat and is pretty good. It looks at the conditions that the Marines have to live in and how they cope with it.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 316
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/10/2011 3:20:20 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: theieuan

The next episode after the Melbourne episode, Pavuvu, is pretty similar in terms of the emotional strain of combat and is pretty good. It looks at the conditions that the Marines have to live in and how they cope with it.

Personally, I'd put the Okinawa episodes right up there with the best of BoB for showing the strain and horrors of war.  There were some truly disturbing images in that one - Sledge's friend flipping stones into the bloody brain pan of a dead japanese soldier sticks in my mind!

WWLD?

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 317
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/10/2011 4:27:37 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: theieuan

Personally, I'd put the Okinawa episodes right up there with the best of BoB for showing the strain and horrors of war.  There were some truly disturbing images in that one - Sledge's friend flipping stones into the bloody brain pan of a dead japanese soldier sticks in my mind!

That scene with Snafu always sticks in my mind as well....

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 318
RE: Band of Brothers - 24/10/2011 12:09:15 PM   
jcthefirst

The Breaking Point. Perhaps the finest hour (and 9 minutes) of television drama ever committed to film.

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 319
RE: Band of Brothers - 24/10/2011 2:25:02 PM   
Rgirvan44

Is BoB worth an upgrade to BR?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 320
RE: Band of Brothers - 24/10/2011 2:40:48 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

The Breaking Point. THE finest hour (and 9 minutes) of television drama ever committed to film.

Fixed that for you

quote:

I saw a noticble increase in picture detail and sound quality, and for the price it's going for these days makes it a no brainer. To be honest it's probably worth it just for the picture-in-picture video commentaries....

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 321
RE: Band of Brothers - 24/10/2011 2:45:20 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I'd say definitely. It's one of the few TV boxsets/Films I own both DVD and Blu Ray of.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 322
RE: Band of Brothers - 24/10/2011 3:17:49 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

The Breaking Point. THE finest hour (and 9 minutes) of television drama ever committed to film.

Fixed that for you

It really does have everything though. You go through the emotional wringer like no other episode before or after.

quote:

quote:

I saw a noticble increase in picture detail and sound quality, and for the price it's going for these days makes it a no brainer. To be honest it's probably worth it just for the picture-in-picture video commentaries....

Still have to watch that.

And yes, undoubtedly worth the upgrade. Especially for the price it's going at.

@Jonny_C85

Post #: 323
RE: Band of Brothers - 6/11/2011 11:12:58 PM   
Hobbitonlass

It's been despatched Should get it tomorrow!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 324
RE: Band of Brothers - 1/1/2012 8:46:21 PM   
kata

Picked up the Blu-ray set for 17 quid on Amazon, going to kick off a re-watch tonight.  Must have been about 5 years since I last watched it.  Couldn't say no at 17 quid.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 325
RE: Band of Brothers - 2/1/2012 9:35:11 AM   
DancingClown

I've wanted to get into this but I am reluctant as I've heard it suffers from typical American bias and most of the British characters they encounter are portrayed badly. Any truth to this?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 326
RE: Band of Brothers - 2/1/2012 9:47:30 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I've wanted to get into this but I am reluctant as I've heard it suffers from typical American bias and most of the British characters they encounter are portrayed badly. Any truth to this?

There are only a few Brit characters featured here and there and they seemed to be portrayed in a fairly decent style (Nerd-favourites Simon Pegg and Tom Hardy have blink-and-you'll-miss-it scenes too).  I mean, that doesn't bother me. It's still my favourite U.S. made TV/Mini-Series of all time.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 327
RE: Band of Brothers - 2/1/2012 11:28:29 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

There are only a few Brit characters featured here and there and they seemed to be portrayed in a fairly decent style (Nerd-favourites Simon Pegg and Tom Hardy have blink-and-you'll-miss-it scenes too).  I mean, that doesn't bother me. It's still my favourite U.S. made TV/Mini-Series of all time.

Snake Eyes is referring to British actors that still play Americans.

As for actually British troops, the company meet a Cockney who likes Lugers, an uptight tank commander and a large group of British commandos who are grateful for American aid and they all enjoy a hearty piss up.

So what you've heard is very wrong. It's not a series about the whole of WWII, it's about following a specific company and where they were sent during the war, it's just so happens they were American.

< Message edited by Timon -- 2/1/2012 12:22:51 PM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 328
RE: Band of Brothers - 2/1/2012 1:15:34 PM   
kata

Watched 4 episodes last night, I knew it would get its talons in me.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 329
RE: Band of Brothers - 3/1/2012 9:47:14 AM   
kata

Watched Bastogne and The breaking point last night, immense.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI