Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Band of Brothers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 4:33:53 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 271
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 4:41:32 PM   
Felix

It actually gives me faith that darth silas didnt like it. It reaffirms its position as one of the greatest TV shows ever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

As for the Pacific...

I did not care for it.

How can you even say that?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 272
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 4:48:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

It just wasn't very good. And that isn't even in comparison to BoB. On its own terms there were serious story telling issues at the heart of The Pacific that destroyed it for me.

And I'm one of those guys who had been waiting for The Pacific the moment the final episode of BoB ended.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 273
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 4:49:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

Oh wait. I get it now!

Touche sir! Touche...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 274
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 5:35:41 PM   
Felix

ROBERT DUVALL!!!

I was disappointed with The Pacific too. As 10 seperate episodes it was good, but the whole series was a let down.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 275
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 5:42:42 PM   
Felix

And it insists upon itself...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 276
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 7:47:19 PM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

So I recently watched this series for the first time on blu ray and I'm sorry to say I found the whole thing a bit..well..meh.

I struggled through it to be honest.Sure,it was well made,the acting was fine and there are some great battles,but the episodes on the whole were fairly boring as not much really happened.

Except for the whole invasion of Nazi-occupied Europe from June 1944 till the end of the war....

Yes, yes, respect everyone's point of view but you sir, are a fool.

Good day!

Well Ti,im sorry to say that everone is entitled to an opinion and my opinion is that Band Of Brothers is overated.Yes,the series chronicled the invasion of Nazi occupied europe but as the whole series played out there wasnt much actiual drama going on.One episode in particular consisted of the soldiers dug in foxholes.Every now and then there was a mortar attack,someone was injured badly and someone shouted MEDIC!! a hundred times.That was basically the whole episode.Again,i realise this is what the soldiers went through in reality but it made for tedious viewing.

In the final episode,the war is over,Easy Company show up and accept the Nazis surrender,Tom Hardy dies in a car accident and the guys play football.The End.Not exactly riveting viewing.

Maybe its because it was so highly rated by people here and in general that it raised my expectations too much.

A very unmemorable series.Sorry.I do love Saving Private Ryan though.

Oh, I didn't want to bite, I really didn't, but the bit in bold defies belief. 

You were aware of the title of the series, right? Band of Brothers?  The clue is kinda all in there.  That the series managed to strike a perfect balance between incredible, breath taking action and the best character drama in any t.v show out there is an impressive feat.   The series is meant to be about the men.   The brotherhood.   Intense and life long friendships are made from intense situations like war.   You have missed the point entirely if you think them sitting in fox holes for an hour with occasional action is tedious.   It's about their friendships, fears, dreams, integrity, and character.  It's about how they cope with hell on earth because of friendships borne out of situations you or I can't even begin to imagine.  War is an absolute savage beast.  If you want to see non-stop war action, I have a huge collection I could recommend films from, but this series painfully chronicles what the beast does to individual men within one company, and in turn what happens when the company ceases to be a group of soldiers but a genuine band of brothers.  I have watched this series countless times, and have still yet to remain dry-eyed at the very final utterances of Dick Winters.  All I can say is if you were left bored at the end of this amazing series then you're cold man.  Very cold.

Or maybe the series just wasnt very well written? Im not saying the series was absolute rubbish,the production values were top knotch and the battles that were featured were brilliantly staged,but i just myself stuggling to finish watching all the episodes.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 277
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 8:08:30 PM   
Deviation

I second the Godzilla facepalm. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 278
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 9:05:06 PM   
Incanus

The first time I watched BoB, I was pretty much thinking like my friend Silas [waves], that it had probably all the essentials to be great, but that there was also this dull quality in it occasionally.

As I rewatched it, however, I seemed to realise that perhaps it wasn't the series, but the fact that I had watched it originally very very very late at night, and I was already feeling tired, so I had missed out on much of the deliberately non-spectacular stuff, but greatly important, as Sway has pointed out.

I think sometimes it's not the object before us, but us before the object that may make all the difference; I'm not saying that Silas was not able to appreciate it because he was feeling tired, like I had been --there need not be a single reason for it, applicable invariably to all and anyone--, but I think his view does not seem unreasonable, in that I can relate to where he's coming from, speaking from experience.

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 279
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 9:16:37 PM   
demoncleaner

Anyone know when The Pacific is out on DVD?  I watched the first two episodes when Sky were giving it away for free and didn't think much of it...though I was fairly drunk, so it didn't get a fair deal.

Anyone who doesn't like Band of Brothers make sure to donate yourself to medical science - that's a physiological curiosity right there indeed.

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 280
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 9:33:05 PM   
Castor Troy

Silias saying there isn't anything to BoB other than battles is like him saying my emotions are nothing. I shed tears over that shit. How did you feel nothing when Spiers runs through enemy lines to link up with Fox Company. Or when Eugene Roe uses the sexy nurses' head scarf as a bandage. Or when Spiers is telling Lipton 'these men have always had a leader' in the church. Or when Winters commands the attack on the guns on D-Day. Or when that drunkard kills someone after the war has ended. Every episode is full of awesome character moments acted to perfection. It's closest thing to going through a war with a group of men that we're going to experience. And the story arc of the whole thing is amazing - pre D-Day to the end of the war with most of the same men, taking part in most of the major operations.

Currahee mother fucker!!

< Message edited by Castor Troy -- 20/9/2010 9:34:57 PM >

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 281
RE: Band of Brothers - 20/9/2010 10:05:01 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Or when Spiers is telling Lipton 'these men have always had a leader' in the church.

Probably the single best moment in the entire series.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 282
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 12:13:03 PM   
darth silas

Gladly traded in the Blu Ray of this boring overated show yesterday.Got me a copy of GTA:Episodes from Liberty City Instead.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 283
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 12:13:51 PM   
Felix

Good. It should have been confiscated from you anyway, you fool.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 284
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 12:19:01 PM   
CORLEONE

Got this to watch when I finish The Shield boxset. Looking forward.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 285
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 12:20:57 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 286
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 12:28:07 PM   
darth silas

quote:

Youre MR.T arent you?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 287
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 2:12:19 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

Anyone know when The Pacific is out on DVD?  I watched the first two episodes when Sky were giving it away for free and didn't think much of it...though I was fairly drunk, so it didn't get a fair deal.

Anyone who doesn't like Band of Brothers make sure to donate yourself to medical science - that's a physiological curiosity right there indeed.

Region 2 sets are available on 1 November, Region 1 the next day.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 288
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 3:18:35 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Too true!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 289
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 7:51:25 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

That soon?  Happy days!

Region 2 sets are available on 1 November, Region 1 the next day.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 290
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 11:56:54 PM   
krudler

Is the blu-ray worth buying? I have the dvd since it was first released in the metal tin and have watched it about 6 or 7 times now, wouldnt mind hearing the Easy Company commentary though

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 291
RE: Band of Brothers - 21/9/2010 11:58:43 PM   
krudler

quote:

Lol, there are two kinds of people, those who love Band of Brothers, and,well...idiots.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 292
RE: Band of Brothers - 22/9/2010 12:06:17 PM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

Lol, there are two kinds of people, those who love Band of Brothers, and,well...idiots.

You forgot to mention the third kind of people,those who insult others in a childish fashion because they dont like what they like.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 293
RE: Band of Brothers - 9/1/2011 10:32:48 AM   
Lang

quote:

Is the blu-ray worth buying? I have the dvd since it was first released in the metal tin and have watched it about 6 or 7 times now, wouldnt mind hearing the Easy Company commentary though

Yes Sir it's worth it!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 294
RE: Band of Brothers - 9/1/2011 4:16:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

You forgot to mention the third kind of people,those who insult others in a childish fashion because they dont like what they like.

This is rather funny coming from you.

Post #: 295
RE: Band of Brothers - 10/1/2011 12:14:30 PM   
simonmckergan1

RIP Major Winters.

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 296
RE: Band of Brothers - 10/1/2011 4:17:59 PM   
Jeffrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

RIP Major Winters.

RIP Major Winters

He actually died a week ago but his family kept it a secret so that his funeral could be private.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_who_inspired_band.html

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 297
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/5/2011 12:02:05 PM   
Timon

Saw this advertised and contemplated picking it up - till I saw the trailer.

I love a low-budget WWII film as much as the next man (I love Saints and Soldiers), but this just looks awful. AWFUL.

http://pathfindersfilm.com/home/home.html

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 298
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/5/2011 4:23:23 PM   
boaby

quote:

quote:

Youre MR.T arent you?

Mr. T doesn't say "you", fool!

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 299
RE: Band of Brothers - 3/6/2011 11:55:56 AM   
Timon

With X-Men: First Class now out, let's look back at when Magneto and Charles Xavier served in Easy Company. Awwww. So young.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Band of Brothers Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI