Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Band of Brothers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Band of Brothers Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Band of Brothers - 10/10/2005 4:39:10 PM   
broonie

Without doubt one of the best tv series ever to come out of America. I remember seeing it a few years back and was totally blown away with the whole series.I know a lot of cynics will say that this series and Saving Private Ryan make out as if America fought WWII on their own but it's not the case here.It's just simply telling us what it was like for everyone who had to endure the horrors of fighting in that war.I thoroughly recommend that if any of you get the chance to see this series again then do so.I was fortunate enough to get this box set from WH Smith for only 25.
Post #: 1
RE: Band of Brothers - 13/4/2006 4:07:14 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Has anyone else read the book?

Numerous times. I'm a big fan of military/history books.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 2
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 11:34:31 AM   
Trapman9

I watched the series and then i bought and read the book.I am interested in anything concerning WW2 and the book was awesome!The series are quite faithful to the book and actually there is a paragraph there where you get the real story behind the Saving Private Ryan script.So you can actually say that SPR was based on a true story!
Concerning the series it is so good that i have already watched it four times and i intend to watch it again this Easter.That is almost sixty hours of my life!!!
You should also read Citizen Soldiers by Ambrose.It is the perfect supplement.
And anyone that hasn't bought the dvd's yet should get the tin boxset.It is so cooooool...

We're gonna need a bigger boat...
Post #: 3
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 11:50:16 AM   
Diamond Joe

That scene wee Spears is running between lines is brilliant!! i've seen the series twice now and it jsut gets better!! i got the cheap case on cdwow ages ago and i'm so tempted to get the swanky tin one...must be strong!!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Post #: 4
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 3:14:33 PM   
Spartacus

I remember when this was on tv and I thought it would be jsut another dodgy mini series and end up crap. Then we bought the dvd for my dad as a present and I sat and watched it with him. I was utterly gobsmacked at how good it was. I'm also not afraid to say that there were some scenes that made me cry, particularly the episode "Why we fight" and the very last one with the interviews at the end. I reckon I must have seen this series about 5 times now and it doesn't get any worse, as soon as my new lcd tv turns up it's going on again with the full surround sound experience

The Emperor... wants to conquer outer space. Yoda... wants to explore inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the light and dark side of the force.

(in reply to Diamond Joe)
Post #: 5
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 4:31:37 PM   
sserplla

It's a brilliant show, one of the best in the last 5/10 years

I think that a similar series should be made following the life of a british company in ww2 
starting with Dunkirk then the Middle East, France, etc.

anyone agree?

tell me what's on your, so-called, mind....

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 6
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 7:53:43 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

Without doubt one of the best tv series ever to come out of America

It was a BBC production as well...

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 7
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 8:32:58 PM   
sserplla

A lot of the actors were English like Damon Lewis, Dexter Fletcher, i don't know any of their names but the ones who played Liebgott, Hobb (he was also in a lottery advert) and Hoobler (he was in a WKD advert). are all british.
there's probably more.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 8
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 8:34:16 PM   
RockyWilcox

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

quote:

Without doubt one of the best tv series ever to come out of America

It was a BBC production as well...

Filmed outside of America as well.....

GRAW Friction Vol.1
GRAW Friction Vol.2

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 9
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 8:45:19 PM   
Stalla

winters, welsh, martin, liebgott, roe, hoobler, heffron, talbert, blithe, popeye, o'keefe, Sisk, janovec (of the main-ish guys) were all british. Anyone more minor would most likely have been british too coz it was cheaper (or they werent allowed to bring over so many americans...i cant remember what the reasons were). The other mojor characters were almost all american.

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

(in reply to RockyWilcox)
Post #: 10
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 9:14:31 PM   
sserplla

WOW never new there was THAT many

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 11
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 9:22:11 PM   
Stalla

yeah, i cant remember what the exact reason was, but because they were filming mainly in england they couldnt bring so many foreign actors (couldnt remember whether it cost too much, something to do with working visas, law, i dunno but there was a legit reason for it).

its really cool. e.g. martin was in press gang and lock stock, blythe is in hustle, liebgott was in csi NY, winters was in everything, one of the minor guys is in the wkd adverts, i think talbert is in an advert of some sort as well as being in renford rejects oh so many years ago.

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 12
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 9:34:02 PM   
Castor Troy

Everyone's favourite character? Gotta be Spears or Winters for me.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 13
RE: Band of Brothers - 18/4/2006 9:41:54 PM   
Stalla

oof! Spears was dark and sexy, liebgott was feisty, lipton was loyal, malarkey matured most over the experience, nixon was sarcy, winters was by the book and honest...it's too hard! it depends which episode it is!

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 14
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/4/2006 6:30:47 PM   
sserplla

Guarnere, Malarkey, Webster and Winters are my faves

speaking of the cast being mostly from the UK i've noticed that in general british actors pull off better american accents than (some) american actors performing british accents. Most memorable are Dick Van Dyke's awful cockney accent in Mary Poppins and Don Cheadle's accent (also cockney) in Ocean's Eleven

is there a difference between the band of brothers tin boxset and the normal boxset(which i own)?

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 15
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/4/2006 7:23:51 PM   
Stalla

thing ois though we think their american accents are better than americans doing english accents, but americans probably think the complete opposite! its difficult to say. Me, having lived my entire life in northeast london, couldnt even spot don cheadle was putting it on. But then ive never been known for being perceptive! I have noticed in the dr who trailers recently that his scottish accents coming through (but that doesnt necessarily mean its a bad english accent though).

For example, colin farrel's irish accent came through in phone booth, but then i kind of allowed it coz many new yorkers are of irish descent.

hmmm...i just remembered im on  the band of brothers board and cannot remember what my point was!

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 16
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/4/2006 9:37:09 PM   
sserplla

True

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 17
RE: Band of Brothers - 19/4/2006 10:10:14 PM   
Stalla

just to clarify...what's true?

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 18
RE: Band of Brothers - 26/4/2006 10:33:39 AM   
Trapman9

quote:

ORIGINAL: sserplla

is there a difference between the band of brothers tin boxset and the normal boxset(which i own)?

If your normal boxset has the dvd with the extras i don't think there is any difference.Except that the tin boxset looks and feels utterly cool.By the way, if you want to compare different versions of the same dvd so to decide the best buy, you should visit www.dvdcompare.net

We're gonna need a bigger boat...

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 19
RE: Band of Brothers - 1/5/2006 5:24:23 PM   
Orbital

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

I've viewed Band of Brothers 3 times now, and it improves every time you view it. Not only was it one of TV's greatest mini-series, but i believe that it is the greatest War Epic to ever feature on the big or small screen.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out
Post #: 20
RE: Band of Brothers - 1/5/2006 7:59:14 PM   
potus

The fact that no one's named George Luz as their favourite character makes me think that you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

"But what I say to you, Glasgow, is could an invisible cloud of shit-smelling gas with its own Channel 4 show be any less funny than the Friday Night Project?"

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 21
RE: Band of Brothers - 1/5/2006 11:32:07 PM   
sserplla

quote:

ORIGINAL: potus

The fact that no one's named George Luz as their favourite character makes me think that you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

I new I forgot someone (there's so many great characters you lose track of specific ones)

(in reply to potus)
Post #: 22
RE: Band of Brothers - 1/5/2006 11:41:27 PM   
Hobbes79

This is perhaps my favourite television series, and also my favourite wartime dramatisation. It's amazing just how much the story drags you in and how much you begin to empathise with all of the characters. Then of course you remember that the characters are based on real people, and the effect becomes even more poignant.

I've also read the book, which tells like more of a list of facts than a novel, and so therefore doesn't have the same dramatic affect as the series. Like I said though, it's is perhaps my favourite ever tv series. I own the DVD collection. I might just have to break it out and give it another watch.

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 23
RE: Band of Brothers - 2/5/2006 4:37:31 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbes79

I've also read the book, which tells like more of a list of facts than a novel, and so therefore doesn't have the same dramatic affect as the series. Like I said though, it's is perhaps my favourite ever tv series. I own the DVD collection. I might just have to break it out and give it another watch.

I think I should give it a re-watch also. I've seen it twice since I got the DVD set, and once when it was first shown on TV, although it's been about 18 months since I last watched it.

I also enjoyed reading the book. I've been meaning to read D-Day for about 3 years now, but it's still collecting dust on my shelf.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Hobbes79)
Post #: 24
RE: Band of Brothers - 5/5/2006 12:46:30 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Everyone's favourite character? Gotta be Spears or Winters for me.

http://www.wildbillguarnere.com/ for me!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 25
RE: Band of Brothers - 5/5/2006 12:59:28 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've just stumbled across the forums on the above site which is run by Wild Bills family and they've got a section that invites the actors in BoB to make post etc. Heres the link: http://forums.wildbillguarnere.com/index.php?showtopic=34&st=0

Heres one from Frank John Hughes himself:

quote:

TO GINO, GENE AND ALL OTHERS AT WILD BILL.COM,

THANK YOU for all the kind words, I can't tell you what it means to me to hear from you all.

It was the great honor of my life portraying this wonderful man, as it was for all the other actors involved. We took this as serious work. We were handed the legacy of these remarkable men and somehow we had to deliver it to millions. It's daunting work that we approached with almost a religious zeal.

The only thing that mattered to everyone involved in this undertaking was that the men of Easy would find it an honest portrayal of what they endured. If anyone else liked it...well that was just icing on the cake. Through out the production we all knew we would have to someday look our vet in the face and answer to him about what we had done. And let me tell you - that will keep a lad straight! They are quite a scary bunch when they want to be! Our greatest reward was not a Golden Globe or high ratings - it was the look on each veteran's face as he watched the show with us at different screenings. To watch Bill, watching me be Bill was something I can never explain but it changed me forever.

This was not just some job for anyone who was part of Band of Brothers - it was almost a vocation. That may sound corny-but it is the truth.

Being this man, knowing this man, loving this man has brought me closer to being the man I want to be. He is a type of man the world no longer creates - and that's something we all should mourn.

The great things Bill did as a young man still echoe down through the decades - he has changed me in so many ways - all of them for the better.

He will read this and he will hate that I said such things about him. He'll say, "Christ that kid can talk the balls of a pool table!" See these men are about actions not words but I am of a different generation...and sometimes, some things, just need to be said.

Until next time,
see you in the drop zone,
fjh 

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 26
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 10:07:32 AM   
kennedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbes79

This is perhaps my favourite television series, and also my favourite wartime dramatisation. It's amazing just how much the story drags you in and how much you begin to empathise with all of the characters. Then of course you remember that the characters are based on real people, and the effect becomes even more poignant.

Yeah, what I find striking about BoB is that you are introduced to these fresh faced  eager 'kids' in the first episode but by the last episode you see these hard hearted, war battered 'men' with lifeless faces but you understand why they are like that because you have been on the same journey as them.
I love LOST but you can't beat a true gritty drama like this!

Founder of Empiria

Empiria - Empirically Perfect

"Remember boys, flies spread disease, so keep yours closed!"

"Don't do it! You're a young man!"

(in reply to Hobbes79)
Post #: 27
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 10:25:59 AM   
Timon

Greatest mini series every. The last episode always, ALWAYS brings a tear to my eye.

In terms of favorite characters, i always loved George Luz, the cocky joker of the team. Was very suprised when the actor turned up in Sin City.

Will always love Damien Lewis for his portrayal as the stoic but loyal Winters.

I always get excited when i see a member of Easy Company in other tv shows these days - like Marlarky in ER, Joe Toye was an air marshall in 24, Bull has turned up in Prison Break, Lost and Sleeper Cell and Wild Bill was in Catch Me If You Can....and Bad Boys with a very comical mustache.

If you loved this series and have an interest in the space program, can i recommend FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON - a 10 part mini series from Tom Hanks et al about the Apollo missions. It's just as good as Band Of Brothers and likewise has a HUGE host of actors in it including Cary Elwes, Steve Zahn, Ronny Cox, Sally Field, Tony Goldwyn and tons others. Can't recommend it enough.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to kennedy)
Post #: 28
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 11:30:22 AM   
kennedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

If you loved this series and have an interest in the space program, can i recommend FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON - a 10 part mini series from Tom Hanks et al about the Apollo missions. It's just as good as Band Of Brothers and likewise has a HUGE host of actors in it including Cary Elwes, Steve Zahn, Ronny Cox, Sally Field, Tony Goldwyn and tons others. Can't recommend it enough.

Can't help but think that BoB was a one-off show that just cannot be replaced!!

Founder of Empiria

Empiria - Empirically Perfect

"Remember boys, flies spread disease, so keep yours closed!"

"Don't do it! You're a young man!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Band of Brothers - 16/5/2006 11:31:12 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

What a coincidence - I've just finished watching this again, having been inspired to do so by Andrew White's book Moon Dust.  In many ways it was the precursor to BoB - it was after making Apollo 13 and realising that he'd only told a small part of the story that Hanks floated the idea of a TV series about the Apollo programme to HBO.  Likewise, Saving Private Ryan inspired Hanks and Spielberg to once again approach HBO for a chance to tell more of the tale of D-Day and beyond.

The DVD box set of From The Earth To The Moon was the first DVD i ever bought, even before I'd bought a DVD player to play them on (there was no VHS release, and Channel 4 had once again screwed around with the scheduling which led to it being shown on different times and days each week, with the final show being broadcast at 11.00 on a Saturday morning!) Unfortunately my DVDs didn't survive the escape from marital hell but once I found a R1 release, it was snapped up!  I'll echo Timon's recommendation - before BoB came along this was hands down the best factual drama out there IMO.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Band of Brothers Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI