Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 15/3/2012 7:27:05 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Love The Artist, Capt A is great fun. Hanna'a not bad but I hated that kid she befriends.

Yeah she was a right bell end. Pretty much imported the same character she played in the highly tedious Tamara Drewe.

See I slightly disagree here, because I think she shows really good comic timing and she is annoying it is in an entertaining way. In some ways I liked her more in TD just because that was such a terrible film that she did provide some welcome comic relief

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 391
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 29/3/2012 1:23:11 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Love The Artist, Capt A is great fun. Hanna'a not bad but I hated that kid she befriends.

Yeah she was a right bell end. Pretty much imported the same character she played in the highly tedious Tamara Drewe.

See I slightly disagree here, because I think she shows really good comic timing and she is annoying it is in an entertaining way. In some ways I liked her more in TD just because that was such a terrible film that she did provide some welcome comic relief

In fairness EB that's a good point. She certainly has good comic timing - but she annoyed the hell out of me!

So Elab, how's 35 & above shaping up?

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 392
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 29/3/2012 9:28:53 AM   
elab49

I'm still mainly left hand typing at the moment but I'm hoping this weekend, when I can rest my hand a bit from work, that I can try and get through this to get it finished as far as possible. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 393
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 16/4/2012 3:58:26 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm still mainly left hand typing at the moment but I'm hoping this weekend, when I can rest my hand a bit from work, that I can try and get through this to get it finished as far as possible. 

D'you need a hand wrapping it up Elab?

Or should we just all accept A Separation was the best film of last year and be done with it?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 394
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 1:04:11 PM   
elab49

= No. 38

The Warrior (O'Connor, 2011)

Fighting and family angst from a good cast.

See also: Crying Fist.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 (Yates, 2011)

Closely-adapted series finally comes to an end.

No. 37

Inbetweeners
(Palmer, 2011)

It's no Intelligence Men.

See also: Well, I guess you've already seen the TV series.

No. 36

Neds (Mullan, 2011)

A tale of Glasgow that essentially takes the world of A Sense of Freedom into the next decade as Mullan tells the tale of a catholic boy growing up in 70s Glasgow and reaps the benefit of the care taken with the young lead's performance.

See also: A Sense of Freedom/Orphans.

No. 35

Poetry (Lee, 2010)

A sublime tale of a faded beauty grasping at the attempt to create something as she faces oncoming dementia and the fallout from her grandson's participation in the attack on a young girl. Yoon Jeong-Hee yet again demonstrates Oscar's inability to see beyond the end of its nose when it comes to acting awards.

See also: Secret Sunshine, but not any of the several hundred Korean TV dramas obsessed with unlikely depictions of Alzheimer's.

No. 34

Tyrannosaur (Considine, 2011)

Another of my favourite posters from this years selection. Following on from his short Dog Altogether, Considine expands on the tale of the rage filled Joseph getting wonderful performances from all concerned.

No. 33

The Guard (McDonagh, 2011)

Unfairly compared to his brother, The Guard succeeds on its own merits. A couple of lulls, sure, but a fascinating lead, a great double act and a fatalistic sense of humour reward repeat viewings.

= No. 31

Crazy Stupid Love (Ficarra, 2011)

Ryan Gosling.

Now take a moment for the male contingent on the Board to recompose themselves. And their trousers.

X-Men 1st Class (Vaughn, 2011)

Oh hello, how are you? And what's your skill? Have a little time to show off. And hi! You are? And what's your skill? Please give yourself a little induction. And you? Please - feel free to have your own little moment. And again. And again. Oh, bollocks - are those the end titles? One of the leads baby-daddy's generated more press.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 395
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 1:06:13 PM   
elab49

And ta for the patience. This will be finished by Friday - promise. 

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 396
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 1:08:36 PM   
matty_b

Harry Potter - meh.

Inbetweeners - like it, not sure if it'll stretch to a sequel, though.

The Guard - very funny. Gleeson predictably awesome.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 397
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 1:24:01 PM   
MonsterCat

I forgot this thread existed. Anyways...

The Inbetweeners Movie - The makers of The Hangover franchise could learn a thing or two from watching this. Lewd and crude, but with a lot of wit and heart.

The Guard - Massively underwhelmed by this.

Crazy, Stupid, Love - I had fun with this. For the most part it's a refreshingly cliché free rom-com, and there's no Heigl or Hudson in it. Which is always a good thing.

Warrior - Corny but compelling stuff.

Tyrannosaur - A really tough but admirable piece of work. Olivia Colman's performance went unrecognised during the awards rounds, and that is frankly total bullshit.

X-Men: First Class - It's OK. Rose Byrne and January Jones both looked yummy in it, but beyond that I'm struggling to think of anything memorable about the flick. Apparently there's something up with Fassbender's accent? Could someone clear that up for me?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 22/4/2012 1:33:58 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 398
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 1:37:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

I forgot this thread existed. Anyways...

So much for the 'ta'

quote:

Crazy, Stupid, Love - I had fun with this. For the most part it's a refreshingly cliché free rom-com, and there's no Heigl or Hudson in it. Which is always a good thing.

So sweet trying to pretend. I was this close to just naming names in that blurb.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 399
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 1:47:55 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

So much for the 'ta'

No, that wasn't a dig, I just totally forgot about this thread. I do a lot of crystal meth and it makes me forgot stuff.

quote:

So sweet trying to pretend. I was this close to just naming names in that blurb.

Ryan Gosling gives me man tingles. It goes without saying at this point.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 22/4/2012 1:48:24 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 400
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 1:51:13 PM   
elab49

Crystal meth is very bad, kids. 

Sorry for the over-sensitivity.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 401
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 2:34:56 PM   
impqueen

Warrior – Not interested.
Harry Potter – Eh
Inbetweeners – Not interested.
NEDS – Wasn’t all that interested but having seen some folk’s thoughts on the forum I’ll have to check it out at some point.
Poetry – Fantastic film, finished top of my own list.
Tyrannosaur – Good but not great, some ‘lovely’ performances.
The Guard – Gleeson is superb.
CSL – No still don’t love it or indeed like it that much at all.
First Class – Massively underwhelming and not nearly as entertaining as the first two. I still don’t understand much of the adulation thrown at either McAvoy or Fassbender.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 402
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 3:35:20 PM   
rawlinson

Warrior, some good acting, but the film was about an hour too long and by the end I just wanted them both to break their backs in ring. And the Hardy backstory had me rolling their eyes.

Harry Potter - Bleh

Inbetweeners - Excellent. Not as funny as the series, but the dance scene alone makes it one of the funniest films of last year.

Neds - Incredible

Poetry - Amazing, but still only the director's third best film.

Tyrannosaur - How the hell did Colman not get into every award ceremony going?

The Guard - Hilarious, I think the Ode to Billie Joe scene is what Tarantino has been trying to do all these years.

Crazy Stupid Love - Very good

X-men - I never got the love for any of the X-men films.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 403
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 3:44:47 PM   
MovieAddict247

I really enjoyed X-Men. That may be due to my practically indecent obsession with Fassbender though.

I really want to see both The Guard and Tyrannosaur - they completely passed me by when they were in the cinemas.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 404
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 4:59:49 PM   
Rebel scum

Harry Potter-One of the weakest of the lot.
X-Men-I enjoyed it at the time, but now I struggle to remember large bits of it. Great cameos though.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 405
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 22/4/2012 7:15:29 PM   
filmfanatic123

My top 10:
1. Warrior
2. Senna
3. Black Swan
4. Kill List
5. The King's Speech
6. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
7. Attack the Block
8. The Fighter
9. True Grit
10. We Need to Talk About Kevin

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 406
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 23/4/2012 12:01:16 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Potter - Yay
X-men - Good

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 407
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 23/4/2012 1:03:25 AM   
Toast

Warrior - Oh, the melodrama....

Solid performances, but the choice to make everything so overly dramatic lowered the piece to the level of some god awful soap opera. Cringe worthy, very, very cringe worthy.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 408
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 24/4/2012 1:52:48 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Warrior - a kind of nuts & bolts fighting film heightened by brilliant turns by Hardy & Nolte.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 - a good end to a long, long series - although some of the key moments were somewhat rushed.

The Inbetweeners - kinda suffers from the TV holiday special syndrome, but it's a comedic masterpiece compared to the lazy & nasty Hangover.

Neds - really impressive & doesn't slip into kitchen sink despite its nature - although it loses momentum towards the end.

Tyrannosaur - really impressive debut from Considine. It's not hyperbole either to state that Colman's performance is one of the best in any film from recent years. The lack of bafta acknowledgement was nothing short of a disgrace. Well done empire for getting that right at least.

The Guard - Gleeson's great but the film itself, not so much.

X-Men 1st Class - Had it all been about Magneto & Profressor X, this would have been a blockbuster treat. Still very decent though & much better than the god awful last two X-Men related films.

Poetry has been on the want to see list for the past couple of years, little interest in pursuing Crazy, Stupid, Love to be honest.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Toast)
Post #: 409
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 12:43:12 PM   
elab49

No. 30

Bridesmaids (Feig, 2011)

Female attempt at Hangover market which, while superior (at least it doesn't glorify a rapist), is perhaps not as funny as it thinks it is.

No. 29

Incendies (Villeneuve, 2010)

Radiohead did well in the soundtracks this year (see also Confessions eg) - Oscar nominated Incendies is the most makjang experience I've had outside of Korean drama and US daytime soap!

No. 28

The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn (Spielberg, 2011)

The animation didn't work for everyone but Snowy was lovely, the leather fetish nicely disturbing and it very occasionally touched on the joy of the chase last seen in Raiders.

No. 27

The Secret World of Arietty (Yonebayashi, 2010)

A lovely animation demonstrating yet again Ghibli's affinity with British fantasy fiction that we grew up with.

No. 26

50/50 (Levine, 2011)

If Rogen wants to persuade people he can act he probably shouldn't be standing beside Gordon-Levitt. True life cancer story.

No. 25

A Separation (Farhadi, 2011)

Sorry Qwerty   Award-winning behemoth from Iran depicting the ins and outs of a couple's separation.

= No. 23

Super 8 (Abrams, 2011)

Where does the line between homage and inept copy-catting end? Is anyone else astonished this placed higher than Spielberg's own film?

The Skin I Live In (Almodovar (2011)

Banderas returns to the Almodovar fold and makes his first decent film in about a decade.

No. 22

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher, 2011)

Insufficiently distinguished remake.

See also: The original

No. 21

Midnight in Paris (Allen, 2011)

Woody's latest.

See also: Lady in the Water

quote:

Post #: 410
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 1:03:54 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Bridesmaids - I don't care what the crusty old fogies round here say - I really liked it. Although I could have done without the toilet humour.
Incendies - Hugely contrived but utterly compelling. The bus scene was easily the most distressing thing I witnessed in a cinema last year (and that includes the entirety of Snowtown).
Tintin - a set-piece fest really, all-being some very good ones.
Arriety - not Ghilbi's best, but still very very cute & gorgeous to look at.
50/50 - would have preferred less of the chauvinistic Roganism's but it's an honest & genuine portrayal of a difficult situation for any human being. SPOILER (the ending's a cop out though).
A Separation - Magnificent! 24 places too low. Shame on you all!
Super 8 - Rip off or not, I really liked it. I'll have this over soulless bullshit like most big-budgeted fare.
The Skin I Live In - Not as good on second viewing, yet it's still Almodovar's best in years - possibly even his best.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - a pointless remake that exists only for either Fincher fanatics or those too lazy to read subtitles.
Midnight In Paris - Solid if unremarkable. Yet is incredible compared to the abominable Whatever Works.

Now I'm trying to work out what's left that I actually like.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 411
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 1:07:20 PM   
Rebel scum

Tintin-Great fun, and a pretty decent adaptation to boot
50/50-Bona fide masterpiece
Super 8-Alright, should not be this high
TGWTDT-I enjoyed it a lot, though I admit I've yet to see the original. Best title sequence of the year though

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 412
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 1:11:47 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Warrior - I absolutely loved this. Sure the plot is complete and utter hokum but the performances by Hardy, Nolte and Edgerton are astounding and MMA will never be better portrayed than this.

Harry Potter Hallows 2 - Enjoyable in parts but takes too many liberties with the source material.

Inbetweeners - Loved this, hilarious.

X-Men First Class - I enjoyed this a lot.

Bridesmaids - Absolute drivel.

Tintin - Great fun, the chase scene is incredible.

Arrietty - Top tier Ghibli, amazing.

50/50 - This film nearly made me cry. Great stuff, JGL is incredible and I thought Rogen was pretty damn good. Granted he was actually playing himself but there you go.

TGWADT - Thought this was pretty good. Not seen the original so can't compare.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 26/4/2012 1:12:25 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 413
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 3:14:39 PM   
rawlinson

Bridesmaids is ok, but there's a lot of unfunny scenes and McCarthy was in no way deserving of all the praise that came her way.

Incendies - Didn't really care for it that much.

Tintin - Spielberg's best in over 20 years.

Arrietty - As amazing as you'd expect from Ghibli.

50/50 - Very good, and I liked Rogen in it as well. The guy has always been able to act, he just doesn't stretch himself beyond his comedic persona. But then neither did Stan Laurel.

A Separation - Very good, but I didn't like it as much as others.

Super 8 -

quote:

Where does the line between homage and inept copy-catting end? Is anyone else astonished this placed higher than Spielberg's own film?

It's better than the majority of Spielberg's films though.

The Skin I Live in - Yeah, very good.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Mara is great. The film isn't.

Midnight in Paris - Should have been higher.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 414
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 3:51:03 PM   
matty_b

Bridesmaids - yeah, it was OK.

Tintin - some moments of brilliance, but he's a bit of a dullard for a hero.

Super 8 - if you're going to rip someone off, at least have the decency to do it as well as this does.

TGWTDT - better than the original, if nowhere near Fincher's best. Mara should have won the Oscar, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 415
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 6:18:25 PM   
paul_ie86

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 - Good end to the series
The Inbetweeners -It was ok.
Neds - Good
The Guard - Good
X-Men 1st Class - Better than any of the Marvel Studios efforts from last year
Bridesmaids - Good, but not as good as the hype suggested
The Secret World of Arietty - Ok
50/50 - Very good. I liked Rogen in it too.
Super 8 - I liked the film the kids made more than I liked the film JJ Abrams made.
The Skin I Live In - Last year's best film.
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - See Bridesmaids.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 416
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 8:09:59 PM   
MonsterCat

Bridesmaid - liked this a great deal. Probably a bit too long at over two hours, but I had fun with. Also: I love Kristen Wiig, and one day we will be married.

50/50 - Joseph Gordon Levitt is very good in this. Seth Rogen's boorish frat boy shtick is wearing thin.

Super 8 - One of those rare summer films that has heart and characters you can actually give a fuck about.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Preferred this over the Swedish version, and Rooney Mara () did the character proud. Daniel Craig talking in his regular accent was an odd choice, though. And I will never hear Enya's Orinoco Flow in the same way again.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 417
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 26/4/2012 8:23:32 PM   
impqueen

WARNING INSIGHTFUL COMMENTS AHEAD PREPARE TO BE AMAZED

Bridesmaids – No thanks.
Tintin – Needs a second viewing.
Arietty – Stunning.
50/50 – Eh.
A Separation – Brilliant.
Super 8 – Forgettable.
GWDT – Meh.
MIP – I liked it.

Yes, always.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 418
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 27/4/2012 1:38:37 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Tin Tin's ace, Super 8 and Dragon tattoo both very good.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 419
RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 - 27/4/2012 10:26:19 PM   
MovieAddict247

Bridesmaids - "At first I did not know it was your diary, I thought it was a very sad handwritten book." was my favourite line it it. As a film, it's alright.

Midnight in Paris - so engaging and entertaining, it makes up for its flaws. The guy playing Hemingway was fantastic, as was Adrien Brody.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Annual Poll - Top 10 films of 2011 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI