Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The return of the Golden Oldies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The return of the Golden Oldies Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 21/3/2006 1:43:33 PM   
Dignan

The original Godzilla (1954)

Everything's Impossible, 'till it ain't'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***
The Anniversary Party ***

(in reply to harleybess)
Post #: 91
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 21/3/2006 1:47:43 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Hobson's Choice (1954) with Charles Laughton and John Mills. Absolutely amazing. 5/5

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 92
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 22/3/2006 8:08:20 PM   
Dignan

Django (1966) - Cool spaghetti western with a great score, only problem was the terrible dubbing - 4/5

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 93
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 23/3/2006 12:52:41 PM   
directorscut

Black Narcissus -

Quite simply one of the most visually striking and dramatically rich films ever made.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 94
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 23/3/2006 6:50:07 PM   
Dignan

I watched Pather Panchali (1955) for the first time today, and should be seeing the rest of the Apu trilogy soon.

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 95
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 23/3/2006 10:30:47 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dignan

I watched Pather Panchali (1955) for the first time today, and should be seeing the rest of the Apu trilogy soon.

What did you think?  Still happily reeling from the euphoric train sequence?  I'm glad to see that you rate La Grande illusion so highly.  Have you had the chance to see any of the other Gabin/Renoir films, or the Gabin/Carne films, for that matter?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 96
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 24/3/2006 1:37:32 AM   
Dignan

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

What did you think?  Still happily reeling from the euphoric train sequence?  I'm glad to see that you rate La Grande illusion so highly.  Have you had the chance to see any of the other Gabin/Renoir films, or the Gabin/Carne films, for that matter?

Well, I didn't post my views earlier as I felt I needed to think about it a bit more first, in fact i watched several bits of it again. It's a wonderful little film, made more fascinating by the fact that I knew basically nothing about Begali life beforehand. I really liked the look and atmosphere, helped a lot by the music, which worked really well with it. Ah yes, the train sequence, the photography in that scene was stunning. And it had decent child performances! Anyway, do the other two films stay the same high standard?

As for the Gabin/Renoir films, I haven't seen any others yet, the only other Renoir film I've seen so far is La Regele du Jeu, which was very good, though not as good as La Grande Illusion. My uni libary has several more Renoir films though which I intend to work my way through. However, I'm afraid I havn't  had the oppertunity to see any of Marcel Carne's films yet.

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 97
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 24/3/2006 1:03:16 PM   
rick_7

quote:

Well, I didn't post my views earlier as I felt I needed to think about it a bit more first, in fact i watched several bits of it again. It's a wonderful little film, made more fascinating by the fact that I knew basically nothing about Begali life beforehand. I really liked the look and atmosphere, helped a lot by the music, which worked really well with it. Ah yes, the train sequence, the photography in that scene was stunning. And it had decent child performances! Anyway, do the other two films stay the same high standard?

They certainly do!  The second film is beautiful, poignant and unforgettable.  World of Apu (Apu Sansar) has a couple of developments that seem far-fetched, but that may just be my lack of acquaintance with Indian life.  They're beautifully photographed, and the lilting, economic score complements the drama perfectly.  As you've said, the standard of acting seems to be extremely good, though I find it more difficult to judge when watching a film not made in my first language.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 98
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 24/3/2006 3:40:19 PM   
Dignan

Excellent. Oh and I saw Jean Renoir's La Bete Humane (1938) today - magnificent - 5/5

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 99
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 24/3/2006 3:46:44 PM   
rick_7

quote:

Excellent. Oh and I saw Jean Renoir's La Bete Humane (1938) today - magnificent - 5/5

Wow, you're certainly racking up the classics!  Yes, that is an extremely powerful, atmospheric film.  Gabin is one of my favourite dramatic actors, and as I've said elsewhere, he made the role of the "doomed hero" his own during the late 1930s.  In many ways the "poetic realism" created by Carne, Duvivier and others with Pepe Le Moko, Le Quai des brumes (which is certainly my favourite of the bunch, as well as one of my top fifteen films of all time), La Bete humaine and Le Jour se leve prefigured and foreshadowed the bleak, fatalistic Noirs of the following decade.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 100
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 26/3/2006 8:41:37 PM   
Dignan

Well, I watched the rest of the Apu trilogy this weekend. Aparajito (1956), while still being very good, I felt was the least strong film of the trilogy, while The World Of Apu (1958), even though the wedding scene was perhaps a little dubious, I felt was the best of the trilogy, what a fantastic ending.

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 101
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 26/3/2006 8:53:37 PM   
James2183

Sugarland Express - 4/5

Vastly underrated Spielberg film. Great tension throughout and certainly not the typical Speilberg film we see today. Although it was a small film you can certainly see how he would become the most successful and well known filmmaker of all time.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 102
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 26/3/2006 11:41:07 PM   
Dignan

The Hammer version of Dracula (1958) aka Horror of Dracula, story wise different to other Dracula films i've seen, but some nice production design, highly entertaining - 4/5

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 103
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 27/3/2006 2:03:31 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Sugarland Express - 4/5

Vastly underrated Spielberg film. Great tension throughout and certainly not the typical Speilberg film we see today. Although it was a small film you can certainly see how he would become the most successful and well known filmmaker of all time.

Though Spielberg tries to sneak in a ton of sentimentality missing from the source story, it's a thrilling, deceptively moving film, and Ben Johnson is just great as the police chief.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 104
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 31/3/2006 11:25:56 AM   
Geir

Aguirre, der zorn gottes (1972) - My first Herzog, I think. I can see why people like it, but I found it boring.
Stage fright (1950) - Really liked this one, and it managed to surprise me. Good characters, especially the father was fantastic!
Strangers on a train (1951) - Seems to be rated much higher than Stage fright, but this one had problems keeping my attention.
I know where I'm going (1945) - My first Powell & Pressburger movie and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the other two I got in the box set.
The wild bunch (1969) - Loved it :)

< Message edited by Geir -- 31/3/2006 11:30:01 AM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 105
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 2/4/2006 12:24:58 AM   
directorscut

Imitation of Life (1959)

Finely mounted Douglas Sirk social drama in which Lana Turner rises from poverty-line widow to Broadway superstar. Turner is very good as the lead in the  first half, underplaying the character's driving ambition rather sublimely. However the film shifts focus in the second half and Juanita Moore and Susan Kohner take over as the troubled mother and daughter. Moore delivers a performance of grace and dignity as a truly Christian human. Disappointingly Susan Kohner's character is drawn far too broad for the complex troubles and issues facing her. Their final scene together however is still a heart-wrencher. The racial issues are more often than not masterfully handled by Sirk using juxtaposition and symbolism being characters, their thought and lives. Without being too preachy (and never forgetting to entertain) Sirk's film plants seeds for thought and remains remarkably ambiguous enough for discussion.

(in reply to Geir)
Post #: 106
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 2/4/2006 8:59:33 PM   
directorscut

Way of the Dragon (1972)

For my money the best of Bruce Lee's completed films. Bruce travels to Italy to take on a gangster syndicate attempting to close down a friend's restaurant. Cue Bruce kicking ten tonnes of pasta out of Italy. A much finer example of fluid martial arts film-making than The Big Boss, lacking the political revenge that bogged down Fist of Fury and exempt from the American filler of Enter the Dragon, Bruce Lee serves a delightful mix of action and comedy in his only completed directorial work. Perpetually under looked as an actor, Bruce is terrific here as the fish out of water balancing his towering charisma, excellent comedic timing and amazing physical prowess. The amazing fluidity with which he dispatches his foes pays off massively when he is finally hurt by Chuck Norris in the climatic showdown. Finally a worthy foe. And Bruce acknowledges this in a simple but powerful moment when he pays tribute to his fallen opponent. Truly the high-point of Bruce's short but astonishing career.

Post #: 107
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 3/4/2006 4:34:55 PM   
Leomuse

For a Few Dollars More
Sergio Leone
Italy
1st viewing

Post #: 108
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 6/4/2006 12:03:12 AM   
directorscut

Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

Absorbing courtroom thriller with James Stewart on top-form as an atterny defending a man on murder charges. The verbal face offs between Scott, West and Stewart are electrifying and often very amusing, recalling fond memories of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Otto Preminger's direction is tight, stylish but never calls attention to itself. It shouldn't work with Duke Ellington's contrasting jazz score but somehow – it does, and together they create a moody framework to aid Stewart's on screen investigation. The film is completely morally ambiguous, painting all the characters and the legal process in shades of grey. Is the verdict the correct one? The film leaves that for the viewer to ponder.

Lost Horizon (1937)

How sad that this magical film about the utopian society of Shangri-La will probably never be seen in its entirety. A massive production for 1937. The massive, bare sets of the tranquil paradise of Shangri-La contrast perfectly with the noisy, clutter opening in Baskul. Ronald Colman leads the well assembled cast with typically upper crust British charm. One couldn't think of a more suited director for the material than Frank Capra and only once does his mistep his directorial feet – the really unnecessary final thirty seconds. “Here's my hope that Robert Conway will find his Shangri-La. Here's my hope that we all find our Shangri-La.” Says it all.

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 109
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 6/4/2006 12:38:39 PM   
directorscut

The Wicked Lady (1945)

To fill in my cinematic education I decided to give this, the ninth biggest hit in UK history, a whirl. Quite how it achieved success akin to the lofty heights of Titanic and Harry Potter is a wonder (controversy?) but it is a very enjoyable, fast paced, costume-drama romp nonetheless. The three leads; Lockwood, Roc and Mason attack their roles with great gusto, entertaining and bringing weight to the slightly dodgy dialogue. Margaret Lockwood (playing a sort of evil Scarlett O'Hara type) and James Mason (playing a sort of evil Rhett Butler type) make for a terrific on the road duo with plenty of sharp banter and hilariously cheesy innuendo. Lockwood's final scene is brilliantly executed and surely ranks at one of the best curtain calls. Roll on The Seventh Veil and Spring in Park Lane!

Post #: 110
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 6/4/2006 9:27:58 PM   
Leomuse

Bambi
David Hand
USA
5th viewing (or so)

Post #: 111
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 9/4/2006 7:46:00 AM   
Leomuse

Brief Encounter
David Lean
UK
1st viewing

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 112
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 10/4/2006 12:19:32 PM   
Leomuse

The Exorcist
William Friedkin
USA
1st viewing

***1/2

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 113
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 11/4/2006 2:25:56 PM   
James2183

The Last Picture Show - (1st Viewing)

Great coming of age film with a vast number of undertones. Great performances all around, especially with Leachman and Sheppard. Simple, yet brilliant direction from Bogdanovich.

4/5

EDIT: Whats the sequel to this, Texasville like?

< Message edited by James2183 -- 11/4/2006 2:43:55 PM >

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 114
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 12/4/2006 12:03:29 PM   
Leomuse

Closely Observed Trains
Jirí Menzel
Czechoslovakia
1st viewing

***1/2

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 115
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 12/4/2006 8:37:58 PM   
Leomuse

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Sergio Leone
Italy
1st viewing

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 116
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 15/4/2006 2:08:34 PM   
Shawlord

Jack Lemmon double bill on BBC2 yesterday.

The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1975) - Written by the very talented Neil Simon, this film, whilst having some lovely moments, fails to hit the mark.  If there is one thing that Lemmon can do well it is tragi-comedy.  And whilst he pulls it off with his usual gusto here, I feel that weaknesses in the plot let the film as a whole down.  The bizarre "factual" voice overs are very amusing but a little oddly placed within the film and the balance of tragedy and comedy is just a little off so neither are convincingly played out no matter how great the perfomers are.  A shame really, as the premise of a man in turmoil after he is sacked from his job after over 20 years of service and then has to watch his wife become the breadwinner, whilst battling a nervous breakdown is one that holds a lot of promise when in the right hands.  Co-star Anne Bancroft plays well alongside Lemmon and manages to hold her own most admirably.  And there is a very brief appearance from a young Sly Stallone as "youth in park"

Mister Roberts (1955) - This film has a delightful cast consisting of Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Jack Lemmon and William Powell.  Set towards the end of World War 2 this film is about a relatively unimportant cargo ship and the battle the men on board have with the boredom of well, not having a hell of a lot to do.  Under the command of a Lieutenant who desperately wants to take a more active role in the War and a Captain who only seems to add to the misery of his men this is a delightful comedy drama with tinges of sadness and moments of madness.  And like a few of the films that Lemmon stars in it boasts a cracking last line/scene.

The World is a fine place, and worth fighting for... I agree with the second part.

100 Golden Oldies Recommended by you!

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 117
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 15/4/2006 5:06:53 PM   
directorscut

The Circus (1928)

The Tramp joins the circus with hilarious consequences. I haven't laughed at a film this much in ages. Chaplin shows his genius of turning simple scenes into comedic masterclasses all throughout the film. Sad ending too.

(in reply to Shawlord)
Post #: 118
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 24/4/2006 9:03:53 AM   
Angelus

Citizen Kane

A lot of better writers than myself have praised the many levels on which this film excels, so I'll just say that I enjoy this film more and more every time I see it.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

Post #: 119
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 6/5/2006 2:15:50 PM   
Dignan

Lady Snowblood (1973) - 3/5

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The return of the Golden Oldies Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI