Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The return of the Golden Oldies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The return of the Golden Oldies Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 21 [22]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 26/10/2009 10:04:57 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDudeAbides

Stagecoach - John Ford - 1939

A masterclass of storytelling from a director whose work I confess to having seen pitifully little of. The pace and framing of this film is so perfect that watching it is like eating ice-cream, going down sweet and easy. A simple story, based vaguely on Guy de Maupassant's Boule de Suif, sees Claire Trevor's hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold run out of a frontier town by a gaggle of righteous matriachs. Joining her on the titular stagecoach are passengers from different walks of life, Breakfast Club-style, all hoping to make the journey without encountering maraudering Apache types. The characters are all fairly straightforward - drunken doctor, pious hypocrite, fiery Southern gentleman, whisky peddler - but the script is sparkly enough to bring them to life.

John Wayne puts in one of his best performances (ie. eyes open) as an ex-con avenging the murder of his brother, although his love scenes are frighteningly lethargic, but this is very much Claire Trevor's film. She brings warmth and charm to a role which was a cliche even then and makes her version definitive. The supporting actors are occasionally a little too colourful, but this is really only a minor quibble. The film as a whole is an exemplar of excellence. Beatifully crafted and sensitively drawn out, an arresting and affecting dramatic adventure that every film fan ought to see.

9.5/10

Sounds great! looking forward to the multi disc Criterion release, out sometime next year!

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 631
RE: Hello Rick. - 27/10/2009 9:45:28 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnChard

I have got reviews on IMDb for most of my favourite Sturges movies, but sadly I can`t get into the site here from work, it was blocked by the IT Nazis  but i`ll drop some more substantial thoughts in later from home. But briefly...

I think it`s safe to say that outside of the eight films during his golden period, the rest of Sturges` CV is mightily divisive. I`ve not seen Beautiful Blonde or The Power And The Glory so sadly can`t comment there. Unfaithfully Yours has truly great moments of mirth but it remains a tough film for me to fully embrace as a great film. Funny you say that about The Miracle Of Morgan`s Creek since it`s my favourite Sturges movie, scattergun satire screwball with two stars trying to outdo each other. Christmas In July and The Palm Beach Story are guaranteed blues lifters while The Lady Eve needs no hard sell does it?  : - ) Then there`s The Great McGinty {the mighty Brian Donlevy} and Sullivan`s Travels which are as sharp as a tack. I had a bit of a stop start viewing with Hail The Conquering Hero so I need to revisit that one, glad to do so tho.

I`ve read two Sturges biographies, of which I found "Between Flops" most interesting as regards the man and the stories behind those great great films.  

Excellent, I'd like to read one of those biographies.

My post about Morgan's Creek wasn't very clear, sorry - it's actually probably my third favourite of Sturges' films as director, behind Hail the Conquering Hero and Sullivan's Travels, it's just not in the R1 or R2 seven-film box-sets for some reason, though it is available separately. Ignatz Ratskiwatski. It's astonishing that Sturges drew those two performances from Eddie Bracken. I like Bracken and everything, and he obviously had something to do with it (!), but there's a massive gulf between what he was able to do in those films and elsewhere. His performance in Hail is one of my favourites, and arguably among the best, in American Cinema. A bold claim, but I'm sticking with it.

I'll have a look at your write-ups on IMDb - what's your username on there?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 632
Hello Rick. - 27/10/2009 4:30:23 PM   
JohnChard

There I`m "JohnRouseMerriottChard" my friends call me Spike.

Here`s the links to save you a trawling, have you got any reviews up anywhere? I see we have a similar pasion for Westerns too.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037077/usercomments-51 [/url]

The Palm Beach Story (1942) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035169/usercomments-40 [/url]

Christmas in July (1940) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032338/usercomments-17[/url]

The Lady Eve (1941) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033804/usercomments-66 [/url]

Unfaithfully Yours (1948) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040919/usercomments-30 [/url]

Just realiseed I have some still to write, what a blow, means I`ll have to watch the others again then

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 633
RE: Hello Rick. - 27/10/2009 7:55:53 PM   
directorscut

The Mummy (1932) is one of the more creaky Universal Horror films, one that can't live up to its truly fantastic opening scene or the high standard set by James Whale with Frankenstein and The Old Dark House.  David Manners is a damp matchstick unable to ignite the spark and chemistry with his co-star Zita Johann's (who valiantly tries to inject some on her own but it's kind of like playing tennis against a brick wall) required for the audience to believe or invest in him as the romantic lead of the film.  As such the closing like "Call her.  Her love for you may bridge the centuries." doesn't carry the weight or emotional impact it could have.  Karloff is another story entirely delivering a excellent performance as the titular character and is infinitely more sympathetic and interesting than our Captain Cardboard lead.  It's a shame the sequences of his and Johann's doomed love depicted throughout the ages was cut but then I guess that would have definitely had audiences rooting for Karloff instead of Manners if they weren't already.  Arthur Byron and Edward Van Sloan also pick up the slack left by Manners and deliver fine performances as the elder Van Helsing figures.

Universal horror movies are well known for being short, snappy and well paced.  The Mummy however is one film that could do with a little breathing room.  Elements one expects and wants from this type of film is missing; the two big archaeological finds are never shown being discovered.  The film opens with the iconic mummy already discovered and the excavation of his love Anck-es-en-Amon is limited to the outer doorway of the tomb.  We never go inside the tombs, we never get a sense of the grand adventure that a film like this set in Egypt should provide.  I prefer the 1999 remake.  It's more fun, has that sense of adventure, has a fine Jerry Goldsmith score and I believed the relationship between Fraser and Weisz even if it wasn't the central aspect of the film.  Still despite its flaws the original Universal Mummy is still well worth watching. 

< Message edited by directorscut -- 27/10/2009 7:56:17 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 634
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 27/10/2009 7:57:49 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

quote:

A masterclass of storytelling from a director whose work I confess to having seen pitifully little of. The pace and framing of this film is so perfect that watching it is like eating ice-cream, going down sweet and easy. A simple story, based vaguely on Guy de Maupassant's Boule de Suif, sees Claire Trevor's hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold run out of a frontier town by a gaggle of righteous matriachs. Joining her on the titular stagecoach are passengers from different walks of life, Breakfast Club-style, all hoping to make the journey without encountering maraudering Apache types. The characters are all fairly straightforward - drunken doctor, pious hypocrite, fiery Southern gentleman, whisky peddler - but the script is sparkly enough to bring them to life.

John Wayne puts in one of his best performances (ie. eyes open) as an ex-con avenging the murder of his brother, although his love scenes are frighteningly lethargic, but this is very much Claire Trevor's film. She brings warmth and charm to a role which was a cliche even then and makes her version definitive. The supporting actors are occasionally a little too colourful, but this is really only a minor quibble. The film as a whole is an exemplar of excellence. Beatifully crafted and sensitively drawn out, an arresting and affecting dramatic adventure that every film fan ought to see.

9.5/10

Sounds great! looking forward to the multi disc Criterion release, out sometime next year!

Seems fairly redundant considering the 2-Disc Special Edition Warner put out a few years ago is first rate and still in print.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 635
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 27/10/2009 8:57:34 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

quote:

9.5/10

Seems fairly redundant considering the 2-Disc Special Edition Warner put out a few years ago is first rate and still in print.

Yeah, well I`d still love to see what Criterion`s gonna come up with.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 636
RE: Hello Rick. - 27/10/2009 9:43:35 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnChard

There I`m "JohnRouseMerriottChard" my friends call me Spike.

Here`s the links to save you a trawling, have you got any reviews up anywhere? I see we have a similar pasion for Westerns too.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037077/usercomments-51 [/url]

The Palm Beach Story (1942) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035169/usercomments-40 [/url]

Christmas in July (1940) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032338/usercomments-17[/url]

The Lady Eve (1941) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033804/usercomments-66 [/url]

Unfaithfully Yours (1948) [url] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040919/usercomments-30 [/url]

Just realiseed I have some still to write, what a blow, means I`ll have to watch the others again then

Thanks for those, I'll have a proper read tomorrow (off to bed early, as I'm a bit under the weather). I do a weekly movie guide for my paper's website, so there are always 20 or so reviews via the link in my signature, though I haven't written about Sturges for a bit. I did a brief bit about him back in June:

http://www.harrogateadvertiser.net/magazine/Films-on-TV--June.5380567.jp?articlepage=3

and there are odd reviews scattered amongst the others; here are a couple of very brief ones (I now seem to be writing about three times as much per film as when I started doing the column in January!):

quote:

The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend
is a long way short of Preston Sturges' greatest works, but also far from the disaster it was viewed as back in 1949. It's a very broad Western spoof in which notorious gunslinger Betty Grable is mistaken for a schoolteacher and has to contend with both a caddish ex-lover (Cesar Romero) and two of the naughtiest pupils in the world (Sterling Holloway and Dan Jackson, who are ridiculously coarse and bray like donkeys for most of the film), as she tries to forge a new life for herself. She also keeps accidentally shooting judge Porter Hall in the bottom, which epitomises the film's humour like Grable, Sturges wasn't aiming very high. Decent fun, but if you're new to Sturges, this one betrays little of his genius. (3/5)

quote:

Sullivan's Travels, which inspired the Coens' O Brother, Where Art Thou?, mixes slapstick, satire and social comment to sensational effect. Joel McCrea plays a Hollywood filmmaker who wants to make a great statement, but "doesn't know the first thing about suffering". Posing as a hobo, he links up with struggling actress Veronica Lake - and tries to shake off the studio yes-men following his every move. First-rate in every way, with a peerless supporting ensemble. There's a particularly good role for the great black character actor Jess Lee Brooks, playing a preacher. (5/5)

The afore-mentioned Top 100 thread is here: http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2542180.. and that's about enough self-promotion! Nice speaking to you, I see you're a fan of The Searchers, I'd be interested to read your thoughts on that. It's the best film ever, you know.

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 27/10/2009 9:48:02 PM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 637
The Searchers - 28/10/2009 7:05:05 AM   
JohnChard

The reason High Definition was invented .........

What makes a man to wander ?

Upon returning from a trip out to find cattle thieves, Ethan Edwards finds his brother and sister-in-law murdered by Comanches, and their two daughters missing. Driven by a hatred of Indians, and a motive of some determination, Edwards and his part Indian companion set off to find the missing girls, a perilous journey that will span many years.

The Searchers is one of the greatest Westerns ever made, in fact it's one of the finest pictures all told ever made. It's reputation as such is most definitely warranted, directed and photographed with almost peerless precision, The Searchers stands tall as a triumph of cinematic achievement. Plot wise the piece is really very basic, based on a novel by Alan LeMay, its revenge/hatred driven pursuit theme is one that will forever be trundled out to gather easy Hollywood coin, but with director John Ford pulling the strings on this picture, The Searchers is cloaked with a beauty that belies the bleakness of the main protagonist's driving force. As a character driven picture it's something of a flag bearing lesson for all other directors to make note of, because the thematic heart of The Searchers lays with Ethan Edwards {superbly played by John Wayne}, an embittered man that incredibly, in spite of his evident bile, manages to keep the viewer from hating him due to the complexities of his make up and the surrounding sprawl of the American West.

The film is bookended by brilliant shots from open doorways, with both sequences impacting to almost steal the breath away, but these are merely the crusts of an incredibly delicious sandwich. Many scenes here could be framed as pictures to define the classic Western, Ford making the Monument Valley location one of the best Western characters to have ever graced the screen. Rolling hills and dusty odd shaped rocks are given impetus by scorching reds and oranges that themselves are aided by the everlasting fold of a vividly potent blue sky, all of it dwarfing the characters as Ford adroitly weaves the Civilization versus Wilderness thread. The Searchers is a film that positively begs repeat viewings, each subsequent viewing brings further insights into character dissections and a lyrical lesson in racial indifference, all played out with almost hauntingly poignancy by Max Steiner's memorable score.

The Searchers back in the day never won any awards, presumably because the racist core of the film had many twitching in their beds, maybe because the film doesn't rely on dialogue to make its points? {the body language and facial acting here is quite brilliant}. Perhaps some just wanted a basic Western of shoot outs and shallow characters that barely have time to show some heart?, either way, what we do know now is that The Searchers is revered across the globe and hits the best of lists formed by those with a very keen interest in cinema, maybe it's only for those willing to invest and observe it on numerous occasions?. I am but a mere mortal film fan for sure, but really this film is as good an experience as a film fan could have, technically and thematically the piece has few peers, it's a true American masterpiece. 10/10

Thanks for the links Rick, oh and what`s the mark up for links here,? can`t find where they are.

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 638
RE: The return of the Golden Oldies - 2/11/2009 10:41:40 PM   
TheGodfather

Red-Headed Woman
All the reasons why the films from the Pre-Code era are so fun and enjoyable compared to the films that were made during the period that the Production Code was in effect are visable right from the first scenes in the Jean Harlow featured Red-Headed Woman. Tempting shots from our leading lady Jean Harlow (playing a powerfull woman who with her full conscience cheats on her boy friend just to find and marry the most rich man she can find), witty dialogues and sexually tinted one-liners, all done in such a way that it does stay very light.
This film has all things that make a Pre-Code Hollywood film so truly enjoyable.
8,8/10

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 639
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 20 21 [22]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The return of the Golden Oldies Page: <<   < prev  18 19 20 21 [22]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI