Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 20/4/2012 1:37:34 PM   
Spaldron

The video for The Clairvoyant here is the only official footage they've ever released and as you can see it was really well filmed (on 35mm if I'm not mistaken) as opposed to the rush job they had to do with the NEC Maiden England video they ended up releasing later that year which was shot on video tape and looks pants tbh. This is why I really want the Donington show finally released.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 91
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 24/4/2012 1:29:41 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

'88 was Helloween, Guns n Roses, Megadeth, Dave Lee Roth, Kiss & Maiden

There was however a major piss/bottle storm when Megadeth were on I seem to remember

Yes, I was there as a 15 year old. It did indeed rain warm piss.
My parents didn't let me go in 1989 after the deaths (and secondly because by that time I was a massive GN'R fan and I guess they thought it was their fault ) but I managed 1990 and 1991.
The grunge years hit me then and turning up at Donno in a bandanna and latex trousers just wasn't cool anymore.
I do however wish I'd gone in 1986 and seen Bad News. Fucking brilliant

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 92
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 25/4/2012 6:58:04 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

There was however a major piss/bottle storm when Megadeth were on I seem to remember

My parents didn't let me go in 1989 after the deaths (and secondly because by that time I was a massive GN'R fan and I guess they thought it was their fault ) but I managed 1990 and 1991.
The grunge years hit me then and turning up at Donno in a bandanna and latex trousers just wasn't cool anymore.

Don't worry, you didn't miss anything - it wasn't on.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 93
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 25/4/2012 3:27:01 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 94
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 27/4/2012 9:33:34 AM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yeah, forgot that. They still wouldn't have let me anyway

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 95
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 5/5/2012 5:02:06 PM   
Spaldron

# 9

Title - Fear of the Dark
Year - 1992
UK Chart - # 1
Line Up
Bruce Dickinson vocals
Dave Murray guitar
Janick Gers guitar
Steve Harris bass
Nicko McBrain drums
Tracks
1. "Be Quick or Be Dead"
2. "From Here to Eternity"
3. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"
4. "Fear Is the Key"
5. "Childhood's End"
6. "Wasting Love"
7. "The Fugitive"
8. "Chains of Misery"
9. "The Apparition"
10. "Judas Be My Guide"
11. "Weekend Warrior"
12. "Fear of the Dark"

This album marked an end of an era for Maiden for plenty of reasons. The last album to feature Martin Birch behind the desk (who buggered off to retire and play golf or something), the album that signalled the end of Derek Riggs' cover artwork (the cover was actually done by Melvyn Grant when Riggs' work was rejected) and most significantly this was to be Bruce Dickinson's swansong for Maiden (for the time being at least) who bailed to pursue his promising solo career. Recovering from the negative reaction NPFTD received, not least for the shoddy production sound the band wisely opted to convert Steve Harris' barn (where they recorded the previous album using a mobile studio) into an actual studio with actual studio equipment instead of haystacks and stuff.

The band clearly put more effort in to the songs this time around, recapturing some (but not all) of their 80's magic and it more or less paid off. Probably their best studio album of the 90's and reaching # 1 in the UK album charts (it would be Maidens last chart topper for nearly 18 years), FOTD kicks off in serious style. Album opener and first single Be Quick Or Be Dead is a real thrashy number, easily one of their heaviest ever tracks with themes of capitalism and corporate greed (and setting the trend for an increasingly political Maiden). From Here To Eternity continues the more straight up rocker approach of the previous album with a catchy chorus and rock n' roll riffs but overall a let down. It was also the final song to feature Charlotte the Harlot but frankly isn't a patch on the original song or 22 Acacia Avenue (although it is better than Hooks In You).

Wasting Love is interestingly Maidens sole power ballad and works well for a time but fails to deliver on its early promise while Afraid To Shoot Strangers, with its anti-war message and powerful lyrics dealing with the Gulf War ("Trying to visualize the horrors that will lay ahead The desert sand mound a burial ground") its one of the albums finest tracks. Same goes for the title tack and album closer, Fear Of The Dark became an instant classic with some massive riffs and trademark Maiden time changes, although to really appreciate this song you have to hear the live version where the crowd sing along to every melody, which is why it remains in Maidens set to this day. Other tracks worth some mention; Judas Be My Guide, a decent (if slightly generic) Maiden rocker and Childhood's End. Not one of their finest songs but notable for its haunting Celtic melody which the rest of the song struggles to top.

The rest of the album is mostly filler with a few noble failures. The Fugitive is largely forgettable as is The Apparition which starts and goes nowhere, complete tosh. Weekend Warrior sounds like some B-side the band wrote on their tea break. Fear Is The Key is a funny one, it starts off well with a fine riff reminiscent of the Powerslave era and a decent chorus before quickly losing the plot and disappearing up its own arse and staying there. Its clear Maiden just didn't know where to go on that one so just stuck a bunch of riffs together and hoped for the best. And the less said about Chains of Misery the better, an embarrassing song with a chorus that may as well have been written by Twisted Sister. At least the album has a decent production sound on it (unlike its predecessor) and ultimately served the band well throughout the subsequent tour (and second Donington headliner) but ultimately is the sound of a band running out of steam (and ideas) fast and trying to recapture some of that old glory. A hit and miss in retrospect, farewell Bruce.

Highlights - Be Quick or Be Dead, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Fear of the Dark

6.5/10

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 96
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 7/5/2012 2:13:20 PM   
horribleives

Ah, the point where me and Maiden parted company for a good decade or so. Be Quick or Be Dead and Afraid To Shoot Strangers are decent but there's some absolute rubbish on this one. And the cover's crap too.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 97
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 9/5/2012 4:51:43 PM   
jediwarrior

Same with me. This was the last one I bought until Rock in Rio (live) and then Dance of Death.

As I was in the IM Fan Club at the time I won tickets to see Dickinson's last concert at Pinewood studios which was being filmed and shown live in some countries.

As for FOTD. It's not a great album but it bought us the great FOTD song which is a great sing a long at gigs. Also Wasted Love has grown on me after hearing a live version of it.

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 98
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 9/5/2012 5:12:28 PM   
DancingClown

I didn't get into Maiden until about 1994. Bruce had already left although in the pre-digital/internet age I didn't know this at all until I saw that bollocks farewell concert they did. I was gutted. Just getting into a great band when the iconic singer had already buggered off.

I was doing A-levels at the time and I have a lot of affection for FOTD. From Here To Eternity is laughably bad - "she wiped his kick-start clean!" (snort) - but I'm actually quite fond of Weekend Warrior, Childhood's End and Wasted Love. I like Fear Is The Key as well, for at least some of the lyrical content was maturing beyond the obvious Maiden fare. I liked the insert photos of the band skulking around some ancient ruin - anyone know where it was? - although I noted that most of the band were still going for the white trainer/dad jeans fashion look. Afraid to Shoot Strangers awesome. Overall definitely an improvement on NPFTD.

1995 saw my first failed attempt at university. It also saw the introduction of Blaze and the X-factor, another album which, for good or bad, is like a bookmark in time for me. I look forward to seeing what Spaldy has to say about it.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 99
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 9/5/2012 6:38:33 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Same with me. This was the last one I bought until Rock in Rio (live) and then Dance of Death.

As I was in the IM Fan Club at the time I won tickets to see Dickinson's last concert at Pinewood studios which was being filmed and shown live in some countries.

As for FOTD. It's not a great album but it bought us the great FOTD song which is a great sing a long at gigs. Also Wasted Love has grown on me after hearing a live version of it.

See, I quite like this tune musically but I just can't get away with the lyrics - this is a band who wrote epics about murder, insanity, satanism, warfare, greek myth, ancient egypt, the impending apocalypse. The last thing I expected was a group singalong about being scared to sleep with the light off.

Post #: 100
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 10/5/2012 4:14:54 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

See, I quite like this tune musically but I just can't get away with the lyrics - this is a band who wrote epics about murder, insanity, satanism, warfare, greek myth, ancient egypt, the impending apocalypse. The last thing I expected was a group singalong about being scared to sleep with the light off.

Agree the lyrics ain't great but it's gets the crowd bouncing at the gigs

Post #: 101
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 10/5/2012 6:01:03 PM   
horribleives

I've just realised this album, one I always think of as 'latterday' Maiden, is twenty years old. Which means I'm not 14 any more. Fuck.

Post #: 102
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 11/5/2012 1:19:22 PM   
Russ Whitfield

quote:

I've just realised this album, one I always think of as 'latterday' Maiden, is twenty years old.

Me too.

The horror. The horror

www.soldiergirlsmovie.com/
www.i-spimovie.com/

Post #: 103
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 28/5/2012 12:22:25 PM   
Spaldron

Just thought I'd share this.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/the-number-of-the-beast-voted-best-british-album-of-the-past-60-years-in-hmvs-national-survey-to-mark-the-diamond-jubilee.html

(in reply to Russ Whitfield)
Post #: 104
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 30/5/2012 4:16:39 PM   
jediwarrior

Damn I was thinking the next review was up.

Excellent to see NOTB make the No 1 spot. Makes a change from the usual albums being in the top spot.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 105
RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. - 17/7/2012 4:49:50 PM   
Spaldron

Live Album # 2 & 3

Title - A Real Live/Dead One
Year - 1993
UK Chart - # 3 & 12
Line Up
Bruce Dickinson vocals
Dave Murray guitar
Janick Gers guitar
Steve Harris bass
Nicko McBrain drums
Tracks

A Real Live One

1. "Be Quick or Be Dead"
2. "From Here to Eternity"
3. "Can I Play with Madness"
4. "Wasting Love"
5. "Tailgunner"
6. "The Evil That Men Do"
7. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"
8. "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter"
9. "Heaven Can Wait"
10. "The Clairvoyant"
11. "Fear of the Dark"

A Real Dead One

1. "The Number of the Beast"
2. "The Trooper"
3. "Prowler"
4. "Transylvania"
5. "Remember Tomorrow"
6. "Where Eagles Dare"
7. "Sanctuary"
8. "Running Free"
9. "Run to the Hills"
10. "2 Minutes to Midnight"
11. "Iron Maiden"
12. "Hallowed Be Thy Name"

The first two of three live albums released in 1993 which coincidentally was Dickinson's last year in Maiden (for a while at least) these two were recorded over multiple European tour dates. Live One features songs mainly from the post-Somewhere In Time era and Dead One focuses on the earlier songs. Both albums were eventually compiled into a double album for the '98 reissues on which this review is based. I'm not going to beat around the bush here, while the songs on offer are a great bunch they're sadly overshadowed by some quite bad sound quality. Some songs, particularly on the first disc sound as if they were recorded on a mobile phone while the rest are just very basic sounding. Not as if a stripped down raw production is necessarily a bad thing for a live album but it just doesn't suit Maiden's later material.

Of the two discs the second is by far the superior. The focus on the early material means the lack of a decent sound mix fits the songs better with tracks like Remember Tomorrow and Prowler better suited to the raw sound. Overall despite a few good performances like Where Eagles Dare the band (Bruce in particular) sound a tad uninspired as if they're treading water. Of course the 90's marked Madien's career low point so this is all retrospective. Of Madien's many (many( live albums this is one of the weakest and frankly has nothing new to offer except for the purist.

Highlights - Remember Tomorrow, Transylvania
5/10

Live Album # 4

Title - Live At Donington
Year - 1993
UK Chart - # 23
Line Up
Bruce Dickinson vocals
Dave Murray guitar
Janick Gers guitar
Steve Harris bass
Nicko McBrain drums
Tracks

Disc One

1. "Be Quick or Be Dead"
2. "The Number of the Beast"
3. "Wrathchild"
4. "From Here to Eternity"
5. "Can I Play with Madness"
6. "Wasting Love"
7. "Tailgunner"
8. "The Evil That Men Do"
9. "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"
10. "Fear of the Dark"
11. "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter"
12. "The Clairvoyant"
13. "Heaven Can Wait"
14. "Run to the Hills"

Disc Two

1. "2 Minutes to Midnight"
2. "Iron Maiden"
3. "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
4. "The Trooper"
5. "Sanctuary"
6. "Running Free (feat. Adrian Smith)"

Live at Donington was the third live album Maiden released in '93 celebrating their second headline appearance at Monsters of Rock. Originally put out as a limited edition "official bootleg", it was later repackaged as part of the Maiden discography for the '98 re-releases. There was also a VHS which accompanied the initial release which was by all standards, Maidens best looking live video at the time (some say ever) utilising multiple 35mm cameras running at various speeds, the video is a joy to watch. However I'm reviewing the album and sadly (like A Real Live/Dead One) its let down by the sound. Seriously was their sound engineer asleep for the whole of '93 because this album sounds crap. Even worse than the above live albums, Live at Donington sounds as if it was shat out a dogs arse in a swamp. The sound is muddy, flat with the guitars almost inaudible in places while the bass just flops over everything. Its a real shame as the songs are superb and judging by the video Maiden put on a great show. The only highlight here is Running Free which (briefly) reunited Adrian Smith with the band (foreshadowing things to come), the rest is "meh", take it or leave it. The album simply stands as a last gasp for a band about to hit the rocks.

Here's hoping the video gets a dvd re-release with a new sound mix.

Highlights - From Here to Eternity, Running Free

4/10

Post #: 106
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Spaldy's Iron Maiden Album Rundown. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI