Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Starship Troopers Remake Planned

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Starship Troopers Remake Planned Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starship Troopers Remake Planned - 4/12/2011 8:31:50 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 4/12/2011 8:31:50 PM   
steveg66

The original still stands the test of time with it's fx. And Watkins last stand with that awesome music can't be topped. Leave it alone unless Denise Richards gets her kit off the next time!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Crap poll - 4/12/2011 8:32:16 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Mine would be:

Yes - I like the original but it would be good to see something different. Perhaps more faithful to the source material rather than as a platform for a satire on the US and its war aims.

Post #: 3
- 5/12/2011 8:42:50 AM   
broganlovin

The original Starship Troopers is a proper cult classic and absolutely does NOT need a remake! The sequels were fairly pathetic and despite them bring back Casper Van Dien for ST3: Marauder, it was still woeful at best.

Post #: 4
Why not!? - 5/12/2011 10:36:13 AM   
JensonJet

I like the story, the plot, the premise of Starship Troopers. But I didn't care for Verhoeven’s effort. I think he's a terrible director. Uwe Bolle, McG or PWS Anderson would be a massive improvement on this fool! I think pretty much everything about ST is weak, badly judged, poor or just simply amateur. Anyway, fortunately his career is over, and he'll never get an opportunity to waste our time, or investors money again. So, yeah, why not remake this film. I think there's a good movie to be made with the right script, director, cast, editor, and producers. I wouldn't advocate remaking anything, but in the case of a outright piece of shi... why not! Movies only exist to make money, and I think there is money to be made from a half decent remake on this occasion.

Post #: 5
RE: Starship Troopers Remake Planned - 5/12/2011 11:32:54 AM   
Super Hans

Seems like an odd choice of film to remake - I can't imagine that there is much call for a remake/re-imagining/reboot/any-other-half-cocked-term-to-disguise-creative-laziness.  The 1997 film is still great fun - like Robocop before it, a Verhoven film with equal parts dumb gory fun and very funny satire.

I haven't read the novel for comparisson - didn't even know there was one until fairly recently - but is it major and well known enough to really justify another take on it?  Is there an army of fans out there crying out for a more accurate realisation of it?  I can't help thinking that the penchant for remakes has somehow hit, lazy kind of low when they are rehashing stuff like this.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 6
RE: Why not!? - 5/12/2011 12:28:43 PM   
VincentWire

quote:

ORIGINAL: JensonJet

I like the story, the plot, the premise of Starship Troopers. But I didn't care for Verhoeven’s effort. I think he's a terrible director. Uwe Bolle, McG or PWS Anderson would be a massive improvement on this fool! I think pretty much everything about ST is weak, badly judged, poor or just simply amateur. Anyway, fortunately his career is over, and he'll never get an opportunity to waste our time, or investors money again. So, yeah, why not remake this film. I think there's a good movie to be made with the right script, director, cast, editor, and producers. I wouldn't advocate remaking anything, but in the case of a outright piece of shi... why not! Movies only exist to make money, and I think there is money to be made from a half decent remake on this occasion.

By the sounds of it, you're exactly the kind of person that Verhoeven sets out to annoy. So at least he can take comfort in that during his career's death throes (as you would have it).

(in reply to JensonJet)
Post #: 7
RE: Starship Troopers Remake Planned - 5/12/2011 1:10:37 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans
I haven't read the novel for comparison - didn't even know there was one until fairly recently - but is it major and well known enough to really justify another take on it?  Is there an army of fans out there crying out for a more accurate realisation of it?  I can't help thinking that the penchant for remakes has somehow hit, lazy kind of low when they are rehashing stuff like this.

I 'd say it isn't well known enough. But, if they translate the source material as faithfully as possible (with such additions as the powered armour and the 'Skinny' enemies) then it could be interesting. Clearly, there's a political line running through the book (superbly subverted by Verhoeven in 1997) with elements of fascism, militarism, role/duty of a citizen and a civilian etc; so how much of that they'd want to translate I don't know. I would rather see a faithful adaptation, I'd like to think the producers could ignore the politics of the book and just adapt the book as it was written. It would certainly make for an interesting film that could stand apart from the 1997 version.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 8
- 5/12/2011 9:15:38 PM   
skeletonjack

I love the original Starship Troopers, great FX, great score, great fun. It really deserved a proper big budget, big screen sequel, not the poor direct to video efforts that were spawned. Don't want a remake, but a proper sequel would be welcome.

Post #: 9
Great poll...! and, uh..sure why not? if... - 3/3/2012 8:10:52 AM   
baronpvt

if it's NOTHING like the "sequels"... (straight-to-video crap, IMHO) ... i know I'm a bit late to this thread... but the comments by Super Hans and Emyr Thy King made me smile. Hans, I don't know if you're a fan of Robert Heinlein, or sci-fi books in general.. or even much of a 'for entertainment' reader....but I gather that you're an action/sci-fi movie fan.. or you wouldn't care enough to vote or comment... first, Heinlein... only read about 6-7 of his books... I say "6-7" because 3 of them I could not finish. They were that bad. (again, one man's entirely unsolicited opinion) However, 2 of them (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress & Job:A Comedy of Errors) were pretty good. And 2 Of them are likely 2 of the maybe top 20 best pieces of fiction ever penned. Stranger in a Strange Land is easily a top 10 novel for me. Even the "directors cut" with the whole 'everyone screws everyone... alot.' chapter(s). But I do also love the original version. And this is coming from someone who isn't really much of a sci-fi reader...2001 is likely the only other spacey/sci-fi type novel ranked up there. Sorry to drone on, but Hans, if you are a fan of literature, and non-comic satire AT ALL, I would highly recommend reading Starship Troopers. And one reason I know you'd at least partially love it? Your taste in film. The main reason all these hyper-nerds (myself among) are clamoring for an "accurate" rendition? THE FREAKING ARMOR!!!!!! He spends a whole chapter describing it, and.. properly realized on film it would be a geek-gasm beyond explosive description. The pacing is very different, and there is alot of talking and character development so I don't think nearly anyone wants a totally faithful book to film.. eh? Everybody likey the shooty-shooty am I right? I love the Verhoeven action trilogy (RoboCop, Total Recall, Starship natch) and I love that he went over the top with the action... Wikipedia quote him says he never even read t

Post #: 10
Great poll...! and, uh..sure why not? if... - 3/3/2012 8:11:06 AM   
baronpvt

if it's NOTHING like the "sequels"... (straight-to-video crap, IMHO) ... i know I'm a bit late to this thread... but the comments by Super Hans and Emyr Thy King made me smile. Hans, I don't know if you're a fan of Robert Heinlein, or sci-fi books in general.. or even much of a 'for entertainment' reader....but I gather that you're an action/sci-fi movie fan.. or you wouldn't care enough to vote or comment... first, Heinlein... only read about 6-7 of his books... I say "6-7" because 3 of them I could not finish. They were that bad. (again, one man's entirely unsolicited opinion) However, 2 of them (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress & Job:A Comedy of Errors) were pretty good. And 2 Of them are likely 2 of the maybe top 20 best pieces of fiction ever penned. Stranger in a Strange Land is easily a top 10 novel for me. Even the "directors cut" with the whole 'everyone screws everyone... alot.' chapter(s). But I do also love the original version. And this is coming from someone who isn't really much of a sci-fi reader...2001 is likely the only other spacey/sci-fi type novel ranked up there. Sorry to drone on, but Hans, if you are a fan of literature, and non-comic satire AT ALL, I would highly recommend reading Starship Troopers. And one reason I know you'd at least partially love it? Your taste in film. The main reason all these hyper-nerds (myself among) are clamoring for an "accurate" rendition? THE FREAKING ARMOR!!!!!! He spends a whole chapter describing it, and.. properly realized on film it would be a geek-gasm beyond explosive description. The pacing is very different, and there is alot of talking and character development so I don't think nearly anyone wants a totally faithful book to film.. eh? Everybody likey the shooty-shooty am I right? I love the Verhoeven action trilogy (RoboCop, Total Recall, Starship natch) and I love that he went over the top with the action... Wikipedia quote him says he never even read t

Post #: 11
why not? if it's NOTHING like 2 or 3 - 3/3/2012 8:12:35 AM   
baronpvt

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Starship Troopers Remake Planned Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI