Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The FA Cup 2011/12

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 11:04:42 AM   
Olaf

It's hard to get a good sense of it without seeing it in real time, but it's a really unnatural movement of his arm even if it isn't intentional (a more reflexive thing like his handball against Ghana comes to mind). It happens all the time against everyone - I'd imagine Suarez is a more popular target than say, Peter Crouch cheating blatantly against Man City - so it's difficult to argue for a replay or something specifically in this case (though there is a sort of precedent http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-offers-fa-cup-rematch ). all the same, you end up looking like a bit of an arsehole cheating to beat a non-league team. And celebrating it like he did doesn't really help either.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 7/1/2013 11:05:21 AM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 241
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 11:14:51 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Let me just say that this isnt an agenda against Suarez, because we've seen plenty of footballers cheat over the course of the past few years,but Suarez doesn't make it better for himself.
But its clear I don't think he cares,as Olaf pointed out to his response to the Ghana WC incident.

I do want to talk about the Ameobi sending off though and the Brighton's players exaggerated feigning ,which was frankly just embarrassing.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 242
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 11:21:07 AM   
Saltire

Its like water off a ducks back to Suarez, he just gets on with it. Good luck to him

Post #: 243
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 11:26:51 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Its like water off a ducks back to Suarez, he just gets on with it. Good luck to him

Do you not think, as a Liverpool fan, that he makes things unnecessarily difficult for himself (and for the club's image) by doing stuff like this? He's one of the most talented players in the league but instead he's an ear-biting diving handballing racist*. He's either braindead or a sociopath if he's conscious of the effect actions like this have on other teams and on himself, but does it anyway.

*I should clarify that I mean this is how he's perceived in the press, rather than my own opinion. personally I don't really care too much, though he is a bit of a twat.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 7/1/2013 11:31:51 AM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 244
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 11:27:02 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

Its like water off a ducks back to Suarez, he just gets on with it and continues cheating. Good luck to him

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 245
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 11:52:13 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Do you not think, as a Liverpool fan, that he makes things unnecessarily difficult for himself (and for the club's image) by doing stuff like this? He's one of the most talented players in the league but instead he's an ear-biting diving handballing racist*. He's either braindead or a sociopath if he's conscious of the effect actions like this have on other teams and on himself, but does it anyway.

*I should clarify that I mean this is how he's perceived in the press, rather than my own opinion. personally I don't really care too much, though he is a bit of a twat.

I didn't see the incident this weekend, but it does smack of the hint that we (some deep psyche of the British) don't really like talent and are most happy when there is a flaw to balance out the good.

Personally I've been quite / very meh about Liverpool in the last 6 or 7 seasons. IMO they've played some pretty lousy football over that period. But as a neutral, I'll happily tune in to watch Suarez as he's one of the best performers in the PL at the minute. And it doesn't hurt if Sterling is playing too.

I think the racism thing did hurt the image of Liverpool last year, but I do think a lot of that was actually due to the crap way it was handled after the incident as much as the incident itself.

As I said last season, I think its actually to the benefit of Liverpool that Suarez courts controversy, otherwise I think there'd be much more interest in him from "bigger" clubs.

EDIT: I should also add that I think Rodgers might be about to make a big gamble. He's got a striker who has found form this season and has scored 15 times. He's not planning to move that player to make room for Sturridge. I don't think I wholly get that plan.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 7/1/2013 11:57:55 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 246
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 11:57:48 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I didn't see the incident this weekend, but it does smack of the hint that we (some deep psyche of the British) don't really like talent and are most happy when there is a flaw to balance out the good.

Personally I've been quite / very meh about Liverpool in the last 6 or 7 seasons. IMO they've played some pretty lousy football over that period. But as a neutral, I'll happily tune in to watch Suarez as he's one of the best performers in the PL at the minute. And it doesn't hurt if Sterling is playing too.

I think the racism thing did hurt the image of Liverpool last year, but I do think a lot of that was actually due to the crap way it was handled after the incident as much as the incident itself.

As I said last season, I think its actually to the benefit of Liverpool that Suarez courts controversy, otherwise I think there'd be much more interest in him from "bigger" clubs.

Hmm,wholeheartedly disagree with that.
You just need to see the plaudits RVP,Silva,Mata,Cazorla to name but a few get in the PL.
Its not about desliking talent or ability its simply about cheating which Suarez has done more than most.
He wouldn't have a reputation if he didn't make one,which he unfortunately has.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 247
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 12:44:47 PM   
jediwarrior

But it don't seem to bother Suarez, it just seems to make him try harder. Look at Moyles, he had spoke about Suarez diving and it just fired him up that game. Scored one, made the other and should of had the winner in the last minute.
He is in awesome form this season, I love watching the guy. He didn't really celebrate the guy much I think he thought it be disallowed. Yeah he kissed his wrist which he does everytime he scores, but the way it was reported that he kissed the hand cause he handballed it.

As for him playing with Sturridge I think both will inter-change with each other during the games finding space between defenders, one might go out to the wing while one goes to the middle.

Also regarding diving do you know which premiership player has been booked most for diving in the past year? Gareth Bale but you don't see him slag off in the press all the time and why is that?

< Message edited by jediwarrior -- 7/1/2013 12:47:39 PM >

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Post #: 248
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 1:47:13 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

But it don't seem to bother Suarez, it just seems to make him try harder. Look at Moyles, he had spoke about Suarez diving and it just fired him up that game. Scored one, made the other and should of had the winner in the last minute.
He is in awesome form this season, I love watching the guy. He didn't really celebrate the guy much I think he thought it be disallowed. Yeah he kissed his wrist which he does everytime he scores, but the way it was reported that he kissed the hand cause he handballed it.

As for him playing with Sturridge I think both will inter-change with each other during the games finding space between defenders, one might go out to the wing while one goes to the middle.

Also regarding diving do you know which premiership player has been booked most for diving in the past year? Gareth Bale but you don't see him slag off in the press all the time and why is that?

Gareth Bale doesn't (as far as i know) have a taste for human flesh and/or is a racist as far as we know. With Suarez, cheating and plain scummery is in his DNA. That may partly be the reason why no one outside of Liverpool likes him.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 249
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:01:52 PM   
Olaf

It's nice that it doesn't bother him, but it's not like he's the only one affected by what he does, is it? Mansfield are out of the FA Cup because him cheating, Ghana went out of the WC because of him cheating, Liverpool were left without their best player for a month last season because of him racially abusing another player. You're right that he celebrates all of his goals the same way, and it's silly to take it as a gesture of celebrating the handball, but doesn't it still show a pretty hilarious lack of self-awareness? Thus he's either an idiot (who doesn't realise what's he done/doing wrong) or just a bit of a knob (who realises what he's doing wrong and does it anyway).

and Gareth Bale is indeed one of the biggest twats in the league (as an Arsenal fan, I don't need to be told twice ). I honestly agree that the press has something in for Suarez particularly and that British players get off for the same thing - hence my reference to the Peter Crouch/Man City incident earlier this season - but it's a bit of a straw man argument when discussing Suarez. Yes, he gets it worse from the media than Gareth Bale, but he wouldn't get it at all if he didn't cheat.

Post #: 250
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:09:56 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Ghana went out of the WC because of him cheating,

They went out because they missed the resulting penalty from his cheating.

And then more penalties in the shootout.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 251
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:16:48 PM   
directorscut

Does anyone really care that Mansfield are out?

Suarez will contribute more quality football to the cup than the entirety of their team put together.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 252
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:18:06 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

But the penalties are a result of the cheating. The ball he handled was going in if he didn't handle it.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 253
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:19:09 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Suarez will contribute more quality football to the cup than the entirety of their team put together.

you're forgetting about The Magic of the Cup.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 254
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:20:05 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, but my point is they had the chance to win the match nonetheless.

I get what you're saying, but I also think it's not as straightforward (in this case) of saying that Suarez cheated them out of a semi-final place.

Mansfield might well be a different case - haven't seen the match.

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 255
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:24:33 PM   
Olaf

Well, I'm exaggerating the point for emphasis - you can't say that any individual player has cheated a team out of a result because there's another 90/120 minutes give or take for said team to get something from the match (Henry didn't cheat Ireland out of the WC because Ireland didn't score earlier, Mansfield didn't score earlier etc etc). But that doesn't change the fact that a player cheating was one of the key events of all those matches, and happened to be the decisive event.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 256
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:27:51 PM   
directorscut

If that were England vs. Ghana it would be "Brave man. He stood up like a man and took one for the team."

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 257
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:37:37 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

If that were England vs. Ghana it would be "Brave man. He stood up like a man and took one for the team."

You talking about penatlies

Post #: 258
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:39:10 PM   
matty_b

No, it wouldn't.

quote:

Well, I'm exaggerating the point for emphasis - you can't say that any individual player has cheated a team out of a result because there's another 90/120 minutes give or take for said team to get something from the match (Henry didn't cheat Ireland out of the WC because Ireland didn't score earlier, Mansfield didn't score earlier etc etc). But that doesn't change the fact that a player cheating was one of the key events of all those matches, and happened to be the decisive event.

Oh, I know that. I'm just struggling to think of any example where the team that was offended against had such a clear-cut chance to put the game to bed and eliminate the need for any debate as to the culpability of the player in them not getting through. Unfortunately for them, they didn't take that chance, which had nothing to do with Suarez.

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 259
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:46:29 PM   
jonson

quote:

I care. I think they deserved a replay at least, and they would have got it if it weren't for the handball incident. They deserve that much. Also, financially, it might be the difference between Mansfield surviving a couple more seasons and not. And besides, without lower division clubs, Liverpool would have no-one to get their players from.

As for Suarez, it's a shame his level of arrogance is so high. He is IMO the best footballer in the country at the moment, but for as long as the goofy cunt pulls on a Liverool shirt, I'll only ever want them to lose.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 260
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:55:38 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

quote:

quote:

But the penalties are a result of the cheating. The ball he handled was going in if he didn't handle it.

Okay Arsenal are in the Champions League final. You're one goal up in the last minute and one of your players handballs a shot which is going in and is sent off. That team then put the Pen over the bar and you win the final. What do you think of your player?

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 261
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:58:07 PM   
jonson

quote:

What do you think of your player?

See your av

Post #: 262
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 2:58:28 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

No, it wouldn't.

quote:

Oh, I know that. I'm just struggling to think of any example where the team that was offended against had such a clear-cut chance to put the game to bed and eliminate the need for any debate as to the culpability of the player in them not getting through. Unfortunately for them, they didn't take that chance, which had nothing to do with Suarez.

Lets be honest if Ghana had scored the pen and won, the handball would hardly get mentioned.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 263
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 3:02:14 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay Arsenal are in the Champions League final. You're one goal up in the last minute and one of your players handballs a shot which is going in and is sent off. That team then put the Pen over the bar and you win the final. What do you think of your player?

I'd honestly be disgusted to win a final that way. Anyone who considers football to be anything more meaningful than just seeing their own team win would say the same, I'd imagine.

Post #: 264
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 4:27:22 PM   
Brooksy84

I find the whole "he doesn't help himself" argument very amusing. Of course he's contributed in many ways to the reputation he currently holds, but if fans, players and pundits can't analyse an incident objectively without the comfort blanket of a player's "previous" then it's a pretty sorry state of affairs in my opinion.

http://averagefootballfan.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 265
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 5:15:53 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

I find the whole "he doesn't help himself" argument very amusing. Of course he's contributed in many ways to the reputation he currently holds, but if fans, players and pundits can't analyse an incident objectively without the comfort blanket of a player's "previous" then it's a pretty sorry state of affairs in my opinion.

Ditto. It was reactionary and I don't think any other premiership player would have done any different, Paul Cox was incredibly noble and selfless in his post-match interview and his comments are the ones everyone should read, for a non-league manager he says it how it is, unfortunately they'll get backlogged by all this Suarez despise. The whole incident, I wish, would force up the debate of video technology further, but I know it won't.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Brooksy84)
Post #: 266
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 7/1/2013 6:06:04 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

The ball doesn't respond onto Suarez hand though does it.Its actually extremely clear he places the ball into his footing-path.

quote:

It's hard to get a good sense of it without seeing it in real time, but it's a really unnatural movement of his arm even if it isn't intentional (a more reflexive thing like his handball against Ghana comes to mind).

As Suarez runs through and shoots at the keeper both of his arms go up for balance. Then as the ball hits his hand he moves his arm back behind him and his hand flicks back in an unnatural way (quite camply actually as if he's saying 'Ooooh a ball hit me'). That unnatural movement there seems to me like he's trying to move his hand out of the way of the ball rather than keeping it there for a deliberate handball. It seems to me he either nudged a ball down with his hand instinctively or the ball hit his hand and he couldn't avoid it. Only Suarez knows which but both arms are up before the handball.

quote:

Mansfield are out of the FA Cup because him cheating,

No they're not. They were already 1-0 down.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I care. I think they deserved a replay at least, and they would have got it if it weren't for the handball incident. They deserve that much.

Why do they deserve a replay? And how do you know they would have got it it weren't for the handball?

I think Suarez is a bit of a scumbag and I don't think being a wonderful footballer should excuse that. But at the same time the amount of flack he takes for things plenty of other players do is quite silly. Especially the outrage over this handball with people expecting him to own up when the instances of players owning up is very, very rare.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 267
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 8/1/2013 7:34:50 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

I care. I think they deserved a replay at least, and they would have got it if it weren't for the handball incident. They deserve that much.

Why do they deserve a replay? And how do you know they would have got it it weren't for the handball?

My bad, I thought it was 1-1 when the goal was given.

As for Suarez, I don't really like the bloke, but to be fair, I think the reaction would be the same if Van Persie had done it, or Torres, or anyone really. Sure, he gets bad press because basically, he's a scumbag, a good footballer, but a scumbag.
I thought his reaction to scoring was quite tame ctaually, he knew straight away "headline" in his mind, but what does he do? Admit to handball?
It's up to the referee, and even then, if he doesn't think it was giving the player the advantage (whether it's accidental or not) play continues. So it's not Suarez's fault at all, and I don't believe he deliberately did it at all.
But he's cunt, so we continue to pick on him, hound him out of the country to go and play in La Liga with the good footballers.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 268
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 8/1/2013 8:00:08 AM   
matty_b

Robbie Fowler made a good point today that if defenders don't admit to fouling strikers in or around the box, why should Suarez admit to a handball?

quote:

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 269
RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 - 8/1/2013 7:23:42 PM   
Rinc

quote:

As for Suarez, I don't really like the bloke, but to be fair, I think the reaction would be the same if Van Persie had done it, or Torres, or anyone really. Sure, he gets bad press because basically, he's a scumbag, a good footballer, but a scumbag.

I really don't think the reaction would have been the same. No player generates the same level of vitriol at the moment apart from maybe John Terry. It's partly down to Suarez himself though, what does he expect if he goes around biting people, calling them naughty words and knocking teams out of World Cups?!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The FA Cup 2011/12 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI