Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Brazil legend Socrates dead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Brazil legend Socrates dead Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brazil legend Socrates dead - 4/12/2011 10:50:32 AM   
Harry Lime

Clicky here

Great player. One of the first footballers I actually remember - Maybe because he was so striking in the middle of the park. I idolised him throughout the 1986 World Cup and remember playing "as him" with my mates at primary school.

This is sad news. It's made me feel quite nostalgic.

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 4/12/2011 10:51:52 AM >

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.
Post #: 1
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 4/12/2011 12:02:20 PM   
boaby

Legend.

A proper footballer. Skill, vision, flair, style. Entertaining.

Great man too.

R.I.P.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 4/12/2011 1:52:47 PM   
directorscut

All we are is dust in the wind.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 3
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 4/12/2011 2:29:04 PM   
Rhubarb

Legend.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 4
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 4/12/2011 6:01:46 PM   
Saltire

rip socrates, i was too young to remember you in 82, but saw you in 86 a brilliant mercurial player you were and unlike most footballers you had a brain as well becoming a doctor. you will be missed.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 5
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 4/12/2011 6:24:31 PM   
garvielloken

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 6
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 4/12/2011 9:31:05 PM   
MOTH

Ah no. that's really sad. One of the first players i remember watching along with the likes of Zico. Not just a wonderful footballer, but a noted intellectual, heavy drinker and smoker, no less. And of course, he is the subject of an urban myth of the highest order in Ireland. The story goes that whilst studying medicine in Dublin, he tried his hand at GAA, turned out to be naturally brilliant at it, and won a Sigerson Cup medal for UCD. Sadly, it turns out this is complete bollocks, but it is a measure of the man's sporting excellence that people find it easy to believe. I still tell it to people from time to time to keep the myth alive and after today, I will do again soon.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 7
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 5/12/2011 1:06:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Impossible to remember the '86 World Cup and not remember Socrates. Very sad news.

Don't know if anyone else listens to the Football Ramble podcast, but here's his entry to the Dean Windass Hall of Fame http://www.thefootballramble.com/dwhof/entrant/socrates

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 8
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 5/12/2011 2:07:12 PM   
Harry Lime

Nice. The man was a pure legend.

Here's a good clip of him running the show against Spain in '86.

Genius

It's pretty much the perfect example of what a great midfielder should do - Break up play, one or two touches, short and long passes, constant movement, give and go and, oh yes, bursting into the box to score the winning goal! It's beautiful to watch. His cheeky back-heels were always great to watch and don't miss the pinged, Hollywood pass into the left channel at around the 5:00 mark.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 9
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 5/12/2011 2:17:40 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

All we are is dust in the wind.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 10
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 5/12/2011 4:42:42 PM   
matthewforan

RIP Doctor, a real shame I recall watching old videos of Brazil when I was younger and being totally blown away by him and Zico. A true great and legend of the game....

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 11
RE: Brazil legend Socrates dead - 5/12/2011 5:08:19 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

Ah no. that's really sad. One of the first players i remember watching along with the likes of Zico. Not just a wonderful footballer, but a noted intellectual, heavy drinker and smoker, no less. And of course, he is the subject of an urban myth of the highest order in Ireland. The story goes that whilst studying medicine in Dublin, he tried his hand at GAA, turned out to be naturally brilliant at it, and won a Sigerson Cup medal for UCD. Sadly, it turns out this is complete bollocks, but it is a measure of the man's sporting excellence that people find it easy to believe. I still tell it to people from time to time to keep the myth alive and after today, I will do again soon.

Wow. Cool story though.

As above, I remember him in the 86 world cup, and being a naive 13 year old, I thought he was a philosopher as well
Great player, will be sadly missed.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Brazil legend Socrates dead Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI