Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Religious Propaganda

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Religious Propaganda Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 12:47:44 PM   
Englebertnightingale

LOL

The return of Timon.

I had a feeling you'd be back.

You just can;t resist this discussion, it's so addictive.

I recall, perhaps on page 4 you announced that you would take your leave
yet here you are again.

Weekend was okay, not enough sleep. Working in Japan, I feel like I never sleep.
No-one does. People fall asleep at their desks here all the time.

I'm kind of exhausted with this debate at present. I'm also a little bit disappointed with
some of the bullying from some of the moderators.

quote:

Bullshit

I can't debate this, as it doesn't really put anything on the table.
I however have put heaps on the table. like it or leave it, it's what I think
and at least I'm critical and not passive of entertainment.

calm down, I'm not saying you're passive, so chill out Rambo.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 151
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 1:07:34 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Englebertnightingale

I'm kind of exhausted with this debate at present. I'm also a little bit disappointed with
some of the bullying from some of the moderators.

If you're unhappy with the conduct of the moderators then please take it up with the Forum administrator, James Dyer.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Englebertnightingale)
Post #: 152
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 1:11:34 PM   
Rgirvan44

James Dyer may, or may not, be as real as Noah. None of us are quite sure. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 153
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 1:29:28 PM   
Dirk Miggler

It could be cool, it could be religious propaganda it could also be complete shit, that carries no message whatsoever. Which would make this debate, if that's what even is, even more pointless.

We know nothing about this film, what it is or what it could be. As with any film In production I'll just remain optimistic that it will be a film worth watching.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 5/12/2011 1:30:36 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 154
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 1:54:10 PM   
superdan

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS THREAD UNTIL NOW!? 

It's been a facepalmingly incredible read.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 155
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 1:57:31 PM   
Funkyrae

I know, how anybody could think of me as being male is really quite extraordinary.

That's me that is!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 156
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 3:30:39 PM   
Gazz

What's going on in this threa....ARRRGGGHHHHH IT'S IN MY EYES! MY EYES!!!

< Message edited by Gazz -- 5/12/2011 3:31:07 PM >

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 157
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 4:13:03 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I know, how anybody could think of me as being male is really quite extraordinary.

Unfortunately some people can't tell the difference between their males and females:

Image (click)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Ok, I'll stop now...

Yeah, please do.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 5/12/2011 4:20:47 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 158
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 4:52:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

Why are some forumites so desperate to stop people having debates?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 159
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 5:16:31 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Yeah, please do.

Only if you say it nicely and while using rhymes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 160
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 6:32:26 PM   
Spaldron

The thread that would not die.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 161
Comedy bullion gold - 5/12/2011 7:58:01 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Why are some forumites so desperate to stop people having debates?

Not quite "so desperate". And not at all, I found Englebertnightingale to be quite entertaining and I look forward to his/her (most likely to be his) cutting reposte!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
Only if you say it nicely and while using rhymes.

As you wish...have a swig of C-Stoff, and please do bugger off.

No one would have believed  in the first years of the 21st century that this thread was being watched and keenly posted on by intelligence far greater than the combined brains of 'the only way (down) is Essex'.......As men (and women) busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a CT operator might scrutinise the brain activity of Chantelle Houghton as replies swarm and multiply like transient creatures in a drop of water. 

I'll steer clear of any discussions to do with Noah Wyle in future, rather not end up in the E.R of thread discussion! Carry on. Although I do suspect we may have a member posting under a different pseudonym here...

One more thing:

quote:

I can't believe we think we live in a democracy.

We don't, we live in a constitutional monarchy. Just saying. Clarification, those of us who reside in the U.K that is. Don't want to be charged with being a neo-imperialist.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 5/12/2011 8:16:18 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 162
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 5/12/2011 8:39:47 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

I can't believe we think we live in a democracy.

We don't, we live in a constitutional monarchy. Just saying. Clarification, those of us who reside in the U.K that is. Don't want to be charged with being a neo-imperialist.

Technically correct of course, but to all intents and purposes we live in a representative democracy (supposedly, anyway). While supreme executive power rests with the monarch as Head of State, I can't see Queenie declaring war or sacking the PM anytime soon (and that's not even taking into consideration the gradual and continuing diminishment of the Royal Prerogative). The EU muddies the waters even further.

Not that this has anything to do with propaganda about Noah and his big boat mind

Post #: 163
RE: Religious Propaganda - 5/12/2011 8:51:41 PM   
rich

quote:

quote:

What the FUCK is all this shite

perspectives on stuff.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Bullshit.

The latter sound much more realistic

Meanwhile...

Post #: 164
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 5/12/2011 9:41:44 PM   
Deviation

quote:

As you wish...have a swig of C-Stoff, and please do bugger off.

Ok, I did not expect a rhyme this good. I shall indeed bugger off.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 165
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 2:06:31 AM   
Emyr Thy King

No don't, if you and Englebertnightingale go. It would be like Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole leaving the stage after having taking a swig of the 'strong stuff' (or S-stoff?). The king demands an encore! 

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
Technically correct of course, but to all intents and purposes we live in a representative democracy (supposedly, anyway). While supreme executive power rests with the monarch as Head of State, I can't see Queenie declaring war or sacking the PM anytime soon (and that's not even taking into consideration the gradual and continuing diminishment of the Royal Prerogative). The EU muddies the waters even further.

Not that this has anything to do with propaganda about Noah and his big boat mind

Sure, but when a political party is ready to form a government, they do so at the behest of the head of state, in our case the Queen. She asks "can you form a government?" the answer is usually yes and away we go. As far as I know, if we are to declare war. The P.M has to ask the Queen for her 'royal seal of approval', the same with passing laws. It's all ceremonial and just a formality now, but executive power still resides with HRH. The only thing is they simply do not interfere and allow the PM and the cabinet to run our affairs. I did find it amusing when Gordon Brown became P.M and people complained saying "we should have a re-election, we didn't vote for him (to be P.M)"; well of course not, you voted for the political party, not the man!

Not quite anything to do with Noah Wyle, but interesting nonetheless.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 6/12/2011 2:07:16 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 166
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 10:27:21 AM   
Englebertnightingale

Hi everyone.

Well I thought I was well and truly done with this discussion, I thought I had reached the summit of Mt. Ararat and was heading down the other side, but that was before the announcement of two movies about the life of Jesus. I've already posted in that forum.

At the outset I just want to say, I'm not positioning myself as anti-movies about JC. I only mean to discuss what it means in out shared western culture, and on that note I have a small theory. It's not a well researched theory but perhaps someone knows more and could build upon it.

I did some research, a simple google search, i think it was religion in hollywood or something like that. This article turned up from 2009:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100927647

Basically the biggest grossing independant film of 2009 wasn't Slumdog Millionaire or Milk but rather a film that was seemingly made as part of a new Christian movie industry movement.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Fireproof, starring former teen idol Kirk Cameron, was all the talk of some 2,000 Christian movie fans gathering at the San Antonio (Texas) Independent Christian Film Festival in January. This crowd was markedly un-Hollywood, the men wearing jeans and Polo shirts, the women in high necklines and low hems. The lights had hardly dimmed for opening ceremonies when Doug Philips, the festival's organizer, told the audience they were drawing a battle line in the culture wars.

"We're here to send a message to the world that we no longer want our children immersed in toxic media which is in opposition to the Lord Jesus Christ," he announced to the cheering crowd. "Christian filmmaking is coming of age. Christian filmmaking is coming of age!"

Again, I'm not making a criticism, I'm simply questioning what it means.

My particular interest is when you combine this trend with another trend that is the decline in revenue for the film industry due to piracy.

I might be wrong, but my guess is that the religious audience discussed in this article aren't your typical pirates. In fact I can't imagine any of them really doing that based on their concerns about certain types of morality. I might be wrong. It's just my opinion. Calm down. Everyone take a deep breath, in and out, in and out. Okay, let's move along.

Here is my constructed theory: Has Hollywood, or the independent fringes, the smaller studios that fund directors like Aronofsky et al. Have they noticed this lucrative trend and as such are selecting films accordingly? Keep in mind the serious recession taking place right now. What types of decisions are all studios having to make? We've seen major projects like The Lone Ranger have their funding reviewed for the same economic trend, how is it playing out for the small studios, what decisions are they making in this climate? and for what reasons?

We have seen a superhero trend in cinema, and we are still in it, could this be another trend emerging here? A religious movie trend?

That's all i'll speculate on this for now, and as such I'll post this and then get to the other post I was planning to write tonight.

Post #: 167
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 10:45:07 AM   
FoximusPrime

The Lone Ranger would surely have had it's budget reviewed no matter the economic climate - how a Western could cost $250m is baffling.Unless it involves the development of a flux capacitor to get that authentic "filmed in 3D in the actual old west" feel

Spoiler colour: #F1F1F1

Post #: 168
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 10:46:58 AM   
Englebertnightingale

true that.

(in reply to FoximusPrime)
Post #: 169
RE: Religious Propaganda - 6/12/2011 11:13:05 AM   
Englebertnightingale

I just wanna thank Deviation for his thoughtful responses. Reading your posts was educational and made me quite excited to be hanging out in this forum as it is clear that you guys really know your movies, and not just Hollywood stuff. Thanks deviation, your rebuttals were way solid.

I just want to respond to a few posts.

Superdan

quote:

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS THREAD UNTIL NOW!?

It's been a facepalmingly incredible read.

If I might answer your question. There are those who have kept you from knowing the truth about your origins. A proverbial Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen if you will, have kept you preoccupied with tinkering away at retro-droids in the backwoods of Tatooine. Though their love is tough, they care for your future. In fact, they've already made plans for it. Instead of catching up with Biggs and Wedge on the rebel alliance front, you'll be helping out around the place. Thus, your proverbial X-wings have been clipped. Fear not though as your metaphorical uncle and aunt will soon be as charred as forgotten sausages on a barbecue of doom.

(But really, that still sends shivers for me that shot of the fried parental guardians.)

Dirk Miggler

quote:

It could be cool, it could be religious propaganda it could also be complete shit, that carries no message whatsoever. Which would make this debate, if that's what even is, even more pointless.

We know nothing about this film, what it is or what it could be. As with any film In production I'll just remain optimistic that it will be a film worth watching.

So Dirk are you going to sit on the proverbial fence of this discussion as well? A very popular place in this forum the fence is. (note the Yoda grammar, I can't stop thinking about Star Wars now) The fence is a very safe place. I dare you to climb down into the garden of your mind and explore. It would certainly enrich this discussion. So what do you really think about the announcement of a Noahs Ark film plus two more Jesus Christ films in the pipeline?

Gazz

quote:

What's going on in this threa....ARRRGGGHHHHH IT'S IN MY EYES! MY EYES!!!

This thread is but one of many threads that make up an enormous yet invisible ball of yarn. This ball of yarn is toyed with by an omnipresent and all-knowing kitten. There is no evidence for this kitten or the yarn, but there is no evidence to the contrary. So we must conclude for now that there may or may not be a kitten. It could swing either way.

Emyr Thy King

thanks for providing a fresh perspective on my arguments. I really appreciate it.

< Message edited by Englebertnightingale -- 6/12/2011 1:33:05 PM >

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 170
RE: Religious Propaganda - 6/12/2011 12:16:10 PM   
Englebertnightingale

quote:

the Animals of Farthing Wood

Now that's a piece of literature that should be given a cinematic realisation.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 171
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 12:27:01 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

I did some research, a simple google search...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

Post #: 172
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 12:50:19 PM   
Englebertnightingale

Now that's quoting me out of context. That's what Fox News, 60 minutes and exploitative newspapers do.

What I don't understand is why you bother contributing to this thread as apparently you're not really that interested.
Why mock me? Or is that what moderators do? Does it come with the moderating gig?

Note: If you decide to respond to this message, the least you can do is respond to the original one where I intended to
establish a thoughtful discussion.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 173
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 1:12:36 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Now that's quoting me out of context.

No it isn't. It's exactly what you said. Apologies, but as a researcher (rather than a moderator - try taking those green blinkers off for just a second) it's in my best interests to highlight the flaw in your research design, as it impacts largely on the evaluative analysis that follows. The irony here is that Fox News and other exploitative media have actually reduced investigative journalism to the simple Google search, rather than doing proper extensive research...

Post #: 174
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 1:24:11 PM   
Englebertnightingale

Yes, but had you read carefully all 7 pages of this thread, you would realise that that comment was an allusion to way back on page 1
when Pigeon Army wrote:

quote:

Darren Aronofsky's directing this Noah film. It's not going to be a Christian propaganda piece. End of.

(I mean my god I found this interview with two seconds of fucking Googling)

Could you enrich the discussion with your talent for research.

quote:

but as a researcher...

Nonetheless, I think research in mass-media or simple google searches are appropriate for the topic at hand as I'm discussing popular culture and religious influence in western cinema. I'm not really concerned about what ideas are infiltrating academia or a discipline therein. Maybe you are. What kind of research would you suggest?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 175
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 1:31:30 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL:Englebertnightingale
At the outset I just want to say, I'm not positioning myself as anti-movies about JC. I only mean to discuss what it means in out shared western culture, and on that note I have a small theory. It's not a well researched theory but perhaps someone knows more and could build upon it

Doesn't this contradict your more hardline stance at the beginning of the thread?

quote:

This is religious propaganda. I hereby declare to never watch another Aronofsky film

Post #: 176
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 1:32:26 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Yes, but had you read carefully all 7 pages of this thread...

...his head would've exploded?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 177
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 1:39:03 PM   
Englebertnightingale

quote:

Doesn't this contradict your more hardline stance at the beginning of the thread?

Well if you can make that argument or draw that conclusion go for it.
I'm not however doing the research for you. That would be a bit like arguing against myself.

What do you think? Have I made a contradiction here?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 178
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 1:50:26 PM   
Englebertnightingale

Sorry Superdan, I didn't read your post properly. In the case you make, no I don't believe it's a contradiction.

Why? The first thread was all about the story of Noah's Ark which I have particular scientific causative concerns about.
You can read all about that.

As for JC, that's entirely different. I would argue the scientific claims of his story in the Bible, if it came to bear that they were
to be part of a cinematic biopic on JC. However, it could be that these are merely historical stories about JC, of which I am unable
to dispute, as I don't know the history well enough. There are others in this forum however that are quite knowledgable in history.

But, what I am discussing about the announced JC films is a different aspect. One concerned with a trend in movies relating to
religion, specifically the worlds most popular religion. I'm interested in understanding why this might be happening and the
implications of it.

I think that's a pretty clear distinction? If you need any extra clarification, please let me know.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 179
RE: Comedy bullion gold - 6/12/2011 1:54:51 PM   
superdan

quote:

But, what I am discussing about the announced JC films is a different aspect. One concerned with a trend in movies relating to
religion, specifically the worlds most popular religion. I'm interested in understanding why this might be happening and the
implications of it.

I think that's a pretty clear distinction? If you need any extra clarification, please let me know.

Christianity has been present in movies since filmmaking began, either directly (The Ten Commandments, Passion of the Christ etc) or to varying degrees of subtlety (Matrix, E.T. etc). I don't see why it should be a big deal now, and I don't perceive it as any kind of pernicious threat.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Religious Propaganda Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI