Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The BNP have a new role model

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The BNP have a new role model Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:13:39 PM   
Chief

Isn't the first defence in these kind of things "some of my best friends are black..."

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 151
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:15:13 PM   
BishopQuaker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

Amazing she can't say she didn`t do it when the footage shows she clearly did I suspect she`ll say she wasn`t being racist just stateing what she thinks is the case in Modern Britain. I`m not sticking up for her by the way I hate people like her I`m just trying to workout how she is going to explain not pleading gulity.

This makes sense. Won't make any difference, though, her aggressive manner and use of bad language against someone of colour will go against her. Her lawyer must have something pretty spectacular up their sleeve to try to defend this. Maybe they'll say that the video doesn't show the start of the 'discussion' and she was provoked......

Even someone calling her a "honky cracker white trash whore" couldn't have provoked that level of reaction

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 152
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:17:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

Indeed. Nothing justifies her actions. 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 153
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:27:51 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

Amazing she can't say she didn`t do it when the footage shows she clearly did I suspect she`ll say she wasn`t being racist just stateing what she thinks is the case in Modern Britain. I`m not sticking up for her by the way I hate people like her I`m just trying to workout how she is going to explain not pleading gulity.

This makes sense. Won't make any difference, though, her aggressive manner and use of bad language against someone of colour will go against her. Her lawyer must have something pretty spectacular up their sleeve to try to defend this. Maybe they'll say that the video doesn't show the start of the 'discussion' and she was provoked......

Thye'll use the "diminished responsibility" defence probably. They'll say she was on drugs and was't in control of her actions. Or something.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 154
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:31:03 PM   
elab49

WOuldn't that defence cause issues regarding the child though? I'd guess she'd have to go with something that didn't end with someone else saying 'um, is she competent to look after the kid, then?'.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 155
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:37:50 PM   
jonson

Speaking to one of the BNP prats on Saturday morning (who amazingly was EDL for the day) he said "she was only saying what the vast majority of Brits are thinking"
Hmmm. The vast majority of Brits. Right.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 156
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:56:09 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Speaking to one of the BNP prats on Saturday morning (who amazingly was EDL for the day)
he said "she was only saying what the vast majority of Brits are thinking"

Is it true that people who support the BNP try to justify it by saying it isn't racist (), "that's the EDL"? I'm sure I've seen or heard that argument before. Imagine the shock if it was found out that a BNP member was also in the EDL..

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 157
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 4:59:13 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Speaking to one of the BNP prats on Saturday morning (who amazingly was EDL for the day)

Is it true that people who support the BNP try to justify it by saying it isn't racist (), "that's the EDL"? I'm sure I've seen or heard that argument before. Imagine the shock if it was found out that a BNP member was also in the EDL..

Well they both have one thing in common....their appreciation of abbreviations.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 158
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 5:20:48 PM   
jonson

quote:

quote:

Not the BNP people I know. They insist they are not racist, but we know better. I don't think there's a lot between them, the EDL try and insist they are more against the Islamic groups who protest at our soldiers returning from Afghanistan, whereas the BNP don't like anyone with dark skin and a funny name. They all piss in the same pot.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 159
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 5:32:47 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Thye'll use the "diminished responsibility" defence probably. They'll say she was on drugs and was't in control of her actions. Or something.

That particular defence is only available to someone charged with murder.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 160
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 5:37:12 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

That's a really interesting fact. Why can't someone use diminished responsibility in a case like this then? I strongly suspect it's either drink / drugs or good old fashioned bigotry but if she is mentally ill it's a bit strange that it's not a viable defence.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 161
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 5:39:05 PM   
jonson

I think I said it earlier, but she was "mooing" a classic speed/LSD symptom. She was off her tits in my opinion.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 162
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 5:57:05 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

Then what is the equivalent defence for someone not charged with murder? Surely if she was under the influence of drugs then her lawyers can use that in attempt to excuse her behaviour?

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 163
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 6:02:09 PM   
Shifty Bench

As mentioned, though, she can't really say that or she'll lose her kid(s).

You never know, they may try it.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 164
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 6:07:45 PM   
borstal

quote:

quote:

quote:

If there is one group I hate more its the PFJ....splitters!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 165
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 6:12:17 PM   
Gazz

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

quote:

quote:

quote:

If there is one group I hate more its the PFJ....splitters!

Whatever happened to the Popular Front?

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 166
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 6:15:11 PM   
directorscut

The kids should be taken off her regardless of what she pleads.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 167
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 6/12/2011 6:19:57 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

That's a really interesting fact. Why can't someone use diminished responsibility in a case like this then?

It is because murder is a special case. For other crimes factors, such as whether the person suffered from diminished responsibility, can be taken into account in sentencing in a way that is unavailable on a murder charge.

A successful plea of diminished responsibility (which is very rare as the defence provocation does much the same thing and the test is far easier to satisfy) reduces the murder charge to manslaughter.

In the bad old days when a death sentence was a very real possibility for murder this was important. It allowed a person who was provably temporarily "not their own master" at the time to escape the noose. Even today there is a mandatory life sentence, and the reduction to manslaughter allows a lesser sentence to be handed down if the judge thinks it appropriate.

Despite what the press would have you believe life does mean life. Even if granted parole you are on licence for the rest of your life and you can be recalled to prison for even a minor offence and can potentially have to serve out the entire sentence.

As such on a murder chance there is very little room for mitigation. All that can be adjusted is the minimum tariff before parole. Remember assisted suicide is cold blooded murder (in the eyes of the law) to no less a degree than the acts of your most depraved psycho-killer, and both will get the mandatory life sentence on conviction.

That is why there are special defences for murder.

quote:

I strongly suspect it's either drink / drugs or good old fashioned bigotry but if she is mentally ill it's a bit strange that it's not a viable defence.

If she is legally insane she will not be competent to stand trial. As noted above any mental health issues short of meeting the legal standard (which is stricter than the clinical standard) can be taken into account in sentencing.

If it is drug related that will not help her. If she voluntary took mind altering substances she is responsible for all crimes she commits under their influence.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 168
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 12:24:07 PM   
great_badir

quote:

Then what is the equivalent defence for someone not charged with murder? Surely if she was under the influence of drugs then her lawyers can use that in attempt to excuse her behaviour?

"Your honour, the fact of the matter is, my client...is a massive, raging cunt. She was born and brought up that way. It's not her fault..."
"...hmmmm...I've taken that into consideration...ten hours community service, suspended. Go look after your child."

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 169
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 6:51:42 PM   
jon5000

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/dec/06/christmas-prison-women-tram-youtube

So apparently she's going to spend the festive period in prison.

I wonder how the outraged public feel about that?

Deserved?

Not for her child, I wouldn't say. And what use is time in prison going to be for this kind of offence? It'll make her more angry, surely? I strongly doubt time in prison will have any kind of positive effect on her opinions.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 170
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 7:34:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Her supporters screamed out "Treason"

Don't know what to say about that really.......

Oh, and I feel sorry for her kid, sure, but I have done since I first saw the video. Still have no sympathy for her to be honest.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 7/12/2011 7:37:08 PM >

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 171
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 8:59:58 PM   
jon5000

I just don't find separating her from her child to be in the interests of 'justice' here.

Has she stirred up racial hatred? Well, I doubt she would have agreed to be viewed by 11 million people worldwide, we can't blame her for that, but she can certainly be blamed for voicing her opinions on the tram. But those are her opinions, and unfortunately, whatever we might think, she's entitled to have them. Really, she should only be punished for voicing them aloud on public transport.

In that sense, I believe spending time in prison for this kind of offense is excessive and more to do with the influence of our reactionary society than anything else. I'm not condoning her actions at all, I just believe there are better forms of punishment suited to this type of offense. Christ knows what her kid is going to think, if he wasn't scarred enough anyway.

Why don't we just send Jeremy Clarkson to prison while we're at it... it won't achieve a single thing!

Post #: 172
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 9:06:30 PM   
Funkyrae

It might not change her opinions, it's almost impossible to change someone's opinions especially when they're that entrenched and, for want of a better word, wrong.

Like it or not though, her actions were inciting hatred. How she could be punished in such a way that she could be rehabilitated and learn from her actions? Absolutely no idea but she shouldn't be able to get away with it either. She shouldn't be let off inciting hatred simply because we can't think of a different way to make her learn the error of her ways.

That's me that is!

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 173
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 9:40:23 PM   
Base

Sure, she is entitled to her opinion, however she isn't entitled to scream abuse at people in the street (or on a train, or anywhere else!). If the police had been there, she would have been picked up and prosecuted. If she'd been picked up on CCTV committing a crime, she'd have been prosecuted. She was unlucky / stupid enough to do this in an age where everyone is carrying a video camera and the ability to broadcast it to the planet where the people who are able to prosecute will inevitably see it!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 174
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 10:14:32 PM   
jon5000

No and I completely agree! I never said she should be allowed to say what she wants! Of course she should be held accountable for that.

But... do her actions warrant time in prison leaving her child without a mother over Christmas?

Personally, I don't think so.

I think something more productive - community service perhaps - would be more sufficient and, in essence, a much more positive form of 'punishment' for the crime committed. What will she do in prison? Sit and probably watch TV for a few weeks. At tax payers expense. Great.

Is she an absolute idiot? Yes. But let's leave it at that in terms of anger towards her. It's a shame it's gone viral, but we were the ones who watched it, weren't we? She didn't come into our house and shout at us. Although her views angered me and I find them incredibly ignorant, I don't think I personally have a right to be offended because I chose to watch a video of it. That's what annoys me about the UK. It's like we all want to make it our problem sometimes.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 175
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 10:32:27 PM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

No and I completely agree! I never said she should be allowed to say what she wants! Of course she should be held accountable for that.

But... do her actions warrant time in prison leaving her child without a mother over Christmas?

I think something more productive - community service perhaps - would be more sufficient and, in essence, a much more positive form of 'punishment' for the crime committed. What will she do in prison? Sit and probably watch TV for a few weeks. At tax payers expense. Great.

Is she an absolute idiot? Yes. But let's leave it at that in terms of anger towards her. It's a shame it's gone viral, but we were the ones who watched it, weren't we? She didn't come into our house and shout at us. Although her views angered me and I find them incredibly ignorant, I don't think I personally have a right to be offended because I chose to watch a video of it. That's what annoys me about the UK. It's like we all want to make it our problem sometimes.

I know you didn't mean it like this, but that just sounds like an 'it's not my problem' attitude. It annoys me when people in the UK don't see things like this as their problem. Behaviour and opinions like this need to be challenged! The BNP have only ever achieved any success through voter apathy and people thinking 'well, they'll never actually get in'.

No, it isn't nice that a child will be without his Mother this Christmas, but frankly the alternative is that he will spend it with a racist who will inflict this poisonous view on him...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 176
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 10:34:55 PM   
kumar

quote:

Im not sure she would have had a problem with doing that judging by that video. I dont buy the "child without a mother" for christmas argument. From the reactions of people in court I assume that bint has someone to look after her child. I dont care whether she sits in prison doing nothing, atleast in that time shes away there is little chance she will manage to piss anyone else off. Hope she learns her lesson. Its a shame we cant send her to the moon along with the rest of the looneys walking around.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 177
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 11:23:34 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

I know you didn't mean it like this, but that just sounds like an 'it's not my problem' attitude. It annoys me when people in the UK don't see things like this as their problem. Behaviour and opinions like this need to be challenged! The BNP have only ever achieved any success through voter apathy and people thinking 'well, they'll never actually get in'.

No, it isn't nice that a child will be without his Mother this Christmas, but frankly the alternative is that he will spend it with a racist who will inflict this poisonous view on him...

No, I certainly didn't mean it like that at all!

Of course it is a problem. But I don't believe the voter apathy thing is true. I think the BNP got votes because, sadly, people voted for them. And as much as I hate to sound like I'm defending the racists ... I don't believe the way you or I vote will change them having those views. That's a long term thing that needs to be addressed through education primarily. And I guess there's also an argument for 'well, there'll always be people who think like that'. All we can do is make it illegal for them to voice their views and in the long term try and better educate them. Try and get them to think differently.

I just don't think shoving her in prison is going to do much, except maybe make her a bit more angry?

< Message edited by jon5000 -- 7/12/2011 11:24:36 PM >

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 178
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 7/12/2011 11:41:56 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I don't think she's actually been given her punishment yet, though. A plea hasn't been put in for her even and the only reason she's going to spend Christmas in the clink is because she was refused bail for her own safety, so she might be sentenced to do community service or some such thing once she's been tried.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 179
RE: The BNP have a new role model - 8/12/2011 12:26:11 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

Good points, well made. Especially the bit in bold.

All to often too many folk jump on a (small/localised) story like this and turn it into something much bigger than it deserves to be. Happens all the time, but I guess that's just another by-product of the mass communications era.

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The BNP have a new role model Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI