Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wuthering Heights - 28/11/2011 1:46:48 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 28/11/2011 1:46:48 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Having thoroughly enjoyed Andrea Arnold's previous two films Red Road & Fish Tank I was really looking forward to her unique take on Emily Bronte's classic source material, sadly though those hopes and expectations weren't really met. It starts off relatively promising in it's first half, with the two kids playing the younger Heathcliff and Catherine doing a great job of communicating their close bond through their physicality rather than their dialogue. Stylistically it's superb as well, with the 4:3 Arnold also opted for Fish Tank really adding to the remote and claustrophobic area our characters inhabit, whilst the cinematography is absolutely stunning in places. To say then that the film falls apart in the second half as we switch to the older incarnations of Heathcliff and Catherine would be a massive understatement. The pacing becomes fractured, the story-telling shambolic & the motivations of the characters inconsistent - resulting in a frustrating and to be frank, highly tedious additional hour. It doesn't help either that the older actors resemble nothing like their child counterparts. Solid but overall underwhelming.

3/5

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: - 8/12/2011 2:04:52 PM   
Pencilton Phoenix

Frankly speaking, I thought it wuthered on a bit too much.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Wuthering Heights Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI