Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Take Shelter - 27/11/2011 5:49:37 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
One of the best films of the year - 27/11/2011 5:49:37 PM   
BatSpider

If this isn't showing at your local moroniplex, take a piss on their foyer.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: One of the best films of the year - 28/11/2011 10:19:16 AM   
st3veebee

Caught this on Friday in CIneworld. The good doctor K gave it a good review, and I went in with high-ish expectations.

THE GOOD:

-
Michael Shannon gives a brilliantly restrained performance of a man teetering on the edge of insanity. In fact the entire cast is nearly flawless: each having their moment to shine.

-For a low budget film the SFX are excellent and more importantly: necessary.

-Lack of any noticeable score keeps the gloomy atmosphere building, and doesn't take away from the actors.

-Brilliant sense of foreboding throughout: I genuinely had no idea which way the film would end up.

-Decent political undercurrent there for observers who want it: but nothing at all too preachy.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

:
THE NOT SO GOOD

- The ending, while working perfectly with the previous build up, seemed to be over and done with rather abruptly: not leaving enough time for the audience (or maybe just me) to really resonate.

-Jessica Chastain is mostly great, but resorts to unnecessary shouting when emotions are turned up: whereas I think a more subtle approach would have been more effective. This is possibly a counterweight to Shannon's emotional stump of a man: but it reeked of soap opera acting to me.

I'm not exactly sure why I won't give this film 5 stars: it is nearly flawless with a great idea well executed with a good pay-off in the finale and Michael Shannon gives a pitch perfect performance that all too often gets snubbed by the oscars board, while backed up nicely by the rest of the cast Yet perhaps it was the sudden ending that didn't give me enough time to really connect. Thoroughly recommended!

Rather than 4 I give it 4 and a half empire star thingys.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 3
RE: One of the best films of the year - 28/11/2011 11:46:59 AM   
Herr Schnitzel

Really wanted to like this, but somehow the film didn't quite work for me. I like slow films, but this ends up being repetitive by hammering the same plot points home again and again. I really found the mid-section a slog. Unlike some others I liked the ending though.

Take Shelter strongly reminded me of an early, now mostly forgotten Peter Weir film called The Last Wave, which managed to weave an engaging mystery plot into a similar premise of a man having visions of a cataclysmic catastrophe.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 4
RE: One of the best films of the year - 28/11/2011 1:37:55 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Excellent psychological drama about a man deeply conflicted over whether his vivid nightmares of an unforgiving mother nature are a result of a hereditary mental illness or a premonition of an impending catastrophe, resulting in his stable and happily married life gradually unraveling. Michael Shannon, an actor certainly accustomed to playing a character of an eccentric disposition (Revolutionary Road, The Runaways, My Son My Son What Have Ye Done?, Boardwalk Empire and many more) delivers arguably his most well rounded performance to date and cements himself as one of America's finest working actors today. One of the strongest American films of 2011.

4/5

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 28/11/2011 1:38:40 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 5
RE: One of the best films of the year - 29/11/2011 12:18:31 AM   
Spaldron

Agree with the above, excellent and subtle portrayal of a 'man on the edge' (or is he?) fable with a solid support cast. Loved the gloomy mood and foreboding, some great storm sequences. Shannon should be in for an oscar nom at the least. 4/5

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 6
RE: One of the best films of the year - 29/11/2011 12:59:02 AM   
Rgirvan44

Agree with most folks - the ending is flat though and disappoints.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 7
RE: One of the best films of the year - 29/11/2011 2:24:42 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I thought this film was pretty darn good and really keeps you "holding on" through out. I too loved (as mentioned up thread) the moody, atmospheric sky scenes. Shannon delights and plays the character well. I partly agree also with girv, in relation to the ending being somewhat disappointing. You feel slightly robbed. (Slightly I said).

Overall 3/5

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 29/11/2011 2:25:41 AM >

Art

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
RE: One of the best films of the year - 29/11/2011 1:26:58 PM   
ChudMonkey

I have to disagree with those that weren't happy with the ending. I thought it was absolutely perfect. The false ending 10-15 minutes or so before would have worked well and I truly believed the film was going to end there only for it to carry on and deliver a much more satisfying finale.

Overall a stunning film that, at times, reminded me of Donnie Darko and Close Encounters. Only slightly mind you as this was a truly original piece of cinema. Great performances throughout with the only downside being the lack of Shannon forcing anyone to kneel before him

4.5 out of 5

Top 10 of 2013 so far:
1. Mud
2. Philomena
3. Before Midnight
4. The Way Way Back
5. Spring Breakers
6. In The House
7. Django Unchained
8. Only God Forgives
9. Tattoo Nation
10. Iron Man 3

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 9
RE: One of the best films of the year - 29/11/2011 3:53:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

The problem with the ending is you know what is going to happen, once the film doesn't stop at where the natural point is. It can only go one way. Just felt like they lost steam.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to ChudMonkey)
Post #: 10
The scariest film since We Need To Talk About Kevin - 29/11/2011 4:30:31 PM   
filmFOCUS

a stunning film from start to finish. an intense movie on overcoming mental illness within the family unit. contains a beautiful ending showing the family's acceptance of his illness

< Message edited by filmFOCUS -- 29/11/2011 4:46:46 PM >

Post #: 11
Stunning - 11/1/2012 7:10:41 AM   
danclay77

A fabulous performance by Shannon and a building sense of dread and unease make this a film that really stays with you. Excellent low-budget gem.
Movie Man Dan

Post #: 12
- 15/2/2012 2:22:16 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Incredible movie! As much a horror movie as a drama. Loved the performances from Shannon and Chastain. The academy should be ashamed for not nominating him as Best Actor.

Post #: 13
RE: - 22/3/2012 1:13:31 PM   
Vitamin F

** some possible spoilery stuff below **

Was really looking forward to this because everything sounded like it couldn't lose. Unfortunately it never lived up to my expectations or the positive reviews, becuase come the abrupt ending, all I felt was an overwhelming sense of "so, what was the point of all that?".

I like ambiguous endings that one can discuss and debate, but because this had a definite and most unambiguous ending, it just created a lot more of the wrong sort of questions (like "why did he experience these things, and what exactly was going on with these occurrences?") and as I said, led to a feeling of pointlessness (for the audience, not the character).

The occurrences are well executed and Michael Shannon was pretty good, but I wouldn't soil myself over his performance - I don't get the gushing.

(in reply to Turd Ferguson)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 4/4/2012 9:30:53 PM   
The REAL Bozz

For me this was a frustrating watch. It was a great idea but the execution felt so forced. All the times he was having the visions or premonitions, however you wanna look at it, and he didn't confide in nobody. Meanwhile his life, family, job, social life are all going to hell. I just didn't buy into it. You'd tell someone and while he does eventually it again felt more like a tool so the film could ease into the final act. It's decent and well worth a watch, with a gut punch of a ending but overall it wasn't my cup of tea.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 5/4/2012 12:20:43 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

however you wanna look at it, and he didn't confide in nobody. Meanwhile his life, family, job, social life are all going to hell. I just didn't buy into it. You'd tell someone and while he does eventually it again felt more like a tool so the film could ease into the final act

One of the most common traits of mental illness is that you do your utmost not to confide in anyone.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 19/8/2012 8:43:00 PM   
UTB

Hmm... watched this tonight. Mixed thoughts, really. I was really, reaaaally hoping they wouldn't end the film in the way they did as it completely changes the film that goes before it, which might be the point but I for one can't see the point in spending an entire two (ovelong) hours convincing the audience that the guy has mental issues when really, oh no its some sort of supernatural ability.

Agree with the comments above in that its a frustrating watch, most of the film's dramatic moments tick the standard paranoid movie boxes (pissing off the wife, losing the job, outburst in front of everyone, using the words "a storm is coming").

The performances are great, Shannon does well and Chastain holds the film together. It could be 30-40 minutes shorter though.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 23/8/2012 11:07:57 AM   
Rgirvan44

Can't help but feel this is a an hour long Twilight Zone episode extended to a full runtime.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 18
RE: RE: - 23/8/2012 11:23:49 AM   
superdan

I enjoyed it, Michael Shannon is excellent in it. It is a bit of a slog though, and I'm still not entirely convinced I understand the ending

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 20/9/2012 3:02:41 PM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I enjoyed it, Michael Shannon is excellent in it. It is a bit of a slog though, and I'm still not entirely convinced I understand the ending

**************8ENDING SPOILERS***************8888

Watched it last night and I didn't like the ending - at all. Like most, I was expecting it to end with him opening the doors of the shelter then just cutting to credits before we saw anything - leaving you to make your own mind up.

Like someone else has said, the moment the film proceeded on from this it was the ONLY way it could therefore end. It was the slight ambiguity of not knowing if he was crazy or not that kept it intriguing for me. By giving a definitive answer one way or the other - it ruins the film for me. Of course, you could argue that the endscene on the beach is actually another dream I suppose...but I don't buy that at all.

The fact the ending seemed so conclusive that his visions were real just seemed like a cop out.

Great perfomances though, and study of an illness - but it did feel like an overlong Twilight Zone episode as Rgirvan44 suggests.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 25/3/2013 9:37:15 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I'm really surprised no-one's given serious thought to the ending being metaphorical rather than an actual premonition 'come to life'. To me it's telling that on the DVD commentary Michael Shannon and Jeff Nichols the director refused to say one way or the other whether the ending was real or just a dream. Sure, you could say they did that to foster debate and add an element of mystique but I really think it is ambiguous and in no way conclusively leans either way. To me, it's another one of his dreams but more vivid and visceral but it signifies a change. Up until then, he had the love of his wife but not the full emotional support needed. No-one empathised with him and instead of trying to understand what he was going through, he was treated with disdain/indifference. By the end, we see that his daughter has come to understand what may lie ahead (writing 'storm' into the sand) and his wife has come to accept his condition by stepping outside to face the tumult (both physical and emotional) and stand by his side, come what may. The beauty of it is that to take shelter from an 'emotional storm' he needs the love and support of his wife and family and the only way that will happen is to confront the problem and recognise it for what it is, rather than barricade onself away and hoping the storm will pass (as the dreams may allude it could always be there in some form).

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 25/3/2013 9:39:30 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Take Shelter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI