Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 24/11/2011 6:02:03 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Daredevil Directors Cut (2005)

I recently read a Daredevil comic; Man Without Fear by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. It was a really enjoyable read, infact I enjoyed it so much so I thought i'd give my old Daredevil film a spin on my DVD player.

In the process of watching it, I realised what an enjoyable comic book movie it is! In my opinion, it is a hugely underrated film. Now, it is important to note that I am writing about Daredevil Directors Cut, not the butchered theatrical cut. The difference between the two versions is vast, like a giant chasm between the two. Firstly, the whole plot involving the trial of Coolio had been taken out from the theatrical. This story line hugely improved the viewing of the film. It gives more insight into the character of Matt Murdock and Foggy Nelson, not to mention some light comic relief mainly from Coolio! There were also scenes cut for the directors cut, like the love-making scene between Daredevil and Elektra (played by Jennifer Garner). In this version it revealed the character dynamic of Matt Murdock/Daredevil better as it shows him leaving Elektra in the middle of a romantic moment, due to his crime fighting call of duty. The directors cut is more violent and grittier, re-inserted scenes like The Kingpin breaking his bodyguards necks, helps to show what a vicious bastard he is. Also, *spoiler* when Elektra is stabbed by Bullseye, you see the blood dripping from her chest, not digitally erased as was the case in the theatrical cut.

As for the film itself, I loved the dynamic between Ben Affleck and Jon Favreau. The scene of them in the cafe, where Matt (Affleck) name checks Fightclub, after Foggy (Favreau) asks him how he hurt himself, is very funny.

Thanks to the comic, I also spotted certain things I did not know before on previous viewings. For example, Matt's father Jack Murdock who is a boxer, is asked by a baddie (The Fixer) he has to lose a fight, and take the cash like ' Miller, Mack and Bendis' a trio of names which is obviously a nod to previous writers and artists for Daredevil, namely Frank Miller, David Mack and Brian Bendis. Also the guy whom Jack fights is called 'John Romita' named or course, after the legendary comic artist.

There are scenes which are obvious influences from the comics. One thing I really would have loved to have seen in the film is the character of Stick; the mysterious man who trains the blind Matt Murdock as a boy. In the film we just see him training by himself.

Yes, there are a lot of faults in the film. Actually quite a bit. For instance, I'm not a big fan of Ben Affleck and felt he was miscast for the main role. However, after viewing the film for maybe the 10th time, i've realised that Affleck is not that bad. He is okay, just as Thomas Jane was okay for The Punisher. I loved Jon Favreau as Affleck's best buddy and verbal sparring partner, Foggy. He is a breath of fresh air, and his character is very warm and likeable. Colin Farrell as Bullseye was a match made in heaven! Somesay he overdid his acting, well my reply to that is its a fucking comic book film! We needed a villain who was rowdy, brash and loud after the relative calmness of arch villain The Kingpin. Some of his scenes are really funny, look at the scene where we first see him,pay attention to Farrell's eye's after he has stabbed the pub goer with paperclips; he looks fucking mental!! Other scenes of note include shooting a peanut and choking the bickering old woman on the plane - death by peanut! And my favourite; stabbing a fly with a syringe needle even as he lies strung up in the hospital bed, bandaged and bedridden, 'Bullesye' he murmurs with satisfaction! In my view, he is the REAL baddie! Certainly one of the most funniest! Also, he's so crazy he isnt afraid of anyone, even The Kingpin. Which brings me nicely onto Michael Clark Duncan as said villain. Now if you watch the theatricul version, then you can say he is miscast for the part of main villain. However, in the directors cut, due to scenes re-introduced showing him at his most ruthless, then Michael C. Duncan IS the right choice. What a difference a few scenes can make right?

Elektra played by Jennifer Garner may be a sultry vixen in the film, but her character was underwritten. You simply did not know too much about her to really root for her at the end. Nonetheless, she looks uber hot in that superhero get up, shame about her surname Natchios - it sound's like a 'Mexican appetiser'!

All in all, Dardevil directors cut is a really enjoyable film. I prefer this film over Spiderman. Spidey is too juvenile for my taste. Although the second film was very good. I hope Marvel could do a reboot of Daredevil, along with Ghostrider (also directed by Mark Steven Johnson). These two characters are really cool, fun and have a lot of potential.

When I first saw this film I thought it was a fairly average movie - nothing to write home about. But having watched it over the years, it has grown on me, and has now become a firm favourite.

Has anyone else seen the directors cut? What is your feeling on it? Feel free to share your thoughts.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 4/9/2012 2:25:52 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/
Post #: 1
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 24/11/2011 7:37:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

good stuff, ive got the blu ray, always liked this movie

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 2
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 24/11/2011 8:51:26 PM   
directorscut

Has it cut out all the hideous visual design, rubbish acting, mundane script, awful soundtrack and crappy CGI or has it just added 20 more minutes of bad?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 3
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 24/11/2011 9:54:19 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

All in all, Dardevil directors cut is a really enjoyable film. I prefer this film over Spiderman. Spidey is too juvenile for my taste. Although the second film was very good. I hope Marvel could do a reboot of Daredevil, along with Ghostrider (also directed by Mark Steven Johnson). These two characters are really cool, fun and have a lot of potential.

When I first saw this film I thought it was a fairly average movie - nothing to write home about. But having watched it over the years, it has grown on me, and has now become a firm favourite.

Has anyone else seen the directors cut? What is your feeling on it? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Ghost Rider is getting a new film next year from the guys who did Crank. It's called Spirit of Vengeance and still has Nic Cage in it. Apparently it's going to be a lot darker than the first one.

But yeah, Daredevil is a pretty solid superhero film. Shame they used Ben Affleck though.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 4
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 12:03:44 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Has it cut out all the hideous visual design, rubbish acting, mundane script, awful soundtrack and crappy CGI or has it just added 20 more minutes of bad?

Make that 30 minutes!!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 12:07:50 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Ghost Rider is getting a new film next year from the guys who did Crank. It's called Spirit of Vengeance and still has Nic Cage in it. Apparently it's going to be a lot darker than the first one.

But yeah, Daredevil is a pretty solid superhero film. Shame they used Ben Affleck though.

Wow! First time I heard about it! I'm looking forward to it - I must be one of only 20 people who actually thought Ghostrider was aa good film!

I thought it would have helped if it was darker in tone. I thought Peter Fonda was a good choice for Satan, but Wes was a bad choice for his pompous, unscary son!!!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 6
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 12:17:57 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

good stuff, ive got the blu ray, always liked this movie

I dont know how the features are like on the blu ray release, but if its not much i'll keep my DVD! Anyhow, its good to see someone who thought the movie was good, I know its not everyones cup of tea, but its one of those films you could watch to pass the time.

Post #: 7
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 7:14:44 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i owned the Daredevil 2 disc DVD, then i bought the Region 1 Director's Cut. I was expecting the blu ray to have minimal features, but it has ALL of the features from both releases bar the audio commentary from the first one (as this is the directors cut obviously, so it has the DC audio commentary). IMO the blu ray is excellent, the picture and sound are great and having all the extras on one disc is good too. IMO getting the blu ray is a no brainer.

Post #: 8
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 7:58:01 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i owned the Daredevil 2 disc DVD, then i bought the Region 1 Director's Cut. I was expecting the blu ray to have minimal features, but it has ALL of the features from both releases bar the audio commentary from the first one (as this is the directors cut obviously, so it has the DC audio commentary). IMO the blu ray is excellent, the picture and sound are great and having all the extras on one disc is good too. IMO getting the blu ray is a no brainer.

Okay. I'm sold!

Post #: 9
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 8:54:56 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Cool mate, and its pretty cheap too! I think i got mine when it was 5.49 on Amazon, although i see it for 7.49 a lot which is still a real good price. I was severly disappointed with ghost rider, it sucked so bad, whereas daredevil dc had a lot going for it!

Post #: 10
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 12:42:14 PM   
Cool Breeze

Really enjoyed Daredevil when it came out.Hes one of my favourite Marvel characters and i was surprised that i enjoyed the film so much cos i dont usually rate Ben Affleck but he was good in this.Shame we never got a sequel.

Colin Farrell was completely miscast as Bullseye though.The character is cold,calculating,and ruthless in the comic books and he just acts like a completely Ott joker in this.Michael Clarke Duncan was decent as the Kingpin(i can get past the fact that the character is white in the comics).

I actually prefer the theatrical cut.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 11
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 12:49:00 PM   
JIm R

DC version is a completely different and superior film. It is the film that if shown theatrically it would earned a fortune and we wouldn't be talking about re-boots or re-makes. If you watch the post produced making of disc when the DC version came to DVD you'll see Arad (arsehole) excert his 'expert' opinion over Johnson and Johnson's spirit clearly crushed by Arad's 'I know best' mentality, when clearly on this project and Spiderman 3 for that matter, he didn't.

The DC cut is everything a Daredevil film should be - darker, more violent, more intense and it understands why he must exist.

I am going to say it's amongst the best Marvel comic book films IMO.

If you don't own a copy and you are a fan, get one, today. It's that good.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 12
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 1:22:43 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

DC version is a completely different and superior film. It is the film that if shown theatrically it would earned a fortune and we wouldn't be talking about re-boots or re-makes. If you watch the post produced making of disc when the DC version came to DVD you'll see Arad (arsehole) excert his 'expert' opinion over Johnson and Johnson's spirit clearly crushed by Arad's 'I know best' mentality, when clearly on this project and Spiderman 3 for that matter, he didn't.

The DC cut is everything a Daredevil film should be - darker, more violent, more intense and it understands why he must exist.

I am going to say it's amongst the best Marvel comic book films IMO.

If you don't own a copy and you are a fan, get one, today. It's that good.

(To 'steal' from my mate Snake-Eyes;) THIS POST IS 100% WOOKIE APPROVED!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 25/11/2011 1:24:02 PM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 13
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/11/2011 2:13:21 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Hi guys, you may have noticed that my new thread for Apocalypse Now Redux' has been closed, due to there being another thread of the same name. I have to admit to being a bit gutted, I love that film, and it took me quite a long time to type, what with all the quotes and what not.

Anyhow, please feel free to post any comments for that thread either here, or the original Apocalypse thread (i've re-posted my thread there). Or you can PM me regarding anything you might want to discuss regarding that thread.

Cheers!

Post #: 14
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 25/12/2011 10:49:49 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Last night i was flicking through the channels, i caught 10/15 minutes of a film starring Val Kilmer and Mira Sorvino, where he plays a blind man. As soon as i saw him on screen with the dark glasses on and walking stick, i dont know why but i just cried out 'DAREDEVIL'!!

Why? Because Kilmer looked like Matt Murdock AKA Daredevil from the comics, namely Born Again and The Man without Fear (both by Frank Miller). It was uncanny how close he looks to the genuine article! And even though he'd be too old to play him now, back then in the early late 90's i think Kilmer would have been the perfect match for Daredevil, assuming someone wanted to make a Daredevil film which would have been unlikely. But hey, its a thought!

One things for sure, he's a much better choice than that pranciing phony, Affleck!

Post #: 15
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 4/9/2012 1:16:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Michael Clark Duncan is easily the best thing in this movie.

R.I.P...

Post #: 16
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 4/9/2012 3:09:37 PM   
jobloffski

The reason the extended version s better:

By the time of the final showdown in the theatrical version it feels like DD is going after Kingpin just because he is responsible for Elektra's death, which makes the showdown lamer than it should be.

In the extended version of the film it's a MUCH more personal showdown because by the time it happens Kingpin has poisoned MM'slife completely. KP took his family life, his love life, and (which the theatrical cut skips over) his capacity to make a difference in his working life (because the Kingpin's influence/corruption decides the outcome of cases in court).

So in the extended version, the showdown isn't just goodie versus baddie, it's between someone who has had everything taken from him, in his personal life and the man who took it from him, with the hero stuff necessarily part of the story of course, but with the inevitability that the one man must fight the man who is literally and figuratively in the way of everything he is, and everything he tries to be.

And Affleck carries it off much better than he is given credit for by many.

PS, R.I.P M C D.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 4/9/2012 3:10:10 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

Post #: 17
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 4/9/2012 10:02:06 PM   
AmityBodega1977

I remember seeing this and thinking it wasn't half bad. I thought Colin Farrell was excellent as Bulls-eye - pretty much the best thing in it really. Farrell is excellent at playing mean bastards, watch him in the film In Bruges and you'll see what I mean!

Post #: 18
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 4/9/2012 11:05:21 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: AmityBodega1977

I remember seeing this and thinking it wasn't half bad. I thought Colin Farrell was excellent as Bulls-eye - pretty much the best thing in it really. Farrell is excellent at playing mean bastards, watch him in the film In Bruges and you'll see what I mean!

Please.Farrell was just embarassing in that film.Overacting like crazy like he was in a Joel Schumacher Batman film.The character of Bullseye is cold,calculating,and ruthless in the comics.Farrells Bullseye was just an idiot clown.

MCD was excellent as Kingpin though.He really conveyed the menace of the character.

RIP Big guy.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 4/9/2012 11:06:38 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to AmityBodega1977)
Post #: 19
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 4/9/2012 11:35:22 PM   
AmityBodega1977

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: AmityBodega1977

Please.Farrell was just embarassing in that film.Overacting like crazy like he was in a Joel Schumacher Batman film.The character of Bullseye is cold,calculating,and ruthless in the comics.Farrells Bullseye was just an idiot clown.

MCD was excellent as Kingpin though.He really conveyed the menace of the character.

RIP Big guy.

in the right hands though Farrell would have given that performance. there was glimpses of it in the film. I used to think Farrell was a major ham too until the Martin McDonagh films

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 20
RE: DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) - 5/9/2012 1:48:16 AM   
max314

I've always enjoyed the movie. Moreso in the case of the director's cut.

I still think there's more quality in this film than in either one of Raimi's Spider-Man films, which I found to be limp, overly saccharine treatments of an otherwise great comic book character. Luckily, Marc Webb's cleaned that franchise right up.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to AmityBodega1977)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> DAREDEVIL DIRECTORS CUT (2005) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI