Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moneyball - 21/11/2011 9:37:23 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Excelsior Olly Richards! - 21/11/2011 9:37:23 AM   
Haveityourwaybaybeee

Morning Olly. I've not sat down to watch this film yet, and prior to reading your review it wasn't likely to happen at all, fan of Brad 'when-will-the-masses-recognise-that-he's-more-than-fanny-fodder' Pitt, though I am.
Point is; Great review. I always enjoy your reviews in particular, you're my hero, Olly. Too much?
Well, I'm off to continue with my perfectly normal, Olly stalking-free day. So, as the old saying goes, keep up the good work and don't contact the authorities.

< Message edited by Haveityourwaybaybeee -- 21/11/2011 10:18:45 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Brilliant! - 21/11/2011 10:11:48 AM   
guysalisbury

Saw this in the states a month ago and loved it! Brad Pitt is brilliant, as is Jonah Hill. I real feel good sports film! Highly recommended!

Post #: 3
A bit confusing at the end............ - 21/11/2011 4:29:41 PM   
umer_ejaz

"He’s headed a complicated movie about the science of sport and made what is, for all its lack of action on the diamond, the most uplifting, exciting sports movie since Friday Night Lights" - Surely by the review you gave to Warrior, that was the best movie since Friday Night Lights, considering that was given 5 stars? Excellent review none the less but just confused by that statement

Post #: 4
Un-decided - 27/11/2011 7:17:30 PM   
Swedle

I thought, although the performances were good, i really dissagree with everyone who says 'it's not about baseball', strong performaces (jonah hill can do more than look like a shorter, slightly creepy seth rogen?) and a bit of comic relief keep it from getting too complicated, but it was all statistics and scores, and i'm so very not interested in baseball! beautifully shot and wonderfully heartwarming, but it got a bit too bogged down by the sport (obviously that's just the opinion of a couch potato who knows nothing about baseball, so make up your own mind, it's worth a watch)

Post #: 5
loved it - 27/11/2011 7:18:34 PM   
tysmuse

Great performances. Pitt especially is decent. Good moments of humour. Enjoyable stuff.

Post #: 6
the finest character study of the year - 29/11/2011 4:41:31 PM   
filmFOCUS

excellent film - Brad Pitt's character, throughout his Baseball career, has been trying to prove his self worth to himself. his fight against the sytem is a metaphor for his inner battle to attain redemption. wonderfully constructed film

< Message edited by filmFOCUS -- 29/11/2011 4:43:40 PM >

Post #: 7
Cars and gold - 1/12/2011 4:47:28 PM   
Friendsknew

The film made me want to join a baseball team, that is all.

Post #: 8
RE: Moneyball - 22/12/2011 5:08:21 PM   
galvatron

Watched this today. What a great movie, Pitt and Hill were brilliant. 

Post #: 9
Great Movie - 20/1/2012 9:54:43 PM   
Turd Ferguson

A very well made movie. Pitt and Hill are extraordinary! Sorkin's done a wonderful job with the script, as usual. One of the best movies released last year.

Post #: 10
RE: Moneyball - 2/2/2012 1:35:56 PM   
m_er

7/10 Moneyball: It is not earth-shattering or so, but quite an experience. Itís a good sports movie. ĎíMoneyball" is more than just about baseball though, it's about life, itís beyond baseball. Itís a story about success and life

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

Post #: 11
RE: Moneyball - 2/2/2012 4:42:32 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: m_er

7/10 Moneyball: It is not earth-shattering or so, but quite an experience. Itís a good sports movie. ĎíMoneyball" is more than just about baseball though, it's about life, itís beyond baseball. Itís a story about success and life

and baseball

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 12
RE: Moneyball - 2/2/2012 6:33:18 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I enjoyed it. Pitt was excellent as was PSH. Jonah Hill was a little out of his depth with the exception of the "Trade Deadline Day" scene. Some wonderful moments and a decent script that clearly has the Sorking magic dust sprinkled over it. Although it did feel that perhaps he was brought in to polish the script rather than co write....

8/10

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 13
- 20/2/2012 10:08:55 PM   
TheGodfather

Moneyball
"People who run ball clubs, they think in terms of buying players. Your goal shouldn't be to buy players, your goal should be to buy wins. And in order to buy wins, you need to buy runs."
This way of thinking revolutionised American baseball. This is the based on true events story of Billy Beane, general manager of the Oakland A`s. Because of the low budget of his team he can`t afford the buy star players to enforce the team. So instead of doing that he goes looking for players that no other team wants and make a team out of that.

It might sound as a logical thought but up untill 10 years this was unthinkable in baseball. The story will be probably be viewed outside the US as something "typical American sentimental". But I think it`s more than that. It`s story about humanity, about "don`t judge a book by its cover" that is all written into a great screenplay by,among others, Aaron Sorkin.
It is beautifully shot and the montage of real and film images is very well excecuted. Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are great in the leading roles en rightfully nominated for the Oscars.

At first sight this is another typical American sports film, that many outside America won`t or won`t as much appreciate. But in the end it`s a surprisingly strong film, something I didn`t expect it to be on forehand.

8,0/10

Post #: 14
Wonderful Moneyball - 23/2/2012 10:47:33 PM   
lynnshep

Great film. Moving, smart, well acted. Pitt's best performance. Jonah Hill was outstanding. Great baseball flick.

Post #: 15
Wonderful Moneyball - 23/2/2012 10:47:34 PM   
lynnshep

Great film. Moving, smart, well acted. Pitt's best performance. Jonah Hill was outstanding. Great baseball flick.

Post #: 16
RE: Moneyball - 26/2/2012 4:03:47 AM   
rshoemake

i really liked this movie. An inspiring story of perseverance. 

Post #: 17
- 4/6/2012 5:53:55 AM   
Kramer Bozco

A movie that will gain more in years to come. The writing, acting, and directing are so pitch-perfect (no pun intended. . .okay, intended) that it seems effortless. Yes, it is a home run. But it's more like a perfect game, with every player rounding home base. My favorite of the year by a long center field hit. (Baseball puns hereby concluded.)

Post #: 18
Truly Excellent, Truly Enjoyable, Truly Engaging - 15/6/2012 12:23:09 AM   
blaud

As a 19 year old baseball fan living in the uk, I know very little of the history of the sport or notable past games and events, but I am always fascinated to hear such stories whenever I can. Because of this, Moneyball appealed to me immediately, but don't let it be said that any prior knowledge of the sport is necessary. It's not even necessary to have any interest in sport in general to appreciate Moneyball. It triumphs on its' own merits as a human drama that manages to be feel-good and engrossing without ever becoming schmaltzy, corny, or even the slightest bit unbelievable. Brad Pitt's performance is, as always, excellent, but the film also features a surprisingly capable dramatic turn by Jonah Hill, which I hope will open more doors for him and he ceases to become the typecast comedy moron. Occasionally, the film feels a little too dramatized in its' writing, especially in its' staging and setpieces, but the script is exceptional and the production is exactly how this kind of film should be done. A remarkably well-made and enjoyable film

Post #: 19
Moneyball - 24/9/2012 9:41:03 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think it's a good film but not a great one and I don't see the Oscar fuss surrounding the two main actors either, Pitt barely gets out of 2nd gear and Jonah Hill did practically nothing noteworthy for the entire film. You could have also replaced Seymour-Hoffman with anyone - a strangely lacklustre effort from a great actor.

I think Moneyball drags in parts, and while you can't get over the brilliance of the true life story I don't think it can maintain itself for the full running time.

Still definately worth watching as the story of a cut price team put together by statistics is fascinating.

(in reply to blaud)
Post #: 20
RE: Moneyball - 25/9/2012 4:45:57 AM   
Phubbs

Moneyball (2011)

Based on a novel which in turn is based on the real events of GM Billy Beane and his budget Oakland Athletics team during the 02 season.

Started out kinda dull to be honest and I was getting a bit twitchy thinking I had made a mistake but after Beane (Pitt) hires his young assistant things really picked up. It is a serious story about true events but its made in a light hearted enjoyable way with many humorous moments and not drowning you in baseball stats or dialog heavy board meetings.

Pitt is well cast as Beane and does come across as likeable even though I still think his acting skills are limited, his face fits well. One thing that does spring to mind is how much he looks like a young Robert Redford more and more, I'm not sure if he is being groomed for this or its his own doing as his mannerisms and hair are very similar indeed, especially in this film.

Along side Pitt there are great performances from Hill as his nerdy Yale grad number crunching assistant and as usual Hoffman shines as the A's manager Art Howe.

Overall an enjoyable positive story that has a feel good ending which isn't too sloppy but nicely touching, plus you don't really need to be a huge baseball fan to enjoy and its easier to follow than American Football methinks.

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Moneyball Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI