Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 3:55:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Woohoo! I''ve got a few comics lined up to read in the coming few days. They are as follows;

THE WALKING DEAD VOL.1
SANDMAN VOL.4: SEASON OF MISTS
THE NEW X-MEN (Grant Morrison)
BATMAN: THE CULT

I've already read The Walking Dead (Vol.1) a while ago, i feel its time for a re-read. From there i can start collecting Vol. 2, 3, 4 and so on....its an awesome series i know, but i never got round to reading more. Hopefully this re-read should correct that!

As for Sandman, what can i say? Ever since purchasing Preludes & Nocturnes, i've been hooked on the series! So. Cant wait to read Season of Mist. Hopefully it will be another awesome read!

Batman: The Cult i've been meaning to read for a loooooong time! And X-Men, i picked it up becuase of the author, namely one Grant Morrison. I just hope i remain sane by the time i've finished reading it! Ha ha!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 151
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 9:28:58 PM   
petecriss80000

Great choices there Nex, The Cult is excellent. New X-Men is being reprinted in a single, massive hardback volume again next summer (the old edition fetches serious moolah online, or at least it did 'til the new printing was announced), I read the whole run in one evening earlier this year and it's really good as well. Once you're done (you should pick up the 'Ultimate Colections', which collect the 40 or so issues in three handy books), read Joss 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, which ran 25 issues and follows pretty much directly on and is similarly excellent (and ALSO available in a single, gorgeous harback).

Needless to say the Walking Dead books are excellent as well, and might I recommend you pick up the Compendium next as it contains the first 8 volumes and costs less than 30, usually. The problem with Walking Dead is that reading just one volume at a time takes no time at all so it's always good to have several at once.

Post #: 152
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 9:48:34 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss80000

Great choices there Nex, The Cult is excellent. New X-Men is being reprinted in a single, massive hardback volume again next summer (the old edition fetches serious moolah online, or at least it did 'til the new printing was announced), I read the whole run in one evening earlier this year and it's really good as well. Once you're done (you should pick up the 'Ultimate Colections', which collect the 40 or so issues in three handy books), read Joss 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, which ran 25 issues and follows pretty much directly on and is similarly excellent (and ALSO available in a single, gorgeous harback).

Needless to say the Walking Dead books are excellent as well, and might I recommend you pick up the Compendium next as it contains the first 8 volumes and costs less than 30, usually. The problem with Walking Dead is that reading just one volume at a time takes no time at all so it's always good to have several at once.

Thanks mate. I've just finished reading The Walking Dead, took me just over an hour, i like to take my time you know, study the panels properly, and boy is the art in The Walking Dead something? I just love it! Also, i hear what your saying about reading the compendium because just reading one volume takes so little time. By the time your finished your gagging for more! Ha ha! Needless to say, re-reading it was a joy, now i'm going to seek out the rest!

Just one question, does the artwork stay the same for the rest of the series? Ie, by Tony Moore? 'cos i'm loving his work! Seriously, after Guy Davis, he's another name i'll be looking out for.

Oh, one more thing. How come your a 'Newbie' mate??

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/12/2011 9:50:27 PM >

(in reply to petecriss80000)
Post #: 153
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 10:34:22 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Damn! Just found out (via The Walking Dead thread) that Tony Moore doesn't appear for Vol. 2 bad decision if you ask me!

Post #: 154
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 11:43:02 PM   
furrybastard

Moore only does the art for the first 5 or six issues (the first trade). Charlie Adlard has been the interior and cover artist since then and it's up to #92!  I like Adlard a lot but to be honest, I find The Walking Dead visually and narratively very repetitive and I prefer Adlard's colour work. The on-the-nose dialogue really grates too particularly when you read the first couple of volumes.

"We could really make a live for ourselves here". It's like the comics' mantra!

Post #: 155
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/12/2011 12:03:50 AM   
petecriss80000

No idea. Where've my posts gone?!

Post #: 156
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/12/2011 3:22:15 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss80000

No idea. Where've my posts gone?!

Hmm? Have you tried talking to any of the MODS? Its odd seeing an Empire Elite member suddenly become a 'Newbie'! Hope you get it fixed!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 24/12/2011 3:23:47 AM >

Post #: 157
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/12/2011 8:12:59 AM   
Chojin

#98 had the first appearances of Deadpool and Domino. Deadpool also called Cable 'Nathan' which I think is the first hint of revealing him to be NCS. I'm quite liking Cables total deconstruction of the existing team and trying to make the team a harder, tougher team out for 'war'.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 158
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/12/2011 11:13:36 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Started reading SANDMAN VOL.4: SEASON OF MIST, i'm three chapters in and i have to say that IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! Seriously! I have never read a comic book series so astonishingly brilliant as SANDMAN! I'll leave the summary until i finish reading it, but i have to say every comic book fan or even fan of dark fantasy and a taste for good literature needs to read SANDMAN without delay!

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my fellow Forumites!! Whether members or non-members...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 159
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/12/2011 8:33:57 AM   
Chojin

It was all over so soon. I can't say I rated TNM above the regular x-titles but it was better than abominations like The Dazzler series. Highlights for me included:

Warlocks arrival/battle against The Magus - it had a real sense of urgency with these issues and he seemed like a true threat!
Magneto takes over - Although short-lived it shook things up a bit with Magneto in charge.
Darkchylde/Illyana - One of the more interesting characters and I thought her character design was quite cool.

Onto X-Force now which looks to have a tougher edge to it, but unfortunately brings Liefield with it (groan)

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 160
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/12/2011 2:21:51 PM   
borstal

Walking Dead V15 dropped through the door the other day. I can't wait to settle down to read it. I always make sure theres an empty house before I start reading a volume so Im not disturbed

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 161
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/12/2011 9:01:34 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Finished reading SANDMAN: SEASON OF MIST this morning, and i have to say it is a fuc***g masterpiece!

It is the best Sandman graphic novel i've read up till now, it had me hooked from the start to finish. Never had i felt so immersed in a story, so lost in a creation of such unbelievable brilliance. Seriously i was in awe by the end!

The story is about the Dream King, Morpheus aquiring the key to Hell, via Lucifer. Morpheus is visiting Hell to free his ex-lover who he sentenced to Hell after she had spurned him. Dream goes prepared, bidding farewell to family and friends because he knows theres a possibilty he may not return, because Lucifer holds a grudge against him. (see volume one). But he finds Hell empty, Dream is unprepared for what he finds. Lucifer it seems is tired of Hell, he wants out. He hands the key of Hell to Dream. Little does he know what lies ahead!

I wont divulge too much on the story because i want anyone who has not read this book, to see for themselves. See what a joy it is to read this astonishing graphic novel! Everything about it is comic book perfection from the art to the writing, by the genius that is NEIL GAIMAN!

Sometimes when you're reading a comic, there will be chapters which you find lag, or just plain boring. But not so here, every panel in this graphic novel is there for a reason. Everything ties up beautifully, even the story mid way through about the public schoolboy who is haunted by the dead. This ties in to the story earlier, because when Lucifer left hell, he freed all the evil souls, and demons. And so the dead were coming back. Hence the torment suffered by the boy. It is a very moving and poignant chapter in the book. At the end of the chapter when he wanders off with his friend to see the wider world, i was left dumb struck! I was awed by the writing, how Gaiman comes up with this stuff is just mind boggling!!

I also love the banquet scene where Dream invites all manner of Gods, Demons, Angels and Faerie folk's seeking the key to Hell, the deals they each hope would be sufficient for Dream to hand over the key. In a word it is freakin' AWESOME!

I cannot recomend this book enough. Seriously, EVERY comic book fan needs to read this.

I would give it 6 out of 5 stars if i could! In fact, SANDMAN is beyond rating, it is in a world of its own!

SANDMAN: VOL. 4, SEASON OF MIST ****** 6/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 27/12/2011 6:57:31 PM >

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 162
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/12/2011 9:25:13 PM   
petecriss80000

I just finished reading Shed, a Spider-Man arc featuring the Lizard from some time in the past year or so, and it's made me wonder why exactly I'm not reading modern Spider-Man comics when they're entertaining (not to mention in this case, downright nasty). I'm going to pick up the rest of The Gauntlet trades and follow on from there and get over this One More Day retcon of the marriage that's kept me from reading what is reportedly very good work. It also helps that it has a climax not unlike that of Quatermass And The Pit, which I watched last week. Any allusion to that Hammer classic, intentional or not, is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying Sandman Nex, with plenty more to go!

Post #: 163
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/12/2011 10:08:11 PM   
furrybastard

Are you reading the Sandman trades in order, Nex?  I know they're all relatively self-contained (the first couple of them anyway!) but I do think reading them in order is a more rewarding experience!

I remember reading Spider-Man: Shed actually, t'was a good story alright. Loved Bachalo's art (he's currently just started on his and Jason Aaron's Wolverine & the X-Men, the first issue of which is one of the best X-Men comics I've read since Morrison's run on the comic). Post-OMD, Spider-Man was actually a decent comic and from what I hear Slott's current run is one of the best in a while. I actually gave up on Spidey last year - I was reading them since I was about 8! - mainly because of the cost but also because the whole OMD thing was just very frustrating and Marvel's inability to deal with it just meant it was easier to give up, as well as the constant tie-ins to events.

Which is a pity because, as I said, Slott is apparently doing great work on the title at the moment.

As well as Shed, there was a great little story featuring the Rhino and some lovely art from the likes of Marcos Martin.

Currently reading this which is quite good fun!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 26/12/2011 10:09:40 PM >

Post #: 164
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/12/2011 11:10:03 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Furry, yes mate i am reading it in order. I'm upto volume 4, which i just finished reading. Having said that i have yet to read volume 2: Dolls House, i think i'll be purchasing it very soon. It's been a hoot so far, and like i said before i dont know what took me so long to get into the Sandman books. Maybe it was the covers which put me off ha ha!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 165
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 8:31:29 AM   
Chojin

...pretty bad. But part 2 has Mark Bagley Art at least!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 166
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 10:13:30 AM   
petecriss80000

Loved Bags in the 90s. Didn't care much for the massive head he saw fit to grant Pete in the earlier Ultimate issues but he got rid of eventually. Was really happy when I hear he was coming back for the Death Of story, particularly after he'd left for DC to work on Batman of all things and then just never read it, but I'm, sure I'll get to it.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 167
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 10:42:44 AM   
sanchia

A great book. Quality artwork mixed with storyline which at times are moving at other times are disturbing and tragic. Definitely recommended.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 168
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 6:53:31 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

A great book. Quality artwork mixed with storyline which at times are moving at other times are disturbing and tragic. Definitely recommended.

Wow! Looks like a really interesting read! Whats it about?

The animals on the cover have just reminded me, that i need to read PRIDE OF BAGHDAD very soon. Been meaning to read it for a while now...

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 27/12/2011 6:54:26 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 169
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 7:04:39 PM   
sanchia

A group of five dogs and a cat protect a town against supernatural occurances with the aid of a society of wise dogs. Not the best synopsis but that is essentially it. The comics themselves appeared to be self contained one shots which are collected in the book.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 27/12/2011 7:05:12 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 170
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 7:19:58 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

A group of five dogs and a cat protect a town against supernatural occurances with the aid of a society of wise dogs. Not the best synopsis but that is essentially it. The comics themselves appeared to be self contained one shots which are collected in the book.

Sounds like a really cool premise if you ask me! I'm really into the macabre/supernatural orientated comics such as Sandman and Hellboy/B.P.R.D, and Hellblazer, and this sounds like a story that is definetely up my street!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 27/12/2011 7:21:06 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 171
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 8:31:15 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Loved Beast of Burdens! This is one of the best collections of last year (I think it was in my Best of... list last year), really touching stuff. They're doing new short stories now in Dark Horse Presents (DH's 100 page anthology)

Nexus if you like Hellboy/BPRD you'll definitely enjoy this!  There's even a brilliant Hellboy/Beasts of Burden crossover (not featured in the above collection, sadly!)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 172
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/12/2011 8:53:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

You know, i'm trying to cut down on the swearing, but this is one of those times that warrants the use of the F word, why? Because HELLBOY + BEASTS OF BURDEN = FUC*ING AWESOME!!!!

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 173
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/12/2011 7:28:59 AM   
Chojin

I liked the previous issue (the Bagley art in particular), not sure where this mini-series is going however. Moira's possession by the Shadow King was explained in one text bubble even though it's been an ongoing mystery for 1-2 years of the current series!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 174
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/12/2011 9:13:32 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just started reading BATMAN: THE CULT last night. Looks very interesting. We'll see how the reading goes!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 175
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/12/2011 10:38:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I've definetely now added BEASTS OF BURDEN to my shopping list! In fact it will be the next graphic novel i order after i receive ALIENS VS PREDATOR OMNIBUS VOL 1 in the post (which i am STILL waiting for!):

I went online to check out the reviews for Beasts and was amazed with so many 5 star reviews, on Amazon i think ALL the reviewers gave it 5 stars. Of course its best to judge for yourself, hence my interest!

Post #: 176
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/12/2011 4:48:14 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading BATMAN: THE CULT, and i have to say it was an awesome read! One of the best Batman stories i've read for a while!

Reading the first couple of pages, i was worried that i may have another Morrison-esque head-fuck in my hands, but after reading further i realised it was anything but a head-trip! Sure there are some mystical elements to it, like how the Deacon (the baddie) can live for near a century without ageing, (the answer to that question is answered mid way through in a very shocking reveal). Talking of the baddie, i found Batman's adversary in this book one of the most dangerous, manipulative psycho's i had seen since well, The Joker!

The story briefly is about Batman, and his capture by a cult, and how he is brain washed by their leader, Deacon Blackfire. Batman is drugged and tortured until he finally see's the 'light'. But soon, he starts coming out of his drug induced prison and realises what a sick, cunning and dangerous bastard this so-called man of God is. Gotham is under siege by Deacon's brainwashed henchmen, he takes the city to ransom. But of course he did not bet on the strong will of a certain Caped Crusader, and his sidekick.

This is one of the most violent graphic novels i have read. Seriously, its not for the squeamish! Theres panel after panel of wholesale massacres, murders and dead bodies. The scary thing is that The Cult depicted in this excellent graphic novel, is not that far from reality. You see via the awesome writing of JIM STARLIN how people are brainwashed. I think this is the first time i've read a comic by Jim Starlin, and i have to say it is bloody excellent! As is the superb artwork by BERNIE WRIGHTSON, who brings this horror story to life so brilliantly.

Theres a scene where Batman hallucinates in his dream, his mum and dad visit him....as Zombies!! They ask him why he has given up on Gotham, why he is not defending the city.

Afterward Batman and Robin plan retribution against the Deacon....bad ass style!! I dont want to ruin it for anyone but my god!! That re-designed Batmobile looks fucking insane!!

I know i'm dragging on, but this graphic novel is so freakin' awesome i can go on for hours!! Ha ha!! Its safe to say i haven't had so much fun reading a Batman comic since Batman Year One!!

I urge everyone to read it A.S.A.P!

BATMAN: THE CULT ***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 30/12/2011 6:34:21 PM >

Post #: 177
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/12/2011 10:09:45 PM   
petecriss8000

The Cult's a classic, glad you enjoyed it!

I just finished reading Noel, a Batman graphic novel from this Christmas by Lee Bermejo (of 'Joker' fame). It's a telling of Dickens' A Christmas Carol and honestly one of the most enjoyable things I ever read and the art is quite simply amongst the best I've ever seen in comics (and I'd like to think of myself as well read). Perfect for Christmas, I think I'll be digging it out only once a year. It's impressive just how well Bermejo adapted to writing as well as illustrating, even as far down as the structure of the whole thing, it really is the complete package. I sometimes think A Christmas Carol is the greatest story ever written (and I've not even read the damn book!), so to have it paired with Batman is a minor dream come true. Recommended.

Post #: 178
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/12/2011 11:00:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

The Cult's a classic, glad you enjoyed it!

I just finished reading Noel, a Batman graphic novel from this Christmas by Lee Bermejo (of 'Joker' fame). It's a telling of Dickens' A Christmas Carol and honestly one of the most enjoyable things I ever read and the art is quite simply amongst the best I've ever seen in comics (and I'd like to think of myself as well read). Perfect for Christmas, I think I'll be digging it out only once a year. It's impressive just how well Bermejo adapted to writing as well as illustrating, even as far down as the structure of the whole thing, it really is the complete package. I sometimes think A Christmas Carol is the greatest story ever written (and I've not even read the damn book!), so to have it paired with Batman is a minor dream come true. Recommended.

Absolutely! In fact i''ve enjoyed reading it so much i'm thinking of adding it to my top 10 list of my favourite graphic novels!

As for Noel, it sound's bloomin' awesome! I might give it a look in...

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 179
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/12/2011 11:23:58 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Began reading ALIENS VS PREDATOR OMNIBUS VOL.1, last night and i have to say that i am enjoying it immensly! I loved the start when we see the Predators getting ready for battle and the Alien eggs getting cargoed, flung into various worlds so the Predators can come and do battle with the Xenomorphs! These scenes were brilliantly juxtaposed with two men (flying a space freighter) talking about Darwin's survival of the fittest and others things beside, you do not see them in person, just their speech. I thought it was done brilliantly!

And then we arrive on a Tatooine alike world; Ryushi, where we meet ranchers who herd 'Rynths'; a beast which is a cross between a rhino and a....erm rhino! Ha ha! I just love how you start learning about each character, and the dynamics between the workers and their employer's.

The artwork is so brilliant, very 80's (although released in 1990), very detailed. And the writing is very funny too! It reminded me a little of the comics by the great Japanese Manga maestro Masamune Shirow.

I dont know why the god awful AVP films could have gone this route? It would make for much better films. Its been a while since i've read a sci fi comic, and i have to say i'm really impressed!

That said, theres a LOT more to read through (i've barely started) so will give my thoughts on it when i've finished!

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI