Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 6:17:42 PM   
furrybastard

Just about to start this beauty...

It's been an absolutely stellar year for 2000AD. The end of Shakara (the most bonkers series since Nemesis), the soon-to-end Nikolai Dante (surely the greatest British comic of the last decade?!), Dredd's expansive and engrossing Day of Chaos, Alpha's return (or is it!?) in Strontium Dog, the hilarious Zombo, and the return of Flesh and the peerless Indigo Prime. And so much more that there's not enough bloody time to go over it all.

Anyone who's into comics and not reading 2000AD; you need to sit down and have a good, hard look at youself you silly tit!

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 17/12/2011 6:18:37 PM >

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 121
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 7:12:48 PM   
garvielloken

Haven't read 2000AD since the early 90s. Dredd must be pretty old in it now. He's gonna have to die sometime right?

Think I'll dig out Necropolis and The Dead Man sometime soon. That storyline was the definition of epic.

Can anyone remeber which story had Dredd stare full on into the face of Judge Fear before smashing his fist through his head? It's been bugging me for a while and I want to pick up the complete case files with that story in it. Cheers

< Message edited by garvielloken -- 17/12/2011 7:15:35 PM >

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 122
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 7:36:18 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken
Think I'll dig out Necropolis and The Dead Man sometime soon. That storyline was the definition of epic.

Can anyone remeber which story had Dredd stare full on into the face of Judge Fear before smashing his fist through his head? It's been bugging me for a while and I want to pick up the complete case files with that story in it. Cheers

I think it was around Prog 225. It's in Case Files 5, along with the complete Block War and Apocalypse War!  You can get that here (Click). Necropolis is reprinted in full in Case Files 14 (Click) but Tales of the Dead Man is reprinted separately (Click). Hope that helps!

quote:

Haven't read 2000AD since the early 90s. Dredd must be pretty old in it now. He's gonna have to die sometime right?

Oosh, yeah the Case Files are currently reprinting the early 90s stuff from Ennis, Millar and the rest. Most of it's pretty poor though it helps to have the Wagner-penned Megazine stories like Mechanismo in there.

Dredd is indeed pretty old now, they reference it quite a bit and deal with the issue regularly. There's a real sense of foreboding in Day of Chaos and there's some speculation that Wagner may be getting ready to finish up on the character. If you're interested in getting back into modern Judge Dredd, I'd recommend starting with The Pit and America. America you're probably familiar with but The Pit marked a new beginning for Dredd in the late 90s/early 2000s with Wagner taking full control of the character again (The Pit is, in my opinion, the second or third best Dredd epic after The Apocalypse War and the Judge Child Quest!)

Better yet, just pick up Prog 2012 and go from there!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 123
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 8:43:00 PM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

I think it was around Prog 225. It's in Case Files 5, along with the complete Block War and Apocalypse War!  You can get that here (Click). Necropolis is reprinted in full in Case Files 14 (Click) but Tales of the Dead Man is reprinted separately (Click). Hope that helps!

YES!!! That picture is awesome! I remember being really impressed as a kid reading this because Dredd was the only person who could look into his face. They reprinted the old issues in a monthly comic in the early to mid 90s which is where I first read this. I think it was called The Complete Dredd if I'm not mistaken.

I also remember being pissed because The Cursed Earth reprint was missing parts with a Ronald McDonald type villian. Did they get the rights to reprint those in the case files by any chance?

I can barely remember the America storyline. At the time I was pretty young so my pocket money would only cover 2000AD and not the Judge Dredd Megazine. Although I was able to convince my parents to extend my pocket money for The Megazine when Judgement Day was running in both comics. Sneaky publishers man, trying to fleece kids.

Anyway thanks for the info man it's a great help

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Post #: 124
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 9:09:41 PM   
furrybastard

Unfortunately they didn't ever sort out the rights to those McDonalds stories and they've been left out of the Case Files as well.

America is pretty much the definitive Dredd story and is widely considered the best Judge Dredd story ever written!  I can't recommend it highly enough, to be honest.

Post #: 125
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 10:04:21 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading V for Vendetta, and i have to say that it was freakin' brilliant! It was bleak, dark, thrilling, and uplifting, it was a graphic novel like no other!

It''s not an easy read though, if you so much as skip a panel or two, you might end up in the dark! I have to say that this is one of the fastest i've read a graphic novel, esp one as complex and detailed as V. The key reason being that once you start reading it - you cant stop! V for Vendetta is a brilliant comic, full of BIG idea's, Anarchy > chaos > freedom > like i said, its not a superhero comic. Although you can argue V IS a sort of super HERO. David Lloyd explains it brilliantly in the foreword; V for Vendetta is for all the people who do NOT switch off the News!!.

A stunning, totalitarian nightmare . V for vendetta is a masterpiece! I'm just amazed i hadn''t read it earlier.

***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 17/12/2011 10:06:37 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 126
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 10:30:36 PM   
furrybastard

You might be interested in this blog, Nexus.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-great-alan-moore-reread

He's re-reading almost all of Alan Moore's work and critiques it. Pretty interesting read and a lot of contextual info and analysis!

Post #: 127
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 10:38:01 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I had RED SON delivered this morning, and boy i cannot wait to get stuck in! Having said that, i have yet to read B.P.R.D volume 1, i mean the whole book which is a hardback edition looks so stunning, i've just flicked through some of the pages, just admiring the artwork by all these talented artists, (this book is BIG!), i'm almost scared to get started 'cos i know i'll get hooked big time!

Having said that, i still have ANOTHER comic to read as well!! Bloody hell!! I'll just list them in reading order:

1) RED SON
2) HELLBLAZER: HOOKED
3) B.P.R.D VOL. 1. PLAGUE OF FROGS

So, without further ado, i'll say that the book i'm reading now, or will be reading after i finish this post, is RED SON.....

England Prevails!

Post #: 128
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/12/2011 10:41:09 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

You might be interested in this blog, Nexus.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/the-great-alan-moore-reread

He's re-reading almost all of Alan Moore's work and critiques it. Pretty interesting read and a lot of contextual info and analysis!

Thanks mate! I'll definitely give it a look! I love reading other people's views on a book i've read, or love. Sometimes you learn really interesting stuff, even finding theories and view points you never knew existed!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 11:04:21 AM >

Post #: 129
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/12/2011 2:21:03 PM   
garvielloken

Just started re-reading these. The dark humour and extreme violence work really well together and I always get a good laugh reading them. Vasquez should get his finger out and start creating new material.

Post #: 130
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/12/2011 10:15:19 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading RED SON last night after putting the kids to bed! And i have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable Superman comics i have read! (although i have to admit, i havent reaad THAT many Superman comics in the first place!).

The story basically is an Elseworld premise; what if Superman had landed 12 hours earlier in Russia and NOT America? What would the implications be? How would America react to this Communist Superman? The answer lies in this beautifully illustrated, brilliantly written graphic novel by Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass).

It was fucking awesome watching Superman turn into totalitarian dictator, and Batman had me in stiches!! Seriously, The Dark Knight has never looked so cool! He reminded me a lot of V from V for Vendetta, a terrorist/ freedom fighting Batman who is a threat to Superman's idelogies. So is Lex Luthor, who is so brainy he makes Einstein look like Borat! Seriously, i urge anyone who is a comic fan, and who has NOT read RED SON to buy it A.S.A.P! No collection is complete without this absolutely brilliant take on The Man of Steel!

And oh, did i mention the ending?

***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/12/2011 10:20:34 AM >

Post #: 131
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/12/2011 1:08:53 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading RED SON last night after putting the kids to bed! And i have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable Superman comics i have read! (although i have to admit, i havent reaad THAT many Superman comics in the first place!).

The story basically is an Elseworld premise; what if Superman had landed 12 hours earlier in Russia and NOT America? What would the implications be? How would America react to this Communist Superman? The answer lies in this beautifully illustrated, brilliantly written graphic novel by Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass).

It was fucking awesome watching Superman turn into totalitarian dictator, and Batman had me in stiches!! Seriously, The Dark Knight has never looked so cool! He reminded me a lot of V from V for Vendetta, a terrorist/ freedom fighting Batman who is a threat to Superman's idelogies. So is Lex Luthor, who is so brainy he makes Einstein look like Borat! Seriously, i urge anyone who is a comic fan, and who has NOT read RED SON to buy it A.S.A.P! No collection is complete without this absolutely brilliant take on The Man of Steel!

And oh, did i mention the ending?

***** 5/5

Told you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Red Son is fantastic.

I defy you not to smile at the conclusion.

It's my favourite Supes book too, but like yourself mainly because I haven't read many. I find him kind of boring unless he's in a Batman story, or like here an Elseworlds tale.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 132
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/12/2011 1:37:15 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

It's my favourite Supes book too, but like yourself mainly because I haven't read many. I find him kind of boring unless he's in a Batman story, or like here an Elseworlds tale.

Same here. The only other Superman comic i loved reading was 'What ever happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' by Alan Moore. I too like you, prefer seeing Supes in the Batman stories, namely The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again both where Supes gets his ass kicked by Batman! Ha ha! It makes him a more interesting character as a US goverment stooge.

He may not be the strongest of DC characters (comics wise) and may not have the pulling power of say Batman, or even one John Constantine, but he is far from uninteresting. Like Mark Millar demonstrated so brilliantly.

But i have to admit to having a soft spot for Superman; he was an icon for me and my friends growing up in the 80's via the films. Christopher Reeves STILL remains the ultimate Superman, and Brandon Routh cannot come even a hair close to Reeves.

But yes, RED SON is a masterpiece! And now sits high up in my personal collection!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/12/2011 4:37:44 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 133
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/12/2011 1:49:27 PM   
sharkboy

Try Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman if you want a Supes story that'll blow your socks off.  Supes with a year to live, a super-powered Lois Lane and the Twelve Trials of Superman.  Brilliant reading.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 134
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/12/2011 4:34:00 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Try Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman if you want a Supes story that'll blow your socks off.  Supes with a year to live, a super-powered Lois Lane and the Twelve Trials of Superman.  Brilliant reading.

Hmm? Sounds like something i would lap with unbridled gusto! Ha ha! I'll definetly look into it. Thanks!

BTW the last time i read a Grant Morrison graphic novel i had to be hospitalised because of a mental breakdown!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/12/2011 4:46:09 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 135
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/12/2011 6:11:37 PM   
Chojin

marks Xaviers return to Earth

never been much of a Gambit fan but he is growing on me.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 136
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/12/2011 6:24:36 PM   
directorscut

If you know your Batman as well as I do you'll quickly notice these are "re-imaginings" of very early Batman stories from Bob Kane. In the first Batman is put up against Hugo Strange, who is building an army of genetically engineered super mutants. In my mind I changed his name to Professor Farnsworth and the story became much more awesome. I have to deduct a point for mentioning Metropolis.

In the second Batman comes up against a cult of hipster nosferatus . The "fight" between Batman and The Monk was so abrupt I thought pages were stuck together and I skipped over them. I also have to deduct a point for mentioning Metropolis, but then they make fun of how stupid that is so I give them a point back.

Entertaining and worth reading but not essential Batman.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 137
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/12/2011 11:34:21 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I just started reading B.P.R.D Vol 1. PLAGUE OF FROGS, last night.

The whole premise of this comic book collection is so damn cool! The first chapter which i've started reading is called 'Hollow Earth', the art work is so majestic and beautiful to behold. This is the volume where we're introduced to Johann Kraus (the character we saw in Hellboy II: The Golden Army).

I just love the flashback's of Hellboy by his friends, esp when Abe Sapien recalls how Hellboy rescued him from experimentation by the Bureau - its very poignant. Even though Hellboy is not present in this series, he is present in spirit. Which makes it more powerful. You can see how his ex-colleagues miss him.

Man, i just love it! Anyone who hasn't read B.P.R.D before, i urge you to do so A.S.A.P!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/12/2011 11:36:38 AM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 138
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/12/2011 12:12:21 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

BTW the last time i read a Grant Morrison graphic novel i had to be hospitalised because of a mental breakdown!

The Invisibles perchance?  'Cause that was one mind-fuck of a title!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 139
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/12/2011 2:21:25 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Ha ha! I haven't read it yet, but already i'm getting the jitters

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 140
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/12/2011 12:39:48 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ha ha! I haven't read it yet, but already i'm getting the jitters

It's worth a read.  After all, in whose mind but Morrisons would you get a plot involves the Marquis de Sade being brought forward in time and visiting an S&M club in the company of a Brazilian transvestite shaman called Lord Fanny?

And if that hasn't sold it for you, I don't know what will!

WWLD?

Post #: 141
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/12/2011 1:56:59 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I'm sold!

It was on my reading list already, but thanks to your post, i think i'll be seeking it out earlier! Just as long as i know what i'll be getting myself into!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 21/12/2011 2:09:27 AM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 142
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/12/2011 2:06:00 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Finished reading HELLBLAZER: HOOKED a little while ago. It was a very dark and enjoyable read by Peter Mulligan. This story precedes HELLBLAZER: INDIA, and although its a tad short, nonethless, it was another fun foray into the murky, twisted, dark and entertaining world of John Constantine!

**** 4/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 21/12/2011 2:07:47 AM >

Post #: 143
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/12/2011 9:50:40 PM   
petecriss8000

quote:

It's worth a read.  After all, in whose mind but Morrisons would you get a plot involves the Marquis de Sade being brought forward in time and visiting an S&M club in the company of a Brazilian transvestite shaman called Lord Fanny

Perhaps that of someone trying deliberately to make fun of Grant Morrison?

A friend from work lent me the Wolverine/ Black Cat: Claws miniseries (in which the pair are kidnapped to be hunted by a robotic Kraven and his buddies) which seems to have no reason I can think of for actually existing (it's soooooo pointless!) and the first volume of Under The Hood, in which Batman is confronted by a new enemy who's actually an old friend (I'll not spoil for those who've not read it/ seen the animated film/ lived under a rock for a decade), and I really enjoyed it despite it feeling a little like it was rushing to get to the big reveal, even over seven issues (or over half a year in terms of original publication). I've been in a DC mood recently and Batman's taking up a lot of my reading time when I'm not working my way through the 80s X-Men stuff (which has halted somewhat as I've run out of trades). I hear that The Black Mirror is very good and am interested in picking it up though I heard the same about the Joker graphic that came out a few years back which wasn't my cup of tea at all.

Like you say Nex, it's hard deciding what to read next and the backlog of titles is steadily increasing!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 144
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/12/2011 5:50:58 PM   
Chojin

...pretty shit.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 145
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/12/2011 9:43:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

.....still reading B.P.R.D, finished Book 1, now onto Book 2, i loved Drums of the Dead, a brilliantly illustrated story about weird goings on on a ship. Abe Sapien and a friend investigate. But the reason's behind the 'drums' beating (hence the title) is very shocking indeed, not to mention quite affecting.

'Dark Waters' the next story is bloody gorgeous to look at, no doubt Guy Davis being the main reason why, he has fast become one of my favourite comic book artists!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 22/12/2011 9:45:36 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 146
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 12:37:47 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

'Dark Waters' the next story is bloody gorgeous to look at, no doubt Guy Davis being the main reason why, he has fast become one of my favourite comic book artists!

Big fan of Guy Davis as well. I think he's probably the best 'monster guy' in comics. Some of his designs are genuinely creepy!  None more so than in his creator-owned work The Marquis (Click)

Post #: 147
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 7:14:38 AM   
Chojin

Surprisingly the story picked up a bit in this issue and was an improvement on the last. End Game is upcoming with the return of Apocalypse

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 148
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 10:01:56 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Just finished reading

and

Will be reading the following next

and

I didn't think much of Colossus Bloodlines but Scarlet Glory was pretty decent. Of the 2 I'm about to read I'm much more excited by Shadowland: Daredevil than Infinite Crisis because I quite enjoyed Shaowland and apart from Batman I'm not much of a DC fan.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 149
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/12/2011 11:48:18 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Big fan of Guy Davis as well. I think he's probably the best 'monster guy' in comics. Some of his designs are genuinely creepy!  None more so than in his creator-owned work The Marquis (Click)

Thanks for the link mate!

Thanks to you i'm now holding a book that is akin to holding holy scripture in your hands, namely B.P.R.D!! And Guy Davis really is something! I'll also be adding The Marquis to my shopping list; these are the following books which i need to order;

Alens vs Predator Omnibus Vol. 1 (thanks to my mate Snake-Eyes!)
Batman: The Long Halloween New Edition
Batman Gothic New Edition
THE MARQUIS: INFERNO
B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs Vol. 2 Hardback

All the above mentioned books are on sale at The Book Depository, which has become my favourite website for online comic book shopping!

Ideally i would love to order them all in one go, ha ha! But my wife will not be too pleased when she see's a mini library arriving on our doorstep! (not to mention the bank balance!) So maybe one or two books each month. Patience is the key!

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI