Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  44 45 46 47 [48]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/2/2014 8:28:54 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin
Seems i'm not as informed as I thought I was! I read the two Welcome Back Frank stories that were released as part of the graphic novel collection. They used language like 'mother-loving' instead of motherfucking etc and it just seemed cheesy to me. From the Preacher creative team I expected something a little more adult.

So perhaps I should check out the proper MAX Punisher run which should sway my opinion.

Huh. I think maybe the people responsible for those reprints edited that themselves. I seem to remember the Marvel Knights Punisher having the sufficient gore, nudity and cursing that one expects from Ennis. I wonder if they censored/edited anything else out!?

I'd recommend having a look at the trades of that series or just skipping straight to Punisher: Born and the subsequent Punisher MAX run which brings the character into the 'real' world, away from superheroics and the tongue-in-cheek Preacher-esque humour.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1411
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/2/2014 8:35:03 PM   
furrybastard

Wonderful stuff. Taking place in Berlin between the years of 1928 and 1933 and featuring a wide variety of characters, examining the economic, political and cultural struggles of a fractured society still reeling from The Great War. Lutes has a great, detailed 'realist' style that every now and again delves into a strange kind of poetic romanticism when dealing with the characters' feelings and dreams. Making the real world events all the more brutal and affecting when they happen. Highly recommended.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1412
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/2/2014 2:36:30 PM   
indysgill

Finished this. It was really good.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 1413
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/2/2014 11:41:34 AM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Re-read. Even better than first time around. The art is fantastic. Now considering buying volume 2:

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1414
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/3/2014 7:36:59 AM   
Chojin

Fun, fast flowing and some beautiful art. Not taking it too seriously and i'm enjoying it :)

Also recently read Naruto 64 which is still going strong and it took me about a month to get through the awful Marvel 60's Origins GN.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 1415
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/4/2014 4:54:09 PM   
Super Hans

Having finally got round to buying the remaining volumes at Christmas, I'm finally in the process of reading through the Preacher series.

I bought the first two a good 8 years ago (possibly 9!), then had a few the following Christmas but realised upon reading the 3rd one that I'd forgotten half of what had happened before it . I then decided to buy all 9 volumes then read them back to back...which is what I'm now finally doing!

They're an excellent read so far. I'm currently on Ancient History (volume 4), which is essentially 3 character back stories and separate from the main plot. I started it with a mentality of just wanting to get it out of the way so I can crack on with the story itself, but I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought I would!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1416
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/5/2014 10:14:48 AM   
Chojin

Recent Reads:

Thunderbolts - Faith in Monsters - Pretty average if i'm honest. I was expecting more as I love the Venom character but he was completely under-used. Possible 2 pages of development if that on Venom. Very underwhelming
Ghost Rider - Road to Damnation - Beautifully drawn and very fast paced and violent. Enjoyed this one :) the dark humor was also very Ennis
Son of M - Currently reading this one and only two issues in. Bit different and I haven't really formed an opinion yet.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 1417
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/5/2014 10:59:49 AM   
sharkboy

I've gone a bit crazy on comics recently, some re-reads, others new titles. In anticipation of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I've been hitting the Marvel Cosmic titles pretty hard - I've done the Annihilation, Thanos Imperative and Infinity storylines, as well as catching up with the monthly GotG title.

In addition to this, I've been getting heavily into Image's latest output, with Pretty Deadly, Black Science, Manhattan Projects, Ghosted, East of West, Rat Queens and Lazarus. Of these, Manhattan Projects, Rat Queens and Lazarus come highly recommended, although the others are definitely worth checking out too.

Finally, I've just finished 50-odd issues of Elephantmen, which has been absolutely brilliant and well worth anyone's time and money

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1418
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/5/2014 5:24:49 PM   
Denzel

I got some KISS comics in the mail last week that I am going to start reading. LOVE KISS!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1419
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/5/2014 10:13:41 AM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Second read. First was a good few years ago so I don't remember much. Loving it so far, think it's far more likely to appeal to me now I'm in my mid-30s

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to Denzel)
Post #: 1420
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/5/2014 7:51:47 AM   
Chojin

Still going strong but for the last 4 or so volumes it's become a bit of a slog. The Mangaka seems to have got lost with constant drivel about the definition of fighting and philosophy which doesn't quite fit in a manga about high school fighting and fitting as much fan service in as possible. I just want to see big epic fights but the story is quite incomprehensible at this point. At least I can't slate the artwork, it's top notch.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 1421
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/6/2014 8:31:17 PM   
sanchia

What a great comic. You really care for these dogs and the ending does bring a lump to the throat.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1422
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/6/2014 9:04:42 AM   
Chojin

Making my way through the series again and buying the HC Books rather reading digitally. I was completely up to date back in 2010-11 so i'm about 30-40 issues behind. It's great fun re-reading the series, there was so much I forgot about.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1423
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/6/2014 11:59:52 PM   
rich

Bastard Prince on inkblazers

Edit: Okay that's been cut short as a work in progress there's only about 5 pages. A lovely 5 pages though.

Going to get some Hellboy out I think.

< Message edited by rich -- 22/6/2014 6:05:17 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1424
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/7/2014 3:37:08 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

What a great comic. You really care for these dogs and the ending does bring a lump to the throat.

I really enjoyed this, but in terms of stories seen through an animal's eyesI have to admit to preferring Warren Ellis' We3 or Briak K Vaughn's Pride of Baghdad.

I've been catching up again, this time with Morning Glories. So far it's been very enjoyable, but some 14 or so issues in, I'm starting to think that they're dragging out this mystery a bit too long. I do like how they throw the occasional bone, but a few more would be nice at this stage!

Elsewhere, Rat Queens is quickly becoming one of my favourite titles

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1425
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/7/2014 10:08:56 PM   
Chojin

Started on this as I got it for Xmas but had too much of backlog until I could start reading it. I'm genuinely surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. It's such a believable world and the story is exciting and moves very fast. It's aged very well!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1426
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/7/2014 7:10:47 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
Elsewhere, Rat Queens is quickly becoming one of my favourite titles

Rat Queens is great! I don't quite understand how it isn't a phenomenon yet...

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1427
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/10/2014 3:31:59 PM   
sharkboy

Anyone else picking this up? I'm enjoying it so far (though I am a self-professed Ellis fanboy). I like the fact that the Trees are just "there", with no real explanation outside the original introduction as to how they got there, and no idea of their purpose.

WWLD?

Post #: 1428
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/10/2014 8:03:02 PM   
furrybastard

Yeah I'm really enjoying all of Ellis' comics work at the moment. Moon Knight was a punch in the gut while Trees has a more melancholic Euro-sci-fi feel to it that I quite like. Supreme: Blue Rose is pretty crazy; the last issue really got things going in an interesting direction. Showing all those convergence/multiEarths/Crisis whippersnappers how it's done.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1429
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/11/2014 7:57:04 AM   
Chojin

I'm currently making my way through the Punisher MAX Omnibus by Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon. I would recommend this to anyone, if you're a punisher fan or not. It's dark as hell, funny, extremely violent and adult with nothing held back. I'm also not usually a fan of Dillons artwork but it has some great colour work in this book that really fits the tone. His one expression fits all face for the Punisher makes Frank a more believable unstoppable killing machine.

It's very fast paced with some double spreads only having a few words between them - it reads a lot like Kirkmans work.

I still haven't read any of the MAX Ennis stuff (I know, I should be ashamed) so I have nothing much to hold this up against but it's truly brilliant and a joy to read. I'm currently 2/3 of the way through and it's been gripping stuff so far showing the rise of the Kingpin and pretty much 5 issues of Bullseye vs The Punisher.

Also leave any chronology or 616 knowledge at the door. This book doesn't have any material holding it down.

On price I managed to get the omnibus for around £30-35 includng P&P so it's a little on the pricey side for a 23 issue book but I can't argue on the quality of the content.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1430
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/11/2014 8:02:59 PM   
sanchia

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1431
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2014 10:05:59 AM   
Chojin

Started making my way through the Annihilation omnibus at home. Pretty good, liking the first Drax story. My knowledge of Marvel Cosmic is pretty basic and mostly based on my movie knowledge so I'm looking forward to knowing a bit more about it.

Also started reading the 'Second Coming' hardcover I bought which i'm reading at work. About three issues in and fucking loving it. X-Force are brutal and I love their no nonsense attitude where they'll do anything to protect mutants. Some brilliant art so far and the story is fast paced whilst still maintaining some great chemistry between Cable and Hope. I think I'm going to enjoy this one.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1432
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2014 12:08:39 PM   
sanchia

As a rule I hate Mark Millar comics with ones like Kick Ass and The Ultimates being horrific. That said very occasionally he comes out with a little gem like this one. It is the standard Millar approach but the tone actually works well and is not so unpleasant as in other comics he has written.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1433
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 46 47 [48]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  44 45 46 47 [48]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI