Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2013 10:38:00 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Proudfoot, do I know you from somewhere else, or am I mistaken?

You're not a fan of 2000ad by any chance are you?!

Great pick by the way, Blacksad is amazing.

I haven't read 2000AD, though I am aware of it, so you're probably thinking of someone else. Was Camelot 3000 part of 2000AD?

And I've only read the first Blacksad story so far, but goddamn! Not only are the characters incredibly expressive and beautiful, but the backgrounds, man, the backgrounds... You can almost smell the world. So many details and the colors, framing and angles perfectly support what's going on. The one page scene where someone is assassinated and Blacksad has to shoot back was thrilling like a great movie action scene, it carried real kinetic power and that must be hard as hell to do. Great writing as well, fine plotting and a nifty sense of humour about it. Like when he's following the rat and says he "feels a natural animosity" towards him or how "the cold blood" from a lizard is running down a table.

Fantastic stuff, they utilize the medium for maximum effect.

Hope the other stories are as good.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1351
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/9/2013 12:25:07 AM   
Nexus Wookie

No it's not part of 2000ad!

Sorry for getting you mixed up with someone else!

Re: Blacksad, it's bloody magnificent in my view. The fact the characters are animals does not detract from the overall enjoyment of the story much like Maus, in fact it makes it better.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 1352
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/9/2013 12:37:19 AM   
Proudfoot

quote:

No it's not part of 2000ad!

Sorry for getting you mixed up with someone else!

Re: Blacksad, it's bloody magnificent in my view. The fact the characters are animals does not detract from the overall enjoyment of the story much like Maus, in fact it makes it better.

Yeah, I just looked it up. Think the reason I thought it was part of 2000AD was Brian Bolland's involvement.

And anthropomorphized characters are certainly not better than your garden variety humans, but they do have a certain unique in, a way of getting to things in a way that's just as strong, but different. When done right, of course. And noir already works with archetypes, so it's a fitting choice.

< Message edited by Proudfoot -- 24/9/2013 3:00:03 AM >

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

Post #: 1353
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/9/2013 7:41:26 PM   
matthewforan

Just finished this it was utterly brilliant

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 26/9/2013 7:42:22 PM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 1354
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/9/2013 12:31:54 AM   
Proudfoot

Just got my hands on this one.

I don't expect much plot. I do expect plenty of sexy lady.

< Message edited by Proudfoot -- 30/9/2013 10:31:24 PM >

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1355
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/9/2013 7:17:54 PM   
Chojin

Read quite a bit recently...

Ultimates #2 - I finished this series and it's just as good as the first. It slowly builds to yet another epic action packed finale. Both series really influenced the Avengers film - I was waiting for the Hulks return and to become somewhat of a good guy and it delivered.

Ultimates #3 - Let's get the bad out of the way. The writing and plot is completely different from the first two and I really do agree with some reviews that I read which stated there isn't any way to differentiate this series from the Regular MU Avengers. Even the costumes are the same. The majority of characters seem to have become what they were in the regular universe making this just another Avengers tale - and a not too compelling one at that.

Now the good - Joe Mad can fucking illustrate. This re-affirmed his status in my eyes as the worlds greatest comic book artist. Female characters are drawn seductively with curvaceous and sultry figures and the males are these muscle bound tanks that you can feel the impact when they clash. The inker (sorry only got a memory good enough for penciller/writer ) also makes Mad's art very dark and gives it a less 'cartoony' feel. The art is just on another level - fucking amazing. I love Mads art and I wish he worked more!

P.S. - Nobody draws Sabretooth like JM can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimate Hulk Vs. Wolverine - not bad, very adult. It was told in a flash forward/flash back type muddle with the actual fight being spread across the 6 issues. Some really vicious parts, but ultimately forgettable.

Ultimate War - Ultimates Vs Ultimate X-Men - I read the first two issues today, really hasn't grabbed me as yet.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1356
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/10/2013 11:51:06 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

OLD MAN LOGAN (Mark Millar Steve McNiven)

I find it quite odd that I've been abit of a known critic with regards to Miller and his writing style over the years but yet I have 3 of his more popular works (Kick-as,Nemesis and now Old Man Logan) placed on my shelf,and ones I go back too quite regularly...(whats this say about me)

Overal,I'm pleasantly surprised by this outing from Miller.He creates a solid premise,a believable (as super-hero idea's go) depressed downtrodden environment and one with a good amount of attachment towards it's lead characters,something of which I've been critical of Miller before.
The Artwork is outstanding.McNiven pretty much comes from the Brian Bolland school of illustration.Thick lines,great use of cross hatching's to create detailed depth and a brilliant eye for expression in his characters and worlds.One of the worlds best,no doubt.

So,as mentioned,pleasantly surprised.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 3/10/2013 11:54:04 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1357
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/10/2013 11:34:29 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just started going through this Judge Dredd Megazine mega haul! I'm a big fan of the Meg, so I bought these back issues for a bargain from a friend. :-)

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1358
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/10/2013 9:39:30 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I find it quite odd that I've been abit of a known critic with regards to Miller and his writing style over the years but yet I have 3 of his more popular works (Kick-as,Nemesis and now Old Man Logan) placed on my shelf,and ones I go back too quite regularly...(whats this say about me)

Overal,I'm pleasantly surprised by this outing from Miller.He creates a solid premise,a believable (as super-hero idea's go) depressed downtrodden environment and one with a good amount of attachment towards it's lead characters,something of which I've been critical of Miller before.
The Artwork is outstanding.McNiven pretty much comes from the Brian Bolland school of illustration.Thick lines,great use of cross hatching's to create detailed depth and a brilliant eye for expression in his characters and worlds.One of the worlds best,no doubt.

I really enjoyed Old Man Logan too. Yes Mark Millar can be a tit sometimes, but he is still talented and can write a good yarn if he wants to. Not a fan of Kick Ass the comic myself, but I really enjoyed this and Enemy of the State. Red Son for me though remains his best work.

Post #: 1359
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/10/2013 10:04:47 PM   
directorscut

That looks amazing Nexus. Must have cost a pretty penny.

I bought some Progs and Megazine off 2000AD store today myself (nowhere near as many). I'll post them when they arrive.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 1360
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2013 1:25:13 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I bought some Progs and Megazine off 2000AD store today myself (nowhere near as many). I'll post them when they arrive.

Yeah it did, I calculated it to something like 1 a Meg, which is still a bargain when you consider each costs between 4.99 - 5.60 (the most recent price). So really happy overall with the purchase. I just started reading and already I'm blown away by some of the stuff.

It's great to hear you're also getting into the progs/ Megs! The 2000ad store can be quite pricey when it comes to back issues as they stick with the original price. For a couple of progs/Megs its okay, but if you want to get back issues or recent issues check out eBay as you always get sellers offloading them for quite cheap, sometimes in bundles. I was lucky enough to purchase probably 100 Megs (from the earlier issues) for only 99p! I know it sounds insane! And there's also the 'Classified' section on the 2000ad forum where you'll find forum members selling their prog and meg collections for very reasonable prices. That's where I got all my stuff from! It's great to have you on board, trust me there's nothing quite like the power of Thrillpower! Do post your purchases when you get the time, I'd love to see them! Cheers.

P.S I hope you also purchased this months Megazine? Be sure to check it out - its an absolute blast (and a great jumping on issue for new readers).

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 5/10/2013 1:36:24 AM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1361
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2013 10:59:44 AM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

I really enjoyed Old Man Logan too. Yes Mark Millar can be a tit sometimes, but he is still talented and can write a good yarn if he wants to. Not a fan of Kick Ass the comic myself, but I really enjoyed this and Enemy of the State. Red Son for me though remains his best work.

Then again if you spend a good few years writing and re-writing something it had better be good.

The problem I am finding with Millar at the moment is he writes with a view to selling a film which does not always make a good comic (as Warren Ellis once said in an interview) and his actual hit or miss rate is pretty high. Kick Ass may be popular but it is a pretty awful comic with a slight premise sold on violence over plot.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1362
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2013 3:21:46 PM   
Chojin

Started off interesting enough, but soon dipped.

Not been too impressed with any of the Ultimates spin-off material. Only the first two series were brilliant with the third only being worth it for the art.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1363
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2013 9:29:29 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

Yeah it did, I calculated it to something like 1 a Meg, which is still a bargain when you consider each costs between 4.99 - 5.60 (the most recent price). So really happy overall with the purchase. I just started reading and already I'm blown away by some of the stuff.

It's great to hear you're also getting into the progs/ Megs! The 2000ad store can be quite pricey when it comes to back issues as they stick with the original price. For a couple of progs/Megs its okay, but if you want to get back issues or recent issues check out eBay as you always get sellers offloading them for quite cheap, sometimes in bundles. I was lucky enough to purchase probably 100 Megs (from the earlier issues) for only 99p! I know it sounds insane! And there's also the 'Classified' section on the 2000ad forum where you'll find forum members selling their prog and meg collections for very reasonable prices. That's where I got all my stuff from! It's great to have you on board, trust me there's nothing quite like the power of Thrillpower! Do post your purchases when you get the time, I'd love to see them! Cheers.

P.S I hope you also purchased this months Megazine? Be sure to check it out - its an absolute blast (and a great jumping on issue for new readers).

I did check out ebay but P&P to Ireland (mostly 7!) pretty much kills any chance of a bargain.

I got 14 issues (including Megazine 340, oh yes) for 42 incl P&P which is about 3 per issue. Whereas ebay would be around 5 per prog and 8 per Megazine.

I also looked into a subscription for the Megazine but it turned out to cost 2 more per issue than buying them separately as back issues!

Ideally I could just walk into my news agents and buy them but I've looked everyone and no one seems to stock them!

Post #: 1364
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2013 10:00:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

I did check out ebay but P&P to Ireland (mostly 7!) pretty much kills any chance of a bargain.

I got 14 issues (including Megazine 340, oh yes) for 42 incl P&P which is about 3 per issue. Whereas ebay would be around 5 per prog and 8 per Megazine.

I also looked into a subscription for the Megazine but it turned out to cost 2 more per issue than buying them separately as back issues!

Ideally I could just walk into my news agents and buy them but I've looked everyone and no one seems to stock them!

If it's any help, it might be an idea to keep an eye on Amazon if you have a Kindle programme on anything. At one point each of the Judge Dredd casefiles was under 2.

I sometimes wish I'd kept my old megazines - I bought them from the start. Went in clearouts years ago though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 1365
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2013 10:01:00 PM   
Nexus Wookie

It's bloody frustrating when your local newsagents doesn't stock a comic/ mag you're after. I had difficulty obtaining the prog and meg at first but thank god, I discovered a newsagents not too far from where I live that stocked it. In your case perhaps you could request them to order it in for you, it's worth a try anyhow. If not then a sub would probably be next choice, or you can go digital if you're okay with that (I prefer my paper copy!).

Hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem, although I'd forgotten the extra costs of posting to Ireland especially in the case of eBay. That's probably a real headache!

Also 14 issues sounds great, there's some great stuff in there which'll keep you entertained. Not to mention once you start reading you'll want more, as was the case with me!

@ elab; 2 for an individual case file? That is a bloody bargain! I'm sorry to hear of your regret about selling your Meg collection; over the years you start getting an attachment to your collection, sometimes there're sentimental values attached to them too, esp. if you start collecting from an early age. So I can understand how hard it must feel. If I were to sell my collection which I've amassed painstakingly over the years and months, I'd probably roll up and die!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 5/10/2013 10:10:18 PM >

Post #: 1366
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2013 10:18:13 PM   
elab49

quote:

It's bloody frustrating when your local newsagents doesn't stock a comic/ mag you're after. I had difficulty obtaining the prog and meg at first but thank god, I discovered a newsagents not too far from where I live that stocked it. In your case perhaps you could request them to order it in for you, it's worth a try anyhow. If not then a sub would probably be next choice, or you can go digital if you're okay with that (I prefer my paper copy!).

Hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a problem, although I'd forgotten the extra costs of posting to Ireland especially in the case of eBay. That's probably a real headache!

Also 14 issues sounds great, there's some great stuff in there which'll keep you entertained. Not to mention once you start reading you'll want more, as was the case with me!

@ elab; 2 for an individual case file? That is a bloody bargain! I'm sorry to hear of your regret about selling your Meg collection; over the years you start getting an attachment to your collection, sometimes there're sentimental values attached to them too, esp. if you start collecting from an early age. So I can understand how hard it must feel. If I were to sell my collection which I've amassed painstakingly over the years and months, I'd probably roll up and die!

I've sold my comic collection twice - after the 2nd I didn't have the heart to start again until recently really. But it helped fund moves to the other end of the country so as an investment they certainly worked.

It was the first 4 or 5 case files a few months back but these bargains rarely seem to be one-offs.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 1367
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/10/2013 11:25:07 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

quote:

Then again if you spend a good few years writing and re-writing something it had better be good.

The problem I am finding with Millar at the moment is he writes with a view to selling a film which does not always make a good comic (as Warren Ellis once said in an interview) and his actual hit or miss rate is pretty high. Kick Ass may be popular but it is a pretty awful comic with a slight premise sold on violence over plot.

Yep,I would agree with that.Also,Is it shallow for me to have liked Kick-Ass mainly down to John Romita, Jr art direction

Concerning OLDMAN LOGAN,do you think Miller ,or someone else, might return back to that world?
Whether he writes it or not I think there's a great premise in there.
Hulk jr under Logan's guidance should make atleast one interesting story arc.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1368
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/10/2013 10:18:53 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Prog 1852;
A nice cover by I.N.J Culbard, love the colour work on it. Very nice!

Judge Dredd (New Tricks Part 3) was a great read. I'm really enjoying this Dredd story thanks to Mike Carroll's excellent script and Paul Davidson's outstanding artwork. I love Pax's thoughts that we see as text beside the panels, that's a great idea giving us the chance to delve into the thoughts of a Judge. The underground setting works a treat, It got me going all nostalgic for films like Escape from New York for some reason! No doubt the post apocalyptic, run down New York in the bowels of another city, a factor (now, if only an Ernest Borgnine lookalike were to turn up in the next issue, I would die happy!). We also got a glimpse of the elusive and near mythical Goblin King, albeit in shadow. That was a great moment, as was that revelation at the end about the terrifying weaponary at the Goblin King's disposal. Yikes!

Brass Sun (The Diamond Age Part 3) was also coming along nicely. Some taut action involving the bloke with the pony tail's escape from the Scythe. There was some truly awesome visuals on show from Culbard, not least Mr. Ponytail hanging on for dear life from the window ledge with some fine plantlife and building decor to admire too! Ian Edington's script is cracking along at a nice pace, there's thrills and intrigue aplenty, and I loved that dressing down from Mr. Ponytail to Froddo Baggins (sorry, I'm really crap with names!).

Flesh (Badlanders Part 3) was...okay. It hasn't really got my attention like the other strips. Not because of James McKay's artwork, as I really like it, probably more to do with an uninteresting story, a story which has yet to really grab me. But I find that happening with a lot of Pat Mills' stuff, I didn't particularly enjoy Savage (Rise like Lions) or A.B.C Warriors (Return to Earth) at first but really got into them as the stories progressed, so there's still time. McKay's artwork is really great this issue, especially the panel with the Dino-men morphing into... well, men.

That was a surprise! Or that four panel showing a giant frog catching food as the characters converse. There's a really Southern feel to the strip, evoking films set in the deep south such as Southern Comfort or Deliverance.

Aquila (Where All Roads Lead Part 2) was really superb this week. Patrick Goddard's artwork coupled with Gary Caldwell's colours was an absolute treat to behold. The opening few panels of blood spurting mayhem was excellent, as were those panels of the freaky woman in white fluttering like an apparition along the rooftops. Also the last panel of the wolf, which brought back memories of the history lessons I used to take as a young 'un at school. In particular the story of Romulus and Remus and the mother wolf who reared them. Gordon Rennie's script is really engaging with a lot of mythical references which I love.

Now Damnation Station (Darkness at the Break of Noon) was awesome! We should probably get more one-off's like this as I really enjoyed it. And what was even better was seeing one of my childhood idols, Sean Connery in the main role! Woohoo! Whoever thought that up deserves a medal from Tharg! As for the story, it was a really engaging one as we see a man of the cloth (Connery) trying to come to terms with past mistakes, mistakes which have cost lives. There was almost a sad, tragic feel to it, with the protagonist talking about the absence of stars in space. An empty space without stars is a frightful vision indeed, showing perhaps that the light, or rather God has left him. And his only solace is to embrace the empty blackness, as the burden he carries weighs too heavy. Again Mark Harrison's artwork is excellent here, I love the technique he uses, it feels like a melding of two different styles. Al Ewing's script for this particular story is superb, less on the funny and more on the mediative.

An excellent prog overall!

Post #: 1369
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/10/2013 5:25:28 PM   
sanchia

I wasn't expecting this to turn up until December. It is quite an impressive volume.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 8/10/2013 5:26:05 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1370
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/10/2013 7:37:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Sanchia, you lucky......person!! That looks absolutely fantastic!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1371
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/10/2013 8:00:57 PM   
Olaf

question for 2000AD readers: I feel like it's a massive gap in my reading (I've only read The Ballad of Halo Jones and some other assorted Moore bits + a few old Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog volumes) so I'm thinking about picking it up on a weekly basis once I can afford it (ie get a job). Is it the kind of thing where I can jump on at any given week or should I go and collect back issues first? And is it good enough at the moment to warrant buying weekly, or should I go ahead and buy a load of old issues instead? (I'm guessing the 80s and 90s are where it's at considering the quality of British comics writers at the time, but is there a similar batch of talent emerging at the moment?) Cheers for the advice and sorry for all the questions.

And for the purposes of answering the thread question instead of going totally off-topic, I'm currently reading through Jamie Delano's Hellblazer run (specifically The Fear Machine, which is still one of the strangest arcs in a very strange series).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 1372
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/10/2013 9:38:20 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

question for 2000AD readers: I feel like it's a massive gap in my reading (I've only read The Ballad of Halo Jones and some other assorted Moore bits + a few old Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog volumes) so I'm thinking about picking it up on a weekly basis once I can afford it (ie get a job). Is it the kind of thing where I can jump on at any given week or should I go and collect back issues first? And is it good enough at the moment to warrant buying weekly, or should I go ahead and buy a load of old issues instead? (I'm guessing the 80s and 90s are where it's at considering the quality of British comics writers at the time, but is there a similar batch of talent emerging at the moment?) Cheers for the advice and sorry for all the questions.

And for the purposes of answering the thread question instead of going totally off-topic, I'm currently reading through Jamie Delano's Hellblazer run (specifically The Fear Machine, which is still one of the strangest arcs in a very strange series).

Certainly the problem for me in trying to buy some 2000AD issues is where to jump in because of the nature of the comic you'll could get the first part of one series and the last part of three others.

Judging from the website Prog 1850 looks like a good place to jump in because all stories are part one: http://shop.2000adonline.com/products/2000_ad_prog_1850

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 1373
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/10/2013 9:57:45 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

There are these special 'jumping on progs' every 50 issues or so where new readers can jump on, the most recent was prog 1850 two issues ago (we're currently on 1852, or 1853 by tomorrow!). You can still jump on board, and maybe order the last few progs if you want to catch up. The prog has a summary for each story at the beginning so it shouldn't be too hard to understand what's going on. I would say a few progs in you'll get the gist of things. In terms of back issues, my advice would be to start reading the recent progs, and if you come across a story or running series you like, you can go back and try to purchase the back issues, but most of the time the stories are collected into trades so you can catch up that way. I did the same for series' such Zombo, Stickleback and Kingdom. It can make for some pretty thrilling reads, in the process you might discover something else by the author or artist that you might like. For me, finding 2000ad was like stumbling upon Aladdin's Cave of Wonders! I found so many marvellous strips, learnt of new creators, artists and so on, which I might not have known about otherwise.

And yes there are another batch of seriously talented writers and artists in the prog right now! Writers like Rob Williams, Mike Carroll, Al Ewing (all of whom were responsible for the recent Judge Dredd: Trifecta storyline; a superb read), and artists such as P.J Holden, Carl Critchlow, Henry Flint, Colin MacNeil (the latter of whom have been around for a while though), and more talents whose name escapes me right now. They are just as good as their predecessors from John Wagner, Alan Grant to Brian Bolland or Ron Smith in my view. Oh, and we still have the great John Wagner writing Dredd from time to time, and of course Pat Mills is also still around! How can I forget Pat Mills! his 'Flesh' series has just started so that's something to look forward to.

Edit: you should also check out the Judge Dredd Megazine if you have the time and money. I'm a massive fan of the Megazine, the Dredd stories are much longer in the Meg and self contained a lot of the time (as so the prog, but I've noticed there are more 2 part or 3 part stories nowadays). The Meg also has creator owned stuff, such as the outstanding 'Ordinary' which just started this month, as well as the comic sequel to the Dredd movie. Those are absolute must reads!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 8/10/2013 10:12:27 PM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 1374
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/10/2013 11:45:20 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

I would say just jump in. If you're used to reading monthly US comics or trades you'll probably feel that first issue is a little slight but once you read it week by week you'll start getting more and more into it. My first issue was Prog 846 and I don't think any of the stories were first parts. You should be able to pick it up fairly quickly even if you're jumping in half-way, to be honest. There's a decent recap page at the start of the comic that gives you the basic premise and "Previously In..." information. There are jumping-on progs that they do every 25 issues or so but honestly, I would encourage you to just dive right in.

As for back issues, I'd stay away from a lot of the 90s stuff. It's mostly terrible. In fact, I - and many other long-time readers - would say that the last five years have been a second Golden Age for 2000AD.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 1375
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/10/2013 11:08:40 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

How can I forget Pat Mills! his 'Flesh' series has just started so that's something to look forward to.

Would this be the same Flesh that ran wayyy back at the start of 2000AD? Dino harvesting cowboys, rogue tyrannosaurs called Old One Eye, etc? If so, I could be sorely tempted to purchase - this was one of my favourite strips back in the day!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 1376
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/10/2013 2:11:36 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

How can I forget Pat Mills! his 'Flesh' series has just started so that's something to look forward to.

Would this be the same Flesh that ran wayyy back at the start of 2000AD? Dino harvesting cowboys, rogue tyrannosaurs called Old One Eye, etc? If so, I could be sorely tempted to purchase - this was one of my favourite strips back in the day!

Yes Sharky, it is indeed the same Flesh!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1377
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/10/2013 7:37:07 PM   
directorscut

No big epics in this collection but a lot of great little stories about how crazy MC-1 is. Love stories like when Dredd sends a perp to a lifetime of hard larbor out of mercy or when he chases a litterbug across the city making his rap-sheet huge in the process.

Also, Judge Death. Anderson . At least Judge Death will never again terrorize MC-1.

Also I just realized that John Howard = John Wagner. I kept wondering why I hadn't heard of this John Howard guy before and thought he deserved much more recognition as he seemed to have written the vast majority of these early Dredds.

Post #: 1378
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/10/2013 10:00:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Also, Judge Death. Anderson . At least Judge Death will never again terrorize MC-1.

I wouldn't count on that just yet! The tale of the Dark Judges is just beginning....

Case Files 4 which is up next and I highly recommend, is a real blast. It also happens to include the Judge Child Quest which I absolutely love. Dredd goes to space and all manner of mindboggling adventures ensue! Also Brian Bolland's Jigsaw Disease episode is magnificent.

Post #: 1379
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/10/2013 10:41:26 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Also I just realized that John Howard = John Wagner. I kept wondering why I hadn't heard of this John Howard guy before and thought he deserved much more recognition as he seemed to have written the vast majority of these early Dredds.

Yup, Wagner and Alan Grant used a lot of pseudonyms in those early days. TB Grpver is the most popular one (which was the nickname they used when they worked together).

Post #: 1380
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI