Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/6/2013 11:11:51 AM   
Chojin

I'm now on V3, #4

The Darkness has followed the below pattern so far:

V1 - Initial arc is awesome. Writer jumps ship. Title becomes shit.
V2 - Initial arc is awesome. Writer jumps ship. Title becomes shit.
V3 - Initial arc is awesome........

However after looking ahead online it looks like the current writer (Phil Hester) stays onboard for a 35 issue run so this might be just what The Darkness needs, some consistent writing. Much like when Marz took over on Witchblade this is hopefully the turning point for the series

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1261
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/6/2013 5:20:21 PM   
directorscut

Fast paced fun. Though I did enjoy the first two books which were pulpy sci-fi adventure rather than the last which became typical war stuff (although the time dynamics of The Crush was genius).

The art is almost too detailed. I'm not sure if its the reprint that is maybe smaller than the original format but I found lots of panels difficult to grasp as the details were tiny.

Better than Watchmen.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1262
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/6/2013 8:41:54 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I'm not going to disagree with you on that one mate, Halo Jones is indeed awesome.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1263
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/6/2013 11:04:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished Saga Vol. 2. Wow. Just.......

WOW!!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 29/6/2013 11:05:29 PM >

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1264
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/6/2013 7:21:32 AM   
Chojin

Very good first 6 issues of the new volume. Lots of exposition which really helped to set the mood and the new direction the writer is taking Jackie in. It also contained some unintentionally (I think) funny lines:

I may be paraphrasing here with the first one

"I just got fucked, and when I get fucked - I fuck back"

"Shut up Fuck-Face and fight me!" - When in the middle of a heated battle.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1265
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/7/2013 4:48:40 PM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

WOW!!

My copy is on its way

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 1266
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/7/2013 6:41:36 PM   
Chojin

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 1267
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/7/2013 12:44:39 PM   
indysgill

Stumptown V1 & V2

Following the cases of Dex (Dexedrine) Parios, a female private investigator with a gambling problem.

Loved everything about it. Just hoping the next case starts soon!

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1268
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/7/2013 6:17:04 AM   
Chojin

The plot has picked up again with Jackie putting together a rag-tag bunch of criminals to take on The Sovereign. The only aspect the title is suffering with is artist consistency. There seems to be a new artist every single issue at the moment and it's mostly a miss rather than a hit.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1269
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/7/2013 5:44:33 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Stumptown V1 & V2

Following the cases of Dex (Dexedrine) Parios, a female private investigator with a gambling problem.

Loved everything about it. Just hoping the next case starts soon!

I have only ever read the second case but it is a very well written piece and the artwork goes well.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1270
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/7/2013 8:08:37 AM   
matthewforan

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1271
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/7/2013 7:13:10 AM   
Chojin

The art has got a lot better the past two issues and the plot is rolling along at a steady pace. Really liking the current direction its heading in :)

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1272
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/7/2013 8:17:25 AM   
sanchia

It is not as bad as I remember it being and the artwork, whilst not at the level Gene Ha achieved, is decent enough. The little superhero injokes which Ha put in the originals are here also (although less of them and far far less subtle). The story itself works ok although it is the characterisation and the attempts to tie the characters back to the original Top 10 books comes across as rather clumsy at times. It is an ok book rather than a great one but worth the read if you can get it cheaply enough.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1273
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/7/2013 9:08:53 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Thanks for that Sanchia, now i'm off to ebay to see if i can nab a copy on the cheap!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1274
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/7/2013 5:27:26 PM   
Chojin

Only one more issue until i'm done with Compendium #2

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1275
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/7/2013 3:37:08 PM   
benmharper

Working my way through some of the marvel graphic novel collection. This week I've read

Avengers Forever parts 1 and 2
Avengers Disassembled (I got a little choked up at the end of it)

Now onto New Avengers-Breakout

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1276
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/7/2013 7:08:40 AM   
Chojin

Finished FF Authoritative Action yesterday. Another generous volume with 9 issues which read quite quickly - even though the FF aren't really my cup of tea this did have some genuinely touching moments.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 1277
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/7/2013 10:44:16 AM   
sharkboy

I've been re-reading Bendis and Oeming's Powers series - currently up to this one:

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1278
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/7/2013 7:26:00 AM   
Chojin

Really finding this a chore to read.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1279
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/7/2013 10:00:19 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah Secret Wars is a bit shit. Probably the worst title in the Graphic Novel Collection IMO. I don't mind most of the 80's stuff in the collection but Secret Wars feels like the hastily put together story to sell toys that it is.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1280
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/7/2013 6:26:34 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

AMPHIGOREY By Edward Gorey

Whether this should be placed in the comic-shack is another question but this is ,frankly, a highly amusing yet disturbingly dark,and at times,erotic illustrative book.

The alphabetical rhymes of a class of children who succumb to death is a form of dark comedy that is very close to the bone.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 24/7/2013 6:35:09 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1281
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/7/2013 8:03:41 AM   
Chojin

To be honest it does pick up a bit in the final issues with Doom taking out the Beyonder and the mindless exchanges of blows are left behind (for a while anyway). I think just about all of the earlier issues of the collection have now been released though, so from now it's relatively current stuff

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1282
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/7/2013 8:32:55 PM   
impqueen

Yes, always.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1283
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/7/2013 8:50:59 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Judge Dredd Day of Chaos: Endgame Review

The first collection of the Day of Chaos arc was one of my favourite comics of last year, so you can understand my excitement when I finally managed to get my hands on this book, and it was just as awesome a read as The Fourth Faction.

This time round the Chaos Bug has been released and the Justice Department are having a field day trying to control the outbreak and remain in control. But as Judge Dredd tries to search for the perpetrators of this heinous act, other elements enter the fray, adding more complications to the chaos.

John Wagner with his talented array of artists such as Henry Flint, Leigh Gallagher and Ben Willsher has created an epic which is quite possibly the biggest event in 2000AD's history since The Apocalypse War. It is utterly enthralling and thrilling a read, full of twists and turns. Just when you think things cannot get any worse, Wagner trumps it and introduces elements into the story even more spectacular. It is quite a dense read and in order to appreciate the story fully, you cannot rush it. You must take your time as I did, to let it all sink in.

The collection is split into six acts, or arcs which connect with one another in the wider scheme of things. First up is "The Assassinaton List". The artist on duty here is one of my favourite, Leigh Gallagher who is famous for his breath-taking work on 2000AD's zombie epic "Defoe". We start off with Elmore Yurges and his family, who've been kidnapped by Borisenko to extract the details of the Chaos Bug. Yurges of course is the scientist who engineered the Chaos Bug and he is key to the story. Back at Mega City 1 the psychic Cadet Hennessy continues to have premonitions about the impending disaster, and her twin sister Gabrielle tries to assist the Judges, but will it be too late to avert what will surely come to pass? This was a great opener, full of heart-pounding moments, and the realisation of the horrors which are yet to come. Things are made doubly hard by undercover East Meg agents intent on silencing key figures...Dredd included. The artwork is great by Gallagher, I had become accustomed to his black and white artwork reading Defoe in 2000AD right now, so it was a pleasure seeing some of his coloured work which is equally great.

Next up was "Eve of Destruction", this is where things start really getting serious. This act makes up much of the meat of the story with not one, but three artists on duty namely Henry Flint, Ben Willsher and Colin MacNeil. We start off with undercover East Meg agents being given the Chaos Bug phial's to take into Mega City 1, before using it on themselves to spread the disease amongst the public triggering widespread devestation. Key among them is Titiana, who is Borisenko's aide. We also glimpse what the Chaos Bug is capable of causing in its victims, from the flu like symptons to memory loss, bleeding and rage. Dredd is also hard at work trying to uncover the Chaos Bug conspiracy and find Borisenko. Add to that other terrorist factions such as "Total War" and "Rage against the Meg" causing havoc, and an East Meg agent stirring up the anti-Judge media with falsified evidence and you have a city in widespread panic and anarchy. Oh and to top it all off, the Dark Judges have also been released to add sparkle to proceedings! It was simply an enthralling read - full of twists, turns and havoc upon havoc. And the artwork on show by all three mentioned artists is simply awe-inspiring. From Henry Flint's stunning style, with so much detail and character, some of his images have seered themselves onto my brain. I would spoil the story if I mention which panels but it needs to be seen to be believed. Ben Willsher with his scratchy, visceral style, and Colin MacNeil whose work is just a joy to behold. His appearance in the book is short, maybe 24 pages in total, but boy are they memorable. His depiction of the Dark Judges is just an absolute treat to witness.

"Tea For Two" follows straight after. It's very brief at just 6 pages, but very enjoyable. We have Dredd going through the devestation wreaked streets to the block where his niece Vienna lives. He persuades her to move into a more safer block, as they share tea and biscuits but Vienna is reluctant to go. I really enjoyed this brief little gem, Wagner's script showed how the Chaos Day had affected Dredd, his thoughts on the city akin to the fall of civilization was really insightful. The artwork by Edmund Bagwell is simply magnificent, whether it be the look of the streets, the block squalor or the characters themselves. It looks like something the late Moebius would conjure up.

Next up was " Wot I did during the worst dissaster in Mega-City history". Here we drop in on my favourite seriel killer, P.J Maybe to see what, well what the title basically says! We last saw him in the first book, getting up to all manner of mischief and worming his way to a elderly rich lady's heart. Well he seems to be holding up pretty well at home during the chaos outside, with plenty of food and whatnot. But his peace is rudely interrupted when the Dark Judges come a-calling! I must say this was a really welcome inclusion! Not only was it funny, but Henry Flint's artwork again was superb, especially the way he rendered the apparitional Dark Judges. Although brief again like the preceding story, it was great fun.

"Chaos Day" and "The Days After" were the last stories in this fantastic collection. In the first, the Academy of Law is attacked by terrorist groups. And we see other shocking acts of killing and chaos. Henry Flint's artwork is just magnificent, capturing the anarchy and devestation in beautiful detail. Especially eye catching is the shot of the city at dawn, with train wreckage strewn and refugees walking in line almost silently like lost souls. Or two children holding one another, but suddenly we see they are infected and Dredd has to shoot them. Not to mention the image of Dredd himself, head lowered, his face obscured in shadow. A broken man.

This whole collection was an absolutely rivetting read, there were moments which hammered home the severity of this disaster and the implications it will have on Mega City 1, not to mention Judge Dredd himself. He sums it up clearly at the end when he says he has let the people down "Protect the citizens. The one thing above all we're supposed to guarantee....and we couldn't get that right". It is obvious he feels guilt on his part for the disaster. The Mega City he knew is gone, he will have to move on but one thing is for sure, it won't be that easy.

And so ends the stunning conclusion to one of the biggest episodes in the history of Mega City 1 since The Apocalypse War. I really enjoyed this collection, there is so much depth in Wagner's storytelling and scope via the talented group of artists on show. Special mention must also go to the awesome cover by Henry Flint (originally released on the cover of Prog 1781). It is just as eye catching and superb as Greg Staples' cover for the first book. It's a great package again from Rebellion who are one of the best when it comes to publishing top quality trades.

Overall, magnificent stuff!

5/5

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1284
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/7/2013 9:26:05 PM   
sanchia

Dark Horse - Blood Brothers Issue 1

There is a lot of potential here. I quite enjoyed it considering I bought it on a whim.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1285
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/7/2013 5:38:59 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Great series and that's probably the best of it so far. Me I've been reading this

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 31/7/2013 5:40:33 PM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1286
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/7/2013 8:07:19 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

quote:

WOW!!

My copy is on its way

I second Wookie's WOW!! - Vol 3 needs to be released NAO!!!!!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 1287
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/8/2013 2:01:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

quote:

WOW!!

My copy is on its way

I second Wookie's WOW!! - Vol 3 needs to be released NAO!!!!!

You'll have a 7 month wait for that. Vol 2 has caught up with the monthly series. The pattern seems to be that they release 6 monthly issues followed by a 2 month gap in which the TPB is released. Presumably this is to give Fiona Staples some breathing space seeing as she pencils, inks and colours the book.

Anyway, I just read this month's Animal Man annual. Holy shit, I hadn't really cared much about Cliff's fate (the ginger mullett kinda made it feel like he deserved it ) but the annual left me with a lump in my throat. Excellent writing by Lemire and as much as I like Steve Pugh's work on Animal Man I still got excited to see Travel Foreman on art duties. His work is just perfect for Lemire's take on the character.

Also I'm really beginning to think Charles Soule is the man. He instantly found his feet on Swamp Thing and his Red Lanterns this month was fantastic. I was going to drop the title but I decided to give the new writer a chance and if he keeps this up there's every chance Red Lanterns will become the book to buy in the Lantern series. That said I do think the main Green Lantern title is in fantastic hands with Venditti. His X-O Manowar has been brilliant from the start so I'm really enthused at the prospect of two really good Lantern titles.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 1288
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/8/2013 5:18:14 PM   
sanchia

What a fun graphic novel if a tad slight.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 1/8/2013 10:30:51 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1289
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 2/8/2013 4:12:12 PM   
matthewforan

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI