Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/12/2011 10:35:34 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading BATMAN: THE BAT AND THE BEAST and I have to admit, it made for a very enjoyable read! It was very interesting seeing Batman out of Gotham and doing his crime fighting in another country, namely Russia, Moscow to be precise. I loved the almost movie like quality to the comic, no doubt the art by Andy Clarke a big factor as to why, and the Beast of the title, although a little too close to Marvel's Beast for comfort, still a nice creation, sympathetic and......hairy!! Ha ha! So all in all, a very enjoyable read.

BATMAN: THE BAT AND THE BEAST **** 4/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/12/2011 10:39:01 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 91
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/12/2011 2:33:28 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just started reading BATMAN: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS by Ed Brubaker; i'm a few pages in and already liking what i'm reading! Brubaker is one of my favourite writers, his LAWLESS series is awesome. Oh yeah, just something which I thought was quite cool; on page 32 it shows the Joker breaking into an asylum, starts shooting everyone and everything, in the words of a guard '' he didnt even look at them. Like killing them wasnt even important'', this line/ panel reminds me of The Dark Knight, when in the begining, Ledger's insane Joker does a bank heist. Toward the end we see him shoot his fellow bank robber 'without even looking at him, like killing him wasn't important'- a very nice similarity methinks! I know Nolan did a lot of research for the Joker by reading a lot of comics, and maybe he picked that quirk for the Joker from this very comic!!

Anyhow, it seems like a very good read. Very gritty and not for the faint hearted!!

Post #: 92
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/12/2011 3:46:21 PM   
petecriss8000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Just started reading BATMAN: THE BAT AND THE BEAST by Peter Milligan/Andy Clarke. First time reading a comic by said author (or maybe I have read his stuff before, just didnt know his name!).

The artwork by Andy Clarke looks very sleek. First chapter in already and looks like a good read. Watch this space to see how the story panned out!!

I think you mentioned you read Hellblazer: India a while back Nex, that was written by Peter Milligan.

Post #: 93
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 7/12/2011 6:41:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Just started reading BATMAN: THE BAT AND THE BEAST by Peter Milligan/Andy Clarke. First time reading a comic by said author (or maybe I have read his stuff before, just didnt know his name!).

The artwork by Andy Clarke looks very sleek. First chapter in already and looks like a good read. Watch this space to see how the story panned out!!

I think you mentioned you read Hellblazer: India a while back Nex, that was written by Peter Milligan.

WOW!!! Awesome! Thanks for that mate!! I really enjoyed reading INDIA! What i've started doing recently is making notes of the writers and artists of every comic i've read or am reading, that way you appreciate the work by all those talented individuals more, afterall, when it comes to films I do the same thing, look for the directors name, the composer, writer etc.

I think I did mention that INDIA was written by Peter Milligan, but i've a really bad memory!!

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 94
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/12/2011 2:16:09 AM   
indysgill

Read upto issue 7, not too bad, but seems like every panel is a tit or ass shot!
Will give it another issue or two then either ditch it for Gotham Central or Powers.
Not sure which, suggestions would be helpful.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 95
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/12/2011 5:56:22 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading BATMAN: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, it was a very enjoyable read, excellent story and excellent artwork. I also loved the 2nd story 'Made of Wood', which is worthy of a book on its own, because the story is so good.

So its an excellent double bill, the first about the early psychotic attacks on Gotham by The Joker, reading it you could see that the recent Batman films drew inspiration from this comic: ''poisoned waterworks' as in Batman Begins, and theres a whole panel and lines from the comic which is was lifted for Batman Begins. The 2nd story was equally excellent, a murder mystery spanning generations from the time of The Green Lantern to Batman, and the story is a team up of both superheroes. Anyone who hasn't read this comic, I urge them to pick it up ASAP. You will not be disappointed!

BATMAN: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS ***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 10:45:37 AM >

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 96
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/12/2011 4:03:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Started reading SANDMAN: DREAM COUNTRY.

Ever since reading the first book - Preludes and Nocturnes- i've become a big fan of the Sandman universe. Therefore, having spotted DREAM COUNTRY at my local library I had to borrow it no matter what! The first chapter 'Calliope' had me gripped like a head in a vice ! The art, the story, the freakin' IMAGINATION put into just the opening chapter alone was un-fuc*ing believeable!! I even loved the foreword to the book, wherin Neil Gaiman is described as a 'troll' dwelling beneath the bridge which seperates us from this world and the dream world! And I agree, Gaiman is a wizard, a magician when it comes to writing, his imagination knows no bounds!! Seriously, anyone who hasnt read any of the Sandman books, you are seriously missing out on one of the most enjoyable, innovative, mind boggling, awe inspiring comic book series, ever!!!

Having said that, three more chapters to go. Afterwhich i'll tell you what I thought overall!!

Cheers!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 8/12/2011 7:36:32 PM >

Post #: 97
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/12/2011 12:27:44 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading SANDMAN: DREAM COUNTRY, and i have to say it was an awesome read! As i stated i borrowed this book from my local library, but i've yet to read Vol 2: The Doll House, and. I think i'll be ordering it online. I already own the first volume, Prelude and Nocturrnes and its not an understatement when i say Sandman changed my perceptions, it showed me what was possible in the comics medium, a writer can reveal his inner thoughts, take you to places so surreal, jaw dropping, amazing, beautiful and scary at the same time.

And i for one simply cannot get enough of this awesome series!

My favourite story has to be Calliope, followed by A dream of a thousand cats. And then a Midsummers nights dream, actually the order the stories come in the comic! All four stories are freakin- astonishing!

THE SANDMAN: DREAM COUNTRY ***** 5/5

Post #: 98
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/12/2011 1:34:25 PM   
Nexus Wookie

DAMN!!! WHERE THE HECK HAS EVERY ONE GONE? FEELS AWFUL LONELY UP HERE IN THE SHACK ALL BY MYSELF?!!

Having said that, i'm reading TWO comiic books simultaneously! The books in question are WOLVERINE by Claremont and Miller, i'm just about done; into the last chapter. The other book i'm reading is HELLBOY VOL 2: WAKE THE DEVIL which i purchased recently. I'm into the 2nd chapter and i have to admit, its an awesome read! I'm loving the artwork by Mignola; truly extraordinary!

I'll get back to you guys when i'm finished.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/12/2011 1:35:26 PM >

Post #: 99
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/12/2011 1:55:34 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Got so far behind i've decided to do the whole of the last Flash series upto Flashpoint then read that & catch up on the new 52 comics i've got.

Post #: 100
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/12/2011 2:30:49 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Read upto issue 7, not too bad, but seems like every panel is a tit or ass shot!
Will give it another issue or two then either ditch it for Gotham Central or Powers.
Not sure which, suggestions would be helpful.

You make this sound like a bad thing

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 101
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/12/2011 8:21:03 PM   
petecriss8000

Indysgill, I've read both of those series and I'm fairly in Gotham Central's favour. Powers has the advantage of being an ongoing so there's a lot more to read but it wears thin as it goes on whereas Gotham Central just gets better and better throughout it's relatively short run.

I'm currently working my way through Chris Claremont's run on X-Men (between the two Omnibus collections) and recently found a series of 'pocket books' containing a decent amount of issues apiece for 2 each which is hard to sniff at, especially considering I like to have a physical copy of everything I read. After those run out it's back to the laptop up til issue 240 or so then bring on the hardbacks!

His stories are great fun to read and I really like how his X-Men interact with each other. Simply put, they really feel like friends. I read 'God Loves, Man Kills' last night upon which the second X-movie was largely based and enjoyed it a lot considering it's a barely concealed study of racial tension.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 102
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/12/2011 9:22:25 PM   
benmharper

After all the Dark Knight Rises stuff ive seen in the last few days I've hunted out the 3 Knightfall books to read again.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 103
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/12/2011 4:52:18 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading WOLVERINE by Chris Claremont, despite the name of Frank Miller on the cover, he's strictly on artistic duties. Which is funny, because i swear Claremont's writing is awful close (esp in the opening few chapters) to that of Miller!! Nevertheless, it is a very enjoyable read! I wish the movie could have gone this direction, you know; Wolverine in JAPAN not being a bum in the U.S.A!!

Overall, it is colourful, fun, kick ass comic book! And i cannot for the life of me understand what Wolverine see's in the (rather bland) Mariko, the woman he's in 'love' with!! because he is perfect together with Yukio AKA the Wild One. ( i have to admit, i have a crush on her!! Ha ha!) they're both wild at heart.

WOLVERINE ***** 4/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 10:47:58 AM >

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 104
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/12/2011 5:52:27 PM   
Chojin

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 105
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/12/2011 2:07:51 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished reading HELLBOY VOL 2: WAKE THE DEVIL, which I have to admit - was a very enjoyable read! As always, the artwork by Mignola is freakin' awesome! This time he is also on writing duties, and I think it makes for a more overall satisfying story than the first. And some of the creatures depicted in this magnificent comic is just insane! A Gorgon?! Vampires? Talking heads?!! Witch? Chicken feet house?!! You have to read it to believe it! Lets just put it this way; HELLBOY truly is a unique comic book!

5/5 *****

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 10:50:50 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 106
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/12/2011 5:40:15 PM   
Chojin

I have to say I really enjoyed this issue and it reminded me why i'm slogging through some of the shite in the X-men's history. It had all of the current x-teams under xaviers roof (or basement at the moment) deciding what direction the teams should go and who should lead them with Cable wanting to take over for absolute war!

The new x men designs with the updated costumes and psylocke in particular are gorgeous to look at and i'm loving the new direction the series is headed in, it's a great change for the better imo and I can't wait to see where the series goes next. The artwork is brilliant!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 107
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/12/2011 9:46:59 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Okay, this may sound almost criminal, esp coming from a self-confessed comic book geek, that I have yet to (properly) get started on Alan Moores V for Vendetta.......until now. I picked it up last night after it had been gathering dust in my cupboard ( I bought it a while ago), and let me just say - I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FREAKIN' PUT IT DOWN!! Yes, so immersed am I to this story, that I've known nothing else in the last 24 hours than become consumed with V fever! I'm already half way through reading it (which is quite a feat for me juggling fatherly duties with reading time!) but boy am I enjoying this absolute masterclass in comic book storytelling by the absolute master of comic books! ALAN BLOODY MOORE! Seriously, is this guy something or is this guy something?

After finishing FROM HELL I said to myself i've read the greatest graphic novel. But with V for Vendetta Moore just gets better. The guys a fucking genius!

The art by David Lloyd is truly astonishing, it fits perfectly with the mood of the writing. I think Alan Moore has had the best writer/artist collaborations over the years with some truly amazing artists. (Frank Miller would be my next choice).

So, thats it from me for now. I'm just picking up the book for another read...

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 10:54:08 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 108
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/12/2011 12:45:24 PM   
garvielloken

Holy shit Nexus you must read a ton of comics

Just finished The Dark Knight Returns. It's the second time I've read it and I gotta admit I like the story but Frank Millers art work is kinda crappy. Too rough and sketchy for me. I think his art works a lot better on something like Sin City when its all in solid blacks and whites.

Next up Hellboy Conqueror Worm. I'm thinking of buying Superman Red Son next. Anybody read it and any thoughts?

< Message edited by garvielloken -- 15/12/2011 12:46:36 PM >

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 109
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/12/2011 1:09:37 PM   
jcthefirst

Red Son is fantastic.

I defy you not to smile at the conclusion.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 110
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/12/2011 4:29:01 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've just finished reading the following

and

Next up are

and

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 111
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/12/2011 4:49:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Holy shit Nexus you must read a ton of comics

Just finished The Dark Knight Returns. It's the second time I've read it and I gotta admit I like the story but Frank Millers art work is kinda crappy. Too rough and sketchy for me. I think his art works a lot better on something like Sin City when its all in solid blacks and whites.

Next up Hellboy Conqueror Worm. I'm thinking of buying Superman Red Son next. Anybody read it and any thoughts?

Ha ha! I wouldnt say a ton of comics but i'm trying my best!

As for RED SON, I've ordered it online a few days ago, so should be here tomorrow or the followindg day (try the Book Depository- i bought mine for only 7. 21 !!l) I've read so many good things about it I just had to buy it! And i think you should too!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 10:56:24 AM >

Post #: 112
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 2:02:21 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Oh, one more thing mate, I've noticed you're reading Hellboy right? Well if you've finished reading a few of the Hellboy comics, why not try B.P.R.D? If you've read 'em, then bravo, if you haven't then boy are you in for a treat! I bought volume 1 of B.P.R.D (hardback) a while ago, and trust me mate it is a thing of beauty! Hellboy himself does not appear other than in flashback, but Abe Sapien, Liz and a few others including Johann Kraus make up for his absence, big time!

Mignola is a fucking legend!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 10:59:03 AM >

Post #: 113
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 9:38:26 AM   
garvielloken

Yeah Conqueror Worm was a random pick up. Love the Hellboy films so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm almost ashamed to say it was sitting on my shelf for about 3 years before I started reading it yesterday. Loving it so far and Mignolas artwork truly is a thing of beauty. I'm gonna try and find some more Hellboy on the cheap and I'll keep an eye out for some B.P.R.D. too. Thanks for the recomendations man, keep 'em coming.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 114
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 4:13:35 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I've got 1/4 of V for Vendetta still to read, its been a hoot so far (its sad when you come close to finishing an excellent graphic novel - i almost wept with sadness when i finished reading FROM HELL!! I didnt want it to end!). People who've read it know what a complex, detailed graphic novel Vendetta is, so just to take a break (a very small one!), i've just started reading COWBOYS & ALIENS, a very sleek looking graphic novel, the film of the same name starring Daniel Craig is based on this comic book.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Post #: 115
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 5:42:05 PM   
Chojin

...just win. say no more.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 116
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 8:08:27 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

...just win. say no more.

THIS COMIC IS 100% SNAKE-EYES APPROVED

Man... I remember buying this when it first came out! Life was Beautiful back then...

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 117
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 8:09:43 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

I LOVED this era of WOLVERINE comics! Silvestri's art was BOSS!!!!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 118
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 11:52:39 PM   
Chojin

It's definitely a high point in the x-universe. Finally getting out of the 'believed to be dead/reborn' era with too many plot points going on at once. Finally someone is shaking things up at Marvel Also love the designs, it gives the team such a fresh vibe.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 119
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/12/2011 11:56:41 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Finished reading COWBOYS & ALIENS and i must say that it was quite an enjoyable read! A total contrast to what i am reading at the moment as well; V for Vendetta!! Yes there are quite a few faults, namely the length (its too short) and the writing (even Asterix is more complex!), but hey, what do you expect when you have a bunch of Cowboys fighting a bunch of Aliens?!!

A fun graphic novel from start to finish.

*** 3/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/9/2012 11:01:16 AM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI