Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/3/2013 10:00:11 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I finished the first volume of Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing the other day and promptly ordered volumes 2 and 3. I can see why it's so well regarded, the inventiveness is fantastic, the writing is top notch and the art is brilliant (I imagine the page layouts would have been as innovative and striking in the 80's as Yannick Paquette's is now). It's interesting to note as well that the end of Snyder's run pretty much brought the Swamp Thing back to the status quo of Moore's character.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1141
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/3/2013 8:05:15 PM   
Chojin

First appearance/arc for The Magdalena. The title seems to be cursed by poor humor and vast amounts of pointless double page spreads (often with horizontal orientation). Started off very very strong but soon lost its way - come on, get good again!

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1142
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/3/2013 11:27:38 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Farewell Jack Dancer....'twas a pleasure knowing you.

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/farewell-jack-dancer-twas-a-pleasure/

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1143
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/3/2013 6:59:38 AM   
Chojin

Still struggling, but an issue read every now and then isn't too bad.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1144
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/3/2013 5:24:02 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I've just finished Marvel Zombies V.1 which was absolutely hilarious! Seeing our 'hero's' squabbling over fresh meat was so funny, not to mention the constant bitching and whining!

I'm also getting started on I Kill Giants.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1145
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/3/2013 7:44:31 AM   
Chojin

I finished this yesterday at work. It's one my favorite volumes from the original series depicting the battle between the resurrected Berserker Zapan and Alita. The combat is just so fluid and easy to follow and Alita literally gets torn in two but still manages to fight with only one arm remaining. Some beautiful art and I just love the fight in this volume.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1146
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/3/2013 4:04:15 PM   
impqueen

Yes, always.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1147
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/3/2013 6:26:22 PM   
sanchia

From back in the days when Alex Ross really was good.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1148
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/3/2013 6:30:53 PM   
impqueen

Yeah the writing / art work in Kingdom Come remains some of my favourite.

< Message edited by impqueen -- 21/3/2013 6:31:24 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1149
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/3/2013 1:44:58 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Absolutely brilliant. Both hilarious and heartbreaking in equal measure.

"Your exact words to me were 'please shoot it in my twat" is probably the funniest thing I've ever read in a comic .

I've got a ridiculous backlog to get through at the moment. Looking forward to reading this month's Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Wolverine & the X-Men, All New X-Men, New Avengers, Daredevil and Indestructible Hulk. Tempted to pick up Constantine seeing as Lemire is on writing duties but it's not likely, I need to shorten my pull list not extend it. I've also got 2 volumes of Saga of the Swamp Thing to get through plus the last 2 issues from the Marvel Graphic Novel Collection as well as Sweet Tooth volume 4 and Batman No Man's Land volume 4 on the way in the post.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 22/3/2013 1:51:11 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 1150
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/3/2013 7:58:02 PM   
Nexus Wookie

That looks fantastic, Harry. I can't wait for the 2nd volume to come out, so i can read it in one go!

Post #: 1151
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/3/2013 2:23:22 PM   
Chojin

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1152
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/3/2013 9:54:34 AM   
matthewforan

Read a few recently

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 24/3/2013 9:56:47 AM >

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1153
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 25/3/2013 7:17:02 PM   
Chojin

....This title is turning into more of a T&A series than Witchblade!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1154
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/3/2013 7:57:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

A little T&A doesn't hurt things, i"d say!

I've finished The Red Seas by Ian Edginton & Steve Yeowell which was one of the most enjoyable comics that i have had the pleasure of reading. It's a combination of Sinbad, Ray Harryhausen, Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's a damn shame that the later volumes weren't printed by the House of Tharg, due to poor sales on the first volume.

I'm currently reading Terror Tales: Necronauts/ Love like Blood; the first story by Gordon Rennie and illustrated by Frazer Irving, was really enjoyable. How can it not when your main characters are H.P Lovecraft, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini and Charles Fort? During one of his escape acts, Houdini goes close to the spiritual plains and he encounters a dark evil , and its human agents on earth are intent on taking Houdini back to the black abyss, but his friend have to act quickly act in a thrilling race against to save him. Irving's art suited the story very well, bringing the feeling of dread and horor alive on the pages. A really superb read thus far.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 27/3/2013 9:17:00 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1155
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/3/2013 10:06:09 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I also forgot to add that i finished reading Sloth (by Gilbert Hernandez of Love & Rockets fame). It was one of the most weirdest comics i've had the pleasure of encountering. Sort of like David Lynch's Lost Highway.

http://annaclover.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/gilbert-hernandezs-sloth-a-comic-review/

Other comics i have lined up; Halo Jones and Total Recall v.1.

Post #: 1156
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/3/2013 10:18:45 AM   
matthewforan

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 1157
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/3/2013 12:15:36 PM   
sharkboy

I absolutely loved Alias.  Jessica Jones was such an interesting character during the whole Max arc, and while still enjoyable, the non-Max Pulse title that followed just wasn't the same.  I think that one of the reasons that I enjoyed Alias was that it worked so well without the need to throw in a big-name cameo (OK, we had some big-hitters, but only in small cameo appearances or in their non-costumed roles).  Issue 1 of The Pulse throws Spidey straight onto the cover and suddenly it became one of those minor supporting titles and quickly got lost in hero limbo.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 1158
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/3/2013 8:40:44 PM   
Chojin

Quite enjoyed this. Finch's art is gritty and fits the tone very well - a nice follow up to disassembled. My only critique would be that it still plays it a little safe by having Iron Man and Captain America being involved. If a truly 'New' team was desired then the old guard needed to be disbanded entirely. Let a complete newbie to leadership like Spider-Man or even Luke Cage take control, I think it would be a bit more interesting rather than Avengers 1.5

Other than that it was very enoyable and had some great banter between the heroes.

.....how hot is Spider-Woman?!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1159
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/3/2013 11:30:18 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I absolutely loved Alias.  Jessica Jones was such an interesting character during the whole Max arc, and while still enjoyable, the non-Max Pulse title that followed just wasn't the same.  I think that one of the reasons that I enjoyed Alias was that it worked so well without the need to throw in a big-name cameo (OK, we had some big-hitters, but only in small cameo appearances or in their non-costumed roles).  Issue 1 of The Pulse throws Spidey straight onto the cover and suddenly it became one of those minor supporting titles and quickly got lost in hero limbo.

I read the full omnibus it was pretty fantastic, a really cool range of different stories. Would make a cool TV show...

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1160
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/4/2013 1:04:20 PM   
sanchia

I have given it five issues (two more than I should have) and I think that is enough. This is just a terrible, terrible comic. The story is dire, the artwork from the usually dependable Romita Jr. is awful and messy with a style which seems rushed and undisciplined. I would go so far to say this is one of the worst comics I have read in recent times (and I have read some poor comics in the past).

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1161
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 1/4/2013 3:02:36 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Re-read.
I enjoyed the first HUSH volume to a degree but unfortunately this one just reads all over the place.
Jim Lees art is nice,clean and very "showy" but the writing and dialogue leaves alot to be desired.
The other issue I had was the fact that literally to many characters are thrown into the concept and why does the joker need to feature in every Batman comic?.
2.5/5

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1162
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/4/2013 4:57:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My review for this weeks Prog. This weeks line-up is notable because Empire's very own Kim Newman makes a cameo in Stickleback! Would love to hear his thoughts for appearing in the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 1163
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/4/2013 10:54:10 AM   
sharkboy

Having devoured (if you pardon the poor pun) the last half-dozen or so issues of Chew in one sitting, I've been playing catch-up with a few more titles.

Fables: the last issue I read was probably around the Great Fables Crossover thread, so there has been a lot of catching-up to get to #127!  It's been as good as I remembered, and I loved the whole Mr Dark storyline which you just know will have even more serious repercussions down the line.  The one thing the title has been good at is developing the lesser characters into major players - first with Fly's ascension to the all-powerful King of Haven, and now Bufkin the heroic insurrectionist flying monkey   One question to fellow fans- is it worth getting up to speed with Fairest, the Fables spin-off title?

Crossed: I enjoyed the original Ennis tale, and have been catching up with the various spin-offs.  But quite honestly, I've just been sickened by them.  Ennis' original was as visceral, shocking and graphic as you'd come to expect from the writer of Preacher.  But, like Preacher, it was also well written, funny and surprisingly moving at times.  The subesquent titles have forgotten all about the latter, and seem just to be concerned with the shock-value.  It's become the Frankie Boyle of comic titles.  I'll be avoiding all future issues.

The Unwritten:  As a big fan of Carey/Gross' last collaboration on Lucifer, I can't believe that this title has passed me by!  I'm frantically trying to make amends, and have reached the 2nd volume so far.  What a great book!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 1164
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/4/2013 11:31:32 AM   
sanchia

I quite enjoy Fairest. It doesn't necessarily expand that greatly on the core title but is entertaining (moreso than the rather poor Jack spin off which I cannot remember the name of at this time).

I have to say that Crossed is indeed an awful title and gets worse and worse as it progresses.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 5/4/2013 11:32:55 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1165
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/4/2013 11:51:09 AM   
sharkboy

That would be Jack of Fables which was indeed a hell of a disappointment.  Pity, because it had some great plot ideas; it just couldn't really deliver on them.

WWLD?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1166
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/4/2013 12:35:32 PM   
sanchia

That's the one.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1167
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/4/2013 1:45:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow. Lost for words....

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/2000ad-letter-of-the-week/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1168
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/4/2013 2:21:48 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Nice one .

I just finished reading the last issue of this

I've never really been much of a fan of Godzilla but I've absolutely loved this. The breathtaking artwork by James Stokoe goes some way towards this because it honestly is the best artwork I've ever seen in a comic. The level of detail is just mesmerising, seriously you could be looking at a single panel for 15-20 minutes and still not take all the detail in. Honestly, take a look at this.

It's so far ahead of anything I've seen by anyone else it just seems unfair. Of cours the downside of this is that a 5 issue run has taken 9 months to ship but, honestly, when it looks this good you just can't complain.

The trade is out next month. I seriously can't recommend this enough.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 5/4/2013 2:26:56 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1169
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/4/2013 3:33:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Cheers Harry!

I must say those panels look freaking awesome! Who's the artist on the comic? I've heard a lot of good things about the title and your post has definitely stoked my curiosity further! I'll probably pick this up in collected format.

EDIT; Balls. You already mentioned the artists name! Fabulous stuff.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 5/4/2013 3:35:16 PM >

Post #: 1170
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI