Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/2/2013 4:51:58 PM   
matthewforan

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1081
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 8/2/2013 6:34:22 PM   
Chojin

recurring theme

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1082
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/2/2013 12:40:55 PM   
matthewforan

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1083
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/2/2013 10:17:11 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

That is an awesome comic! I was never a big fan of Spidey (Batman was more catered to my taste at the time) but this was one Spiderman title which got my full attention....and it was an amazing read. Its pretty dark in places, and the artwork is outstanding. In fact i'm just aching for a re-read!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 1084
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/2/2013 7:40:28 AM   
Chojin

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1085
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/2/2013 9:10:22 PM   
matthewforan

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1086
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/2/2013 7:43:42 AM   
Chojin

The arts starting to grow on me a bit, and this issue did have an awesome moment where Sara grows wings for the first time.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1087
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/2/2013 7:45:53 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

I've been reading through the whole Fables series over the last while. The last nine trades over two weeks

This latest one was one of my favourites. It's a very good series - though not nearly as close to the quality of Sandman as the pull quotes would like you to believe - and Willingham and co. should be given credit for managing to maintain such consistency for over a decade now. As I said, Cubs in Toyland was probably one of my favourite arcs yet so it seems like the series might actually improve as it goes along.

As for me...

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 13/2/2013 9:25:46 PM >

Post #: 1088
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/2/2013 10:10:57 AM   
sharkboy

Not a post about comics per se, but if there are any Spidey fans out there, you should check out the latest range of t-shirts on Threadless: http://beta.threadless.com/collections/spiderman?j=17883723&e=gerry_mck@hotmail.com&l=6061_HTML&u=231207398&mid=88299&jb=198&utm_medium=ExactTarget&utm_source=2013-02-12Spider-Man&utm_campaign=All%20Subscribers

Some pretty stunning designs there, and as its Threadless, you can be sure you're getting a decent quality product.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1089
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/2/2013 2:55:46 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Hey furry, that photo doesn't upload on my phone - maybe due to size

I'm really intrigued to find out what it is!

EDIT: cheers mate! Those Library Editions look really great. I would've invested in them myself but they're a bit too pricey.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 13/2/2013 10:32:09 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1090
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/2/2013 6:01:39 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

I've been reading through the whole Fables series over the last while. The last nine trades over two weeks

This latest one was one of my favourites. It's a very good series - though not nearly as close to the quality of Sandman as the pull quotes would like you to believe - and Willingham and co. should be given credit for managing to maintain such consistency for over a decade now. As I said, Cubs in Toyland was probably one of my favourite arcs yet so it seems like the series might actually improve as it goes along.

I love Fables, I was a bit hesitant about it at first but now I look forward to it each year. The latest one was excellent, it can really get dark when it wants too...

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1091
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/2/2013 6:30:10 PM   
sanchia

I was reading Ironwood by Bill Willingham the other day. That was an eye opener.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 1092
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/2/2013 9:13:15 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I was reading Ironwood by Bill Willingham the other day. That was an eye opener.

You naughty devil you!

Actually, *ahem* i must have a read myself....

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1093
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/2/2013 10:02:21 AM   
Nexus Wookie

As for myself i'm 2/3 of the way through reading...

I'll forward my detailed report on it after i finish, but the only word that i can conjur up right now is....WOW!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 14/2/2013 10:03:26 AM >

Post #: 1094
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/2/2013 4:29:41 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Programme 1819

Awesome prog! All the thrills this week were outstanding...

Cover by Jamie Harren & Chris Blythe was very impressive. I loved the contrast between the white background and the image, rendered with such aplomb and eye catching visual style. I loved it!

As for the interior, Judge Dredd was excellent. James Harren's artwork was outstanding. I know not everyone was too fond of his depiction of Dredd, especially his jawline and mouth (too Hellboyish), but i really liked it. The thing is every artist has their own and sometimes unique interpretation of Dredd, like top art-droids Doherty, Macneil or Flint (to name but a few), and each brings something fresh through their work. For example, i love Macneils renderring of Dredd with the big 'Bruce Forsyth" chin! And i feel Harren's depiction is also very unique in that regard, and interesting too. Aside from Dredd I also loved the whole look of the strip. The world that Dredd gets trapped in was very nightmarish and apocalyptic, yet intriguing and fascinating. The monster we see in this nightmare was very beautifully drawn, and felt like something out of the pages of B.P.R.D. I really enjoyed it! I'd love to see more from James Harren.

Savage was an absolute joy to read. And to think here was a strip which started off the least intetesting for me....nevertheless, the last few prog's this has been really enjoyable. The Hammersteins directive malfunction was quite funny (as was their fate!), but Pat Mills manages to get a message on class division/favouritism in, which was interesting. And the whole issue with that Volgan sniper; will Bill nail his scumbag ass? I hope so! Patrick Goddard continues to impress with his black and white artwork, which is drokking superb in my opinion. Some of the best stuff i've seen.

Ampney Crucis was another strong read. I'm not too familiar with the world of Sticleback sadly, so couldn't pick up on the reference everyone else has. Hopefully that should change after i read the collected trade of said title, which is sitting on my desk right now (thanks to my local library).

Now Red Seas, this has been one of my favourite strips from the start and this prog we had some fascinating incidents taking place, not least of which was Jack trying to reason with the devil! But the devil...well, he'll always be the sneaky bastard he is! Jack's speech about meeting 'Norse Gods and little green men' has finally persuaded me to seek out the Red Seas trade (i take there has only been the one?). I must get my hands on a copy...

Strontium Dog was a big improvement from the last couple of progs. Really enjoyable stuff. And Carlos Ezquerra's artwork has not lost even one iota of its beauty - it just continues to amaze this particular Earthlet.

So a very strong and enjoyable prog overall. I look forward to next week with great anticipation and fervour.

5/5

Post #: 1095
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/2/2013 7:56:16 AM   
Chojin

Mike Choi guest art last issue was brilliant. Only two issues until he takes on full art duties!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1096
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/2/2013 8:41:08 AM   
matthewforan

Read this yesterday so so good.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1097
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/2/2013 2:31:00 PM   
indysgill

Read this 4 issue set yesterday, mental as anything.

Basically, this Super Villian in white has been picking a random police office in and around Asia and sending them a card with the date and time they will die, he then makes good on the details of that card, The story starts after his latest victory and he decides to try his luck with a officer in Washington D.C.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 1098
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/2/2013 6:18:57 PM   
sanchia

Millar in his twisted vein again al la Wanted. That is one awful tagline on the comic though.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1099
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/2/2013 3:35:22 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Day of Chaos: Fourth Faction

I've been waiting to read this epic storyline for sometime now, having jumped on board to 2000ad after the arc finished. When it was announced that we would get the first of what would be a trilogy of trades about the Day of Chaos storyline, i ordered my copy without delay and waited with bated breath for it to be released. And after receiving it (two days before the expected release date) and reading the book from cover to cover, i can proudly say that it was an absolute joy.

I will start with the cover; Greg Staples does a magnificent job in potraying Old-Stoney face. The artwork is beautiful to behold, with the details and use of colours. It looks like a painted masterpiece, something a Michaelangelo or DaVinci would produce if they were comissioned by 2000ad to draw Judge Dredd cover! High praise you might say- but praise rightly awarded in my view.

The presentation of the trade is superb; the paper quality is of the high standard which we have come to expect from Rebellion - they have done a stellar job in producing it. There's a nice introduction by Keith Richardson and the actions of Dredd in the Apocalypse War and the implications it has on the future. I loved the corresponding panels from the Apocalypse War, just bringing back memories of what a joy it was to read and of course Carlos Ezquerra's outstanding contribution to it.

And then we get started on the more meatier or "muncier" parts of the book (but trust me- there's nothing artificial about the story as we shall see!).

The first thing that grabbed me was the artwork by Ben Willsher. I'll be honest, it took me a while before i could get used to his style. It felt a little 'unrefined' for my tastes as opposed to maybe Colin MacNeil or Henry Flint's work (which we will come to). But maybe 20 pages in i started to get accustomed to It. In fact upon finishing the first chapter (the bulk of the artwork in this trade is by Willsher) i really enjoyed it. There were some really funny homages to (what was then) the upcoming Dredd movie, with references to Karl Urban and Ma-Ma. Not to mention nods to other comic works like Watchmen (who watches the watchmen? Ma-Ma apparently!).

As for the story, the opener was 'The Skinning Room'. It concerned a Resyk employee called Mr. Skinner who goes about skinning victims, and turns their skin into fashion accessories, shirts, jackets, ties and so on. The way he lures the poor souls is by advertising for a room vacancy in his appartment and then he goes about his ghastly business. At the same time Judge Dredd and the Coucil of Five are cracking down hard on crime in the Mega City. Criminals are getting shot by special sniper squads for even petty things like wallet snatching. Its clear that everything is out of control...chaos reigns supreme. We come back to Mr. Skinner (there's a really nice artistic and storytelling touch when we see him go about his business from the view point of a soon to be victim). But amidst the city in turmoil, and block to block inspection, the murderer makes a key mistake when a nosy Judge comes-a-calling...

The second story in the collection was 'Hot Night in 95' which was originally serialised in The Megazine. Written again by Wagner and illustrated by Staz Johnson, it was a fun read. A number of things are happening; a food eating contest where two very fat gentlemen proceed to gorge themselves into oblivion, a vigilante group that goes on a shooting spree and a stoning epidemic. It all comes to a head on a 'hot night' and results in a well known Judge getting shot...

It was a nice read. We still haven't got to the main Day of Chaos arc (which begins halfway through the trade). But i feel what these stories demonstrate, is the sheer explosion of the city into total widespread chaos and anarchy...even before the 'real' chaos has even begun.

Next up was 'The Further Dasterdly Deeds of PJ Maybe'. On art duties was one of my favourite artists, Colin MacNeil. We see Maybe taken into custody after being caught for immitating the dead Mayor Ambrose. Dredd would rather see him dead, but his colleagues decide otherwise "don't come crying to me when this blows up in your faces" cries Dredd. Of course we all know he is right and this decision would likely come back to bite them on their asses. But then we wouldn't be so entertained by the 'dasterdly deeds of P.J Maybe' would we? I have to say i always enjoy the hilarious exploits of my favourite serial killer - and this story is up there with the best in my opinion. Nobody draws Maybe more brilliantly and with so much character than Colin MacNeil. This was a fun read, and the only downside was that it was over all too quickly.

The next story 'Nadia' is where the Day of Chaos officially begins. Nadia is a East Meg assassin who makes her way into Mega City 1, undercover as a cosmetics person for 'Ugly-Con'. But pretty soon her intentions become clear, as does her sheer ruthlessness when she dispatches a member of her own East Meg sleeper cell with clinical and emotionless precision. Her goal? To kidnap a scientist who has engineered the Chaos Bug, and have him re-create it to so both she and her seniors from the Fourth Faction can unleash widespread chaos and devestation to MC1. And pretty soon she sets her target on Dredd...

This was a thrilling read full of twists and turns, and genuine gasp out loud moments. And Ben Willsher brings it all alive with his vibrant artwork.

The next story, 'Fourth Faction' is when we finally come upon the work of Henry Flint (who alongside Peter Doherty and David Roach - is my favourite arist working for 2000ad right now, or any comic for that matter). my word....the detail in each of his panels, the line work, small character nuances and of course the environments and vistas - is just breathtaking to behold.

It is in this story that we meet the Fourth Faction commander; Yevgeny Borisenko, who still bears the scars of The Apocalypse War and the nuking of East Meg 1. Now he is the man directly in charge of the Chaos War operation. Like the preceding story, this also made for a fascinating read albeit more on the planning side than action. But it was intriguing to see the man, and the thinking behind the man who will bring Mega City 1 to its knees...

Last but not least was 'Elusive', again drawn by Henry Flint. Here we catch up with the dasterdly P.J Maybe. The Judges are out in force looking for him, but what does Maybe do? He decides to get himself a job at a face change clinic, conning the gullible manager into thinking he is an undercover Judge! I mean,what is he like?! It was a very enjoyable read indeed. In fact when we see Maybe trying to slither his way into a wealthy elderly lady's company (and the conniving plan he concuts in going about it) i just had to put the book down....so i could restrain myself from bursting out with laughter! (it didn't work!) You can see why he is a firm fan favourite!

Reading this collection was an absolute joy. It was like a treasure trove of intriguing and exciting storytelling from Mr. Wagner and the superb artists in line showing off their talented wares. Even though the book came at a meaty 160 pages, upon finishing i wanted more - which is a sign of how strong Mr. Wagner's storytelling is, and its not surprising really because Day of Chaos is just getting started. It's like the calm before the storm so to speak. And i for one cannot wait for the next collected trade delving more deeper into one of the greatest epics in comic book history.

5/5

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1100
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/2/2013 5:44:21 PM   
Chojin

Such a huge contrast in quality. After just two issues of the Marz run I have high hopes.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1101
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/2/2013 6:20:00 PM   
Chojin

At Home:

Immense. Finally becoming the comic I knew it could be. Quite a rubbish bit of downtime during #26-79 but both the art and storytelling are vastly improving.

At Work:

TPB of the 'Versus' spin off. I was lent this today at work and I quite enjoyed it, it's disposable fun action with some great artwork. Having been out of the loop for quite some time with Marvel I did have a few questions such as why does colussus wear the juggernaut helmet? How did Magik return? Why has Angel got the metallic wings back? I swear he grew his old ones back in the 90's but retained his blue skin.

I really need to just follow one comic publisher, i'm so out of date with Marvel! Either that or stop re-reading old stuff and try new material

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1102
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/2/2013 7:41:12 AM   
Chojin

Sorry to update so often, I'm just reading a lot at the moment!

Work:

Brilliant stuff, truly poignant and thought provoking towards the end. I've always said the only time when cardboard cut out superheroes like Superman or Captain America are at their best is when they're at the end. I really enjoyed this issue of the GN collection - more like this please. Found myself almost tearing up it was that great, what a soppy sod.

I also found out last night that another partwork has been started 'earths mightiest heroes' focusing on classic stories for one character each issue. I was tempted at first but then I actually thought about what the issues contained. They seemed to contain bits and peieces from a characters history which have been taken from decades ago. Whilst reading the current collection i've dreaded any of the 'classic' stories as I much prefer the newer stories because i'm less familiar with the past decade or so of stories. Demon in a Bottle took me, no lie, about 2 weeks to complete and I found it to be a cheesy, dated mess. If I had read it 30 years ago I may have a sense of nostalgia attached to the book which would affect my opinion but Rhodey jive talking, a poorly handed alcohol plot that is so in your face its insulting made this a horrible read. Whereas I spent one hour reading The Chosen and it will stay with me for some time.

A guy I work with is also collecting them and he says he doesn't even bother with the old stuff and it gets chucked on the shelf right away. I'm a completionist so i'll put myself through it (captain Britain, fucking awful) but I don't think i'll be signing on for a whole 60 issues of 'classic' stories anytime soon.

Where is the DC Collection?! I'd love this and been asking for it since the Marvel Collection started

Home:

After the first Marz run of Issues 80-85 (absolutely epic stuff) come a couple of stand alone issues. I enjoyed the guest art from Bachalo even if it changed the style and tone a lot from the previous arc. Very much enjoying Witchblade too :) Some of these covers are awesome.

and just because....here's an image from #85 and the finale of the arc

< Message edited by Chojin -- 22/2/2013 7:45:33 AM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1103
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/2/2013 9:58:18 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Up until this week I was of the opinion that The Underwater Welder was the best Graphic Novel Iíd read over the last year, and why not, it is brilliant after all. That changed last night when I finished this. Not only is this the best thing Iíve read of Lemireís it is probably the best comic book Iíve read, full stop. It interweaves 3 tales set in a fictional version of Essex County, Ontario giving us a sometimes funny, sometimes poignant yet constantly breath-taking tapestry of rural life, desolation, isolation and loneliness.

The first book of three (thereís also some bonus material in this collected edition) centres on young Lester, a boy who lives with his uncle following the death of his mother. He lives for his comic books and strikes up an unlikely friendship with Jimmy, the slow witted ex professional hockey player and now Gas store owner.

The second book centres on the memories of old man Lou Lebouf recalling his life as a semi professional hockey player with his brother before they became estranged and then reconciled following a tragedy. As a standalone this book is the best of the lot IMO. Itís absolutely heart-breaking at times perfectly capturing the isolation of a man whoís lost everything.

The final, official book, follows the district nurse and this book brings the narrative of all three books together brilliantly adding weight to the previous two books while telling its own tale of isolation and loneliness. It gives us a great look at the history of the town as well, which also adds a nice bit of depth to the series.

There are also 2 bonus tales in this collection involving a boxing club and a boy with elephant ears that were cut out of the narrative. Theyíre both pretty slight but I would have liked to have seen where they fit into the trilogy originally.

On the whole this is just a fantastic collected edition and probably takes pride of place in my collection alongside my Sandman books. The artwork is just hauntingly beautiful. Anyone familiar with Lemireís work should know what to expect, stark black and white, sparse and shadowy and deliberately lacking detail yet it serves the narrative brilliantly. The way Lemire ties all the books together is just masterfully done and the art plays as much of a role as the writing. You could easily enjoy all three books by themselves but as a whole it just elevates it above most of the other stuff I've read (and enjoyed).

This is the benchmark any other book has to beat this year and itís a high one indeed. Alongside the magnificent Underwater Welder, the fantastic Animal Man and his stunning debut Lost Dogs this has just cemented Jeff Lemireís place as one of the best comic book writers working today. Iíve just recently started Sweet Tooth as well and Iíve no doubt itís going to be a hell of a ride.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 22/2/2013 11:28:21 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1104
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/2/2013 11:21:08 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Sorry to update so often, I'm just reading a lot at the moment!

Work:

Brilliant stuff, truly poignant and thought provoking towards the end. I've always said the only time when cardboard cut out superheroes like Superman or Captain America are at their best is when they're at the end. I really enjoyed this issue of the GN collection - more like this please. Found myself almost tearing up it was that great, what a soppy sod.

I also found out last night that another partwork has been started 'earths mightiest heroes' focusing on classic stories for one character each issue. I was tempted at first but then I actually thought about what the issues contained. They seemed to contain bits and peieces from a characters history which have been taken from decades ago. Whilst reading the current collection i've dreaded any of the 'classic' stories as I much prefer the newer stories because i'm less familiar with the past decade or so of stories. Demon in a Bottle took me, no lie, about 2 weeks to complete and I found it to be a cheesy, dated mess. If I had read it 30 years ago I may have a sense of nostalgia attached to the book which would affect my opinion but Rhodey jive talking, a poorly handed alcohol plot that is so in your face its insulting made this a horrible read. Whereas I spent one hour reading The Chosen and it will stay with me for some time.

A guy I work with is also collecting them and he says he doesn't even bother with the old stuff and it gets chucked on the shelf right away. I'm a completionist so i'll put myself through it (captain Britain, fucking awful) but I don't think i'll be signing on for a whole 60 issues of 'classic' stories anytime soon.

Where is the DC Collection?! I'd love this and been asking for it since the Marvel Collection started

Why should you be sorry Chojin? You can update your reading material as much as you want as far as i'm concerned...

Regarding The Chosen; you've persuaded me to seek this out! I'm not collecting the Marvel GN Collection anymore, too pricey and time consuming and i wasn't too pleased with some of the stuff i bought (The Dark Phoenix saga comes to mind - ass numbingly boring), but there were some gems such as Spiderman: Kraven's Last Hunt and Spiderman: Coming Home). But The Chosen sounds like one of the better ones.

As for Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle; i couldn't agree more. It bored me to oblivion...artwork aside, which was the only good point.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1105
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/2/2013 11:33:46 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Up until this week I was of the opinion that The Underwater Welder was the best Graphic Novel Iíd read over the last year, and why not, it is brilliant after all. That changed last night when I finished this. Not only is this the best thing Iíve read of Lemireís it is probably the best comic book Iíve read, full stop. It interweaves 3 tales set in a fictional version of Essex County, Ontario giving us a sometimes funny, sometimes poignant yet constantly breath-taking tapestry of rural life, desolation, isolation and loneliness.

The first book of three (thereís also some bonus material in this collected edition) centres on young Lester, a boy who lives with his uncle following the death of his mother. He lives for his comic books and strikes up an unlikely friendship with Jimmy, the slow witted ex professional hockey player and now Gas store worker.

The second book centres on the memories of old man Lou Lebouf recalling his life as a semi professional hockey player with his brother before they became estranged and then reconciled following a tragedy. As a standalone this book is the best of the lot IMO. Itís absolutely heart-breaking at times perfectly capturing the isolation of a man whoís lost everything.

The final, official book, follows the district nurse and this book brings the narrative of all three books together brilliantly adding weight to the previous two books while telling its own tale of isolation and loneliness. It gives us a great look at the history of the town as well, which also adds a nice bit of depth to the series.

There are also 2 bonus tales in this collection involving a boxing club and a boy with elephant ears that were cut out of the narrative. Theyíre both pretty slight but I would have liked to have seen where they fit into the trilogy originally.

On the whole this is just a fantastic collected edition and probably takes pride of place in my collection alongside my Sandman books. The artwork is just hauntingly beautiful. Anyone familiar with Lemireís work should know what to expect, stark black and white, sparse and shadowy and deliberately lacking detail yet it serves the narrative brilliantly. The way Lemire ties all the books together is just masterfully done and the art plays as much of a role as the writing. You could easily enjoy all three books by themselves but as a whole it just elevates it above most of the other stuff I've read (and enjoyed).

This is the benchmark any other book has to beat this year and itís a high one indeed. Alongside the magnificent Underwater Welder, the fantastic Animal Man and his stunning debut Lost Dogs this has just cemented Jeff Lemireís place as one of the best comic book writers working today. Iíve just recently started Sweet Tooth as well and Iíve no doubt itís going to be a hell of a ride.

Possibly better than The Underwater Welder? Now this i have to read! I love Lemire's superb storytelling technique and outstanding artwork, and other than Sweet Tooth Vol 1 and The Underwater Welder, there's a lot i haven't read by him. Hopefully i shall rectify that in the foreseeable future, starting with Essex County, then Sweet Tooth and then Animal Man and then....you get the picture!

Great review by the way!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1106
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/2/2013 11:45:26 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Possibly better than The Underwater Welder? Now this i have to read! I love Lemire's superb storytelling technique and outstanding artwork, and other than Sweet Tooth Vol 1 and The Underwater Welder, there's a lot i haven't read by him. Hopefully i shall rectify that in the foreseeable future, starting with Essex County, then Sweet Tooth and then Animal Man and then....you get the picture!

Great review by the way!

Thanks.

Given how much you enjoyed The Underwater Welder I reckon you'll love this. It tackles the same kind of recurring themes as Lemire's other independent work and if you're a fan of his style then the artwork is fantastic . There's a few pages towards the end that use the juxtaposition of the past and present fantastically and in the 2nd of the three books, Ghost Stories, there's a heartbreaking page where our protagonist recalls a memory that changed his life forever with himself taking the place of the moon. It's just great.

I think it was Sanchia that ordered this around the same time as I originally did. I'd be interested to see what he thought of it.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 1107
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/2/2013 11:31:47 AM   
Nexus Wookie

And it seems like a nice package too, Harry, coming at just over 500 pages. Just browsing through Amazon, and the reviews there too coupled with your thoughts have persuaded me to order a copy very soon. Cheers!

Post #: 1108
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/2/2013 12:30:05 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah it's quite a tome. I initially bauled at the price but you more than get your money's worth.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1109
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/2/2013 12:30:24 AM   
Nexus Wookie

The Dead Man

I made one of the greatest errors in my comic reading lifetime, and that was reading this terrific comic after i had read Necropolis before, so i pretty much knew about the big twist going into this book. And what a twist it is too. Not only one of the best in 2000ad's 30 plus year history, but in the comic book genre as a whole.

The story starts with two kids making a startling discovery. Yasser Povey and a friend come across a man whilst out hunting for food in the outbacks of the Cursed Earth. He is in a very bad state, his skin burnt to a crisp and death just one short breath away. But Yasser's mother and father and people from their community take the man back to their home to see if they can have a remote chance of saving him.

Yasser lives in his tatooine-ish hut with his 'mam' and 'pap', and his uber intelligent dog. From his thoughts we learn about his fears and his nightmates. The fear of hearing the screams "like a saw scraping on glass" at night. These nightmares start as soon as the Dead Man is brought to their home, but is there a link between the two? The man is christened the 'dead man' by Yasser because of the state he found him in, and whisperings start afoot that he is bad news for their community especially by one of the supposed Christian resident. But Yasser's mother who is deeply Christian herself, doesn't relent. Pretty soon the Dead Man is conscious, but he has no recollection of who he is and where he came from. He is 'interrogated' by the villagers but he sounds like someone who isn't from around here.

Thus begins a journey, with Yasser and his dog in tow, to get to the bottom of the Dead Man's true identity.

I must say that although a short read at 92 pages, it was still a very enjoyable and gripping story by Wagner. When this story was first serialised in 2000ad, Wagner hid his name and took the moniker of Keef Ripley, so the readers wouldn't get suspicious - and it worked. It was also very refreshing to see a black charactet in Yasser Povey, take centre stage.

The b&w artwork by John Ridgway is astoundingly beautiful. His work is reminiscent of Eddie Campbell's outstanding work on the seminal From Hell. His line drawing helps to convey a sense of time and place, you can almosy feel the desperation and bleak existence of the small communities in this harsh environment. Not to mention the feeling of dread and forboding when we enter the Grunt Wood, where evil lurks. Or the burnt desolation of the small township of Crowley.

Reading it it reminded me of Cormac McCarthy's The Road with the Dead Man, the boy and his dog on a journey through a bleak unforgiving landscape. Also John Hillcoat's The Proposition with its bleak de- saturated feel and shots of the Australian outback (which could easily double up as the Cursed Earth on film). The supernatural angle especially toward the end when we come face to face with two fearful apparitions, reminded me of acid westerns or supernatural westerns such as Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter, with a character much like the comic, coming back from the dead. In fact, the dead man looks like Clint Eastwood, both with his squinted look and his speech. The only thing missing is a chewed cigar and you'd have the genuine legend himself! I feel this demonstrates the strength of John Ridgway's art that it manages to evoke to me the reader, all these works of literature and film.

Toward the end we learn who the Dead Man is, but at a price. Its a really affecting moment in the comic because the revelation is so mindblowing but also at the same time, we are worried for the safety of our characters and one of them out of the three, has to pay a price. Having read Necropolis and especially Tour of Duty: The Backlash TPB i know how it turns out, but even as a stand alone story its a really impressive story, and one i thoroughly enjoyed reading.

5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 24/2/2013 9:14:44 AM >

Post #: 1110
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI