Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/11/2012 6:23:09 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished Judge Dredd Case File 04 and the word most suited to summing it all up is.....WOW!

The holy trinity of artists Bolland, McMahon and Smith and writer Wagner pull off what in my opinion is one of the greatest Judge Dredd epics with The Judge Child Quest; it is absolutely brilliant! Its Star Wars / Star Trek crossed with The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. My favourite moment was when we meet the Jigsaw Man and the alien salesman! And lets not forget my favourite Judge after the main trio - Judge Lopez and his magnificent 'tache

This is the case files where we're also introduced for the first time to The Angel Gang and Judge Hershey.

God, this case file just reeks of awesomeness! I was gutted to see it end. The rest of the case file while not as good as the JCQ, is still fun- the stand out for me being our intro to Chopper in 'Un-American Grafitti'.

Overall it was a superb read. Next stop; The Pit.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/11/2012 3:32:43 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 961
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/11/2012 6:37:20 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I just finished the first TPB of Mark Waid's run on Daredevil. Wow, I really enjoyed that. Whilst I've enjoyed a number of Daredevil stories over the years (obviously this includes most of Miller's run) I never really enjoyed the character enough to become a regular reader. It was trying too hard to be dark somehow, it's like Marvel really, really hated Matt Murdoch and wanted to make him suffer beyond the limits of human capacity. Waid's run brings some light heartedness into the proceedings and as such I found Murdoch a much easier character to warm to. Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin play their part as well, managing to infuse the book with vibrancy without being gaudy. Of the 2 artists I think I prefer Rivera ever so slightly, his 2 page spread of Foggy and Matt walking through Manhattan looks absolutely fantastic and it's a brilliant visual representation of Murdoch's heightened senses.

Colour me converted. I've just pre-ordered vol 2 and 3 and I can't wait to read them although I'm a bit annoyed that I erronously bought the paperback version of vol. 1 instead of the hardcover.That means I have to wait till after Xmas for Vol 2 to be released on paperback whereas Vol 3 is already out on hardcover. Balls .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 962
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/11/2012 6:58:19 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
Colour me converted. I've just pre-ordered vol 2 and 3 and I can't wait to read them although I'm a bit annoyed that I erronously bought the paperback version of vol. 1 instead of the hardcover.That means I have to wait till after Xmas for Vol 2 to be released on paperback whereas Vol 3 is already out on hardcover. Balls .

Marvel's trade program is awful.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 963
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/11/2012 8:59:22 PM   
benmharper

Totally agree about the current Daredevil run, I've been loving it.

Today I've read Batman 14 and Batgirl 14. Both brilliant, especially Batgirl.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 964
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/11/2012 11:04:58 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Reading the following at the moment;

Prog 1809; really enjoying the Prog and this weeks one carries on the thrills and spills.

The Pit; just started this.

''I'm a stickler...'' two pages in an i know i'm going to enjoy this!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 965
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/11/2012 5:32:45 PM   
indysgill

I loved The Pit, my prog collection is building up still have about 20 back issues to read. Day off work should cure that

Currently on

Lady Mechanika

Loving the artwork on this title, its another one from Aspen Comics who published Idolized that I was reading a while ago.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 966
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/11/2012 9:09:20 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! Thats really some awesome artwork right there Indysgill! The title character is erm, very hot!

As for me, i've nearly finished The Pit and its an awesome read. Quite unlike any of the other Dredd stuff i've read. Really loving the flawed yet deeply intriguing characters such as the hot as hell DeMarco and cool as cucumber Guthrie. Such an enjoyable bloody comic.

You really need to catch up with your Progs backlog as theres some seriously awesome stuff happening right now.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 967
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/11/2012 9:29:02 PM   
sanchia

A re-read.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 968
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2012 10:16:48 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

A re-read.

Damn this has fallen off my 'must read' radar as i've been preoccupied with other stuff. But i really must give it a read. I think it was furry who brought it to my attention first. Thanks for posting that Sanchia. I hope its an awesome read.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 969
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2012 11:18:17 AM   
sanchia

There are some great noir stories in there. I have just realised there is a fourth volume out (the first three are in the Blacksad collection above) which I really must get.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 970
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2012 11:34:29 AM   
talpacino

Yeah it's fantastic. The art really is some of the best I've seen.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 971
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2012 12:48:38 PM   
sanchia

I agree the artwork is sublime.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 972
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2012 12:58:59 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sanchia

I agree the artwork is sublime.

Dear lord of heaven and hell! That is fucking amazing!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 973
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2012 2:54:24 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Lots of speculation out there that the new Sandman: Year Zero (or whatever it's called) coming out is an order from top-down and Neil Gaiman was given the choice of doing it or, if he didn't, they'd break their old agreement and just do it anyway with other creators. The Sandman contract is much tighter than Moore and Gibbons Watchmen contract to the fair but, frankly, no individual could ever sue an entity like DC Entertainment without spending many years, a hell of a lot of energy and millions of dollars, throughout which they would never be allowed to discuss it and ultimately probably just end up settling and signing an NDA. There's also talk about the new Sandman being a bridge for introducing those characters into the DCU mainstream. Hearing some talk of that Guillermo Del Toro-helmed "mystical DC movie" would indicate the possible inclusion of Sandman and co.

Of course, Neil Gaiman may actually have no real problem with the idea. It's not like he's going to ever really go back to that world in a meaningful way so maybe letting others have a shot is fine by him.

Gaiman's doing his own prequel to the series isn't he, you started a thread about it HERE

Is the year Zero thing additional to that?

Sandman without Gaiman is a terrible idea as is introducing him into DCU mainstream. He's one of the Endless ffs, as old as time itself. I can't really see him associating with the likes of Justice League Dark on a regular/permanent basis.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 974
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/11/2012 7:52:52 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Lots of speculation out there that the new Sandman: Year Zero (or whatever it's called) coming out is an order from top-down and Neil Gaiman was given the choice of doing it or, if he didn't, they'd break their old agreement and just do it anyway with other creators. The Sandman contract is much tighter than Moore and Gibbons Watchmen contract to the fair but, frankly, no individual could ever sue an entity like DC Entertainment without spending many years, a hell of a lot of energy and millions of dollars, throughout which they would never be allowed to discuss it and ultimately probably just end up settling and signing an NDA. There's also talk about the new Sandman being a bridge for introducing those characters into the DCU mainstream. Hearing some talk of that Guillermo Del Toro-helmed "mystical DC movie" would indicate the possible inclusion of Sandman and co.

Of course, Neil Gaiman may actually have no real problem with the idea. It's not like he's going to ever really go back to that world in a meaningful way so maybe letting others have a shot is fine by him.

Gaiman's doing his own prequel to the series isn't he, you started a thread about it HERE

Is the year Zero thing additional to that?

Sandman without Gaiman is a terrible idea as is introducing him into DCU mainstream. He's one of the Endless ffs, as old as time itself. I can't really see him associating with the likes of Justice League Dark on a regular/permanent basis.

Yeah, Gaiman is writing it. I was saying there was speculation out there that DC would have done it anyway, had Gaiman said no to it. That they essentially came to him saying they were going to do more Sandman and it was up to him whether he gets to write it. And that this is going to leave the door open for Sandman being brought into the regular DCU. Of course, Gaiman had talked about doing one or two further stories over a decade ago so... maybe it's all those things!

Again, it's speculation (though, going by DC's history...) and even so, it may be that Gaiman has no real problem with doing this anyway. Sandman does exist within the DCU, tentatively, even though as the series progressed it became much less of a thing. Gaiman himself seems a bit less precious about the comic and by its very nature, Sandman will always be open to more stories being told.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 975
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2012 12:38:20 PM   
sanchia

It is one of those graphic novels which is half story and padded out with design sketches etc. Quite interesting to see the process but at the same time it is a bit of a push at 34 pages of it.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 976
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/11/2012 2:01:43 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

Sandman does exist within the DCU, tentatively, even though as the series progressed it became much less of a thing. Gaiman himself seems a bit less precious about the comic and by its very nature, Sandman will always be open to more stories being told.

The DCU kinda topped and tailed the Sandman story, with several of the Trenchcoat Brigade and JLA appearing in the first arc as Morpheus tried to find his possessions, and then again in the final arc.  Not surprising to see a few DC characters turn up in the early days really, since most of the first 4 years of publication were still under DC rather than Vertigo.  But apart from Lyta Hall and the House of Mystery people, there wasn't much in the way of a continuing link to the DCU throughout the bulk of the work.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Gaiman-free Sandman title.  Depends on who they get to write it, I suppose.  Mike Carey did a great job with his characters and a Gaimanesque grand approach to mythology and theology in his Lucifer title.  However The Dreaming monthly was very hit-and-miss and I'd hope for higher standards in such a prestigious title.

I read that Del Toro's DC movie was apparently going to feature Swampy. Etrigan and Constantine, with minor input from some of the other magical/mystical crew.  I really hope that whoever is in it, it doesn't feature a superhero-style Morpheus!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 977
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 25/11/2012 11:54:34 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I read this stunning little comic over at comiXology last night called 'Guerillas'. It was the first issue, i knew nothong about it prior to reading. It was a gripping read about a young grunts view of the Vietnam War. I love war comics and i felt i had discovered a gem. It was brutal, unflinching and then i got to the last panel and my eyes nearly exploded out of its sockets! I tell you what - i never saw that coming! Wow! Now i'm seriously thinking about investing in the trade (theres two volumes available by Image comics). I'd love to hear from fellow shackers who've read it and if it carries on the awesome storyline as the opening issue. Everything about that issue was stunning, not to mention the black and white artwork and the superb lettering.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 978
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 25/11/2012 10:09:38 PM   
sanchia

I have to admit to never having read that one.

I just dug up my Button Man graphic novels (the first three as I never bothered with the one when Arthur Ranson stopped drawing it). I really hope the film which back in July had Nicolas Winding Refn down to direct pans out. The whole thing is so cinematic (although Ranson's 70's clothing and hair and the tenancy to draw classic cars does tend to not tie in with the supposed 90's setting and mobile phones). It is also such a great story which would work so well as a film. The third in particular is almost one long action piece once it gets going.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 979
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/11/2012 7:43:54 AM   
Chojin

The conclusion of Maximum Clonage. In hindsight this event was a bit shit. Nothing really happened other than the Jackal falling off a building.

Spidercide was brushed under the carpet like a mistake, Peters change of heart lasted about two issues and the art in this final issue was some of the worst i've seen.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 980
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/11/2012 8:29:51 AM   
sanchia

That is what happens when sales figures dictate the story.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 981
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/11/2012 10:48:44 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

I have to admit to never having read that one.

I just dug up my Button Man graphic novels (the first three as I never bothered with the one when Arthur Ranson stopped drawing it). I really hope the film which back in July had Nicolas Winding Refn down to direct pans out. The whole thing is so cinematic (although Ranson's 70's clothing and hair and the tenancy to draw classic cars does tend to not tie in with the supposed 90's setting and mobile phones). It is also such a great story which would work so well as a film. The third in particular is almost one long action piece once it gets going.

You should Sanchia - its awesome! Plus the first issue is free...

Buttonman. I need to seek this out ASAP!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 982
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/11/2012 2:11:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

So. Fucking. Good.

David Aja's absence is sorely felt but stylistically Javier Pulido is a decent fill in. Fraction is fast making Hawkeye my favourite Marvel character (alongside DeConnick's Captain Marvel and Remender's Deadpool in UXF) such is the strength of his writing. Part 1 of this 2 parter runs along at a blistering pace and has a genuine I didn't see that coming moment towards the end setting up part 2 rather nicely.

I quite enjoyed Remender's new Captain America title as well but it won't be making it onto my pull list. There's too many titles with good art that I'd rather pick up and if it keeps getting good reviews I can always pick up the trade anyway.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 983
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/11/2012 9:37:05 PM   
Super Hans

On the first chapter of the 2nd volume, really enjoying it so far (if that doesn't sound too inappropriate for a book about the Holocaust...). It's a very accessible and engaging account of Vladek's experiences. I didn't expect it to be as much about the slightly difficult relationship between the father and son, it makes for a very compelling read!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 984
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/11/2012 10:08:20 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

On the first chapter of the 2nd volume, really enjoying it so far (if that doesn't sound too inappropriate for a book about the Holocaust...). It's a very accessible and engaging account of Vladek's experiences. I didn't expect it to be as much about the slightly difficult relationship between the father and son, it makes for a very compelling read!

Wow! I love Maus! I read the complete edition over a year ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. Its a really harrowing tale and the fact the characters are potrayed as animals does not detract the seriousness of the subject. Its also quite funny in places. This is definitely one of greatest graphic novels i've read.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 985
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/11/2012 11:24:31 PM   
Olaf

I got a first for my English degree because of my dissertation on Maus. THANK YOU BASED SPIEGELMAN.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 986
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/11/2012 1:21:08 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Wow! I love Maus! I read the complete edition over a year ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. Its a really harrowing tale and the fact the characters are potrayed as animals does not detract the seriousness of the subject. Its also quite funny in places. This is definitely one of greatest graphic novels i've read.

Couldn't agree more - I think if anything the artwork style and the use of animals seems to make it seem more stark and bleak (if that's possible!), especially now I've got to the part where they're in Auschwitz and more of the physical brutality starts happening.

I've had it on my shelf for almost a year and, having browsed it on occasion, I often wondered if the fact that the mice tend to look quite similar would make it hard to follow. It hasn't at all though, and from having read a little about it online, I think the slight anonymity that the use of animals presented was deliberate to an extent.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 987
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/11/2012 1:55:05 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Couldn't agree more - I think if anything the artwork style and the use of animals seems to make it seem more stark and bleak (if that's possible!), especially now I've got to the part where they're in Auschwitz and more of the physical brutality starts happening.

I've had it on my shelf for almost a year and, having browsed it on occasion, I often wondered if the fact that the mice tend to look quite similar would make it hard to follow. It hasn't at all though, and from having read a little about it online, I think the slight anonymity that the use of animals presented was deliberate to an extent.

I think it was a great choice on Spiegelman's part to use animals. You're right about the similar likeness of the mice, however like you i didn't have a problem at all. In fact i've read comics in the past where it was hard to differentiate between HUMANS! .

As for me, i'm reading BONE; everytime i pick up the book to read its like unwrapping a savoury sweet each time! Its an absolute joy.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 988
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/11/2012 9:38:11 PM   
Chojin

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 989
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/11/2012 3:57:07 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

A re-read.

I've just ordered this from The Book Depository a while ago; really looking forward to reading it.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI