Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 4/10/2012 2:24:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

JUDGE DREDD: AMERICA

WARNING: SPOILERS

I was absolutely blown away by this comic! It is without doubt - a masterpiece. It is a stunning piece of work which can easily sit alongside such comic books greats as Watchmen or The Dark Knight Returns. But the subject matter is more resonant than the mentioned two, it is something more vital, and is like a chilling prophecy on where the our world is heading towards, especially in this climate of Terrorism and citizens rights being slowly eroded.

The story centres around two friends, America Jara and Bennett Beeny. Childhood freinds growing up in Mega City 1. Beeny is bullied as a child by other other kids, but find's a kindred spirit in America Jara. Beeny fall's in love with America but feels she is out of his league. His fears are soon realised when she falls for someone else. However, Beeny can never get America out of his mind. He send's letters to her but they soon grow to lead totally different lives. Beeny becomes a successful comedian and singer, whilst America Jara joins a Terrorist organisation 'Total War' which is intent on taking out the fascist Judges. But even as they drift apart, Beeny still yearns for his childhood friend and love. A chance meeting years later has terrifying consequuences for Beeny, and it will ultimately lead to tragedy for both.

America is a love story foremost, and a critical look into the oppresive way of life for the citizen in Dredd's world. Dredd is not the protagonist of the piece, but rather an antagonist. We see him at certain times like in the begining showing his views on where he stands: '' The people, they know where I stand. They need rules to live by - I provide them. They break the rule, I break them, Thats the way it works'' these words follow to the iconic artwork of Dredd standing on the American flag. The statue of Liberty stand in the foreground, but that itself is overshadowed by the collusus statue of Judgment. A ''symbol' of liberty, sacrificed for the harsh laws of the Judges.

It is ironic because America Jara's father names her America for the fact that as an immigrant, he is proud to be accepted in the land of the free. But that is a false notion as he himself discovers. Freedom is long dead, and oppression reigns supreme. And no where is it more clearer than the opening panels.

Wagner has written a very grown up story, an affecting, tragic and critical look into this world, and the life of two of its citizens. This story is a far cry from the earlier Judge Dredd comics. There is a very little humour in this story. But what makes America such a brilliant read is thanks to the beautiful painted artwork by Colin MacNeil. It has an almost dreamy quality to it. It is an artistic achievement of such resounding beauty, once I started reading it I could not take my eyes of the panels. There are images in the comic which have now seared themselves into my mind, images such as the one i've mentioned of Dredd standing before the statues of Liberty and Judgement, his foot on the Amercian flag. And images of a child (Beeny) standing with his ice cream on the floor as the figure of Judge Dredd on his bike looms near him. It is a chilling look into a system gone awry, where citizens have very little say on politics and how their city is run. It reminded me of other great fictional works such as Alan Moore's V For Vendetta, and George Orwell's 1984, of a totalitarian state or police state which posseses all the power over what people can do or say.

This book has the two sequels to America. The first is called 'The Fading of the light'. Again Wagner and MacNeil are on writing and artistic duties respectively. It is not as powerful a story as the original, but nonetheless very enjoyable. We get to see Bennett Beeny with his daughter 'America Beeny'. He is very ill, his brain is rejecting the body of America Jara he has worn since her death (a full body transplant). It may seem a little weird at first, but we get to see the tortured man beneath and the reasons for his decision. The media see him as a pervert, a loony. But as we see in the story that is far from the case. We have a troubled man, still trying to come to terms with his guilt over America's death. We are introduced to a devious character called Victor Portnoy, who blackmails Beeny into carrying out a bomb attack on an award ceremony.

I found it a really intrigueing read. The artwork is not as stunning as the original story, but I still loved it. There's a really harrowing rape scene towards the end which made me nauseous. And the fact that a Judge is near the incident and fails to intervene makes you the reader as furious as the victim. Its a really moving story which I thought was a good sequel to the orginal.

The third story in the book called 'Cadet' shows Bennett Beeny and America Jara's daughter 'America Beeny' as a young adult working as a trainee Judge. The decision for Beeny to become a Judge was made by her dying father in the previous story as he felt that she would be most safest in the the Judges Academy of Law. Its not surprising it's the poorest of the three stories seeing as the orginal story and even its sequel was a hard act to follow, but even then it is much better than the dozen's of comic i've read over the years. And this was really the first time during my read that I laughed out loud! I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet but if you do read it or have done, you'll agree that bastard had it coming!

One character I haven't yet mentioned, but who is ever present in the background in all three stories, offering his assistance and unflinching loyalty was the character of Robert the (robot) butler of Bennett Beeny. He is such a likeable guy, like C3-P0 but with brains! I really loved the character and how he alway's stood by Beeny, and helped his daughter in her investigation too. I wish I had a robot butler like him!

All in all it was a really enjoyable read. I can now see why America is regarded as the greatest Judge Dredd graphic novel by many. It's a really beautiful, moving, tragic story made doubly brilliant by MacNeil's stunning artwork. Seriously, Judge Dredd: America has to be one of the greatest comic book story ever written.

''you can't ignore whats going on. You can't bury your head in the sand and forget what the Judges are doing to us. You've got to keep fighting. You've got to keep looking for America''.

JUDGE DREDD: AMERICA ***** 5/5

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/10/2012 9:53:48 AM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 901
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/10/2012 3:47:22 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I nipped down to my library earlier to see if I could find any good comics to borrow. I got Judge Dredd: Restricted Case File 04; and Case Files 15, as well as Kingdom. I saw Halo Jones, but I think i'll finish those first. On top of that, i've still got Judge Dredd: Origins and Jonah Hex to read from my purchases. I finished Case Files 05 last night and thought it was bloody brilliant! Oh, and still to read Prog 1803 which I bought today.

Post #: 902
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/10/2012 8:04:01 PM   
matthewforan

Currently going through Exiles, been pretty great so far onto book 3 at the moment....

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 903
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/10/2012 2:23:52 PM   
talpacino

I read Sweet Tooth volume 1. It was very good, I don't know why but I was kind of expecting something light but it really isn't light at all. Very dark and really quite great. Definitely recommended.

Also read Saga of the Swamp Thing volume 1. Really enjoyed this. I've read people complaining about the art but I thought it suited the old, old school horror feel to it. Some great writing too obviously.

I'm now going back to Fables for a bit.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 904
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/10/2012 2:42:56 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

I read Sweet Tooth volume 1. It was very good, I don't know why but I was kind of expecting something light but it really isn't light at all. Very dark and really quite great. Definitely recommended.

Also read Saga of the Swamp Thing volume 1. Really enjoyed this. I've read people complaining about the art but I thought it suited the old, old school horror feel to it. Some great writing too obviously.

I'm now going back to Fables for a bit.

I'm glad you enjoyed it mate. It is pretty grim at times, sort of like Bambi meets The Road and The Walking Dead! But I found It a really satisfying read.

I've just finished reading Dan Abnett's awesome Kingdom Book 1 and 2 (The Promised Land and Call of the Wild respectively). It was a really enjoyable read. Its a post apocalyptic tale about a human/dog hybrid called 'Gene the Hackman' (I'm not kidding!) who leads the fight against giant insects which have taken over the earth. The human's are in suspended cryo-sleep, waking up occasionally to see if things are back to normal or if their 'dog soldiers' are in line. I love the excellent artwork, and the characters we get to meet along the way, such as 'Gary the Oldman'!

I really enjoyed the first two book, and look forward to the next instalment to be released.

'Get Whet'!

I've also been reading Judge Dredd Case Files 15, and Judge Dredd Restricted Files 04: both are really enjoyable. There's been moments i've been laughing out loud because some of the stories are so hilarious! I really recommend all the mentioned comics.

EDIT: (very minor spoilers) Forgot to mention I also finished Judge Dredd: Origins and thought it was bloomin' fantastic! Carlos Ezquerra's artwork is an absolute joy to behold, and the story is really engaging and fun, dealing with Dredd's root's, and the secrets of Fargo's 'death'. There was no short supply of humour too, and when Snap Crackle and Pop showed up the house erupted with the sound of my laughter!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 10/10/2012 2:51:10 PM >

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 905
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/10/2012 3:08:18 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I read book 1 of Essex County last night which I thought was great. Lemire is brilliant at crafting stories that suit his unusual (yet striking) art style and I can't wait to get stuck into the rest of the book. I read and enjoyed Lost Dogs as well despite it being one of the most depressing books I've read in quite a while. Lemire's art is rough as hell in it but there's a couple of beautiful splash pages and its nice to see the development ground for the art style that was so brilliant in The Underwater Welder.

Over the weekend I also got round to reading the new issues of Animal Man and Swamp Thing. I'm a bit bummed out that they both seem to have been taken along different paths, pretty much independent of each other in what seems to be a pretty disconnected crossover. Still, I really enjoyed both issues regardless, the stakes are pretty high for both characters so I'm looking forward to seeing where "Rotworld" takes us. I am a bit worried that it can't really be resolved without a massive cop out taking place though but I have faith in Snyder and Lemire not to let me down.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 906
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/10/2012 1:55:33 PM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Now reading;
SANDMAN Vol 1: PRELUDES & NOCTURNES

I read Sandman vol 1 when i was about 17, and i have thought about ever since. The illustrations suited the text really well, and i absolutely loved that it was macaber but still with a meaning in it. I dont know why but i never read any further, but i've decided to buy the next volume :)

However, i've just finshed Mushishi Vol 2. i really like it, but sometimes it's pretty much the same thing going on again and again. But i like the drawings, and I like that it's about ancient Japanese stories of spirits (Mushis)

I just started reading Bleach vol 1. Yeah i know, but actually it's okay.. It's when you don't know what else to read..

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

Post #: 907
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/10/2012 8:13:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

Now reading;

I read Sandman vol 1 when i was about 17, and i have thought about ever since. The illustrations suited the text really well, and i absolutely loved that it was macaber but still with a meaning in it. I dont know why but i never read any further, but i've decided to buy the next volume :)

However, i've just finshed Mushishi Vol 2. i really like it, but sometimes it's pretty much the same thing going on again and again. But i like the drawings, and I like that it's about ancient Japanese stories of spirits (Mushis)

I just started reading Bleach vol 1. Yeah i know, but actually it's okay.. It's when you don't know what else to read..

Sandman is quite unlike anything I've ever read before - it is a superb series and the stories get better with each volume. Sandman volume 1 is really great, but its Gaiman just finding his feet. In my opinion, the next volume and especially the third; Dream Country is where he starts to excel. When I got to volume 4: Seasons of Mist I was absolutely blown away by it! I just sat there thinking to myself if I will ever read anything as brilliant as that! And I did - the next 6 volumes!

Its great that you've started to get back into it!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/10/2012 8:17:09 PM >

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 908
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/10/2012 11:42:45 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

JUDGE DREDD: CASE FILES 18 - I've pretty much been reading these as they've come out. Can't believe there's been 18 volumes (along with 3 Restricted Files, America and The Dead Man!) but they're still really strong. This volume is interesting to me because it's around the time I started reading 2000AD - almost 20 years ago!? - though it would be a few years until I started the Megazine so a lot of those stories I wouldn't have read. This period for 2000AD is widely considered its very worst but a lot of the Garth Ennis stuff holds up well enough, though he does tend to fall back on the same pattern of shallow pop satires and piss-takes. It was also when 2000AD seemed insistent on all their artists doing painted work but the lovely Case Files paper really improves how these looked than in their original form. This volume also marks (hyuck hyuck) Mark Millar's first work on the character and he starts as he means to finish with a rather crap, poorly executed story that sells itself completely on it's sort-of-cool premise.

The real winner here is the second half of the book that features the Meg material, namely the Mechanismo story.  While Ennis and others tried (and failed) to emulate series creator John Wagner's grasp of the character, his history and the city itself in 2000AD, Wagner stuck to writing for the Meg during this period and it's this focus that really helps drive the series to where it is today. Starting off with America, then moving on to Mechanismo Wagner gave Dredd a new depth and meaning, proving himself more than capable of delivering the goods without his decade-long co-writer Alan Grant. Mechanismo and its sequel - alongside artist (and collaborator on the character-defining America) Colin McNeil - is a brilliant story with some of McNeil's best work. It's also a story that lays the crumbs for the next couple of years of Dredd's world, particlarly the descent of Chief Judge McGruder from eccentric-yet-capable leader to dangerous, paranoid madwoman, a character arc that ends in one of the most touching and perfectly executed Dredd single stories ever (that won't be reprinted till around volume 21!)

For people looking to get into Judge Dredd, I wouldn't recommend this as the first volume to get. I wouldn't even recommend volume 1 actually!  The 'early' Dredd classics like The Judge Child Quest and The Cursed Earth (both of which make up the entirety of volume 2) and Apocalypse War (volume 5) are great places to start. America is Dredd's Year One or Dark Knight Returns if you want, probably the closest you're going to get to a self-contained 'definitive' take on the character but it's also where Wagner brings the character forward and injects more serious political stuff into Dredd's world, apparently because he was worried that people had begun to lose perspective on his original intent - a futurist satire of modern culture and authority, and the dangers of surrendering freedom for safety - some even considered Dredd a hero or someone to look up to. Actually America makes an interesting companion piece to something like The Dark Knight Returns: the both deal with similar characters and themes but, in my opinion, America is much more intelligent and nuanced than Miller's work. Of course, it's not American and isn't published by either of the Big Two, so it's not as celebrated by the masses.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent!

Great bit of info there from my mate furry! I was just going through this thread and spotted this. Seeing as i'm now officially a 'Dreddhead' I found it really interesting. I have to agree with you on Garth Ennis' stuff furry - his stories are a bit of a hit or miss in my opinion. I really really need to read 'The Judge Child Quest' -' its in Case Files 04 I think. I saw said volume at HMV Oxford Street going for a tenner, and I'm rueing the fact I didn't buy it. I understand Case Files 04 is the first time we meet the Angel gang and Judge Anderson too. If I cannot make time to go back to HMV, then I think this'll be going top of my must buy list from online.

As for America, I read it not long ago (you can find my review atop this page), and I absolutely loved it! One of the best comics i've read without question. In fact, I might give it another read. : )

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 12/10/2012 11:44:50 PM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 909
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 13/10/2012 10:44:58 AM   
AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

quote:

Now reading;

Sandman is quite unlike anything I've ever read before - it is a superb series and the stories get better with each volume. Sandman volume 1 is really great, but its Gaiman just finding his feet. In my opinion, the next volume and especially the third; Dream Country is where he starts to excel. When I got to volume 4: Seasons of Mist I was absolutely blown away by it! I just sat there thinking to myself if I will ever read anything as brilliant as that! And I did - the next 6 volumes!

Its great that you've started to get back into it!

Yes, i've just bought Sandman vol 2, but i had to start over with the first volume, because it was so long time ago i read it. But yes indeed it's brilliant:)

When you consider things like the stars, our affairs don't seem to matter very much, do they?

I'm not a prophet or a stone age man, just a mortal with potential of a superman.

Post #: 910
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/10/2012 8:37:42 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Doesn't matter how many times I read this it always seems to give something new all the time.

(in reply to AnneSofieLoveMovies)
Post #: 911
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/10/2012 4:56:30 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

JUDGE DREDD: CASE FILES 18 - I've pretty much been reading these as they've come out. Can't believe there's been 18 volumes (along with 3 Restricted Files, America and The Dead Man!) but they're still really strong. This volume is interesting to me because it's around the time I started reading 2000AD - almost 20 years ago!? - though it would be a few years until I started the Megazine so a lot of those stories I wouldn't have read. This period for 2000AD is widely considered its very worst but a lot of the Garth Ennis stuff holds up well enough, though he does tend to fall back on the same pattern of shallow pop satires and piss-takes. It was also when 2000AD seemed insistent on all their artists doing painted work but the lovely Case Files paper really improves how these looked than in their original form. This volume also marks (hyuck hyuck) Mark Millar's first work on the character and he starts as he means to finish with a rather crap, poorly executed story that sells itself completely on it's sort-of-cool premise.

The real winner here is the second half of the book that features the Meg material, namely the Mechanismo story.  While Ennis and others tried (and failed) to emulate series creator John Wagner's grasp of the character, his history and the city itself in 2000AD, Wagner stuck to writing for the Meg during this period and it's this focus that really helps drive the series to where it is today. Starting off with America, then moving on to Mechanismo Wagner gave Dredd a new depth and meaning, proving himself more than capable of delivering the goods without his decade-long co-writer Alan Grant. Mechanismo and its sequel - alongside artist (and collaborator on the character-defining America) Colin McNeil - is a brilliant story with some of McNeil's best work. It's also a story that lays the crumbs for the next couple of years of Dredd's world, particlarly the descent of Chief Judge McGruder from eccentric-yet-capable leader to dangerous, paranoid madwoman, a character arc that ends in one of the most touching and perfectly executed Dredd single stories ever (that won't be reprinted till around volume 21!)

For people looking to get into Judge Dredd, I wouldn't recommend this as the first volume to get. I wouldn't even recommend volume 1 actually!  The 'early' Dredd classics like The Judge Child Quest and The Cursed Earth (both of which make up the entirety of volume 2) and Apocalypse War (volume 5) are great places to start. America is Dredd's Year One or Dark Knight Returns if you want, probably the closest you're going to get to a self-contained 'definitive' take on the character but it's also where Wagner brings the character forward and injects more serious political stuff into Dredd's world, apparently because he was worried that people had begun to lose perspective on his original intent - a futurist satire of modern culture and authority, and the dangers of surrendering freedom for safety - some even considered Dredd a hero or someone to look up to. Actually America makes an interesting companion piece to something like The Dark Knight Returns: the both deal with similar characters and themes but, in my opinion, America is much more intelligent and nuanced than Miller's work. Of course, it's not American and isn't published by either of the Big Two, so it's not as celebrated by the masses.

I've gone on a bit of a tangent!

Great bit of info there from my mate furry! I was just going through this thread and spotted this. Seeing as i'm now officially a 'Dreddhead' I found it really interesting. I have to agree with you on Garth Ennis' stuff furry - his stories are a bit of a hit or miss in my opinion. I really really need to read 'The Judge Child Quest' -' its in Case Files 04 I think. I saw said volume at HMV Oxford Street going for a tenner, and I'm rueing the fact I didn't buy it. I understand Case Files 04 is the first time we meet the Angel gang and Judge Anderson too. If I cannot make time to go back to HMV, then I think this'll be going top of my must buy list from online.

As for America, I read it not long ago (you can find my review atop this page), and I absolutely loved it! One of the best comics i've read without question. In fact, I might give it another read. : )

No problem Nexus, glad it was of some use! I love The Judge Child Quest. The actual conceit of that epic isn't particularly great but the story itself is fantastic. The Midnight Surfer is probably my favourite early Dredd story, centring around Chopper and Supersurf 7 with spectacular art by the great Cam Kennedy (its loose sequels are the epic Oz which concerns Supersurf 12 and the standalone Supersurf 12 written by Wagner and illustrated by Colin MacNeil, the same team behind America and with a lot of similarities).

Great to have another Dredd fan on the forum, it really does just get better and better the more you read

Post #: 912
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/10/2012 1:32:00 PM   
talpacino

I read this last night. I've never really been a huge reader of Batman, (don't hurt me) but yeah I really enjoyed this for the most part. The labyrinth issue (6?) was good and creepy but it was a bit of a let down at the end. 7 was ok but it's given me enough to make me want to continue reading this stuff.

Edit: Oh and how did Bruce survive being launched out of the window at Wayne Towers? Maybe I missed something but it looked like he just landed without using his grappling hook with no problem on the gargoyle?? Maybe I missed something.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 15/10/2012 1:34:32 PM >

Currahee!

Post #: 913
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/10/2012 1:40:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Great to have another Dredd fan on the forum, it really does just get better and better the more you read

Cheers mate and yes it does get better! I'm just re-reading America, as well as the free Progs I received over at 2000AD online, I never seem to get bored with it! Also, I really need to check out Chopper, and the arcs you've mentioned. Looking forward to reading the Judge Child Quest sometime in the future too.

I think having read the Apocalypse War recently (and really enjoying it), I want to check out the Necropolis storyline too. I think i'll order Case Files 14, as well as 04 next! So many files to get through! Not to mention the 2000AD stuff like Buttonman and Levaithan! I think i've got my reading material sorted out for the next ten years!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 15/10/2012 2:07:27 PM >

Post #: 914
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/10/2012 7:54:03 AM   
Chojin

Not bad, the moment when Aunt May confronts Peter at the top of the empire state building was a great moment.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 915
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/10/2012 10:06:08 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Thats a nice cover there Chojin.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 916
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/10/2012 1:34:20 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Not bad, the moment when Aunt May confronts Peter at the top of the empire state building was a great moment.

That was a fantastic issue. A pity they retconned Aunt May's death later, this was really the perfect send-off for her. JM DeMatteis had a great run on Spidey back then.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 19/10/2012 1:35:03 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 917
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/10/2012 8:54:31 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

This cover was the Uk Panini cover.
And one I desperately missed out on.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 918
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/10/2012 9:27:59 AM   
Harry Tuttle

This was absolutely fantastic. It just keeps getting better and better each issue. David Aja is off pencil duties for the next issue though so I'm curious to see how much of an impact that'll have on the quality.

The best thing about AvX was that it's sales success afforded Marvel the opportunity to take a chance with the likes of this and Hawkeye. Once again this was brilliant and, like the aforementioned Hawkeye, it just gets better each issue. I seriously hope the NOW line doesn't affect these 2 titles.

Also read the new X-O Manowar, AvX Consequences, New Avengers, Nightwing and JLA. AvX Consequences is really surprising me at the moment by reaching heights the crossover itself could barely dream of. Kieran Gillen seems to be the only person who can write Cyclops without turning him into a zealous, whiny arsehole. I really enjoyed New Avengers as well, there were some really good character moments.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 19/10/2012 9:30:14 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 919
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/10/2012 6:37:18 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES
This cover was the Uk Panini cover.
And one I desperately missed out on.

That's what I read it in :)

latest read:

I'm really enjoying reading the Clone Saga from it's start (if you don't count ASM #150 as the start) as I missed some issues when I was a teen so reading it in it's entirety is great. I can't believe Panini didn't print the great 'Lost Years' mini series before serialising some of the above issues as it gives the backstory with Kaine and Reilly and the JRJR art would be a welcome read. However I own this in graphic novel format so it's no biggy. The mark Bagley artwork shines in particular and has aged really well - JRJR even did the guest artistry on one of the PP: Spiderman issues I just read and his art is just as epic now as it was then. I always think of his interpretations of spidey as one of the definitive ones.

However soon JRJR will take over as the regular artist of PPSM - really looking forward to this most of all so I can read his entire run.

...I don't regret buying all those issues of astonishing in bulk at all.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 920
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/10/2012 12:50:57 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I'm reading Saga Volume 1 at the moment. Finished Y Book 3 a few days ago and it was absolutely brilliant. I cannot wait to finish up on the rest - such an enjoyable and addictive series. Brian K Vaughan is now on the list of my favourite comic book writers. The guy is fucking amazing!

EDIT: Just finished #3 (of Saga): WOW!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/10/2012 3:14:24 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 921
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/10/2012 11:08:15 AM   
sanchia

I managed to pick up the 12 issue run from my local comic shop (although I actually had a couple of issues already). A welcome return to form from Robinson after a few years in the wasteland, as a Starman fan I greatly liked this.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 922
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/10/2012 1:15:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I finished reading the Saga trade last night, and if there was one word to some it up It would be this;

WOW!

SAGA

I was totally blown away by it! Its like Star Wars for grown ups, and the characters - my god! In which other comic can you find characters as awesome and terrifying as The Stalk? Or cool and brooding as The Will? Or tree's that turn into rocket ships? Or a robot with erectile dysfunction?

It was such a cool read. And as I sit here right now, there's only one thought in my head and that is the question of when I will get to read the next volume, because upon finishing I wanted more. I almost dreaded to see it finish. So enthralled was I, immersed in the breath-taking universe that Vaughan had created.

The story revolves around two character's, Alana and Marko two soldiers from an opposite side of a galactic war between the planet 'Landfall' and it's moon 'Wreath' . Contrary to their races hostility to one another - they fall in love. They conceive a baby daughter together called Hazel. But these are dangerous times, and bringing a fragile thing as this new life into the world does not go unnoticed. Soon Freelancer's (Bounty hunters/ assasins) and the Landfall military, lead by Robot Prince IV are on their trail.

Brian K Vaughan has created a stunning grown up science-fiction epic; his writing is very witty, and heartfelt aswell. You know you are witnessing something special when you start caring for the characters in the story, and worried about what happens to them. He is my favourite writer right now alongside Brandon Graham. I love his prior works such as Y The Last Man - it is one of the best comic series of recent memory. And Pride of Baghdad was a joy to read; stunning and heartbreaking in the same breadth. But with Saga he has started something very special indeed.

But the reason why Saga is such a revelation is due to Fiona Staples stunning artwork; it is absolutely superb. It is a joy to behold. Her style is very original, and her lettering is beautiful too - especially Hazel's account. Her cover art for each of the six issues in this volume are just gorgeous to look at and it is amazing to think she is responsible for everything, not only interior artwork but the covers and the lettering too. Holding this volume in my hand, I felt I was in possession of something very special indeed.

Aswell as Stapleton's artwork, another key reason why Saga is such a joy to read (as well as our protagonists journey), is all the weird and wonderful characters on show, chief among them being 'The Stalk'. She is both beautiful and terrifying at the same time. I almost had a heart attack when I turned the page and saw her standing there! But that was nothing compared to what was underneath that black dress. Another freelancer The Will was another excellent creation - he's like a brooding, bald Han Solo with a cat instead of Chewie - a cat which can tell if you're lying. Or the odd sex club hostesses we meet on Sextillion, resembling a giant head on a pair of legs! Or the TV headed robot's - and whats more, a 'Royal' robot with erectile dysfunction! These creations make Saga such a unique and fascinating read.

Image Comics are definitely on the ascendency right now - with Elephantmen, Prophet and now Saga - it has never been a better time to be a science fiction/ comic book fan than right now.

5/5

Oh almost forgot, thanks Harry!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 21/10/2012 3:54:13 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 923
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/10/2012 4:43:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

You're very welcome .

Great review again, I think as far as the artwork goes it's pretty much the best looking thing that I'm currently reading. Only Yanick Paquette's work on Swamp Thing, David Aja's work on Hawkeye and Emma Rios's work on Captain Marvel even comes close at the moment in my opinion. Also Brian K Vaughan has done some extraordinary world building in the first arc creating a wonderful mythology and some excellently realised characters. The script is tight as fuck and the dialogue absolutely sings at times conveying a deep sense of pathos yet with a wicked sense of humour. I cannot wait for the next issue, it's just a shame that I have to wait till November the 14th for it to be released.

I also agree that Image are flying right now. In Saga, Harvest, Epic Kill, Revival and Mind the Gap they're producing some really interesting titles. Valiant are releasing some good stuff at the moment as well in X-O Manowar, Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong. It's a good but bloody expensive time to be a comic fan at the moment.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 924
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/10/2012 5:44:46 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

You're very welcome .

Great review again, I think as far as the artwork goes it's pretty much the best looking thing that I'm currently reading. Only Yanick Paquette's work on Swamp Thing, David Aja's work on Hawkeye and Emma Rios's work on Captain Marvel even comes close at the moment in my opinion. Also Brian K Vaughan has done some extraordinary world building in the first arc creating a wonderful mythology and some excellently realised characters. The script is tight as fuck and the dialogue absolutely sings at times conveying a deep sense of pathos yet with a wicked sense of humour. I cannot wait for the next issue, it's just a shame that I have to wait till November the 14th for it to be released.

I also agree that Image are flying right now. In Saga, Harvest, Epic Kill, Revival and Mind the Gap they're producing some really interesting titles. Valiant are releasing some good stuff at the moment as well in X-O Manowar, Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong. It's a good but bloody expensive time to be a comic fan at the moment.

Tell me about it!

Its really promising to see a lot of female artists showing off their talented wares right now too. If I made a list of my top 20 comic book artists right now, then Pia Guerra and Fiona Stapleton would feature high up there. The comic books industry has changed quite a bit, and so has the readership - its more inclusive now with titles to cater for everyones taste. Its encouraging to see.

Reading Saga has been so much fun, and as a sci-fi fan I loved it. The writing as you said was really tight and I loved the humour in it too. Really interested to find out about some of the other Image titles you've mentioned - so many comics and not enough time!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 21/10/2012 6:13:13 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 925
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/10/2012 7:41:02 AM   
Chojin

fun enough

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 926
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/10/2012 3:31:36 PM   
talpacino

quote:

I finished reading the Saga trade last night, and if there was one word to some it up It would be this;

WOW!

SAGA

A little piece about Fiona Staples' process if you're interested. http://multiversitycomics.com/previews/check-out-fiona-staples-saga-process-pieces-exclusive/

Currahee!

Post #: 927
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/10/2012 5:41:19 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Thanks for the link talpacino! Some really interesting concept art there, really nice to see how the characters developed. Marko as a Ronin is spot on. And I love Alana's style, in the comic her costume looks very oriental (esp Japanese) in style and suits her well.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 928
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/10/2012 10:20:25 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Finished reading JUDGE DREDD RESTRICTED CASE FILES 02 & JUDGE DREDD CASE FILES 15: both were a brilliant read; full of humour and great art. Carlos Ezquerra...

Also, PROG 1805 and JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE; an awesome double dose of high powered Thrill! Brass Sun is my favourite story in 2000AD at the moment; the artwork by Culbard is superb, so's the story by Edginton. When the story finishes, I cannot wait to pick up the trade / hardback .

At the moment, i'm reading;

PREACHER VOL 8: ALL HELL'S COMING
NORTHLANDER VOLUME 3: BLOOD IN THE SNOW

Ordered:

STRONTIUM DOG AGENCY FILE 02

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/10/2012 11:05:58 PM >

Post #: 929
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/10/2012 5:18:37 PM   
danbo1138

Judge Dredd case files 5 and I should be reading 2000ad prog 1860 but the focker ain't turned up

Small word indeed

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 24/10/2012 5:19:18 PM >

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI