Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 10:23:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Staples art is fantastic. For one artist to be producing such high quality covers, 22 pages of interior work, pencils, inks, colouring and part of the lettering, as well as all the character and world design... well, is there anyone else doing that in mainstream US comics?

Not sure what you mean by "sketchy", it's the style of the book. It doesn't make it any less refined or that it takes less time than your standard Jim Lee-cloned superhero book. I think as you read on through the series, you'll see how much the artwork contributes and suits the story being told.

I'm really liking Saga too. And I wasn't particularly fond of Y: the Last Man or Ex Machina (both were decent, rarely great). Y: the Last Man did have an absolutely brilliant final issue though.

I have to say I quite like Staples art, looking at the above. But I also agree with Chojin that not everyone necassarily has the same taste when it comes to art. One man's Tracy Emin can be another man's Mona Lisa!. But just reading what furry said about Fiona Staples doing everything herself - wow! I have to take my hat off to her because it's not an easy job. Thats why I have a whole lot more respect for people like Craig Thompson and Jeff Lemire who do pretty much everything themselves, even the writing!

Also, Harry Tuttle - yes mate, I do need to check out Mirrormask - heard about it for a while but never got round to seeing it! The other Gaiman inspired film Coraline was such a joy to watch!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 18/9/2012 11:24:20 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 871
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 19/9/2012 6:01:36 PM   
Chojin

Quite enjoying the series and I can see how the artists work is complimenting the story but i'm still not the biggest fan of the art. Any book that can make me laugh gains instant praise though. Lying Cat being my favorite character.

So far it's been good, but not great imo.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 872
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/9/2012 2:03:27 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Reading Judge Dredd: Tour of Duty Backlash at the moment (on top of all my 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine stuff), and I have to say its a great read!

EDIT: 'death by colonic irrigation'!! Ha ha!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/9/2012 2:00:57 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 873
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/9/2012 10:35:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken
Think I'll dig out Necropolis and The Dead Man sometime soon. That storyline was the definition of epic.

Can anyone remeber which story had Dredd stare full on into the face of Judge Fear before smashing his fist through his head? It's been bugging me for a while and I want to pick up the complete case files with that story in it. Cheers

I think it was around Prog 225. It's in Case Files 5, along with the complete Block War and Apocalypse War!† You can get that here (Click). Necropolis is reprinted in full in Case Files 14 (Click) but Tales of the Dead Man is reprinted separately (Click). Hope that helps!

quote:

Haven't read 2000AD since the early 90s. Dredd must be pretty old in it now. He's gonna have to die sometime right?

Oosh, yeah the Case Files are currently reprinting the early 90s stuff from Ennis, Millar and the rest. Most of it's pretty poor though it helps to have the Wagner-penned Megazine stories like Mechanismo in there.

Dredd is indeed pretty old now, they reference it quite a bit and deal with the issue regularly. There's a real sense of foreboding in Day of Chaos and there's some speculation that Wagner may be getting ready to finish up on the character. If you're interested in getting back into modern Judge Dredd, I'd recommend starting with The Pit and America. America you're probably familiar with but The Pit marked a new beginning for Dredd in the late 90s/early 2000s with Wagner taking full control of the character again (The Pit is, in my opinion, the second or third best Dredd epic after The Apocalypse War and the Judge Child Quest!)

Better yet, just pick up Prog 2012 and go from there!

Ah thank Grud I've found it at last! I've been looking for this post for a while now, I remember furry posting it - so I can find out which case file that awesome picture resides in!

I'm going to order Case File 5 very soon. I've been missing out!

Post #: 874
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/9/2012 10:57:21 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished 2000AD PROG 1800 a couple of days ago. I read it cover to cover and enjoyed it. In fact thats an understatement - I thought it was superb!

The stories for this issue were as follows:

JUDGE DREDD: THE DEATH OF DAN-E CANNON: I have to say that the artwork by Chris Weston never fails to impress me! He us up there in my list of favourite comic artists. The story is beautifully illustrated, with great detail and vibrant colours. Its quite funny aswell, DAN-E goes berserk after the budgie that was resident on its station was taken away. He rips up MC-1 with his/its laser, and naturally Dredd isn't too happy. The plan he concuts in resolving this issue had me in stitches!

BRASS SUN: THE WHEEL OF WORLDS; This is a new story by Ian Edginton and I.N.J Culbard. Its about a clutch of planets - The Orrery - which is a life-size clockwork solar system made up of asteroids, moons and planets all in orbit around a brass sun. The story starts on one of the worlds - Hind Leg which is ruled by religious zealots. Its leaders believe the Cog is creation, and any suggestion otherwise treated as heresay. But the worlds are dying, the brass sun is losing its power and a man tasks his grandaughter with saving their worlds. The story is steam punk at its best. The artwork by Culbard is absolutely beautiful to behold. After reading this opneing issue I cannot wait to read the next instalment.

ABC WARRIORS: RETURN TO EARTH ;There wasn't much in the way of a story - seeing as its only a mere few pages. But the artwork was very good - in its own strange way! I think i'll need to read a couple of issues more before I can understand what the hell is going on!

THE GREY ZONE: Artwork is really great, storyline? Same as the above - not much much to go on right now. I think same as ABC Warriors, a couple of issues in it'll get more interesting.

But an overall great Programme. The stand out for me was the first two stories, Judge Dredd and Brass Sun. The latter is something else entirely! Ian Edgington gives an interview in this issue, and some of the story idea's for this run he talks about sound awesome! I cannot wait!

Post #: 875
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 11:25:43 AM   
sanchia

The Grey Zone works well as a continued story and I have to admit has shaped up quite well from the early days.

ABC Warriors is pretty slight nowadays, I think it does not benefit from having so much backstory but the artwork alone carries it. I spent ages just looking at one panel purely for the wonderful matte metal effect around a stamped phrase on a robot..

I have to admit to not being a fan of Culbards work (I find the bridges of the noses rather distracting) but the story is very interesting and the premise of people living on a failing orrery is very interesting and imaginative.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 876
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 12:40:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

The Grey Zone works well as a continued story and I have to admit has shaped up quite well from the early days.

ABC Warriors is pretty slight nowadays, I think it does not benefit from having so much backstory but the artwork alone carries it. I spent ages just looking at one panel purely for the wonderful matte metal effect around a stamped phrase on a robot..

I have to admit to not being a fan of Culbards work (I find the bridges of the noses rather distracting) but the story is very interesting and the premise of people living on a failing orrery is very interesting and imaginative.

I'm not as familiar with ABC Warriors as say Judge Dredd (its been really fun coming back on board to the 2000AD universe - the last issues I read were as a kid!). I've borrowed Khronicles of Khaos from my local library and look forward to discover more on the 'Meknificent Seven'!

I agree that Culbard's characters noses are quite, erm prominent! But overall I love his artwork. I've read prog 1801 recently (i''ll post my thoughts later) and there's a two page panel art which just took my breath away! Awesome stuff.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/9/2012 12:41:58 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 877
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 2:32:10 PM   
sanchia

If anything he reminds me a little of D'Israeli just less detailed. I still class Leviathan as one of the best things 2000AD has produced.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 878
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 2:36:18 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

If anything he reminds me a little of D'Israeli just less detailed. I still class Leviathan as one of the best things 2000AD has produced.

Do you know if I can buy Leviathon as a TPB mate? I've missed out so many amazing stories from 2000AD, I need to catch up!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 879
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 2:45:38 PM   
sanchia

They did release it as a harback back in 2006 which I purchased and I think that was followed by a soft copy.

Yep

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leviathan-Ian-Edginton/dp/1907992693/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1348407875&sr=8-13

It looks like you can get it for £6 new which is definitely a bargain.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 880
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 3:34:07 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

They did release it as a harback back in 2006 which I purchased and I think that was followed by a soft copy.

Yep

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leviathan-Ian-Edginton/dp/1907992693/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1348407875&sr=8-13

Thanks for that Sanchia! I'll definitely add it for my future purchase.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/9/2012 3:35:16 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 881
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 7:02:09 PM   
sanchia

It is a very good self contained story. The only downside is it left me wanting more.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 882
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/9/2012 9:48:05 PM   
indysgill

Idolized

That is not the cover I got ( I wish I had though )

Synopsis from the publisher

Welcome to the mind-bending new comic book series about a TV show where super-powered teens and 20-somethings are competing for the ultimate dream-prize: a guaranteed spot in that world's top super-group, The Powered Protectors. The chance of winning offers fame, fortune, massive endorsement deals and, of course, a chance to actually save the world. Kids who dream of being worshipped as the next great, iconic hero would be falling all over themselves to get on - and hopefully even win - the show.

Is not a bad first issue, there is a funny scene with a Cowell-like judge, I really do want to see how this will carry on.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 883
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 25/9/2012 9:19:23 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Yep

Leviathan is fantastic stuff. Shakara and Low Life (the ones feat. Dirty Frank) are also worth a look, amazing artwork by Henry Flint and D'Israeli respectively.

If you're looking for some more self-contained 2000AD stuff, check out Cradlegrave. Oh and Nikolai Dante finished up recently after a decade, it's collected in about ten trades and is arguably the best character and series 2000AD has produced in the last 20 years!

Glad to hear you're enjoying 2000AD. I always loved the variety of stories every week and they keep things pretty fresh with new/returning series every month or so.

Post #: 884
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 25/9/2012 11:10:22 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep

Leviathan is fantastic stuff. Shakara and Low Life (the ones feat. Dirty Frank) are also worth a look, amazing artwork by Henry Flint and D'Israeli respectively.

If you're looking for some more self-contained 2000AD stuff, check out Cradlegrave. Oh and Nikolai Dante finished up recently after a decade, it's collected in about ten trades and is arguably the best character and series 2000AD has produced in the last 20 years!

Glad to hear you're enjoying 2000AD. I always loved the variety of stories every week and they keep things pretty fresh with new/returning series every month or so.

I am enjoying 2000AD immensly! I've signed up for the forum yesterday so looking forward to adding my input too. This comic is truly one of a kind! The only thing that annoys me is the fact it took me so long to come on board. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the stories you've mentioned mate, I do wish that I could get a collection of all the spooky stories they've published over the years. I really enjoyed prog. 1801 (although the printing error on Judge Dredd left a sour note).

You'll be please to know furry that i've ordered Judge Dredd: America and Judge Dredd Case Files 05 from Amazon on Monday. Really looking forward to reading them! Just finished Judge Dredd Tour of Duty: The Backlash and thought it was absolutely brilliant! Fantastic artwork, story, humour - it had everytyhing I love in comics! My next books to purchase will be Origins, and Tour of Duty. I was getting started on ABC Warriors Khronicles of Khaos - but it seems I still do not know the characters well (aswell as the premise). I think Meknificent Seven would be a better starting point.

Post #: 885
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 25/9/2012 10:50:43 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

I am enjoying 2000AD immensly! I've signed up for the forum yesterday so looking forward to adding my input too. This comic is truly one of a kind! The only thing that annoys me is the fact it took me so long to come on board. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the stories you've mentioned mate, I do wish that I could get a collection of all the spooky stories they've published over the years.

Here's a few!

Leviathan
Cradlegrave
Shakara: Book One (I think this is book one!?)
Nikolai Dante: Too Cool to Kill
Tales of the Dead Man (set in Dredd's world)
Judge Death (ditto)

Post #: 886
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 25/9/2012 11:45:24 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Wow! These titles look awesome! Leviathan is definitely a must buy!

Thanks for the links furry, much appreciated!

Post #: 887
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 4:15:05 PM   
Nexus Wookie

This was supplemental comic which was part of the Judge Dredd Megazine # 328 package, and I must say I really enjoyed it! I finished reading it last night, having been held up with a lot of reading material to get through.

Ratfink, the snivelling, sneaky off-spring of the Angel clan kidnap's a woman. He forcibly makes her his wife and after she accidently blurts out something about buried gold the snivelling one heads off back to the site of her abduction. But he does not bank on finding her Judge brother, who is part of a search party looking for the kidnapped woman, and not to mention, ol' Judge Dredd himself!

The artwork by Peter Doherty is absolutely brilliant. His art helps bring the villanous Ratfink alive. Not to mention the Cursed Earth landscape. The story is quite brutal at times, showing the lengths that Ratfink will go to, shooting his victims with his trademark poison, before offing them. He's a savage bastard thats for sure! (His character reminded me of the inbred psycho's Jon Voight and co encounter in John Boorman's excellent Deliverance). I really enjoyed it, especially the brilliant plan that Dredd concuts in capturing this vermin!

Theres another short story at the end titled 'Blow out' about a Judge who goes absolutely raving bonkers when a citizen lets out a terrible, canary killing fart on the hoverbus! All in all a really great read!

Post #: 888
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 4:25:23 PM   
Harry Tuttle

If you're picking up old Dredd/2000AD stuff I would seriously recommend

Young Death: Boyhood of a Superfiend

It's the first graphic novel I bought, back when I was about 15 I think (oh so long ago), and it's still one of my favourites. It's not got a lot of Dredd in it though.

I've got a load of old Dredd GN's, which have basically stopped me from investing in the Case Files. I'm going to bite the bullet I think and start from Vol 1 because i grew up reading comics like Dandy and Beano so apart from a couple of characters in the Eagle (one of which was co-created by Wagner I might add) Dredd was the first "comicbook hero" I started following.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 27/9/2012 4:40:52 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 889
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 6:42:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

If you're picking up old Dredd/2000AD stuff I would seriously recommend

Young Death: Boyhood of a Superfiend

It's the first graphic novel I bought, back when I was about 15 I think (oh so long ago), and it's still one of my favourites. It's not got a lot of Dredd in it though.

I've got a load of old Dredd GN's, which have basically stopped me from investing in the Case Files. I'm going to bite the bullet I think and start from Vol 1 because i grew up reading comics like Dandy and Beano so apart from a couple of characters in the Eagle (one of which was co-created by Wagner I might add) Dredd was the first "comicbook hero" I started following.

Thanks for the recommendation mate! I'll definitely check it out - the character of Judge Death fascinates me!

I'm ashamed to say that growing up I didn't know much about Dredd. I read the odd 2000AD comic here or there, but as a kid my main comic's were Tin Tin/ Asterix, and some Manga. As for superhero's I was more preoccupiedied with Batman. But Dredd as a British icon was always ever present. I would as a boy walk into my newsagents and look up to the magazine/ comics sections - the face of Dredd looming down on me. I have to say he made quite an impression on me!

Its only recently that i've really started to get into the 2000AD universe. And not just because of the release of the film. I read the Cursed Earth story arc some time ago (Spikes Harvey Rotten! You gotta love him! I had a tear in my eye toward the end!) And just a month or two ago (thanks to the advice of furry) I read Case Files 1 and 3 and loved them! The world of Dredd is truly one of a kind. The wide array of talents (Bolland''s work being my favourite) coming together to create an awesome series, and writers keeping things entertaining and fresh.

I've just had Case Files 05 delivered today, along with Judge Dredd: America and am looking forward to reading them. I really do recommend them mate (the case files), it wouldn't hurt to have them gracing your book shelf!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 890
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 6:57:44 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Thanks for the recommendation mate! I'll definitely check it out - the character of Judge Death fascinates me!

I'm ashamed to say that growing up I didn't know much about Dredd. I read the odd 2000AD comic here or there, but as a kid my main comic's were Tin Tin/ Asterix, and some Manga. As for superhero's I was more preoccupiedied with Batman. But Dredd as a British icon was always ever present. I would as a boy walk into my newsagents and look up to the magazine/ comics sections - the face of Dredd looming down on me. I have to say he made quite an impression on me!

The first time I ever read any Batman was the Batman/Dredd crossovers Judgement in Gotham followed by Vendetta in Gotham in the early to mid 90's*. I read them both at the start of the year to see how they hold up and they're both great fun. Simon Bisley's art in Judgement is also pretty kick ass. Dredd is written much better than Batman in both books but they're still a ridiculous amount of fun to read. I mean who hasn't wondered how messy things would get if Mean Machine Angel lost the plot during a rock concert in Gotham?

* Before Alan Grant did Batman: Shadow of the Bat.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 891
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 7:20:20 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

This was supplemental comic which was part of the Judge Dredd Megazine # 328 package, and I must say I really enjoyed it! I finished reading it last night, having been held up with a lot of reading material to get through.

Ratfink, the snivelling, sneaky off-spring of the Angel clan kidnap's a woman. He forcibly makes her his wife and after she accidently blurts out something about buried gold the snivelling one heads off back to the site of her abduction. But he does not bank on finding her Judge brother, who is part of a search party looking for the kidnapped woman, and not to mention, ol' Judge Dredd himself!

The artwork by Peter Doherty is absolutely brilliant. His art helps bring the villanous Ratfink alive. Not to mention the Cursed Earth landscape. The story is quite brutal at times, showing the lengths that Ratfink will go to, shooting his victims with his trademark poison, before offing them. He's a savage bastard thats for sure! (His character reminded me of the inbred psycho's Jon Voight and co encounter in John Boorman's excellent Deliverance). I really enjoyed it, especially the brilliant plan that Dredd concuts in capturing this vermin!

Theres another short story at the end titled 'Blow out' about a Judge who goes absolutely raving bonkers when a citizen lets out a terrible, canary killing fart on the hoverbus! All in all a really great read!

That's a lovely cover! I remember that story, pretty creepy stuff.

I'm looking forward to catching up on a whole years worth of 2000AD and The Meg when I get back to Ireland next year!

Post #: 892
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 8:21:32 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

The first time I ever read any Batman was the Batman/Dredd crossovers Judgement in Gotham followed by Vendetta in Gotham in the early to mid 90's*. I read them both at the start of the year to see how they hold up and they're both great fun. Simon Bisley's art in Judgement is also pretty kick ass. Dredd is written much better than Batman in both books but they're still a ridiculous amount of fun to read. I mean who hasn't wondered how messy things would get if Mean Machine Angel lost the plot during a rock concert in Gotham?

* Before Alan Grant did†Batman: Shadow of the Bat.

That sounds bloody wicked! I've read about the Judge Dredd/ Batman crossover comic, and apparently its one of the best crossovers there is! (Of course the first Alien VS Predator Omnibus was really good too). I'm waiting for the following to be released;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/178108078X/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1348773283&sr=8-1

so I too like you can catch up on some good comic book fun! I also heard that Judge Dredd VS Aliens is quite good too.

Post #: 893
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 8:27:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

That's a lovely cover! I remember that story, pretty creepy stuff.

I'm looking forward to catching up on a whole years worth of 2000AD and The Meg when I get back to Ireland next year!

Yep. The cover is brilliant! Looking forward to next months 'supplemental' too. The Judge Dredd Megazine is one handsome package! Money well spent

EDIT: this month's Megazine had a new Ratfink story which is a sequel to the above story - wherein the snivelling one escapes from prison!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 28/9/2012 9:44:02 AM >

Post #: 894
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 9:02:48 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

* Before Alan Grant did Batman: Shadow of the Bat.

That sounds bloody wicked! I've read about the Judge Dredd/ Batman crossover comic, and apparently its one of the best crossovers there is! (Of course the first Alien VS Predator Omnibus was really good too). I'm waiting for the following to be released;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/178108078X/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1348773283&sr=8-1

so I too like you can catch up on some good comic book fun! I also heard that Judge Dredd VS Aliens is quite good too.

Ooh, I'll have to grab that myself, I've only read the first 2 books. The other 2 Batman/Dredd crossovers have been quite pricey whenever I've looked for them so that's a nice price. Plus it'll be nice to start updating my Dredd books to be honest, they're all much higher and wider than standard Graphic Novels, it's really annoying as they overhang ever so slightly on my bookcase and just look plain messy.

I wonder how much the crossovers contributed to Grant getting a shot at doing Batman? What I've read of his Shadow of the Bat run (thanks again Sharky) was fantastic and he was responsible for creating Zsasz, Jeremiah Arkham and Anarky so the above crossovers (if they happened before his run on Detective Comics) may have ultimately been instrumental in creating some pretty memorable characters in the Dark Knight's universe.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 895
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/9/2012 9:22:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I would pretty much guess that the crossover did help. If so how cool is that?! I really need to get my hands on a copy. November cannot come soon enough for me!

EDIT: I also have the same problem as you when it comes to the sizes! My advice is to stack the normal size graphic novels on one shelf, and the oversized ones maybe seperately on another shelf . I stack (the oversized ones) one on top of the other rather than upright. Looks better in my opinion.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 27/9/2012 10:15:28 PM >

Post #: 896
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/9/2012 9:13:36 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I've read Legacy which is kinda meh this month (a shame as it's the penultimate issue) and Godzilla Half Century War which is great. The artwork is phenomenal and worth the cover price alone.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 28/9/2012 9:38:34 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 897
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/9/2012 9:57:27 AM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

Restarting Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. First issue is even better second time around. Poor Swampy

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

Post #: 898
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/9/2012 5:51:46 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Willie Mayes Hayes

Restarting Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. First issue is even better second time around. Poor Swampy

Swamp Thing rocks! I'm currently reading two comic book's at the moment, Y The Last Man Book 2; and Judge Dredd Case Files 05. Halfway through the former, and I've been really entertained up till then. I'm falling more in love with Pia Guerra's artwork every time I pick the book up. As for the latter, well what can I say? Its been brilliant so far! I'm still on the shorter stories so haven't approached the far meatier stories such as 'Judge Death Lives' and 'Block War' - and lets be honest, these stories are the main reason why I bought this volume! I have to say the earlier programmes writing is difficult to read at times, whether its the paper quality or the printing I don't know, but it clears up, as does the artwork when 'Judge Death Lives' begins. Been kept busy by these two reads so far and thoroughly enjoying it! After I've finished I'll get started on Judge Dredd: America so thats me sorted for the next few days.

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 899
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/9/2012 4:34:30 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I read the recent programme last night and I have to say its been a brilliant read! Its a big improvement on the last programme (1801), and no printing cock-ups this time thankfully! So here's my thoughts on the stories:

JUDGE DREDD: PAYBACK (PART 2): This is the second part of the story which started in the last Prog. Basically the premise is as follows: ''with Judge' numbers severely depleted after the chaos riots, the chief Judge has ordered the Space Corp back to Mega-City One. But the marines are not settling in well - and General Gilmore and Judge Dredd are en route to a top-level meetinng with the chief Judge..'' I thought it was an okay story, not as enjoyable as previous stories. The artwork by P.J Holden was terrific though. To understand this story one needs to be a tad familiar with the Apocalypse War storyline. The Space Corp are pissed as hell and take their frustations out on Dolman. Dredd is more a spectator, and stays out of the action pretty much. Still, it was nice to see him admitting to having regrets about past actions.

TWISTED TALES BY BOB BYRNES: This is a weird one! The story is about some alien/duck hybrid thingy taking revenge on a human who splatters his/its family on purpose while driving. The artwork in black and white was great, even if the story was a little, erm, weird!

BRASS SUN (PART 3): Wow! Things are getting quite interesting in this story now! As I have stated before the artwork by I.N.J Culbard is really enjoyable, and I readily admit to being a fan (even if most of the characters noses look like Qui Gon Jinn!). I won't give too much away because seeing as its a mere few pages long, I could give spoil it for some! Suffice to say it ends on a huge cliff hanger and I cannot wait to read the next instalment!

ABC WARRIORS: RETURN TO EARTH: All I have to say about this week's story is WOW! The artwork by Clint Langley is bloody awesome! Theres a two page spread in the begining and I have to say my jaws just hit the floor when I saw it!

The story too is a massive improvement on the past programmes. For the first time I can honestly say what is going on! Brilliant.

GREY AREA (PART 3) The Same goes for this story too, i'm starting to understand the premise much clearly now and hence have enjoyed this Prog's story. We get to see who the 'alien ambassador' is, he's a cross between Spawn and a Alien (I mean Ridley Scott's Alien!). I have to say I loved the design. He may act like all kind, offering tea to our protagonists but you know deep down inside he's a sneaky bastard! The artwork (by Karl Richardson) has grown on me immensly. And I have to say that i'm really looking forward to next week's Programme!

So all in all a really strong Programme. I'm surprised by the fact that the stories which I found weak two programme's ago namely ABC Warriors and Grey Zone, are now begining to get very intrigueing and enjoyable to boot! So much so they've been the standout stories for me right now (along with Brass Sun of course).

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 30/9/2012 4:35:51 PM >

Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI