Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 9:36:05 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Another lend from my mate at work - again, brilliant stuff. Made my lunch hour something to look forward to.

Along with Super Crooks these are excellent works imo. I did prefer Super Crooks but this series had some really heart wrenching moments and had a powerful message for the reader.

I think I need to read Nemesis.

Millar and Yu make a good combination I have to say! I've enjoyed some of their works together. I'm currently reading Avengers VS New Ultimates: The Death of Spiderman at the moment (by Millar and Yu). Its quite an enjoyable romp, but i'm sorry to say that Millar still has a knack of putting in some terrible dialogue every once in a while, which really does undermine the prior story. And I still hate his representation of The Punisher - one of my favourite Marvel character's. There's a moment in the comic he kills someone accidently and he starts going into meltdown ''Punish me - punish me!'' he cries out like a raving lunatic. The Punisher I know would've probably said ''ah hell - shit happens!' Millar has Thor abandon his 'Shakespearian' talk, via a really silly excuse - a bet wagered between Iron Man and him that if he stops talking like Shakespeare then ol' Shellhead will donate money to a charity - which is a pretty lame reason if you ask me! As a result, Thor loses the 'god aura' in my view. ''Oh my god'' he cries out at one stage which seems's really odd because A) he is god! And B) ''By Odin'' or ''By Odin's beard'' would seem more appropriate! Oops, forgot, he already became a casualty of Millar's writing by now...

Also 'First Hulk's'' constant wanker talk does get a little boring at times. And to add insult to injury, he classes Iranian's as Arab's, which they are not (they're 'Persian' as they prefer to be callled or Asian) But overall it's still an enjoyable read. Still got an issue to go.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 11/9/2012 12:53:23 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 841
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 3:46:49 PM   
talpacino

Finished volume 1 of Sandman. Pretty great though I wasn't mad on the issue with Scott Free and that other alien super hero. The stuff with Rosemary and Dee in the car was proper creepy and the end of it was nicely harsh and horrible. That kept up then for 24 hours which was properly horrible. Great stuff. I've got volumes 2 and 3 waiting for my holidays this weekend.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 842
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 4:16:49 PM   
jcthefirst

Picked this up at the weekend. Only just started but so far, it's pretty good.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 843
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 6:20:09 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Another lend from my mate at work - again, brilliant stuff. Made my lunch hour something to look forward to.

Along with Super Crooks these are excellent works imo. I did prefer Super Crooks but this series had some really heart wrenching moments and had a powerful message for the reader.

I think I need to read Nemesis.

Millar and Yu make a good combination I have to say! I've enjoyed some of their works together. I'm currently reading Avengers VS New Ultimates: The Death of Spiderman at the moment (by Millar and Yu). Its quite an enjoyable romp, but i'm sorry to say that Millar still has a knack of putting in some terrible dialogue every once in a while, which really does undermine the prior story. And I still hate his representation of The Punisher - one of my favourite Marvel character's. There's a moment in the comic he kills someone accidently and he starts going into meltdown ''Punish me - punish me!'' he cries out like a raving lunatic. The Punisher I know would've probably said ''ah hell - shit happens!' Millar has Thor abandon his 'Shakespearian' talk, via a really silly excuse - a bet wagered between Iron Man and him that if he stops talking like Shakespeare then ol' Shellhead will donate money to a charity - which is a pretty lame reason if you ask me! As a result, Thor loses the 'god aura' in my view. ''Oh my god'' he cries out at one stage which seems's really odd because A) he is god! And B) ''By Odin'' or ''By Odin's beard'' would seem more appropriate! Oops, forgot, he already became a casualty of Millar's writing by now...

Also 'First Hulk's'' constant wanker talk does get a little boring at times. And to add insult to injury, he classes Iranian's as Arab's, which they are not (they're 'Persian' as they prefer to be callled or Asian) But overall it's still an enjoyable read. Still got an issue to go.

I don't think i've had as much experience with his material as you but so far I think i've enjoyed just about everything he's produced that I've managed to read:

Ultimate Fantastic Four 1-6 - loved this.
Civil War - Enjoyed the main story and found it really refreshing, the spin offs not so much
Kick Ass - really enjoyed this and it made me laugh a lot - didn't need a movie adaptation
Superior - very much enjoyed
Super Crooks - really enjoyed! one of my faves

and i've been a fan of Leinil Yu since he penned Wolverine back in the 90's

etc....

--------------------

As for what I read today, I started the below which is my next lend :)

< Message edited by Chojin -- 11/9/2012 6:21:16 PM >

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 844
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 6:57:22 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Finished volume 1 of Sandman. Pretty great though I wasn't mad on the issue with Scott Free and that other alien super hero. The stuff with Rosemary and Dee in the car was proper creepy and the end of it was nicely harsh and horrible. That kept up then for 24 hours which was properly horrible. Great stuff. I've got volumes 2 and 3 waiting for my holidays this weekend.

Martian Manhunter! I thought it was okay (that issue). My favourite moment was when Morpheus/ Dream enters hell to retrieve his items. I loved the representation of Hell, Lucifer and all its other insane inhabitants! But Volume 1 is Gaiman just getting started! Trust me once you start Volume 2, read 3 (brilliant!) and then Volume 4: Season of Mist (Awesome!) - you'll go Sandman crazy! i take it this is you first reading? If so you're in for a treat!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 11/9/2012 7:03:23 PM >

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 845
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 10:34:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just finished Brian Azzarello's El Diablo a moment ago and I have to say its absolutely brilliant! This is an awesome western set story about a Sheriff who isn't all he seems. Slowly, we start to learn his deep dark secret, thanks to the mysterious figure of El Diablo. He's like a spook, it's alluded to in the comic that he isn't a man, and more of a ghost. We do not see his face at anytime. I loved how Azzarello turned our expectation's of him and the other characters upside down. Its a brilliant little read - I finished it in one sitting, it was a really enthralling made doubly enjoyable by the fantastic artwork. A wonderful story of a man getting his comeuppance. Highly recommended.

I need to read more of Azzarello's western stuff now!

Post #: 846
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 10:36:38 PM   
talpacino

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Martian Manhunter! I thought it was okay (that issue). My favourite moment was when Morpheus/ Dream enters hell to retrieve his items. I loved the representation of Hell, Lucifer and all its other insane inhabitants! But Volume 1 is Gaiman just getting started! Trust me once you start Volume 2, read 3 (brilliant!) and then Volume 4: Season of Mist (Awesome!) - you'll go Sandman crazy! i take it this is you first reading? If so you're in for a treat!

That's the one. I knew it was Martian something or other.

Yeah it's my first time reading them. I knew of Gaiman before obviously but only really picked these up because of what people have said here. It's a great start anyway, glad to hear it keeps up.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 847
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 12/9/2012 11:54:16 PM   
Nexus Wookie

PROPHET VOLUME 1: REMISSION

It is quite safe to say that I have never read anything quite like Prophet before! It is the most unique, mind-boggling comicbook 'trip' I have ever taken!

Brandom Graham (along with his co-creators) has crafted a sciene fiction masterpiece which can easily sit inside the pages of Metal Hurlant.

The story starts on a future earth changed by alien influence and time. We see a strange creature stalking the arid wasteland's for food. Suddenly a digger like object emerges through the ground. Inside it is John Prophet (who is one of several clones) and he is tasked with climbing the towers of Thauili Van and re-starting the Earth Empire via contact with the G.O.D satelite.

On his way there he meets a wide array of weird and bizarre alien creatures who have taken residence on earth. The comic is short on character dialogue for the first issue, it is up to us the reader to discover these strange places, much like our protagonist. Some of John's encounter's are quite funny, like his strange encounter with the 'Vagina Chicken'! Or his time on the Taxa Caravan's. These characters play an important role in John Prophet's quest. Most of them look like creatures that failed their audition for Star Wars and ended up on a cool science-fiction comic! And all the better for it!

The book features artwork from Simon Roy (chapters 1-3), Farel Dalrymple (chapter 4), Brandom Graham (chapter 5), and Giannis Milonogiannnis (chapter 6) along with Emma Rios who is on writinng and drawing duties for a short at the end entitled 'Coil: a clone story'. My favourite of the mentioned artists has to be Simon Roy's work on the opening three chapter's. His artwork is very evocative of Guy Davis' work and absolutely beautiful to behold. In fact it was seeing a panel of his artwork posted by furrybastard, which got me curious about the comic! (so a big thank you to furry!). These group of artists work really well together, and Brandon has an excellent technique of integrating the various artists (differing styles) into the story's narrative.

This is what true Indie comic is about. It shows what can be accomplished when a group of good writers and artists get together to share idea's. The possibilities can be endless.

I am aware that this comic is based on Rob Liefield's original John Prophet comic. But readers unfamilar with it do not need to go scouring the web for back issues because this story is a whole new take on Liefield's work. It is one of the most awesome, brain-boggling (in a good way!) breath-taking, beautiful, bizarre comics I have read! And for a self confessed sciene-fiction geek like myself - an absolute gem!

PROPHET VOLUME 1: REMISSION ***** 5/5

EDIT: i'm just re-reading this comic now, and I must admit i've noticed a few things which I missed on first reading - some really interesting (and funny) stuff! This title is so freakin' awesome!

BTW, I sometimes repost my reviews for comics or films on other sites, so if any of you guys start seeing double dont fret - its mine!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 14/9/2012 1:05:06 AM >

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 848
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/9/2012 12:56:58 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

----

I'm dying to know what you think of this Chojin! Jonathan Ross as a comic book writer sounds pretty um, crazy! I heard his other work, Turf is quite good.....apparently! (I saw a copy of it (Turf) in my local library I just might pick it up when i'm down there next).

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 14/9/2012 12:59:09 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 849
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/9/2012 2:54:22 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

PROPHET VOLUME 1: REMISSION

It is quite safe to say that I have never read anything quite like Prophet before! It is the most unique, mind-boggling comicbook 'trip' I have ever taken!

Brandom Graham (along with his co-creators) has crafted a sciene fiction masterpiece which can easily sit inside the pages of Metal Hurlant.

The story starts on a future earth changed by alien influence and time. We see a strange creature stalking the arid wasteland's for food. Suddenly a digger like object emerges through the ground. Inside it is John Prophet (who is one of several clones) and he is tasked with climbing the towers of Thauili Van and re-starting the Earth Empire via contact with the G.O.D satelite.

On his way there he meets a wide array of weird and bizarre alien creatures who have taken residence on earth. The comic is short on character dialogue for the first issue, it is up to us the reader to discover these strange places, much like our protagonist. Some of John's encounter's are quite funny, like his strange encounter with the 'Vagina Chicken'! Or his time on the Taxa Caravan's. These characters play an important role in John Prophet's quest. Most of them look like creatures that failed their audition for Star Wars and ended up on a cool science-fiction comic! And all the better for it!

The book features artwork from Simon Roy (chapters 1-3), Farel Dalrymple (chapter 4), Brandom Graham (chapter 5), and Giannis Milonogiannnis (chapter 6) along with Emma Rios who is on writinng and drawing duties for a short at the end entitled 'Coil: a clone story'. My favourite of the mentioned artists has to be Simon Roy's work on the opening three chapter's. His artwork is very evocative of Guy Davis' work and absolutely beautiful to behold. In fact it was seeing a panel of his artwork posted by furrybastard, which got me curious about the comic! (so a big thank you to furry!). These group of artists work really well together, and Brandon has an excellent technique of integrating the various artists (differing styles) into the story's narrative.

This is what true Indie comic is about. It shows what can be accomplished when a group of good writers and artists get together to share idea's. The possibilities can be endless.

I am aware that this comic is based on Rob Liefield's original John Prophet comic. But readers unfamilar with it do not need to go scouring the web for back issues because this story is a whole new take on Liefield's work. It is one of the most awesome, brain-boggling (in a good way!) breath-taking, beautiful, bizarre comics I have read! And for a self confessed sciene-fiction geek like myself - an absolute gem!

PROPHET VOLUME 1: REMISSION ***** 5/5

EDIT: i'm just re-reading this comic now, and I must admit i've noticed a few things which I missed on first reading - some really interesting (and funny) stuff! This title is so freakin' awesome!

BTW, I sometimes repost my reviews for comics or films on other sites, so if any of you guys start seeing double dont fret - its mine!

Fantastic review, Nexus. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Your mentions of Metal Hurlant and Guy Davis are absolutely spot-on.

My copy just arrived yesterday so I'm looking forward to reading it all in one go

Post #: 850
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/9/2012 5:36:59 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Cheers mate! I'm certain you'll enjoy too (reading it as a whole volume - so much better that way too)! Chapters 1-3 are my favourite. And not just because of Roy's awesome artwork, but the storyline and the little moments of humour, which readers might miss on first reading. But the other chapters are awesome too. By the end of the 6th and final chapter my jaws just hit the ground! Lol! And of course all this was thanks to you in the first place! Keep 'em coming dude!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 14/9/2012 5:40:35 AM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 851
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/9/2012 7:42:43 AM   
Chojin

quote:

quote:

----

I'm dying to know what you think of this Chojin! Jonathan Ross as a comic book writer sounds pretty um, crazy! I heard his other work, Turf is quite good.....apparently! (I saw a copy of it (Turf) in my local library I just might pick it up when i'm down there next).

I'm half way into the second issue and i'll be completely honest - it's boring the life out of me. After reading a couple of really fast paced Yu/Millar series this is a step in the wrong direction. So far it's been very predictable stuff - group of kids get given powers except for the central character.....I wonder if he will turn out to have powers at some point? of course he fucking will.

So personally i'm really not enjoying it and i'm only half way into issue 2. I still have the remainder to finish and issue 3 so things could change but so far i'm not impressed!

Edit: and the copy i'm reading is signed by Ross/Hitch, my mate is a bit serious about his collecting.

Edit 2: IGN seem to love it though, they're giving the issues 8 and 8.5 out of 10 so I might be in the minority.

< Message edited by Chojin -- 14/9/2012 7:45:24 AM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 852
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 14/9/2012 9:16:16 AM   
Nexus Wookie

The storyline about the central kid not having powers (when we know he's probably the daddy of supers) sounds a bit like Sky High!

But overall; hmmm, sounds like a bit of a hit or miss, and I agree after reading Millar and Yu everything else seems slow in comparison! Lol! I'll maybe give it a read somewhere down the line. Thanks for your thoughts Chojin!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 14/9/2012 9:25:50 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 853
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/9/2012 3:19:29 PM   
directorscut

Much too Dark Knight Return-ish and violent for my tastes. The final issue was pretty good though.

Seems like one of the Nolans is a fan.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 854
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/9/2012 7:20:15 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Much too Dark Knight Return-ish and violent for my tastes. The final issue was pretty good though.

Seems like one of the Nolans is a fan.

I really can't understand the hate for this from a lot of comic fans, I loved it! Its a really enjoyable read. I can understand the comparison to The Dark Knight Returns, because of some stylistic choices mainly the news bulletins. But thats as far as the comparisons go in my view. The artwork was really great - especially that memorable panel of Bruce's Zombie/ Evil Dead parents! And a really strong villain . I really need to add this to my collection soon.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 15/9/2012 7:21:47 PM >

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 855
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 15/9/2012 9:45:07 PM   
Vadersville

I thought it was shite. Pretentious, boring story. None of the characters act like they normally would. Jason Todd is nice! If nothing else then that should set alarm bells rining. And the artwork looks like it was coloured in by a three year old with a crayon shoved up each nostril.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 856
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/9/2012 12:10:00 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I thought it was shite. Pretentious, boring story. None of the characters act like they normally would. Jason Todd is nice! If nothing else then that should set alarm bells rining. And the artwork looks like it was coloured in by a three year old with a crayon shoved up each nostril.

I think thats pushing it! the artwork isn't that bad. And as a stand alone story its quite gripping in places. I loved the whole Gotham under siege aspect of it, and you can see that Nolan drew some idea's from this comic for The Dark Knight Rises. But i'll wait for a second reading before a hail itt as an absolute classic!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 857
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/9/2012 5:23:35 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

I think thats pushing it! the artwork isn't that bad. And as a stand alone story its quite gripping in places. I loved the whole Gotham under siege aspect of it, and you can see that Nolan drew some idea's from this comic for The Dark Knight Rises. But i'll wait for a second reading before a hail itt as an absolute classic!

I don't think he drew inspiration from this at all. I'd say that Knightfall and No Man's Land were the biggest influences along with the themes from The Dark Knight Returns.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 858
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 16/9/2012 6:15:34 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I haven't read No Man's Land so cannot really say, but he did take inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns at least this we can be certain of. Theres even a line he lifted straight from Millers comic which made me smile when seeing the film for the first time!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 859
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/9/2012 6:09:09 PM   
Chojin

Not sure about this one. It's a lot like Crossed which I was lent a while back in that it's pretty mindless shock value stuff. The way women are treated in this series seems to put some of the worst hentai i've seen to shame! (not that I've seen a lot but generally female characters aren't treated with a lot of respect in manga/anime aimed towards male teens/adults). In this story it features a community where, unless i'm misunderstanding - the female population enjoy being beaten by their husbands and gang raped?

Throw away, shock value fare really!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 860
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 5:11:14 PM   
directorscut

What the hell did I just read?

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 861
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 5:32:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

I enjoyed it personally although I freely admit that's probably due to McKean's artwork which I absolutely love. If it was a traditional penciller then I don't doubt that the fact I had to read through it twice to even have the slightest inkling what was happening would be an annoyance.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 862
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 5:38:44 PM   
Chojin

Just the one issue into this with another five left to read. I was disappointed by the interior art which didn't live up to the awesome cover, but it had some good introspective mysterious moments to it. Can't really form an opinion after just one issue though. I did enjoy Y The Last Man but this is a very different series.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 863
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 5:41:29 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Just the one issue into this with another five left to read. I was disappointed by the interior art which didn't live up to the awesome cover, but it had some good introspective mysterious moments to it. Can't really form an opinion after just one issue though. I did enjoy Y The Last Man but this is a very different series.

I think Fiona Staples' art is a thing of beauty.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 18/9/2012 5:42:09 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 864
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 5:51:09 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I enjoyed it personally although I freely admit that's probably due to McKean's artwork which I absolutely love. If it was a traditional penciller then I don't doubt that the fact I had to read through it twice to even have the slightest inkling what was happening would be an annoyance.

I liked it too but it was batshit insane.

My biggest problem was that the font used for Joker's dialogue was borderline ineligible at times. I hate when they do that.

Post #: 865
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 6:02:22 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I love Dave McKean's stuff too. His work on Gaiman's Violent Cases is absolutely superb! (i urge anyone who hasn't read it to do so immediately). Having said that i've yet to read Arkham Asylum. I've picked it up in bookstores so many time but everytime I go to pay for it I bottle it! Why? Grant Morrison - i'm still recovering from Batman R.I.P thank you very much!

Post #: 866
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 6:21:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

I love Dave McKean's stuff too. His work on Gaiman's Violent Cases is absolutely superb! (i urge anyone who hasn't read it to do so immediately). Having said that i've yet to read Arkham Asylum. I've picked it up in bookstores so many time but everytime I go to pay for it I bottle it! Why? Grant Morrison - i'm still recovering from Batman R.I.P thank you very much!

But, but, Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and Bat-Mite

Arkham is a bit of a divider I think. I'm sure a few people on here said they didn't like it a while back but I think it's great. Like I said though that's probably more to do with the artwork than the story (although I did like what he did with Two face).

Oh and I agree, Violent Cases is great. Gaiman and McKean are a match made in heaven, see also the film Mirrormask, which is brilliant, for further proof of this.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 867
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 7:27:22 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I think Fiona Staples' art is a thing of beauty.

O rly?

But hey, art is subjective so each to their own I just liked the shaded artwork of the cover and found the interior to be a bit sketchy. I did like the painted backgrounds when it gave a glimpse into Hazels narrative but other than that it was pretty average fare (imo)

I can't form an opinion yet on the series after just the one issue, be able to give my thoughts after a couple of days.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 868
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 7:38:11 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yup

I like the slightly rough around the edges look. I think it suits the tone of the story. That pic you posted is a dodgy one though, Marko looks like his legs have been cut off at the ankle.

I'll be interested to hear what you think once you've read all 6 issues. I think Saga is the best thing on the stands at the moment.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 869
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/9/2012 8:40:18 PM   
furrybastard

Staples art is fantastic. For one artist to be producing such high quality covers, 22 pages of interior work, pencils, inks, colouring and part of the lettering, as well as all the character and world design... well, is there anyone else doing that in mainstream US comics?

Not sure what you mean by "sketchy", it's the style of the book. It doesn't make it any less refined or that it takes less time than your standard Jim Lee-cloned superhero book. I think as you read on through the series, you'll see how much the artwork contributes and suits the story being told.

I'm really liking Saga too. And I wasn't particularly fond of Y: the Last Man or Ex Machina (both were decent, rarely great). Y: the Last Man did have an absolutely brilliant final issue though.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 18/9/2012 8:42:11 PM >

Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI