Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/8/2012 7:32:11 PM   
Zaphod121

Finished this the other day, getting a little bored of this now it seems to just drag on.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 811
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/8/2012 8:11:22 PM   
sanchia

Sadly it seems to have fallen into terminal crawl. I don't think it has had anything really good happening in the last 50 issues or so.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 812
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/8/2012 8:51:26 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Sadly it seems to have fallen into terminal crawl. I don't think it has had anything really good happening in the last 50 issues or so.

I'm still hoping Kirkman will just wipe the whole cast out and start over somewhere else, with a whole new bunch. Though I suspect he's too safe and repetitive a writer to do something like that, sadly. Even Adlard seems bored with all the talking heads.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 813
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/8/2012 7:37:34 AM   
Chojin

quote:

The Clone Saga. What a treat you are in for,

I actually liked it! (When I was 12) I'm just hoping it isn't something best left as a memory.....

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 814
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 30/8/2012 9:00:54 AM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

quote:

I actually liked it! (When I was 12) I'm just hoping it isn't something best left as a memory.....

It starts off pretty well, if I recall. It's when The Jackal gets involved and there's like five hundred clones that things get ridiculous.

I remember years ago some insider at Marvel put up a sort of tell-all diary post about it and it was pretty hilarious reading. They wrote themselves into a corner and were ringing up all the writers in the company trying to get someone to figure a way out of it. They were under immense pressure to deliver the comics on time so month by month they were trying to solve some random problem and it just kept snowballing to the point where none of them actually knew what the hell was supposed to be happening whilst actually writing the scripts!

I also remember preferring Ben Reilly as Spider-Man. As with what happened in recent years with Batman and Bruce Wayne, I actually prefer my superheroes being less gloomy and depressive all the time. Dick Grayson was better at being Batman and Ben Reilly was better at being Spider-Man.

Did they ever bring Ben Reilly back? Maybe he's off in the wilderness with Mary Jane, eh?

EDIT: Ah, it was called the Life of Reilly and here it is! I remember reading it on some geocities-looking site back in the day. Pre-blogs, don't ya know.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 30/8/2012 9:03:18 AM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 815
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/8/2012 5:52:17 PM   
Chojin

a mate at work lent it to me. I'm not far enough into it to form an opinion yet, it's interesting enough but I need read more!

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 816
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 31/8/2012 7:39:11 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

quote:

It starts off pretty well, if I recall. It's when The Jackal gets involved and there's like five hundred clones that things get ridiculous.

I remember years ago some insider at Marvel put up a sort of tell-all diary post about it and it was pretty hilarious reading. They wrote themselves into a corner and were ringing up all the writers in the company trying to get someone to figure a way out of it. They were under immense pressure to deliver the comics on time so month by month they were trying to solve some random problem and it just kept snowballing to the point where none of them actually knew what the hell was supposed to be happening whilst actually writing the scripts!

I also remember preferring Ben Reilly as Spider-Man. As with what happened in recent years with Batman and Bruce Wayne, I actually prefer my superheroes being less gloomy and depressive all the time. Dick Grayson was better at being Batman and Ben Reilly was better at being Spider-Man.

Did they ever bring Ben Reilly back? Maybe he's off in the wilderness with Mary Jane, eh?

EDIT: Ah, it was called the Life of Reilly and here it is! I remember reading it on some geocities-looking site back in the day. Pre-blogs, don't ya know.

It is pretty awful the manner they treated Ben Reilly as I too preferred him. There was a lot more to that character.

I know Kaine presently has an ongoing comic The Scarlet Spider.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 817
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/9/2012 7:45:00 AM   
Chojin

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 818
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 3/9/2012 10:34:53 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Just finished reading Smith's run on The Bionic Man not bad yet nothing special, though I did really enjoy the artwork.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 819
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/9/2012 2:08:25 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I'm halfway through reading Y The Last Man Book 1 (just started volume 2) and I have to say i'm really enjoying it! The artwork by Pia Guerra is exceptional : I read a lot of review saying how it isn't that good, but I say bollocks to all that - its very good in my estimation. Suits the story very well, its quite pop arty - in total contrast to the sometimes very grim storyline - but it works.

The Amazon's are fucking scary! I'd hate to come across one!

Prior to starting Y, I finished reading Ennis' Just A Pilgrim. It isn't vintage Ennis, but nonetheless enjoyable '- and funny as hell. The thing that really jarred for me was the main character's change of heart toward the end; he's a bible-bashing man of god. An ex-military, ex- cannibal ex- convict (yes you heard me right!). The premise is quite cool: earth ravaged by 'the burn': a post-apocalyptic hell hole where the sea has dried up thanks to the sun expanding. And we have a Mad Max style plain of arid desert and warring psycho's.

Ennis' strong anti-Christian views got a little tedious at times. If done right it can be quite effective, but here it feel's preachy at times. And the ending made me laugh and not in a good way. It's still an enjoyable, funny romp but the weakest work by Ennis i've read up until now.

I also finished Fun Home. I did......enjoy it, the artwork is brilliant, but the storyline started getting very boring for me about 2/3 of the way through. I'll eloborate a bit more on it later on.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 820
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 5/9/2012 6:23:51 PM   
Chojin

i've got about half of the issue left - my lunch hour ended :(

absolutely loving this series. Oceans Eleven with super villains. The corridor scene with the brothers had me in stitches.

Really can't fault this series at all, it's fun, witty, violent with some very likeable characters from the very start. Recommended.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 821
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 8:29:22 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

absolutely loving this series. Oceans Eleven with super villains. The corridor scene with the brothers had me in stitches.

Really can't fault this series at all, it's fun, witty, violent with some very likeable characters from the very start. Recommended.

This looks very interesting! I know Millar isn't exactly everyones cup of tea but i've really enjoyed his works over the years. I love Leinil Yu's artwork too so i'll definitely check this out!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/9/2012 12:49:29 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 822
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 11:14:50 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I'm halfway through reading Y The Last Man Book 1 (just started volume 2) and I have to say i'm really enjoying it! The artwork by Pia Guerra is exceptional : I read a lot of review saying how it isn't that good, but I say bollocks to all that - its very good in my estimation. Suits the story very well, its quite pop arty - in total contrast to the sometimes very grim storyline - but it works.

Yeah, I loved the Guerra artwork and don't understand the negative reviews.  Y The Last Man is one of the best ongoing titles of recent years IMO.  As far as I know, there is still a movie in development (that is likely to be the first of three), and I've heard Shia LaBoeuf's name being flagged up to play Yorick, with Alicia Keys as 355.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 823
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 11:29:09 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Yeah, I loved the Guerra artwork and don't understand the negative reviews.  Y The Last Man is one of the best ongoing titles of recent years IMO.  As far as I know, there is still a movie in development (that is likely to be the first of three), and I've heard Shia LaBoeuf's name being flagged up to play Yorick, with Alicia Keys as 355.

I've only read volume 1 and really enjoyed it but a few bits annoyed me. The constant movie references got a bit much at times, yes ok you like cool movies. The bit at the start where Hero puts the gun to her head saying "All the men are dead" was a bit too far. Yes her boyfriend died in front of her but how could she possibly know all the men are dead, it happened like 10 seconds ago and you want to kill yourself straight away? Ummm ok. Also, when they said that the word "cunt" wasn't derogatory in the UK. Errr what? Ok I don't live in the UK but I'm pretty sure it's derogatory.

I sound like I don't like it, I did enjoy it quite a bit and I have volume 2 and 3 waiting to be read. I'm just getting through some Sandman at the moment.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 6/9/2012 11:34:32 AM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 824
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 11:37:35 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

quote:

I've only read volume 1 and really enjoyed it but a few bits annoyed me. The constant movie references got a bit much at times, yes ok you like cool movies. The bit at the start where Hero puts the gun to her head saying "All the men are dead" was a bit too far. Yes her boyfriend died in front of her but how could she possibly know all the men are dead, it happened like 10 seconds ago and you want to kill yourself straight away? Ummm ok. Also, when they said that the word "cunt" wasn't derogatory in the UK. Errr what? Ok I don't live in the UK but I'm pretty sure it's derogatory.

I sound like I don't like it, I did enjoy it quite a bit and I have volume 2 and 3 waiting to be read. I'm just getting through some Sandman at the moment.

To be fair it doesn't carry a fraction of the weight here that it does in the States. It's colloquially used like punctuation round my way, in place of a full stop pretty much .

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/9/2012 11:39:47 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 825
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 12:08:08 PM   
talpacino

Let's do an experiment. Go up the town and call the next 10 people you see a cunt and see what reaction you get.

EDIT: Judging from this line from that urban dictionary link you posted elsewhere you're more likely to get a hug. "Cofi's use the word "cont" as an affectionate term to their friends and loved ones (as well as their enemies)."

< Message edited by talpacino -- 6/9/2012 12:12:06 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 826
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 1:05:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

I also read that Shia is being lined up for the role of Yorick...a prospect I am absolutely dreading! but I also read that apparently he turned it down because he felt Yorick was to close to his previous role of Sam Witwicky in Transormers! Yeah right - Yorick is a lot more likeable than Witdicky thank you very much!

As for Alicia Keys as agent 355; my only question is - can she act? I haven't seen any of her previous films so don't know what she's like behind the camera. First of all she'll need a haircut though.

I've read Y book one and I have to say i've fallen head over heels in love with the whole premise/writing/ artwork/ character's, and would hate to see a shitty adaption by anyone. I read Vaughan wrote his recent comic Saga in a way that would be hard to adapt by Hollywood, maybe he too was filled with dread when he realised what Hollywood had in store for Y (judging by what we know).

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/9/2012 1:14:15 PM >

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 827
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 1:26:38 PM   
jcthefirst

I still think Zachary Levi would be great for Yorick.

And tal, my memory's a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Hero that wanted to kill herself. It was some police officer, who did actually kill herself.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 828
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 1:35:30 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

And tal, my memory's a little fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Hero that wanted to kill herself. It was some police officer, who did actually kill herself.

That was my feeling too, she did look a bit like Hero but I thought she was someone else. I'm just going to have a look through my copy and get back.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/9/2012 1:37:17 PM >

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 829
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 1:46:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Let's do an experiment. Go up the town and call the next 10 people you see a cunt and see what reaction you get.

EDIT: Judging from this line from that urban dictionary link you posted elsewhere you're more likely to get a hug. "Cofi's use the word "cont" as an affectionate term to their friends and loved ones (as well as their enemies)."

Indeed, it's a term of endearment round here .

I'm not even joking, I can't remember at what point it entered the lexicon but it creeped in and now, like I said above, it's basically used as a full stop to end each sentence.*

* - Not everyone talks like that by the way, it's not even a significant proportion, just us common council types. I still find myself slipping it into sentences now and again depending on who I'm talking to. It took me ages to get out of the habit.

So yeah, comics. I've read more stuff I like off Millar than I dislike but the bad stuff is fucking horrendous (yes, I'm still banging on about The Ultimates).

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 830
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 1:53:51 PM   
talpacino

quote:

Ah you may be right. I think Yorick mentioned something about her new boyfriend being dead and I don't know why I made that link in my head. Still a little excessive to assume all men are dead and kill yourself anyway, whoever she is.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 6/9/2012 1:55:34 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 831
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 2:01:40 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Indeed, it's a term of endearment round here .

I'm not even joking, I can't remember at what point it entered the lexicon but it creeped in and now, like I said above, it's basically used as a full stop to end each sentence.*

* - Not everyone talks like that by the way, it's not even a significant proportion, just us common council types. I still find myself slipping it into sentences now and again depending on who I'm talking to. It took me ages to get out of the habit.

So yeah, comics. I've read more stuff I like off Millar than I dislike but the bad stuff is fucking horrendous (yes, I'm still banging on about The Ultimates).

Yeah, like I'd call a friend a cunt in private or if I banged my toe on a table leg I'd call it a cunt but I think most people would find it a bit shocking to hear. If I saw Mrs. Brady up the town I wouldn't call her a cunt even though she did shout "Queer" at me out of her living room window.

Anyway, enough cunt talk. Still reading Sandman.

Currahee!

Post #: 832
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 2:47:41 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Ah you may be right. I think Yorick mentioned something about her new boyfriend being dead and I don't know why I made that link in my head. Still a little excessive to assume all men are dead and kill yourself anyway, whoever she is.

Yep, you're right JC, the (suicidal) woman in the first page is not Hero. Hero has a different uniform altogether, (she's wearing a white one with different badge, whilst the other woman is wearing blue and is a police-woman).

I can understand how we could get it wrong though - seeing as the both of them look alike!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 6/9/2012 2:49:59 PM >

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 833
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 5:02:29 PM   
jcthefirst

I think I might start reading Y all over again. Great series.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 834
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 6/9/2012 5:54:56 PM   
Chojin

quote:

quote:

This looks very interesting! I know Millar isn't exactly everyones cup of tea but i've really enjoyed his works over the years. I love Leinil Yu's artwork too so i'll definitely check this out!

Finished reading it today - it's a nice little self contained tale within four issues. Wrapped up nicely, would really recommend it

As for after that, I read the following:

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 835
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 9/9/2012 8:46:06 PM   
Nexus Wookie

As well as reading PROPHET, (i'm up to #4 now) i've also been kept busy by the following;

BONE VOL 3
DAREDEVIL: LADY BULLSEYE
NEW BRIGHTON ARCHEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

I'm really enjoying bone, its been described as 'Disney meets Lord of the Rings' and it isn't hard to see why. Its not helping that I didnt read the first two volumes. I think I might invest in the giant 1300 page 'one volume' sometime in the future so I can read it start to finish. But its really enjoyable, and funny to boot. The artwork by Jeff Smith is superb. (this is the coloured version).

Lady Bullseye was another enjoyable comic. Again it would've helped if I read prior instalments, and once I go through Miller's remaining Daredevil stories, I might just start on Bendis' run from the begining. The artwork is very reminiscent of Gotham Central.

A real gem which i'm also reading now is the New Brighton Archeological Society! Its a really charming story about a group of kids who go out looking for adventure and stumble upon a goblin and fairy war! I love the concept that the goblins are the good guys, and the fairies are the baddies. Although it has been alluded to that they were once good too but had been corrupted. Its a really nice read, reminded me of all the fantasy and adventure film's I watched (and read about) growing up.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 836
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/9/2012 11:40:25 AM   
Harry Tuttle

About half way through this. The story is alrightish but Quitely's artwork is fucking horrific. I don't mind his work on Batman & Robin but everything here just looks wrong. Everyone's legs are like twice the length of their torso's, every character has the same chin, Wolverine looks ridiculous and don't even get me started on the costumes. Quitely's style just doesn't suit the X-Men at all and as a result this is probably one of the worst drawn books I've read.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 10/9/2012 11:41:39 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 837
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/9/2012 5:45:55 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Just finished the above. The story went downhill pretty sharpish and the Artwork stayed the same. Everything felt far too rushed, 4 issues is nowhere near enough time to try to redefine the status quo as Morrison attempted. A very disappointing read overall.

Avengers Disassembled next, I have high hopes for that.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 10/9/2012 5:47:22 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 838
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 10/9/2012 5:45:59 PM   
Chojin

Another lend from my mate at work - again, brilliant stuff. Made my lunch hour something to look forward to.

Along with Super Crooks these are excellent works imo. I did prefer Super Crooks but this series had some really heart wrenching moments and had a powerful message for the reader.

I think I need to read Nemesis.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 839
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 11/9/2012 9:31:48 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I read most of Mondo last night. What an absolutely bat shit crazy read. In a good way.

I've had the Blackest Night lot to read for a while now but was put off due to not being familiar enough with Green Lantern. Having rectified that I'm going to give it a blast (although it's tough to read it chronologically in the collected format). Not really sure what to expect, the last DC crossover I read was Infinite Crisis and I thought that was an incomprehensible mess (not being very familiar with the DCU probably didn't help).

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI