Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What comic book are you reading right now?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 1:52:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

As I'm trying to diversify my reading I was given a couple of DVD's full of Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps scans going back to the early 90's last night. As I wasn't really sure where to start reading I gave Green Lantern: Rebirth and Green Lantern Corps: Recharge a spin first. In hindsight I probably should have given the Emerald Dawn arcs and the Emerald Twilight arc a read first but still, I was impressed enough with both that I'll be ordering the trades when I get paid on Monday (scans are handy for a quick impression but I prefer to own things). The main annoyance is that I have the Green Lantern Corps run from 2006-2011 from issue #1 but the Green Lantern run starts at issue #37. I hate reading arcs out of sync so I reckon I'm gonna have to start buying the trades.

I doubt I'll be buying the trades for some of the earlier stuff though, the art for some of them look a bit rough.

One quick question regarding the Corps though. I'm new to the Guy Gardner character (I'd come across Rayner, Stewart and obviously Jordan in bits I'd read here and there), is he meant to be a completely unlikeable douchebag?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 781
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 6:46:48 PM   
sanchia

Yep.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 782
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 7:07:24 PM   
Harry Tuttle

They've done a good job then .

I've read the first few issues of Corps and, well, I have to be honest and say for what is ostensibly a reboot I'm finding that the lore is pretty convoluted. I think I'm going to have to go back a bit further and read some of the Parallax related arcs (as I should have done originally to be honest) and a few of the stand alone character stuff (Guy Gardner: Warrior, Ion: Guardian of the Universe and Green Lantern: Mosaic - the collection I got was pretty extensive ) because although I'm enjoying what I'm reading, I can't help but feel that a lot of stuff is going over my head.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 783
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 7:26:13 PM   
furrybastard

I read a bunch of a friends trades a few months before the film came out. I think the only pre-Rebirth story I read was Emerald Dawn which was ok. The mythology is convoluted but nothing you can't pick up reading Johns GL run.

For my money, the first few trades of Green Lantern Corps surpass the core GL title. Dave Gibbons scripting (and sometimes on art duties, I think) and Patrick Gleason/Mick Gray on art. It was a title that was a lot of fun and had plenty of new ideas with a strong central idea (cops in space). Johns' GL title is decent but does get a little overwhelmed by having to streamline decades of continuity.

Both titles go off the rails eventually, especially GL Corps unfortunately (once Gibbons leaves, essentially). I think after Sinestro Corps War it all gets a bit 'meh'

Post #: 784
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 7:57:35 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I've been really busy over the last week or two, and couldn't forward my thoughts on the comic's i've read. But I did manage to muster some time so here they are;

AKIRA VOL 1, 2, 3 BY KATSUHIRO OTOMO

I've been a fan of anime since a child and was an avid reader of Manga Mania magazine which published Akira every month. However I started reading it from midway through, having missed out on the earlier chapter's. And so I finally ordered Volume 1 and was blown away by it all over again! The artwork is brilliant, Otomo's work is visually impressive. The detail in the Neo Tokyo landscape; building's, vehicles, people is beautiful to behold. Even a small speck in the distant is detailed meticulously.

The story starts with a group of misfit teen's, a biker gang led by Kaneda and his understudy Tetsuo. Their both orphan's and friend's since childhood. However their lives are cleft asunder when they meet Takashi; a withered kid with huge psychic abilities. The goverment led by a General are looking for Takashi, but on top of that Kaneda get's embroiled with a young woman by the name of Kay who is part of a underground 'terrorist' network. To make matter's worse Tetsuo is taken by the military and tests conducted. Little do they know what terror Tetsuo will unleash after underestimating him because he too has psychic abilities. And he soon has his mind set on looking for the mythic Akira. The scope of this comic is huge but never confusing thanks to Otomo's masterful storytelling. Sometimes the images tell the story and there is very little dialogue involved. I fouind it a really fun read, and even though the volumes are roughly 600 pages each, I managed to go through them pretty quick! and after finishing the first volume I had the overwhelming urge to order the next volume immediately! It's really addictive, and part of the joy of reading it is the human interaction, and the character's in particular - Kaneda being the chief protagonist and clown for the first couple of volumes.

Volume 2 is more of a race against time as the military try to persue Tetsuo whose pyschic powers are starting to grow. Tetsuo is close to discovering the mystery of Akira, is he a myth? Who is he? We soon find out in an extraordinary set piece deep inside the bowel's of a stadium. It is a thrilling moment in the story, and one filled with action and suspense. This moment was translated onto the film version which Otomo also directed. But there's a key difference; in the movie Akira was dead. Here, he's pretty much alive. And his awakening has huge consequences as we shall see in Volume 3.

The 3rd volume is when she shit really hits the fan! The last couple of pages are simply breath-taking! Neo Tokyo in utter ruin's with building's collapsing over the next. It is a beautifully realised moment and Otomo's artwork.....it need's to be seen to be believed! This moment is when the movie end's, but the comic still has another 3 more volumes to go! And trust me that's when thing's start getting really interesting indeed!

AKIRA VOL 1, 2, 3 ***** 5/5 (all three)

HABIBI BY CRAIG THOMPSON

This graphic novel by Craig Thompson (Blankets) has to be one of the most beautiful, aweinspiring pieces of work I have ever had the previlage of laying me eyes on! 7 years in the making, it follow's the story of two child slaves Dodola and Zam. Dodola is a child when she is forced by her parent's into marriage with a scribe many years her senior. He teaches her stories from the work he copies painstakingly, from the Qur'an and Arab fairytales such as 1001 Arabian Nights. But she is soon kidnapped by some bandits and forced into slavery. It is here she find's the abandoned baby Cham (later re-named Zam by Dodola after Zam Zam: the well which was discovered by a baby Ishmael according Islamic tradition). The both of them seek refuge inside an abandoned boat in the desert. The baby Zam spends the night hearing stories from Dodola from the Qur'an, whether it be the creation of Adam, the Angel's, the Jinn's, or the Prophet Muhammad's night journey on the winged mystical beast - The Buraq.

Thompson's main reason behind this beautiful work was to show everyone about the shared history and heritage of Islam and Christianity. The stories can be recognised by Christian's or Jew's but they have an Islamic viewpoint like the story of Solomon and Sheba (or Bilquis) and Jesus who is a revered figure in Islam. It is an admirable undertaking from Thompson especially in a world where anti-Muslim sentiment is rife.

Thompson's artwork is absolutely stunning to behold, all the panel's are drawn painstakingly with intricate border's for the stories narrated by Dodola, and beautiful Arabic calligraphy sometimes merging into an image. Or an image such as a river merging into Arabic lettering. It is clear to see Thompson's love of this most unique of crafts.

Zam is growing, and as he approaches adolesence he experiiences deep yearning's for Dodola. Dodola realises this and does not share a bath, she see's him as her child (their relationship develops from brother and sister to mother and son, and later on to that one of lovers, but not lover's in the 'traditional' sense). In order to feed themselves Dodola takes to prostututing herself for passing carravan's. One day Zam follow's her and find's her getting raped. He run's away. He decides rto go into the town to sell water to the people (water is scarce thanks to the a dam built by the Sultan). But Dodola unnable to find him in their boat house goes looking for her. They are seperated and their destinies do too with Dodola taken into the Sultan's harem and Zam joining a group of Enuchs. These decisions will ultimately change them. The book show's the choices that are made, and how they mould a person or as I mentioned - change them. Zam too makes a choice which changes him literally. It is a shocking moment in the book but the choice he makes ultimately lead's him to his lost love, Dodola. They are re-united at last. They are both changed due to their life experiences and the world too has changed. Pollution, industry, skyscraper's have risen in the once barren desert. It is clear to see that aswell as being a love story, Thompson was also commenting on the folly of man, and man's desire to destroy nature. This evidenced when Zam and Dodola return to their childhood boat (an ojbect of innocence perhaps) now populated and buried beneath man made rubbish and refuse.

One of my favourite chapter's in the book is one when both of our protagonists take refuge in the fisherman's house. He is a very likeable fellow, open hearted yet simple. Many commented that he's a character the great Will Eisner would have loved. And I agree. This chapter is almost like a tribute to Eisner.

Habibi is a modern masterpiece, an epic, a joy to hold in one's hand, a pleasure to read and beautiful to behold. There is no other graphic novel quite like it and in that sense it is unique. It is a marvel of magnificent artistry and vision. It is moving, tragic, funny and yet uplifting too. I cannot praise it enough.

HABIBI ***** 5/5

THE UNDERWATER WELDER BY JEFF LEMIRE

A very big thankyou to furrybastard for posting this book in this thread!

This has to be one of the most heart-wrenching, poignant (and spooky) graphic novel I have a read for a while! Jeff Lemire's artwork is absolutely beautiful to behold and very evocative of William Blakes magnificent line drawings (i was a big fan of his growing up).

The story centres around Jack Joseph, an underwater welder. He is living with his girlfriend Susan and they're both expecting a baby soon. However Jack is haunted by the disappearance of his father on Halloween 20 years ago. He went diving one day and never came back. Jack cannot find peace. What happened to his father? Did he drown as was reported by the newspaper's at the time or did he move on?

One day Jack goes diving. And something happens........

He find's a pocket watch on the sea bed. He loses consciousness and someone call's out his name ''Jack...time to wake up....it's time....''

He is rescued by his work colleague. He is given leave from work by the doctor, but Jack does not want to go. Something is pulling him back to the deep.

Lemire does a fantastic job expressing these deep rooted question's and the trauma of losing a father through his beautiful artwork. Jack seem's selfish as a person, he want's to do what is right but he can't. He need's closure. It's interesting looking at the artwork because all the moment's of Jack on dry land are normal 9 panel pages (roughly). Even whole images have been made into panel's which make it look like Jack is stuck in prison, he is held by the shackles of his father's disappearance. And whenever he is underwater there are no (panel) restricction's. Jack is free when he is on his own with his own thought's. And that was the reason why Lemire drew it that way.

We get flashback's when we see Jack as a boy, interracting with his father. He is a likeable fellow, divorced from Jack's mother. These are very thoughtful, poignant moment's in the book. Little momen'ts like Jack's father giving him a pocket watch (which is key in the story).

I love the whole 'Twillight Zone' moment of the book when Jack walk's through the deserted town. He resembles his father wholly. He want's to get back to his wife but cannot leave the town. He is stuck and it is up to him to confront his past and make peace if he is to leave. And what follow's next is moving and heart-wrenching to say the least. I have to say I had a tear in my eye when I read it.

This graphic novel (alongside Habibi) has to be the best comic i've read this year without question. And deserves all the praise by everyone who has read it. I've found a new favourite writer/ artist in Jeff Lemire and cannot wait to read his other works.

''and if you're scared just take my hand, just hold on tight boy-o-mine, in my arm's you'll just be fine....''

THE UNDERWATER WELDER ***** 5/5

REVOLVER BY MATT KINDT

I really enjoyed this comic. The artwork by Kindt is maybe not to everyone's taste, but I quite liked it. Our protagonist Sam is stuck in a dead end job, with a materialistic girlfirend and a nagging boss. One day he wakes up and find's his whole city in disarray. There's been an atttack of some sort and the street's are littered with dead bodies, with chaos and looting everyehere. He rescue's his boss from her office and is confronted by her angry boyfriend who smashes both their faces in. But something clicks inside his mind. Sam is tired of being a victim and he snap's - killing him. That same night he goes to sleep and wakes up back in his 'normal' world. The chaos and insanity of yesterday is nowehere to be seen - just what the hell is going on? It seem's Sam is living in two world's, one where he lead's a boring, lifeless existence with a dead end job, and another where he has purpose and know's what he want's. The question is which one will he choose? And these alternate realities real, or just a figment of his imagination?

I quite liked how his journey progressed. And how he made choices which were in total contrast to what he would've done in his 'normal' world. However, I was left very unsatisfied with the ending and his decision to eliminate the perpetrator of the chaos made no sense. Or why he would do the same in the 'normal' world. Also, there is little in term's of character development - Sam as a person is rather unlikeable! I'd love to hear thought's from anyone else who has read this comic. Especially your views for the ending and the characters reason's for doing what he does. It wasn't too clear and was a little jarring. But still a worthy effort from Kindt.

REVOLVER *** 3.5/5

JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK BY JUSTIN GRAY. JIMMY PALMIOTTI
I've alway's been a big fan of Jonah Hex. Part of it stem's from my love of Western's. Especially all of Leone's masterworks and Eastwood's film's (from High Plain's Drifter to Unforgiven). In fact, the protagonist of the comic can easily fit into an Eastwood film, especially the aforementioned ones. This comic is beautiful at times, the artwork by Jimmy Palmiottti is really good, and expresses the character's feeling's expertly. The story is also top notch - Jonah Hex looking for his mother who deserted him as a young boy, and left him with his violent, alcoholic father. On his trail is a group of bandit's seeking revenge. It all comes together and prettty soon all hell break's loose! And on top of all the carnage Hex also has to deal with his half brother who he never knew about. It is a brilliantly written comic which read's like an excellent revenge western. I could almost envision Clint in the role of Hex, then again judging by the piss poor adaption Hollywood did recently, i'd say Clint has already played Jonah Hex in one of his earlier classic's like High Plain's Drifter or The Outlaw Josey Wales. This is an excellent read and I recommend it highly.

JONAH HEX: NO WAY BACK ***** 5/5

Currently reading IRONMAN: DEMON IN A BOTTLE and WOLVERINE: WOLVERINE'S REVENGE

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 17/8/2012 7:58:55 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 785
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 8:02:12 PM   
Harry Tuttle

That's a lovely review of The Underwater Welder, it's a brilliant read and, as has been stated many times, the artwork is absolutely beautiful. It's pretty much the benchmark for me this year. As far as monthlys go, Saga is blowing everything else out of the water for me but Underwater Welder is the best thing I've read this year.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 786
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 8:29:47 PM   
furrybastard

Straight up, undliuted comics madness! The real star here is artist Shaky Kane whose insane, Kirby-inspired art really sets this apart from any other comic of the last decade. It's filled with plenty of weird ideas, with the creators of the comic appearing as characters themselves in the story. The whole thing seems to be a thinly veiled metaphor for the comics industry/ Hine and Shaky Kane are the fathers of the 'Golden Age' of comics whose success threatens the Big One comics company which then buys them out and pushes the two creators into obscurity and acrimony whilst exploiting their original creations for profit and strips the characters and stories of all the imagination and fun that made them so popular in the first place. These old comics are then discovered by the main character who also finds a superhero costume. When he puts it on, he gets transported to the world of the comics and meets these famous characters within their own stories.
It's a funny, heartfelt series that isn't afraid to poke fun at itself. The sequel - The Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred - is out soon and I can't wait to pick it up.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 17/8/2012 8:31:46 PM >

Post #: 787
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 8:51:26 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

That's a lovely review of The Underwater Welder, it's a brilliant read and, as has been stated many times, the artwork is absolutely beautiful. It's pretty much the benchmark for me this year. As far as monthlys go, Saga is blowing everything else out of the water for me but Underwater Welder is the best thing I've read this year.

Thanks mate! I agree too that The Underwater Welder is without doubt the best comic of the year. Its such a touching, beautifully told story by Lemire. And that moment in the story just broke my heart....as for Saga - I definitely need to check it out!

Post #: 788
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 17/8/2012 9:01:45 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Thanks mate! I agree too that The Underwater Welder is without doubt the best comic of the year. Its such a touching, beautifully told story by Lemire. And that moment in the story just broke my heart....as for Saga - I definitely need to check it out!

You do. Everybody does, it's fantastic.

As furry said last month It's likely the first trade for it will sell stupid numbers, and it deserves to.

If I was to do any end of year awards it'd take something special to knock Welder and Saga from top spots as best Graphic Novel and best monthly respectively.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 789
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 18/8/2012 10:01:53 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

quote:

You do. Everybody does, it's fantastic.

As furry said last month It's likely the first trade for it will sell stupid numbers, and it deserves to.

If I was to do any end of year awards it'd take something special to knock Welder and Saga from top spots as best Graphic Novel and best monthly respectively.

I've looked into Saga and boy does it look good! I'm too late to pick up the story from the start so i'll wait for the trade to come out (in October if I remember correctly).

Also, just had an e-mail from The Book Depository stating that my pre-order of Prophet Volume 1 is available and the order is being processed - about time! I cannot wait to have this delivered. But Saga is also another sci-fi comic which I really, really need to read no matter what!

Post #: 790
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 20/8/2012 8:30:06 AM   
Chojin

Just reading through the specials - enjoyed this one, as they're all written by Ennis they seem to be the same quality as the main series

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 791
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/8/2012 2:39:43 PM   
indysgill

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 792
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/8/2012 3:49:20 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

These comics have passed me by! Honestly i've forgotten there was an offshot of Watchmen! Is it because I love Watchmen (the original) and see these comics as a rip off or a money making gimmick - who knows!

I did read that they're good apparently, i'd love to hear your thoughts when you're done Indysgill.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 793
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/8/2012 3:53:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I picked up three comic books to read;

1. VIOLENT CASES BY NEIL GAIMAN
2. FUN HOME BY ALISON BECHDEL
3. THE TWILLIGHT ZONE: THE ODYSSEY OF FLIGHT 33

Half way through the first book, and really enjoying it.

Post #: 794
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/8/2012 9:31:05 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

quote:

These comics have passed me by! Honestly i've forgotten there was an offshot of Watchmen! Is it because I love Watchmen (the original) and see these comics as a rip off or a money making gimmick - who knows!

I did read that they're good apparently, i'd love to hear your thoughts when you're done Indysgill.

Other than Darwyn Cooke's Minutemen, I'm hearing nothing but bad things. Silk Spectre seems to be the marmite of the lot, with Nite Owl, Rorschach and Comedian getting lambasted everywhere but the comic sites that do what they're told by their advertisers.

I do find reading the reviews interesting though and I'm far more interested in reading those than the actual comics

Post #: 795
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 21/8/2012 10:17:50 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

quote:

Other than Darwyn Cooke's Minutemen, I'm hearing nothing but bad things. Silk Spectre seems to be the marmite of the lot, with Nite Owl, Rorschach and Comedian getting lambasted everywhere but the comic sites that do what they're told by their advertisers.

I do find reading the reviews interesting though and I'm far more interested in reading those than the actual comics

I'm reading them at the minute and will be picking the latest issues on Saturday when I hit up my local Travelling Man this weekend. To be honest, I'm liking them, They were never going to be everyone's cup of tea, but they are an enjoyable read, nowhere near the original story, but enough to keep me coming back for more.

Post #: 796
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 22/8/2012 8:24:36 PM   
Chojin

Interesting - I get the feeling I should have read this whilst I read the series rather than leaving this until the end. I did feel that the SOK's back story was only touched upon and it was like I had missed a chapter.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 797
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/8/2012 1:28:37 AM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Interesting - I get the feeling I should have read this whilst I read the series rather than leaving this until the end. I did feel that the SOK's back story was only touched upon and it was like I had missed a chapter.

No offence to Ezquerra, he did help create Judge Dredd after all, but I didn't think his artwork suited the story. It needed someone with a grittier style. Its still a good story.

As for Beyond Watchmen, that's the only issue I have at the moment, I too forgot about the other until I sat the Rorschach on display. I liked it, its started off nicely and as always with Rorschach there will be some beatings later on.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 798
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/8/2012 9:42:35 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Straight up, undliuted comics madness! The real star here is artist Shaky Kane whose insane, Kirby-inspired art really sets this apart from any other comic of the last decade. It's filled with plenty of weird ideas, with the creators of the comic appearing as characters themselves in the story. The whole thing seems to be a thinly veiled metaphor for the comics industry/ Hine and Shaky Kane are the fathers of the 'Golden Age' of comics whose success threatens the Big One comics company which then buys them out and pushes the two creators into obscurity and acrimony whilst exploiting their original creations for profit and strips the characters and stories of all the imagination and fun that made them so popular in the first place. These old comics are then discovered by the main character who also finds a superhero costume. When he puts it on, he gets transported to the world of the comics and meets these famous characters within their own stories.
It's a funny, heartfelt series that isn't afraid to poke fun at itself. The sequel - The Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred - is out soon and I can't wait to pick it up.

This is a comic I must read! You're right, the artwork is very Kirby-esque (it remind's me of Mignola's artwork for Hellboy - which too was inspired by Kirby!). There's so much awesome stuff out there, but not enough time. It deosn't help that I do not have any comic shop's near where I live (i have to travel over to West London). Otherwise, comics like Bullet Proof Coffin would've already been sitting on my shelf!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/8/2012 9:44:18 AM >

Post #: 799
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/8/2012 12:28:15 PM   
jcthefirst

Cannot warm to this at all. The art is very pretty but doesn't feel right at all.

Although the Amadeus Arkham stuff is very good; the modern day Batman stuff is however kind of dull.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 800
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 23/8/2012 5:12:01 PM   
sanchia

It is nice to see someone else who thought that.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 801
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/8/2012 3:16:44 AM   
furrybastard

Arkham Asylum is a neat little idea for a comic but I'm not too fond of its execution either. I think it ultimately fails in what it sets out to do.

So does The Killing Joke in many ways, though that's a much more enjoyable read. I think people expect it to be more weighty and profound because of what Moore's reputation brings to it but from interviews I've read, he always seems to have intended it as more of a flippant, throwaway idea in a lot of ways.

To be honest, I like Knightfall more than Arkham Asylum

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 802
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 24/8/2012 11:18:23 AM   
Chojin

Just two specials left.....

This was probably the weakest of the specials i've read so far, it didn't add anything to the overall story really.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 803
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 26/8/2012 8:39:50 PM   
sanchia

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 804
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/8/2012 7:33:57 AM   
Chojin

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 805
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 27/8/2012 1:02:53 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Cannot warm to this at all. The art is very pretty but doesn't feel right at all.

Although the Amadeus Arkham stuff is very good; the modern day Batman stuff is however kind of dull.

I read this one whilst reading Batman R.I.P. and honestly, I think Morrison writes Batman a lot better now. If you look at the script (which is included in some versions of the book) it's clear he's just trying to do way too much. I think he approached it like it was going to be his one shot at a Batman storyline and just threw the kitchen sink in there!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 806
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 28/8/2012 7:32:06 AM   
Chojin

I'm enjoying reading through the early issues of astonishing spiderman and following the clone saga from the start. I was surprised to learn it only ran for two years of the US publication as it felt a lot longer reading it in the UK due to it being spread across quite a few years in Astonishing.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 807
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/8/2012 3:40:16 PM   
Sleazy

I just finished reading the run of Marvel Knights Spiderman and really enjoyed it. just starting on Sensational Spiderman.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 808
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/8/2012 7:13:32 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

I just finished reading the run of Marvel Knights Spiderman and really enjoyed it. just starting on Sensational Spiderman.

I'll soon be starting on Sensational Spiderman V1.....

As for me...

The clone has now appeared on the scene and despite the story taking place across all of the titles it does hold together.....kinda.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 809
RE: What comic book are you reading right now? - 29/8/2012 7:22:10 PM   
sanchia

The Clone Saga. What a treat you are in for,

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: What comic book are you reading right now? Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI